Drain3?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » drain3?
drain3?
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-09 19:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Absorbing Stats is fail don't do it. You hurt your overall DPS wasting time casting those spells just to get Decaying stats.

I hardly ever use them, and I can't even tell for sure if they'd work in Abyssea while under stat boost effect from the cruor prospector, because in Abyssea i would usually go as another job.

The best use I'd see for those spells would be if you were trying to lower a mob's specific resistance (Absorb VIT to grant grant higher melee dmg maybe?) to benefit the whole Alliance or Party.

I do agree for the most part though, decaying stats aren't so attractive
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-10-09 19:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Absorbing Stats is fail don't do it. You hurt your overall DPS wasting time casting those spells just to get Decaying stats.
I hardly ever use them, and I can't even tell for sure if they'd work in Abyssea while under stat boost effect from the cruor prospector, because in Abyssea i would usually go as another job. The best use I'd see for those spells would be if you were trying to lower a mob's specific resistance (Absorb VIT to grant grant higher melee dmg maybe?) to benefit the whole Alliance or Party. I do agree for the most part though, decaying stats aren't so attractive
absorb spells are awesome....wtf you talking
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-09 19:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Absorb-INT is the only worthwhile Absorb-Stat spell. Adjusting the targets dINT before a volley of nukes is always welcome, and anything in a situation that would justify this, generally means Low man, or DRK tanking, where your own DPS is secondary, or obscure situations like Lusca during Mollusks Mutation.

Before you start wasting space on something like an Absorb-Stat set (which sacrifices way too much magic accuracy anyway) or an Elemental Nuke set, it's more productive to form Idle(Regen and/or Refresh) Blood tank(PDT-) sets for DRK.

This is personally how I prioritize(d) my sets on DRK.

1.DPS
a.Haste
b.Weapon Skill

2.Dark Magic

3.Dread Spikes

4.Idle
a.PDT-%
b.Refresh
c.Regen

5.Level a Mage Job

6.Elemental Magic Set

7.Cancel FFXI account

8.Plastron-Set Absorb build.

If DRK ever gets a truly Viable Dark-Magic based nuke, I'll put a specific MAB build under the Dark Magic build section, as it stands now, I can't see any reason to go further than a regenerative idle set, when I already have Scholar leveled.
By Sheelay 2010-10-09 19:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Absorb-INT is the only worthwhile Absorb-Stat spell. Adjusting the targets dINT before a volley of nukes is always welcome, and anything in a situation that would justify this, generally means Low man, or DRK tanking, where your own DPS is secondary, or obscure situations like Lusca during Mollusks Mutation.

Before you start wasting space on something like an Absorb-Stat set (which sacrifices way too much magic accuracy anyway) or an Elemental Nuke set, it's more productive to form Idle(Regen and/or Refresh) Blood tank(PDT-) sets for DRK.

This is personally how I prioritize(d) my sets on DRK.

1.DPS
a.Haste
b.Weapon Skill

2.Dark Magic

3.Dread Spikes

4.Idle
a.PDT-%
b.Refresh
c.Regen

5.Level a Mage Job

6.Elemental Magic Set

7.Cancel FFXI account

8.Plastron-Set Absorb build.

If DRK ever gets a truly Viable Dark-Magic based nuke, I'll put a specific MAB build under the Dark Magic build section, as it stands now, I can't see any reason to go further than a regenerative idle set, when I already have Scholar leveled.

XD
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-09 20:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Plastron Oriented Absorb set is much different than just casting the spell in already-existing dark magic set D:
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-09 20:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Plastron grants a longer duration though. Supposively that could also mean the mob you absorbed stas from takes longer to return to its' full status.
That could potentially increase the window for nuking
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-10-10 11:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed one of your builds on 1st page had balrahns and excelsis then another build had omega, so assuming you have access to all three anyway it would be better just to pair omega with excelsis and drop balrahns unless youre in an assault or salvage.

Only really pointing it out because only last week I was going through my blm macros removing balrahns on aspir/drain macros for excelsis coupled with omega. Balrahns for me now is just an enfeebling set ring.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-10 12:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Plastron grants a longer duration though. Supposively that could also mean the mob you absorbed stas from takes longer to return to its' full status.

It doesn't. You retain the buff longer, and it decays slower, but the monster's Stat-Down will decay at a normal rate, unless something changed in the last couple years since I tried.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-10-10 14:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Yajarumijiju said:
i hope we got absorn-hp

and absorb-mp to cuz i run out of mp alot of times

You do, it's called Drain II.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-10 17:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Really need Absorb-Delay: get +18% haste for you that decays over time.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-10 21:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Odin.Sheelay said:

It doesn't. You retain the buff longer, and it decays slower, but the monster's Stat-Down will decay at a normal rate, unless something changed in the last couple years since I tried.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know someone had actually tested it. Tha's why I was only guessing about it.
With that being said, Absorb-Stat spells really become so situational they're not worth a dedicated build.

Sylph.Krsone said:
I noticed one of your builds on 1st page had balrahns and excelsis then another build had omega, so assuming you have access to all three anyway it would be better just to pair omega with excelsis and drop balrahns unless youre in an assault or salvage.

Only really pointing it out because only last week I was going through my blm macros removing balrahns on aspir/drain macros for excelsis coupled with omega. Balrahns for me now is just an enfeebling set ring.

Yes, I have (or had? Idk if they're still at it now since I'm taking a break} a Salvage group so it turns out pretty useful.
Bare with me, all those sets I posted were ideal sets to prove a point.
I'm nowhere near having all the gear required for them (although I will try get some when I come back on game).
But i thought INT did not affect Dark magic (properly?), so I favored Balrahn over Omega for that 1 extra macc alone.

Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-10-10 21:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Wrongtheboss said:

Vic. Mufs dont boost aspir/drain, but only Absorb-Stat. spells.

The Aspir/Drain set is above that. Sheelay put the title below the set instead of up top.

---

I think Absorb-Atk would be cool or Absorb-Def
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-10 21:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinako said:
Ragnarok.Wrongtheboss said:

Vic. Mufs dont boost aspir/drain, but only Absorb-Stat. spells.

The Aspir/Drain set is above that. Sheelay put the title below the set instead of up top.

---

I think Absorb-Atk would be cool or Absorb-Def

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm use to putting a description or title below.

If SE wants DRK to nuke more often they could even add Absorb Macc or Mab

We will see if they had actually thougt things through or they're simply pulling whatever they got left out of the hat
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-10 22:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually use my Vicious mufflers + Black cuisses for absorb-attribute spells, and in the other slots just equip my standard dark magic set. (don't go full out plastron set...)

Truth is... I almost never find myself casting absorb-atribute spells because it's simply inefficient to do so on most situations.

However, I still equip those things in for absorb-attribute spells because it's just a matter of making a simple rule with spellcast, and the fact that I already had vicious mufflers and black cuisses...and used them in other sets already anyway. (v-mufflers for BioII, black cuises for WS etc.)
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-11 00:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why Vicious Mufflers for Bio? You should be using Crimson/Blood Hands or AF2 Hands.

I am pretty sure MAB doesnt effect bio unless I am mistaken?
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-11 01:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Giazz claimed earlier that MAB affected Bio's initial DMG.
I find plausible tbh, and since there hasn't been any confirmation as to how much Dark Magic skill would be required to go past the 8 dmg/tic, the initial dmg would be the next way to improve the spell.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-11 01:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Why Vicious Mufflers for Bio? You should be using Crimson/Blood Hands or AF2 Hands.

The dmg per tic is increased in tiers with Dark magic skill only.

More specifically, for Bio II:

With:

Dark Magic Skill 200 - 210 = 5/tick
Dark Magic Skill 211 - 268 = 6/tick
Dark Magic Skill 269 - 290 = 7/tick
Dark Magic Skill 291 - ??? = 8/tick

However, Magic Attack bonus does increase the initial damage of Bio.

This is my current Bio set:

With capped Dark magic skill and 8/8 Dark magic merits, I have more than enough skill for the 8/tick Bio II, therefore, I also equip a few MAB pieces in order to increase the initial damage of my Bio II.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-10-11 01:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Might be wrong here BUT I always thought that MAB did nothing for BIO... You're better off stacking Dark Magic Skill > Magic Acc > then INT/ Fast Cast gears in your sets...
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-11 01:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Is 8/tick the cap?
Or would it be possible to go further up with the dmg?
 Bahamut.Aiyana
Server: Bahamut
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-11 01:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:

Oh, but that wouldn't be Haste now would it? Sounds more like 18% weapon delay reduction (Sword Strap) and a nightmare on TP builds! Be careful what you wish for.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-11 01:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Might be wrong here BUT I always thought that MAB did nothing for BIO... You're better off stacking Dark Magic Skill > Magic Acc > then INT/ Fast Cast gears in your sets...

MAB increases the initial damage of Bio.

Odin.Sheelay said:
Is 8/tick the cap?
(Gotta keep in mind that Bio III starts with 9/tick once unlocked)

Well BioIII is 7/tic with 210 dark skill, 8/tic with 211-250 dark skill, 9/tic with 251-??? dark skill.

That being said, I'm not aware of new Bio II/Bio III testing, or if a new "tier" has been found with the level cap increase and higher skill now. Those values listed were the ones found originally.

They could have a cap, or there might be a new tier...but that hasn't been found if there is such a higher Bio tier now, as far as I know. (Also... that Bio set I have, I made it based on those Bio tiers at 75, and again..they don't seem to have changed, as far as I know.)
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-11 01:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Is 8/tick the cap?

8 Tic was the Cap at 75, I am sure there is a new cap at 85, our Dark Magic skill has gone up alot since then.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-11 08:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Oh, but that wouldn't be Haste now would it? Sounds more like 18% weapon delay reduction (Sword Strap) and a nightmare on TP builds! Be careful what you wish for.

lol I'm sure they wouldn't be that gay.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-10-11 08:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
lol I'm sure they wouldn't be that gay.
they did make ffxiv after all >.>
 Jar
By Jar 2010-10-11 13:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Well if you're going to post all those magic gear sets, Sheelay, besides the ones you already mentioned, there's also:

-Dreadspikes set. (HP, dark skill, and some Fastcast from homam and loquacios etc.)

-Enfeebling magic set. (enfeeb skill/magic acc, and INT etc.)

-Bio set. (Bio set consisting of some magic attack bonus to increase the initial dmg of bio, and...of course, also Dark magic skill for the per tick dmg. At least 291+ dark skill gives the 8/tick BioII, which shouldn't be a problem to achieve.)

drk with full DM merits has 340 base skill now so i sure as hell hope ppl have 291+.....
 Jar
By Jar 2010-10-11 13:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

The dmg per tic is increased in tiers with Dark magic skill only.

More specifically, for Bio II:

With:

Dark Magic Skill 200 - 210 = 5/tick
Dark Magic Skill 211 - 268 = 6/tick
Dark Magic Skill 269 - 290 = 7/tick
Dark Magic Skill 291 - ??? = 8/tick

However, Magic Attack bonus does increase the initial damage of Bio.

This is my current Bio set:

With capped Dark magic skill and 8/8 Dark magic merits, I have more than enough skill for the 8/tick Bio II, therefore, I also equip a few MAB pieces in order to increase the initial damage of my Bio II.

Im actually wondering about how the BIO caps work out at 85 now i have over 365 skill on DRK in full skill gear now would think we got at least 9/tic with that lol
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-10-11 13:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I still want Absorb-EXP and Absorb-GIL... hell, maybe Absorb-Cruor too now. lol That would be nice.
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-10-11 13:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkmacabre said:
I still want Absorb-EXP and Absorb-GIL... hell, maybe Absorb-Cruor too now. lol That would be nice.

I'd level drk..
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-10-11 13:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
 Asura.Djcarlos
Server: Asura
By Asura.Djcarlos 2010-10-11 14:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be nice to see a increase to the duration of absorb stat spells. Most time it doesn't help to absorb stats save a few exceptions, cause its taking from your DPS having to keep casting especially since Endark would be better to be spamming. Also it doesn't help the stats abosrbed diminish over time. It would also be nice say if Absorb-Acc cured blind and etc to other stats. If they lasted longer and did't dimish over time they could be more viable.