No <3 for Beastmaster
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-13 04:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's the <3 for BST? my BST is currently 65, and so far I've had 4 parties, in 65 levels <.< 2 of them i made myself, so that is 2 invites in 65 levels, thats a record for me, BST beeing my 7th job past 65. I mean BST arent really bad DD, can equip most of the DD stuff a regular WAR can, have the same axe skill as WAR have, ofcourse compared to WAR we lose berserk and warcry, BUT our jug pets do DMG, as long as you know what your jug pet's lv cap is at. As long as you dont run around with a pet that caps at lv 40 in a lv 60ish party, pets do really nice DoT with a TP move every 2 minutes. So, whats up with this? Why do ppl hate BST so much?
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 06:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Popular stereotype?

I imagine some BSTs equipped for soloing were the first ones to party, and obviously did a bad job as a result? Then word spread, and people were less willing to take on something 'almost as good' because it had been seen to be capable of being much worse?

Just guessing
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-13 06:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

4 words:

Beastman Seals
Kindred Seals

Level BST by yourself and wow, look at all the ***you get. Most BSTs don't exp in parties anyway. If you want to exp in parties, by all means, go for it.

Some BSTs duo/trio though, so that cuts down the BS/KS alot.

Mind you, my BST is like around 16 or so, so I really don't have room to talk about BST yet. Might eventually get around to leveling it one of these days, I got the cooking down to make lots and lots of CC jugs though. But then again, I should level it past 23 so I could use the jugs lol

Since the BST likes to solo, you rarely see any lfp, at least on my server. But I do invite them when I do see them though, however rare. A DD is a DD, its the player who makes it good/sucky in my opinion.
 Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt 2009-01-13 07:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I been parting with my friend's BST. Does nice Rampages and after he transferring hate to his pet. Virtually taking no dmg at all throughout the entire party. Gotta say if you think BST is a bad DD I would double think that.

On a side note I've partied with a Ridill, E.body BST. Good times....
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-01-13 07:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

well bigest prob is peeps just dont understand what bst can do and sadly lot bst dont know howplay the job in a party.Also old beleifs of how bst would add a xp penalty to partys cus of pets are still around though those penaltys were removed in updates.

1st off bst can be good dd they same axe skill as war does and decent skill with scythes not mention with the right pets can do big spike dmg (fungars from npc in kazham) or some decent enfeebs though it random and want camp with no mobs in range of a area attack. 2nd bst/war specially 2 of them with jug pet CCs or the beetle can tank very well using voke and snarl to trade hate back and forth between them and there pet ( had some good partys like this 10k+ xp a hour). You could prob do same with bst/thf self sataing then snarl to give hate to pet and repeat adding both spike dmg and tanking to one job.

Sadly lot bst actually want to party but go so long with out a invite and being lonely while killing stuff they give up and stop even bothering to put up seek flag and just go on their isolated path of xping. So have a heart and toss that lonely bst a invite. :)

this might be a bit jumbled only just woke up..
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-01-13 07:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

oh also bst can pull either with pets or bow
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-13 07:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
4 words: Beastman Seals Kindred Seals Level BST by yourself and wow, look at all the ***you get. Most BSTs don't exp in parties anyway. If you want to exp in parties, by all means, go for it. Some BSTs duo/trio though, so that cuts down the BS/KS alot. Mind you, my BST is like around 16 or so, so I really don't have room to talk about BST yet. Might eventually get around to leveling it one of these days, I got the cooking down to make lots and lots of CC jugs though. But then again, I should level it past 23 so I could use the jugs lol Since the BST likes to solo, you rarely see any lfp, at least on my server. But I do invite them when I do see them though, however rare. A DD is a DD, its the player who makes it good/sucky in my opinion.

since bst like to solo? lol, some PPL like to solo, some dont, doesnt matter what job you are. and its nice to get a party or 2 during those slow levels. there are levels where there simply isnt any good solo camps, atleast from my experience, unless you wanna settle for 120 exp/kill on chain 3.
 Unicorn.Idevlboy
Server: Unicorn
user: idevlboy
By Unicorn.Idevlboy 2009-01-13 08:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Having just hit 75 Bst yesterday I can tell you this... It is a long road but well worth it to have a job that can very effectively fill many roles and solo in so many places. My suggestion would be to find someone to duo with. (At 68 Caedarva Mire is an AWESOME camp to duo in. Sheep vs. Imp) As far as parties are concerned, people will never change. Most people still look at bst a solo job and do not realize the potential DoT a Bst can produce. With Rampage and merits such as Beast Afinity coupled with gear (Monster Gloves) a well armored bst can easily out parce many DD jobs. Sure they are not usually going to put out the huge weapon skills of a Sam or a War but damage is damage. Another big part of the problem is that so many Bsts to not focus on equiping the job properly to be a true DD. It does take a lot of time and money to do it right. I will admit I dont have the best set possible but ive been 75 for less than 24 hours so im working on it. (Posted Bst "Item Sets" so people can critique/slam me for posting >.>) Just keep pushing toward 75 and maybe someday people will wise up and see Bsts true potential.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-01-13 08:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, wait a second. You chose THE job in the game that is notorious for solo and complain about lack of party invites? No offense, but if you don't know how to get constant exp on your own then you might as well stop playing BST.

The whole point of having BST75 is not to meripo on it, not to party on it, but to go out and solo crap. You are losing valuable experience of actually playing the job by mindlessly DDing in a party. There are way better jobs suited for a party setup and they will always be picked above you.

You might think I myself am a BST hater by what I've said but actually I'm BST75 and I consider myself a BST main even with 2 other party friendly 75s and endgame BLM job.

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
1st off bst can be good dd they have higher axe skill than war does

This is false. BST and WAR have the same axe skill.
 Asura.Xredx
Server: Asura
user: xredx
By Asura.Xredx 2009-01-13 09:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i invite the pup over u
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-01-13 09:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

theres actaully a better camp in bhaf thickets at 68 leech vs birds than the mire one
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-13 10:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
Ok, wait a second. You chose THE job in the game that is notorious for solo and complain about lack of party invites? No offense, but if you don't know how to get constant exp on your own then you might as well stop playing BST. The whole point of having BST75 is not to meripo on it, not to party on it, but to go out and solo crap. You are losing valuable experience of actually playing the job by mindlessly DDing in a party. There are way better jobs suited for a party setup and they will always be picked above you. You might think I myself am a BST hater by what I've said but actually I'm BST75 and I consider myself a BST main even with 2 other party friendly 75s and endgame BLM job.

oh, so just because BST is notorius for soloing, it means that they cant do well in a party? and if you wanna solo some lv's and be in parties for others, if nothing else coz of the company, thats all wrong? And what if you wanna go for Maat's cap, but just really really hate the job? then you didnt chose it because you enjoy endless of hours soloing, you chose it because its a part of a quest, and all you wanna do is get to 66 so you can kill maat with it and move on. By the looks of it you are going for the cap yourself, do you honestly just LOVE every single job you have to lv to get there?
 Unicorn.Idevlboy
Server: Unicorn
user: idevlboy
By Unicorn.Idevlboy 2009-01-13 10:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Solo I would agree leech vs bird is better but as a duo nothing beats the sheep vs imp camp. At 68 ~400-600 per kill. 3 sheep easily take down 1 imp (which is why duo is best) so only 1 swap per kill. At 74 exp is still 180-220 per kill + chain bonus. Only thing you have to contend with is parties at the top of the hill at J-6. If there is a party there you will not be able to maintain chains so you would be better finding another camp.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-01-13 10:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
oh, so just because BST is notorius for soloing, it means that they cant do well in a party?

If by well in a party you mean substandard and filling the 6th spot then yes. As I said before, there are way better job choices that will always get the invite before you.
Zanno said:
and if you wanna solo some lv's and be in parties for others, if nothing else coz of the company, thats all wrong?

No there is nothing wrong with that. Get your good friends in the game to party with you. Don't expect to be chosen in a random pickup party and complain when you are not.
Zanno said:
And what if you wanna go for Maat's cap, but just really really hate the job? then you didnt chose it because you enjoy endless of hours soloing, you chose it because its a part of a quest, and all you wanna do is get to 66 so you can kill maat with it and move on.

If all you care about is Maat's cap then lucky you! Only two levels to go. Campaign FTW? Or Level Sync Lv.20 party and goto Qufim because at those levels it doesn't matter what job you are. Hell I was main tank for Qufim with full Beetle+1 armor and axe/shield.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-13 10:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

point is, ppl can lv a job for other reasons than that they just love the job. and assuming that just because you lv bst you love soloing, and if you dont love solo, tough luck. I dont use windower myself, but some ppl that do claims that BST out dmg mnk with DoT in party. ofcourse i wasnt there, so maybe it was a super gimped mnk,, idk and idc either really. but assuming that everyone that lv bst love soloing is wrong imo. i.e I took pally to 75 for no other reason than my g/f wanted to static her RDM with me as PLD, doesnt mean I loved the job, or even liked it at all. i did it for a reason. but all the "you chose the nr 1 solo job, suit yourself" is off topic, i was asking why ppl dont invite bst to parties. "there's always better jobs", well there's always better job than lots of other DD jobs as well, how often do you see a party with all the "greatest" jobs available? (besides merit pt's)
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-01-13 11:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
i was asking why ppl dont invite bst to parties. "there's always better jobs", well there's always better job than lots of other DD jobs as well, how often do you see a party with all the "greatest" jobs available? (besides merit pt's)

9/10 BST that are flagged for invite are in their charm+dd gear combo. They don't have proper party DD set and feel that their solo gear (AF, Bird whistle, melody earrings) is ok for a regular exp party. However, every once in awhile you'll find a BST that knows whats going on and will have proper gear for a party. Why invite someone during a pickup exp party knowing those odds?

If a BST is out DDing a MNK (even with pet damage calculated in) the MNK is severely gimped or the BST is completely pimped out. You decide for yourself, but odds are a combination of both.

I personally would have no problem at all inviting a BST to a party that I know beforehand and that has a decent DD set. How many BST do you know before 75 that have both sets? Even at 75 I know quite a few BST who think their charm+dd gear combo is "good enough". The stigma around the job is justified.

The other option you have is to make your own parties.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-13 12:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I've partied with BST a few times in the three years I've been playing, although it's definitely gotta be the job I've partied least with, well, maybe except for PUP.

I feel BST in a party rocks, honestly. Since they eliminated the exp. penalty, having a pet to tank or pull is great, I'd rather some dudes Crab bite it if something links then one of us...however, I NEVER see BST's lfg. EVER.

At least you can solo well. You can put your flag up and go solo and still make some decent experience while you wait...most other jobs can't do that or have a much more difficult time then BST does doing it. Like other's said, hook up with some other BST's and duo/trio or something. I've seen video's on youtube of this one linkshell in particular that allows nothing but pet jobs , and their fights looked tons of fun, maybe you could hook up with some SMN's and other BST's and do the same thing yourself? ^^
 Shiva.Lancelan
Server: Shiva
user: lancelan
By Shiva.Lancelan 2009-01-13 23:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

bst is a solo god thats what they do, don't level the job unless u like to solo. Bst can do decent dot in partys but nothin like a well geared mnk sam war etc
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-01-13 23:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed with above comment.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-14 10:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

No one likes a furry.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-01-14 11:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
No one likes a furry.

=O

User submitted image

edit: resized/rehosted lol
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-14 12:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are partying in a area where getting links is a possibility having a bst in your pt can be very handy, although it does take up the spot of a more traditional DD and its just the general consensus that bst = solo.

With FoV now lvling bst at pre-aht urgan areas must be so much easier solo than it used to be, most I know are quite happy to go solo.

I agree with xxnumbertwoxx, and a bst with smn duo sounds like an interesting combo lol
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-01-14 15:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

thers actually a youtube vieo of a mostly bst ls fighting kirin . it preety hilarious watching 12+ CCs chasing kirin.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-01-14 16:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/user/neuroticffxi
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2009-01-14 20:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
9/10 BST that are flagged for invite are in their charm+dd gear combo. They don't have proper party DD set and feel that their solo gear (AF, Bird whistle, melody earrings) is ok for a regular exp party.

Hmmm. In my experience, only about 1/5 or fewer try to melee in charm gear while in party. Granted, most of them do not show up in amazing gears (nor do I expect them to), I generally get decent results from inviting BST as DDs, and most end up as the strongest DD once pet's damage is added (whenever I parsed).

The bonus is that the BSTs are usually grateful for the invite, so they come happy, and willing to cooperate.

Strong DD, easy on the curing resource, and positive attitude--those are the reasons why I invite BSTs to parties when I'm leader. ^_^b

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-01-15 00:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no problem with bsts (other than the job reminds me of dogfighting, which I really don't like) but the one time I ever got into an xp party with a beastmaster, he tried to charm a mob in the middle of the fight, failed, and got us all wiped. I'm very willing to bet we just got a bad bst that time, because I've had them in parties for other things besides leveling and they pretty much rock. Maybe people just don't realize bsts want parties, too, since it's typically a solo job.
First Page 2