Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » vermeil bhuj vs sumeru steel cyclone + 10%
vermeil bhuj vs sumeru steel cyclone + 10%
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-03 04:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

His set is actually very nice. However, I wouldn't use Martial Bhuj for it. The DoT trade off is just too large to justify.

Also, +15 ATT is a fairly substantial damage increase for mobs like Dark Ixion. Including for Steel Cyclone, because its not quite as powerful as Tachi: Gekko as far as the attack boost is concerned.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Fallon
Server: Sylph
user: Fallon614
By Sylph.Fallon 2010-08-03 05:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I see that your war is 42 spicy, how is it you can give advice on a ws you don't have access to?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-03 05:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Fallon said:
I see that your war is 42 spicy, how is it you can give advice on a ws you don't have access to?

contrary to popular belief you don't have to level a job to do math
[+]
Server: Odin
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-08-03 05:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

witchcraft
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-08-03 06:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So umm WAR/THF is no longer used on JoL?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-03 10:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Fallon said:
Math is hard.
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
So umm WAR/THF is no longer used on JoL?
Given zerk you shouldn't need it to overcome JoL's defense (especially with reduced level correction), but it's been a while since I've played around with melee damage on JoL. If you're able to eat meat now that would help quite a bit. That is one case where I'd strongly consider SC.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-03 12:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Sylph.Fallon said:
Never tasted cyanide either, but I know it kills me. Yeah there is no way of knowing that unless I was to try it though, right? EDIT: Almost missed this, but my WAR is 40, how the *** did you mess that up?

"If you've never played foot ball a day in your life, how could you possibly know how to play!?"

You can watch other people (Via ESPN), and take notes.

A Footbal Coach didn't have to play foot ball to actually be a coach either.

And you ask how someone can give advice on something they've never actually done?

=P
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-03 13:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Sylph.Fallon said:
Never tasted cyanide either, but I know it kills me. Yeah there is no way of knowing that unless I was to try it though, right?
But you wont know how it tastes!!!

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-08-10 13:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Fallon said:
@ Mankey
Why are you trolling on steel cyclone so hard, its obvious you have no idea of how to build a set for it just shutup and let people talk about the axe they prefer for it

Because Steel Cyclone sucks x_x
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 14:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Except it doesn't.

Anywhere you'd use Great Katana over Polearm on Samurai, you'd use Steel Cyclone.

Anywhere you'd use Great Sword over Scythe on Dark Knight, you'd use Steel Cyclone.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-10 15:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Except it doesn't.

Anywhere you'd use Great Katana over Polearm on Samurai, you'd use Steel Cyclone.

Not true. WAR has ~50 more acc in a normal setup than a polearm SAM (regardless of food), therefore can get away with using RR/KJ on a lot more mobs that SAM can use polearm on.

Caitsith.Linear said:

Anywhere you'd use Great Sword over Scythe on Dark Knight, you'd use Steel Cyclone.

This is closer to the truth and how often do you see a 'knowledgeable' person recommend a DRK uses GS? Virtually never...
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 15:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Knowledgeable and those who assume everyone is buffed out the *** at all times are very different people.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-10 15:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I know... how dare they assume your mages cast dia, what elitist scum.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 15:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Dia II/III isn't going to drop DEF enough and you know damn well that's not what I'm talking about.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-10 16:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, if you only have 1 bard in the DD PT, they should be getting MarchX2. (unless you're not meleeing for TP for some reason...)

Minuets would be if you have a second BRD on the DD PT or BRD rotations etc.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 16:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Er, no. it provides much more consistent numbers, and will average higher than lucky damage spikes with either RR or KJ on mobs with rather large def and/or eva.

This is, of course, catering to the average (and majority!) player, and not the few people who find themselves in a party that looks like BRDx2 COR DNC DDx2 for each and every event/monster they do.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-10 16:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Dia II/III isn't going to drop DEF enough and you know damn well that's not what I'm talking about.

Ideal buff set for any DD party:

Double march
Haste Spell
Haste Samba
Chaos
SAM or WAR roll (situational)
(Double bards is actually less efficient, so no minuets for anyone... sorry)

Only 1 of those buffs affect your WS choice, and that's chaos roll, it is also the buff that does the least for your overall damage.

Dia III will actually do far more for your cratio that chaos will on any mob you are talking about. So yes I am talking about Dia II/III.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 16:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lancaster said:
crits automatically use a pDIF ceiling.
?
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 16:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Your crit rate will be floored to to hell. A WAR with the exact same gear and buffs using Steel Cyclone will tear the other WAR up.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-10 16:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lancaster said:
Caitsith.Linear said:
Er, no. it provides much more consistent numbers, and will average higher than lucky damage spikes with either RR or KJ on mobs with rather large def and/or eva.

This is, of course, catering to the average (and majority!) player, and not the few people who find themselves in a party that looks like BRDx2 COR DNC DDx2 for each and every event/monster they do.

In a low-buff situation against high-level targets, with the right choices being made, even RR will win for DoT because crits automatically use a pDIF ceiling.

Your average player, let's say a WAR with WAR as her only job and no other choices, and no access to KJ, and mostly mediocre AH gear, with only one BRD in the entire alliance, should be getting Marches and eating sushi or pizza and using RR.

I agree with your general sentiment, but crits just get 1 added to the cratio, not instantly max'ed.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 16:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lancaster said:
I was under the impression a crit had a pDIF ceiling of 3.15%. If this isn't true, my bad, but the rest of my point still stands. Crits on RR do a better job of overcoming ***gear and buffs than Steel Cyclone on its own does.
This is correct, but they don't automatically hit that value. It's just the maximum pDIF they can reach. You'll see variations between min and max rolls and the possible values will also be reduced due to level correction against T+ targets.
 Gilgamesh.Maletaru
Server: Gilgamesh
user: maletaru
By Gilgamesh.Maletaru 2010-08-10 16:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this conversation has shifted all over the place, but regarding PLDs' abilities to tank and their "needing" SATA to cap their hate:

I don't really think as a PLD that it's necessary to have someone SATAing you to get hate off of a mob, the reason SATA helps so much is because thats ~1k DMG that ISN'T included in the DD's hate. It not only adds to the tank's hate (which isn't necessary, and is easily capped by a good PLD) but it detracts from the DD's hate, allowing him to do more WS before taking hate.

Also: those DD who think that they can easily co-tank a sky god, cerb, or DI or whatever just because they have seigan third eye, that's ridiculous. Wait till you get one-shadowed by TE and then have 28 seconds to get beat on while waiting for recast and you'll start regretting your rant on ffxiah about capping out your WS dmg and not subbing anything but SAM for HNM fights.

Remember: a dead DD deals 0dps. Manage your own hate, because once a PLD is capped out, there's not much (s)he can do to save you when TE doesn't last.

For those of you who want to bash: my WAR is 40, DRK80, PLD80, THF80.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 16:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Your crit rate will be floored to to hell. A WAR with the exact same gear and buffs using Steel Cyclone will tear the other WAR up.
Doesn't RR have an innate 10% critrate? 5% base, 4% merits, 10% innate, and given WAR gear you could fairly reasonably expect another 1-5% against even stronger targets, so you're looking at a minimum 20% crit rate. Doesn't seem that bad to me, all things considered.
[+]