Gear question
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Helix
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-11 08:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to start leveling my 40 nin again. I have camped and got the jujitsu gi and sitabaki, got my hairpin and dodge earrings, got a venerer ring and snipers ring...gonna get a spirit torque...etc...trying to get the best of the best for this level nin.

My question is about hands. I don't mind camping the punisher for Ochimusha Kote, tho I am 0/10 at the moment but I was looking at the Horomusha Kote to just buy. Both versions of Okote are def 8, attack +20 and evasion -5. The Horomusha's are def 7 and att +15...no evasion down.

My question...is the +5 att worth the -5 evasion? I hear people praising both hands so I'm kinda lost. Yeah if I camp the Ochimusha, they are free (well not really, i could be farming gil during that time). The Horomusha's are like 150k on my server, the Ochiodo like 235k to 250k.

Which is better for a lvl 40 nin?

I'm working on Sarutobi Kyan at the same time, I drop the Punisher or his placeholder and then run to the other side and drop Quu domi or his placeholder...keeps me from being bored...lol

Thanks for the help
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-11 09:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I would use the 20attack gloves (rare ex or AH).

You might be able to evade a lot at your current level, but very soon your only option will be to DD for hate. So you will need the gloves then, so might as well get them now
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 09:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yonin, High breath mantle, and pizza/sushi say hi!

i.e. camp/buy okotes!
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-11 09:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you. I kinda had a feeling that was going to be the answer, but I thought I would ask just to make sure. My gut told me the AH version was 100k more than the Horomusha for a reason.

Edit: I find that when the prices are drastically different on similar things...there is usually a reason.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-11 10:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

well snap...0/12 now on mee deggi....argh! Question #2...I realize haste is good, but in reference to the sarutobi kyan/fuma khyan...they like +3 haste I think...oh wow. Even if I dropped the 200k for 2 blitz rings....thats a whopping 5%...wouldn't say leaping or bounding boots with +3 dex and +3 agil suffice for this level? No really...just asking.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-11 10:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah..... nin can't use blitz ring and you'd have to pay 1.2m for 2 of them, which you can't have since it's rare. You'd have 7% haste with a Swift Belt.
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-11 10:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

what do you need spirit torque for? go with peacock

carry a few high breath mantles and dont forget to macro in + enmity gear for voke and use Kurayami: Ni (Blind)
Hojo: Ni (Slow) when needed. ichi spells arent worth it cause of long casting time.

save 100tp towards the end and open up with weapon skill if you are having enmity problems

stick with Blade: Retsu till Jin

stick with haste feet and use quick belt till swift. later use zeal cap.

last thing use Plate Of Dorado Sushi when not doing birds. for birds use crab sushi.

do you have rajas ring for nin? if so use it
[+]
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-11 12:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

whoa...heavy info...no I suck,,,no raja ring. and you know what, i never read the blitz thing...i just "a-s=s=u-m-e-d...yeah that's bad....

but anywho...we wil digest this info and do our best...Kuraynami :ni...that's lvl 44 i think..not there yet...meh...irrelevant the level...not there yet

thanks for trying tho!
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-11 12:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

the reason I suggest to carry a few high breath mantles with you is, because when level sync wear or you change zones your timer on it will be off

oh and dont say stuff is irrelevant unless your nin plans to be @lv 40 for ever
 Lye
By Lye 2010-08-11 14:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nin pre 75-80 can wear w/e. Get evasion merits on your main.
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-11 14:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said:

evasion wont help you if you cant keep hate
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-12 07:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't mean it was irrelevant completely, I meant at lvl 40 I can't use those spells. That didn't come off sounding right...sorry bout that. I'll grab some mantles and see if I can find anyone to do "Under Observation". I've done it several times with other Bst but I personally never got the drop on my orb.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-08-12 07:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Go INT gear, Ni nukes and rdm sub!? Rape your gil and spin that wheel, It's the best part of NIN, and nobody should ever miss out on it.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2010-08-15 14:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Lye said:

You won't keep hate on collibri anyways.
By darkmaffxi 2010-08-15 15:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said:
Seraph.Rafik said:
Lye said:

You won't keep hate on collibri anyways.

You sound like a fail nin. Nin can do it just takes more effort.

I had no problems keeping hate. Actually I held hate better than most paladins did. Unless you get stupid dd who ws at start of the fight and dragoons who dont high jump after they weapon skill etc. and after that they talk ***about how they steal hate from the nin in linkshell chat. It shouldnt be a problem if you kill fast, nin can wear dd gear.

I had the luxury of having swift belt, rajas ring other haste gear, spamed crab sushi on birds, never used yonin and also had +enmity merits etc in before level cap increase

[+]
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-27 14:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have another question.

I've leveled my nin to 50 now but my throwing skill is just worse than pitiful. So I decided I'd back track and do some skill ups on "too weak" and at least start geting it close to decent. While I was at AH getting a cheap boomerang to use, I get the bright idea "hey! I should get a G. katana and skill that up a little too" (for my soon to come up sam.)

Well here's the thing, I'm kinda liking GK on nin. I know it's not a prime tanking weapon. My question...aside from delay and "B' skill, what disadvantages are there to nin using a GK?

Yes it's a "B" but isn't sam polearm a "B" skill also? I'm not meaning to full time GK a nin by any means...just wondered if and when it's a viable alternative...

Thanks for the info!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By darkmaffxi 2010-08-27 14:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam weapon skills sucks, until you get Tachi: Yukikaze. If you have a sam already leveled you would know this.

That is why polearm is so sexy for sam, especially on birds.

Also nin cant use Gekko or Yukki

and nin isnt B in GK it is C-

There arent many GK that a nin can equip. Not worth it.

So stay away from GK on nin. Nin cant even use the good GK weapons skills or good great katanas.

Skill up great katana on nin if you want, but dont use it in parties.
By darkmaffxi 2010-08-27 14:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

you can pull of dagger on nin. if you are a rich nin you can use Mercurial Kris.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-27 14:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason I was thinking it was B...oh well. I had noticed the GK selection basically sucked so that was my first clue. Never hurts to ask tho.

I'll leave it out of pt's...my main focus is on skilling up throwing...this was just an afterthought.

Thanks!

Nope, not a rich nin...lol. Not that rich anyway.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Fyrestorm
Server: Sylph
user: Fyrestorm
By Sylph.Fyrestorm 2010-08-27 16:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
Go INT gear, Ni nukes and rdm sub!? Rape your gil and spin that wheel, It's the best part of NIN, and nobody should ever miss out on it.

This ^. Great fun.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-28 07:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah this is a grind. I'm still miles away from decent skill on throwing. I feel like in the end, it's going to be worth it though. I just wish the delay wasn't so irritating. I basically throw, draw GK and throw and throw and throw...lol occasionally i let the GK swing for a point or 2 here and there.
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-28 08:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:

carry a few high breath mantles and dont forget to macro in + enmity gear for voke and use Kurayami: Ni (Blind)
Hojo: Ni (Slow) when needed. ichi spells arent worth it cause of long casting time.

save 100tp towards the end and open up with weapon skill if you are having enmity problems

last thing use Plate Of Dorado Sushi when not doing birds. for birds use crab sushi.

All good advice here... And no you don't really NEED okotes or pcc or rajas to effectively play NIN... Helpful and nice for any SAM/NIN/MNK, but not required.
 Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-28 09:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks...I did get O.kotes, emporer (yes the blue one) hair pin and fuma kyan. I'm still touting my spirit torque for +5 eva...have had no luck getting pcc to drop and i ain't buying it! Unless of course you feel so sorry for me you want to contribute 1.3 mil gil to the "enhance Helix's nin cause"....otherwise...it's this till chiv chain...so ...

thats kinda that
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-28 10:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Iphigenia said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

All good advice here... And no you don't really NEED okotes or pcc or rajas to effectively play NIN... Helpful and nice for any SAM/NIN/MNK, but not required.

PCC is "needed" imo, even with 8/8 katana merits I have baaaad acc, some of it because im elvaan I guess, but most melee jobs except for nin and pup (i think) have A+ in in their respective weapons, while nin only have A-. ofc sushi will help, but i recall according to ffxi calculator before lv cap increase, I think I had around 85% hit rate on greater colibri when eating crab sushi.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-28 10:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

PCC is "needed" imo, even with 8/8 katana merits I have baaaad acc, some of it because im elvaan I guess, but most melee jobs except for nin and pup (i think) have A+ in in their respective weapons, while nin only have A-. ofc sushi will help, but i recall according to ffxi calculator before lv cap increase, I think I had around 85% hit rate on greater colibri when eating crab sushi.

Maybe race specific? I didnt use one :O
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-28 10:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

Maybe race specific? I didnt use one :O

The only race specific about this would be that elvaan has less dex than other races, but even so, if elvaan 75 with 8/8 katana merits using PCC & crab sushi on greater colibri having a hit rate of ~85%, I doubt that any other race would reach hit rate cap without PCC. Even though the low DEX for elvaan makes some difference, its not that much.

edit: With the current DEX I have at lv 80 and with the gear I used at lv 75 together with crab sushi I land on 92% hit rate.

Basically, you can never have too much acc as nin.

Edit 2: As for the OP's question. At your lv it doesnt really matter that much what gear you use, but EVA wont do you much good at any lv, except for certain low man situations (charby tanking and such). In your everyday party/abyssea situation you might as well gear ACC/DD as much as possible. Once you are high enough for mages to have haste (you're in the 40's now?) you shouldnt have much problem with keeping shadows up on regular exp mobs, and if you can get march onn top of that too, its a piece of cake.

Even so, its usually a good idea to keep a few eva pieces with you, eva torque, boxer, SH(+1), but those arent really worth TP'ing in in most cases.

This is my current TP set on nin, its pretty basic and can be upgraded in many ways, like better haste belt for one lol. If you plan on getting nin up to 75-99, you want haste > acc > dex > attack and str in that order (or switch attack and str if you prefer), build an EVA set for those rare occasions you need it, but dont TP in it (in your everyday exp pt).

Leviathan.Helix
By Leviathan.Helix 2010-08-28 11:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using tentacle sushi. It seems to work very nice and tho it says +1% double attack, i find double attack proc'ing alot. It might not be perfect, but it seems to work.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-28 11:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Helix said:
I've been using tentacle sushi. It seems to work very nice and tho it says +1% double attack, i find double attack proc'ing alot. It might not be perfect, but it seems to work.

Any acc food is fine, dorado sushi will also give you some enmity though. As someone else said earlier, if fighting colibri eat cheap acc food i.e crab sushi, or no food at all if you can get away with it.
First Page 2