What DRK's Best Magian Scythes?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » What DRK's best Magian Scythes?
What DRK's best Magian Scythes?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-03 08:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
I would definately go for the reckoning and a 5 hit build. (assuming you have proper gear for it) The new +50str +5%DA +regain atma favors reckoning more because it will let you cap FSTR on higher difficulty mobs a lot easier. This will negate some of the advantage of the OAT scythe because it has a much much lower FSTR cap. The fact the atma also gives regain and double attack favors reckoning as well.

Also, you guys should realize that the addition of so much new double attack gear will gradually undermine the effectiveness of the OAT scythe be reducing the relative averages of additional attacks. This means that the higher double attack rating you get the more and more ineffective OAT will become.

Good post, but just for the record, the Double Attack effect from Atma of the Voracious Violet is actually 10%, not 5%, unless I was getting some phantom double attack somehow else when I tested it. (9.93% double attack rate over 2,000 attacks in Abyssea Party, brutal/pole not used, and this was before AF3+1 DRK head)

Given the Haste Gear potential, the absolute power of Quietus and the availability of Atma, I have no qualms going out on a limb and saying Penitence +1 is the best Scythe currently for Dark Knight, as a Damage Dealer. Redemption obviously wins but let's think realistically as long as you can maintain a 6hit with the 501 Delay.
 Caitsith.Jar
Server: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 08:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Asura.Magicide said:
I'm currently using the Reckoning +1 with +10 STP, and it's definitely the one I'd recommend for someone asking. It's stupidly easy to get, (just takes a little grinding, everything's easy to find), 113 base damage, and you barely have to sneeze on it with STP gear to get a 5-hit. Here's the build I use.

(Reckoning has +10 STP, legs are +3 haste/+7 accuracy, and Jupiter's ring has +6 attack).

Assuming /SAM this 5hits on 3/4-hit guillotines, even when you swap ammo/feet for WS. It's pretty nice.

The other option I'd consider seriously is the Penitence +1 (NQ Empyrean). A linkshell mate has the Great Katana and even without aftermath, Tachi: Fudo is unbelievable (mob-depending, I'm comfortable saying it can easily outdamage an Amano). Everything I've heard indicates that Quietus is just as good. Getting the coins from WoE is a pain, but with a good group fluxes 1-2 can be low-manned.

The OAT is beastly and the OA2-3 has specialty uses but both require more grinding than the Penitence +1 and I've a strong feeling the Penitence +1 will crush either.

I would highly recommend getting a Rose strap, would put you at True 5-hit. Would let you Ditch the White Tathlum for a Bomb Core or Fire Bomblet. Also I hope your not TP'ing in AF2 head, did you mean to add Bale Burgeonet +1 to that set?

<_< im pretend you didnt really just put that =/
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-03 08:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Blitz ring would still be better than that Monster Jupiter's ring too. I also assumed the Abyss Burgeonet was a mistake, since it's also the +1 version, and let's be frank about it, even the HQ is devoid of any value.

Edit*Ninja'd. Still, get a Blitz Ring for TP!
 Asura.Magicide
Server: Asura
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 08:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

I would highly recommend getting a Rose strap, would put you at True 5-hit. Would let you Ditch the White Tathlum for a Bomb Core or Fire Bomblet. Also I hope your not TP'ing in AF2 head, did you mean to add Bale Burgeonet +1 to that set?
Crap. Yeah, that's obviously supposed to be Bale Burgeonet +1 not Abyss. /flees /needscoffee

I choose not to go for a rose strap for several reasons:

1) Campaign rots my soul. Every time I commit to myself that I'm going to do more of it, I can't stand it and wind up losing my medal. Just hate it.

2) The 2% DA from a pole grip should mean more overall DOT than a Fire Bomblet. Plus you can swap out the Tathlum for WS and not dump your TP.

3) True hit builds are overrated for non-apoc DRK. The days of colibri-only are dead, and most organized fights (einherjar, dynamis, etc) you're opening up with 200% TP for Sekki-WS-WS anyway.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 08:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Crap. Yeah, that's obviously supposed to be Bale Burgeonet +1 not Abyss. /flees /needscoffee

1) Campaign rots my soul. Every time I commit to myself that I'm going to do more of it, I can't stand it and wind up losing my medal. Just hate it.

2) The 2% DA from a pole grip should mean more overall DOT than a Fire Bomblet. Plus you can swap out the Tathlum for WS and not dump your TP.

3) True hit builds are overrated for non-apoc DRK. The days of colibri-only are dead, and most organized fights (einherjar, dynamis, etc) you're opening up with 200% TP for Sekki-WS-WS anyway.

I so didnt say that lol, you messed up that quote

Gradd is the rosestraplover not me :x
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 08:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Bleh even with multi-hit I prefer having a true, cant stand when you do miss those x-ammount of hits of Guillotine and you end up on 99 TP drives me insane.

Your boots are damn sexy tho, hoping to get a pair soon D:
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 08:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Rose Strap is amazing, just saying~
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a scythe thread but I want to know something.

For a Kalavejs +1(DMG98 Delay:456 STP+8) weapon skilling in +18 STP gear how much TP would spinning slash give when /sam? trying to make a 7hit 6hit rebuild for when SE gives me King's justice great sword addition.
 Asura.Magicide
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 09:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

I clearly shouldn't be active on teh interwebz without caffeine in my system.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Rose Strap is amazing, just saying~

Rose Strap is amazing, When it is physically needed for an x-hit tier*
fix it for ya bro
 Asura.Magicide
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 09:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

For a Kalavejs +1(DMG98 Delay:456 STP+8) weapon skilling in +18 STP gear how much TP would spinning slash give when /sam? trying to make a 7hit 6hit rebuild for when SE gives me King's justice great sword addition.
Not sure if your +18 includes the great sword or not, but if it doesn't (in other words you have 15 from SAM sub, 8 from sword, 18 from other gear) a spinning slash should give 16.6 TP.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 09:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

15.6 Go download FFXICalc, you can put the numbers in yourself using that for future reference.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Not sure if your +18 includes the great sword or not, but if it doesn't (in other words you have 15 from SAM sub, 8 from sword, 18 from other gear) a spinning slash should give 16.6 TP.

oh it did have sword put in :x sorry for not saying
 Asura.Magicide
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 09:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

Just for reference, on a 456 delay weapon you need any of the following for a 6-hit build using Spinning Slash, in total STP gear (including weapon) but not including /SAM.

TP/WS
27/27
28/21
29/17
30/8

In other words you need +27 STP gear if you don't gear swap out of any of it for WS, with +28 in your TP set you can drop down to +21 for WS, and so forth.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 09:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Not sure if im reading right Because its early and I havent slept yet, so youd be weapon skilling in 18STP /sam and using sword strap? If so youd be getting 15.0 TP after WS.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Not sure if im reading right Because its early and I havent slept yet, so youd be weapon skilling in 18STP /sam and using sword strap? If so youd be getting 15.0 TP after WS.
you sir are getting moreer retardeder every post
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

Just for reference, on a 456 delay weapon you need any of the following for a 6-hit build using Spinning Slash, in total STP gear (including weapon) but not including /SAM.

TP/WS
27/27
28/21
29/17
30/8

In other words you need +27 STP gear if you don't gear swap out of any of it for WS, with +28 in your TP set you can drop down to +21 for WS, and so forth.

that 29/17 looks ideal now to go look for gear to make the set :x
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 09:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

I'm not the one using Harvest and Minuet Earrings but yea, 7AM havent slept bleh :/
[+]
 Asura.Magicide
By Asura.Magicide 2010-10-03 09:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:

that 29/17 looks ideal now to go look for gear to make the set :x
The first one in my list should actually be 27/25 but w/e. Rajas/Brutal/Rose Strap/White Tathlum/Goading Belt/Ace's Sabatons will get you there straight off the top.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-10-03 09:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

I'm not the one using Harvest and Minuet Earrings but yea, 7AM havent slept bleh :/

All that said was your a *** in the mornings also if your sleepy go to bed, and what about my dirt cheep STR earrings makes them a viable reason to rank my intelligence low?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 09:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Caitsith.Jar said:
Asura.Magicide said:
Caitsith.Jar said:

All that said was your a *** in the mornings also if your sleepy go to bed, and what about my dirt cheep STR earrings makes them a viable reason to rank my intelligence low?
I'm an Ex Marine im always a *** :/

Intelligence would say............ Assault/Brutal (guessing you dont have Divine Might done, or you picked Suppa for your blu, and god blu is *** amazing now D:)

Unless you just finished CoP, and are currently working towards Brutal. Then hey I apolagize but you insulted me first O:

Also assault is pretty damn cheap now, way cheaper than when I got mine <.<

Also didnt Ichigo kill you? Keep meaning to ask :(
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-03 09:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc 85 5-hit > Redemption 85 + sword strap = Apoc 85 6-hit > Penitence 85 = Maleficence +1 6-hit > Reckoning 5-hit > Absolution +1 > everything else.

That's what I think anyways
edit: whoosh... OAT benefits more from capped STR than everything else.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 10:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Apoc 85 5-hit > Redemption 85 + sword strap = Apoc 85 6-hit > Penitence 85 = Maleficence +1 6-hit > Reckoning 5-hit > Absolution +1 > everything else.

That's what I think anyways
inb4 someone comments on WHY ISNT OAT ON TOP
(the reasons I didn't put OAT on top, like everyone else: Atma of the VV, Brutal earring, TP overflow, and less benefits from STR being capped.... unless I'm whooshing and STR capped benefits Maleficence +1)

I would put Liberator in there somewhere, according to Kirschy its actually very strong, parses just under Apoc if used correctly.

Somebody make Golden bat pop so I can pass out D;
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-03 10:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm.... forgot to add OAT 5-hit (It'd blow anything non-empyrean out of the water), Penitence 5-hit, Liberator 5-hit..... 5-hits require top gear, though
 Leviathan.Solanis
Server: Leviathan
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-10-03 10:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I currently use the OAT, since it was far and away the best before this most recent update. it took a ridiculous amount of time and support from my friends to get it done. so how do you think I feel now that currently, in non-zerg situations (aka without souleater up) the stp scythe 5-hit beats out any of the other magian scythes, aside from the Quietus scythe since there isn't any data on the WS's potential.

that being said, a 5-hit on the OAT of course will destroy everything else again. it's very difficult to get a 5-hit with current gear choices, but (especially with ace's sabatons) it's possible, and probably viable in abyssea with good selection of atma.

if you're trying to pick a scythe to do atm, I'd say do the stp scythe, since it's absurdly easy to get. but I wouldn't expect it to stay on top for very long. its charm is an easy 5-hit, but after the next update I expect there to be even more stp gear available, making a 5-hit on a 528 delay much easier. a 4-hit simply takes too much stp gear and will likely never be possible. at that point, the OAT (along with base damage upgrades or w/e else it gets in addition) will probably come out on top again.

on an irrational note though, I'd say get the OAT. it's an incredibly gratifying scythe; the visual rate at which you get tp will warm your heart and cheer you up any day. even if it doesn't turn out to be the best scythe at 99, I won't regret making it.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 10:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Solanis said:
I currently use the OAT, since it was far and away the best before this most recent update. it took a ridiculous amount of time and support from my friends to get it done. so how do you think I feel now that currently, in non-zerg situations (aka without souleater up) the stp scythe 5-hit beats out any of the other magian scythes, aside from the Quietus scythe since there isn't any data on the WS's potential.

that being said, a 5-hit on the OAT of course will destroy everything else again. it's very difficult to get a 5-hit with current gear choices, but (especially with ace's sabatons) it's possible, and probably viable in abyssea with good selection of atma.

if you're trying to pick a scythe to do atm, I'd say do the stp scythe, since it's absurdly easy to get. but I wouldn't expect it to stay on top for very long. its charm is an easy 5-hit, but after the next update I expect there to be even more stp gear available, making a 5-hit on a 528 delay much easier. a 4-hit simply takes too much stp gear and will likely never be possible. at that point, the OAT (along with base damage upgrades or w/e else it gets in addition) will probably come out on top again.

on an irrational note though, I'd say get the OAT. it's an incredibly gratifying scythe; the visual rate at which you get tp will warm your heart and cheer you up any day. even if it doesn't turn out to be the best scythe at 99, I won't regret making it.

Your OAT is still the Best Non Relic/Mythic/Empyrean Weapon youve got nothing to worry about that. :3 The 85 Version is 90 Damage 3 Less than Liberator was at 75, which to me is pretty damn mean, your still going to be hitting hard Guillotines with that monster. You pretty much have an Unaugmented Liberator if its fully upgraded atm <.<

With that being said 2/3 Golden Bat im gonna pass out~ *** took 4 hours to pop T.T
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-03 10:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

After 18 Verthandi and only seeing 4 Eyes, I abandoned hope for the OAT. I still think the Penitence+1 will beat even the 5hit OAT, though doing Walk of Echoes without 10-15 mules to block MPK noobs is a pain in the ***. Quietus basically does 3 times the damage of the fully upgraded OAT Scythe's Guillotines, and it is incredibly effective on HNM targets, either it receives a pDIF boost, or the "Ignores Defense" TP bonus is more significant than something like Wheeling Thrust.

What changed with Liberator that made it good? The Original was getting worked over by Perdu Sickles...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-10-03 10:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't seen any numbers from Quietus, mind linking?
 Leviathan.Solanis
Server: Leviathan
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-10-03 10:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
After 18 Verthandi and only seeing 4 Eyes, I abandoned hope for the OAT. I still think the Penitence+1 will beat even the 5hit OAT, though doing Walk of Echoes without 10-15 mules to block MPK noobs is a pain in the ***. Quietus basically does 3 times the damage of the fully upgraded OAT Scythe's Guillotines, and it is incredibly effective on HNM targets, either it receives a pDIF boost, or the "Ignores Defense" TP bonus is more significant than something like Wheeling Thrust. What changed with Liberator that made it good? The Original was getting worked over by Perdu Sickles...

I haven't seen any data on Quietus whatsoever, I second the request for a link.

it would be very easy for me to finish it, since my ls does WoE, but I've been waiting for some serious information before even starting.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 10:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
After 18 Verthandi and only seeing 4 Eyes, I abandoned hope for the OAT. I still think the Penitence+1 will beat even the 5hit OAT, though doing Walk of Echoes without 10-15 mules to block MPK noobs is a pain in the ***. Quietus basically does 3 times the damage of the fully upgraded OAT Scythe's Guillotines, and it is incredibly effective on HNM targets, either it receives a pDIF boost, or the "Ignores Defense" TP bonus is more significant than something like Wheeling Thrust.

What changed with Liberator that made it good? The Original was getting worked over by Perdu Sickles...

My Last post.

Its called keeping up AM3, it turns the scythe into a monster, its also not very hard to do you just need to keep your timing right. Kirschy said you just have to pay more attention than the norm when using it if I remember right.

If a Perdu sickle was beating this weapon, then the player using it had no clue how to use their mythic.

Build up AM3 Insurgency >>> Spam Guillotine until AM3 is gone >>> Build AM3 Back up >>> Spam Guillotine Some More >>> Repeat

Atleast thats how Kirschy put it, it parses just under apoc if used correctly.