Ban On Gay Marriage Struck Down

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Ban on Gay Marriage Struck Down
Ban on Gay Marriage Struck Down
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-04 16:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

All marriage should be outlawed. It's really hard wanting to have casual sex with someone but you CAN'T! UGGGGGGGhhhhhh I just want to be a wild heathen.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion is a funny thing, preach acceptance, yet condemn someone for being gay.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-08-04 16:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know where a discussion about religion is going to go guys, really.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
We all know where a discussion about religion is going to go guys, really.

We all need a good debate about religion, every once in awhile.
 Bahamut.Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-04 16:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bahamut.Paulus said:
All marriage should be outlawed. It's really hard wanting to have casual sex with someone but you CAN'T! UGGGGGGGhhhhhh I just want to be a wild heathen.

Great thanks. I as gonna go delete that just in case my wife might come on later. Thanks Spicey! Just Thanks!
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-08-04 16:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Seraph.Corrderio said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
At the end of the day who cares if society says no, I mean if you wanna be with someone what difference does it make if your married or not?
One of the biggest reasons I can see is for tax purposes. And also the fact that they shouldn't be discriminated against for being gay.

The big issue with gay marriage is that marriage is only religious. If you're religious and you want to get gay married under christianity you're still going to hell according to your own religion. It would seem illogical to do it for any reason beyond tax purposes. This means if you're doing it for tax purposes its not really a marriage and more of a civil union. I have no issue with people getting equal treatment but dear god, I hate stupid people. I have gay friends IRL who go to church and its like, do you even know what your religion stands for?

I agree with this. Even though I still think you are a secret homosexual.

Wanting to get married as a gay couple is like an atheist wanting to get baptized, it doesn't really make sense. They read from the bible at wedding ceremonies, it was a religious event, and not many if any religions condone homosexuality.

I could care less either way, but logically speaking, gays should not want marriage at all. It's wanting to participate in a religious event you don't believe in and if you are a 'gay christian' you are insulting your god by trying to have a religious wedding. Edit: Not to mention.. by being gay lol.

Civil Unions give the same tax cuts and ***iirc. That's all you should even want. It also recognizes you as a devoted couple. Cheating in a civil union is basically the same as cheating to a married couple.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-04 16:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really arguing for or against it on religious grounds. I'm arguing the logic of marriage itself when it conflicts with the very way it was instituted. I suppose its not worse than 99% of the women who lose their virginity at 14 and then wear a white dress to their christian wedding ceremony. People are just ignorant and uneducated these days.
 Bahamut.Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-04 16:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That white dress thing is supposed to represent virginity?! Wow that's really funny!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

When you get married, you have to get a license to make it legal, it's not ONLY a religious union, it's a legal union, the ban stops gays from getting a legal document stating that they are married, with or without a formal wedding.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-04 16:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to know what gives the government the right to recognize marriage at all. Call all relationships involving two people civil unions for tax purposes. Let churches decide what is a religious wedding, and after years and years we can all finally stfu about it.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-08-04 16:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Civil union? You mean socially ostracize them by giving their "marriage" a different title basically saying that they are inferior? IT IS GENIUS!

You should read the rest of my post. Weddings have always been a religious event. If you are gay you are not following religion, so why would you want to partake in a religious event.

For years all the gay people have complained about was the tax cuts, well there's a civil union... go get it.

Once again, idc if they allow gays to be married, I think marriage is 90% of the time total ***, so it doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just speaking what makes sense.

I bring you back to one of my previous points, atheists don't want to get baptized, why do gays want to get "married" when they have the non-religious equivalent.

EDIT: @ Kojo. It is only a religious union, the governments have just decided to recognize this and give tax cuts on it. Making it as you said a legal union too. But Civil Unions are just as legitimate legally...

What Exc said in the post above me would also fix it.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-08-04 16:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:
That white dress thing is supposed to represent virginity?! Wow that's really funny!

Lol.. virgins at the age of marriage.. the guy maybe. XD

Edit: In a straight marriage that is.. >.>
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-08-04 16:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:

lolz ^
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
I'd like to know what gives the government the right to recognize marriage at all. Call all relationships involving two people civil unions for tax purposes. Let churches decide what is a religious wedding, and after years and years we can all finally stfu about it.

A wedding is just a ceremony, people of any religion, even none at all, or even two people of different religions can be married. What makes the point is the legal documents.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-04 16:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Seraph.Corrderio said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
At the end of the day who cares if society says no, I mean if you wanna be with someone what difference does it make if your married or not?
One of the biggest reasons I can see is for tax purposes. And also the fact that they shouldn't be discriminated against for being gay.
The big issue with gay marriage is that marriage is only religious. If you're religious and you want to get gay married under christianity you're still going to hell according to your own religion. It would seem illogical to do it for any reason beyond tax purposes. This means if you're doing it for tax purposes its not really a marriage and more of a civil union. I have no issue with people getting equal treatment but dear god, I hate stupid people. I have gay friends IRL who go to church and its like, do you even know what your religion stands for?
I agree with this. Even though I still think you are a secret homosexual. Wanting to get married as a gay couple is like an atheist wanting to get baptized, it doesn't really make sense. They read from the bible at wedding ceremonies, it was a religious event, and not many if any religions condone homosexuality. I could care less either way, but logically speaking, gays should not want marriage at all. It's wanting to participate in a religious event you don't believe in and if you are a 'gay christian' you are insulting your god by trying to have a religious wedding. Civil Unions give the same tax cuts and ***iirc. That's all you should even want. It also recognizes you as a devoted couple. Cheating in a civil union is basically the same as cheating to a married couple.
Civil union? You mean socially ostracize them by giving their "marriage" a different title basically saying that they are inferior? IT IS GENIUS!

"Separate but equal" works on so many levels. We need separate drinking fountains for LGBT people also. They work just the same as the other ones do, though.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 EAT DA POO POO video.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-04 16:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

For those interested, the ruling was made on the following grounds, which are now a final verdict and immune to further argument, pending appeal:

- Marriage is a fundamental right as defined by SCOTUS case Loving v. Virginia. It is not a privilege.

- Marriage is not fundamentally a religious institution.

- Sexual orientation is an innate protected class akin to race.

- Moral arguments are not sufficient to deny fundamental rights to a protected minority.

- A majority cannot put the rights of a protected minority up to a popular vote, as the practice violates the "equal protection under the law" clause of the US Constitution.
[+]
 Phoenix.Oumura
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-04 16:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Please don't.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Please don't.

Sorry, it was just so absurd, it was funny.
 Phoenix.Mogue
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-08-04 16:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I could care less either way, but logically speaking, gays should not want marriage at all. It's wanting to participate in a religious event you don't believe in and if you are a 'gay christian' you are insulting your god by trying to have a religious wedding.

As a gay man and an atheist, I completely understand this notion. Going even further, I don't want and would never seek any state sanction or "seal of approval" for my relationship, even for the tax break. However, for people who are both gay and have strong spiritual beliefs I would fight to the death for the rights that they deserve, should they want to seek them.

As for the "insulting god" thing, again, I agree in a logical sense for my specific situation. The (obvious) problem with extending that to everyone is if people paid as much attention to all the things that the bible condemns as much as they pay attention to a few obscure passages about gay people, then literally every churchgoer would be "insulting god" in one way or another and should be condemned.

Finishing my contribution to this thread with a jpeg:
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-04 16:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus even judges believe in entitlement now. Hey we all deserve school, and education, and health care, and jobs, and marriage, and a house, and a family, and free food, and free money. Hell we deserve everything we want because we're americans and how dare you try to tell us otherwise.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-08-04 16:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Please don't.

Do you actually care about a religious event or am I right in saying it doesn't matter much?

In my view I don't see why anyone non-religious would want to be in a religious event. I'm an agnostic and I don't want to have a wedding. The legal benefits is all that matters to me. Maybe that's just my view though.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-08-04 16:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:
I could care less either way, but logically speaking, gays should not want marriage at all. It's wanting to participate in a religious event you don't believe in and if you are a 'gay christian' you are insulting your god by trying to have a religious wedding.
As a gay man and a atheist, I completely understand this notion. Going even further, I don't want and would never seek any state sanction or "seal of approval" for my relationship, even for the tax break. However, for people who are both gay and have strong spiritual beliefs I would fight to the death for the rights that they deserve, should they want to seek them. As for the "insulting god" thing, again, I agree in a logical sense for my specific situation. The (obvious) problem with extending that to everyone is if people paid as much attention to all the things that the bible condemns as much as they pay attention to a few obscure passages about gay people, then literally every churchgoer would be "insulting god" in one way or another and should be condemned. Finishing my contribution to this thread with a jpeg:

LOL
 Phoenix.Oumura
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-04 16:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to admit, thats pretty amazing.
 Siren.Miayoko
Server: Siren
user: Miayoko
By Siren.Miayoko 2010-08-04 16:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also think of this exact same concept ehhhhh 40-50 years ago when inter-racial marriages were being opposed. I'm honestly glad they won the right.

Religion or not *please lets not get started on religion* who cares. People deserve the right to be happy regardless. If two dudes are making out so be it. Welcome to America. You can see worse on the internet anyway.

My big thing is what gives the Government the right to dictate what we can and cannot do whom we can and cannot marry. Insurance? 401(k)'s imo I could care less if your gay or not. You shouldn't HAVE to be married to get someones assets if they are written to you.

Sorry for the mini rant there but I believe love is love regardless.

I know I'm going to probably get rated down for this but oh well people deserve the right to be happy.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24