Abyssea - Casual Or Hardcore ?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Abyssea - Casual or hardcore ?
Abyssea - Casual or hardcore ?
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-21 07:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

PC just doesn't understand game Design, MMO's aren't supposed to end their content 1 week after release, that would be counter-intuitive to their purpose of holding a subscriber base. The best MMO will be a timesink, but a timesink you enjoy putting time into.

Abyssea is a perfect example of this, It is, as an event, fairly painless compared to Dynamis, Limbus and especially ZNM and 21-24 24-36 and 36-72 HNM.

Titan.Ellid said:
Quote:
i've heard of brds on my server going from 60-65 in like 2 hours...

We had people below 75 in our alliance yesterday and we were getting 5-8 xp per mobs. When they dropped to see if it was that which was causing it xp jumped up to 100xp again. This was as we were starting out. I think this was what was changed in the emergency maint. yesterday.

We earned 70k in 3 hours yesterday even when we ended up with on 2 parties. That is better than most parties. Most, not all.

It reset the mobs levels, they're all DC now to Lvl80. Give it time to rebuild to IT and it'll be fine.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-07-21 07:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing compares to salvage and znm its the tops, next best thing to sex with sliced bread...seriously wtf

Honestly change the title at least, your opinion is completely one sided and you have no intention to change it or accredit the expansion for anything. All you want to do is make feeble attempts to point out how shits not salvage and how others are wrong.

*** it im just replying pchan style now:
salvage sucks abyssea rocks

[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-07-21 07:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
How is this casual ? Did SE really manage to make us pay 10$ for a retardly time consuming event. It's not like Chloris is the only NM looked after, as there is one equivalent for each weapon it seems, and there a lot of other NMs dropping gear.

Did we really get an event 10x more *** blocking than Salvage ? Doing NMs in abyssea is not exactly the same as normal exp, you will quickly consume your time and be only able to enter once every few days alla dynamis/limbus.

Good thing there are a ton of other NMs in Abyssea you can go after as a casual player for decent rewards. (Marvin, Piasa, Halamari, Raskovnik, Gangly Gean, Keratyrannos, Gancanagh, Tefenet, Alectryon, Muscaliet, Vetehinen, Chukwa, etc.)

Also, if a casual player decides to take an afternoon / night to cap their XP on a job or two, that's perfectly reasonable. Or they can enter for 90-120 minutes at a time and still get ~10k/hr+ XP (depending on group and how quick they do their lights).

tldr: It's content for both casual and hardcore players. As the cap increases it will enable casual players to do even more.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-21 07:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:

Abyssea is a perfect example of this, It is, as an event, fairly painless compared to Dynamis, Limbus and especially ZNM and 21-24 24-36 and 36-72 HNM.

killing the endboss of your abyssea is painless ? 50 boss kills and probably at least 200 abyssea runs. Seriously, how can you compared this to dynamis.
Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
nothing compares to salvage and znm its the tops, next best thing to sex with sliced bread...seriously wtf

Honestly change the title at least, your opinion is completely one sided and you have no intention to change it or accredit the expansion for anything. All you want to do is make feeble attempts to point out how shits not salvage and how others are wrong.

*** it im just replying pchan style now:
salvage sucks abyssea rocks

I think you are mad because I'm poiting out that abyssea is the most hardcore event at the moment. Honestly I don't give a ***about salvage gear and even less about znm gear because I was done with that gear in 2007. I'm just comparing an event to another one.

Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-21 07:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if my perspective will be viewed as unique or not, but what I can tell you is that there is a sector of experienced, long-term FFXI players that are neither "hardcore" nor "casual", but rather somewhere in-between.
I would call myself one of these "in-between" players.

From my POV, Abyssea kicks ***. It provides entertainment value and viable access to end-game equipment to all varieties of players.
For EXP, it eliminates the long-standing retardedness of flagging-up and waiting forever for an EXP party, and also decreases the stigma typically levied against "unpopular" jobs when forming an EXP party. Hopefully, we'll also stop seeing screenshots and linkshell chat resembling "omg look at the (insert piercing damage WS) I just did against a Greater Colibri!!"
Outside of EXP, Abyssea offers a variety of ways to spend time productively. Obviously, killing NMs and building pop-sets for the higher-tier Abyssea NMs will attract the more "hardcore" players, and that's a good thing. But there's no waiting around staring at Darters and flaming other linkshells for 3 hours. There's no 5% drop rates like Salvage NMs. And you don't need 18+ people to routinely battle most of these NMs (like traditional Kirin, JoL, or Odin fights). But, aside from that, there are quests that can be done to raise reputation, and therefore have access to key items that increase chances for chests drop rate, for example. And lower tier NMs can be farmed for the sellable items used for upgrading Magian weapons. Thus, so-called "casual" players can meaningfully contribute to the objectives of the more "hardcore" players.

Ultimately, Abyssea appears to be an event where every player can participate and contribute. It offers variety and challenge without being obnoxious or promoting botting or "noob-bashing". Abyssea doesn't "level the playing field"; good players will still be good, and bad players will still be bad. However, Abyssea does build a bridge across the previously ever-widening "abyss" between FFXI elitists and FFXI casuals.

And for a "in-between" player, that is a very welcome breath of fresh air injected into FFXI.

[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-07-21 07:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree actually obtaining 50 items from the higher NMs is absurd because I do not know a single person who has a 10 item VNM weapon complete and you can do those day and night.

BUT! Aside from the delicious carrot of empyrean weapons being dangled a thousand miles away...

Every single person in my linkshell and that i've done abyssea with on this server LOVES it.

It is super fun and satisfying both xping and hunting NMs.

In the end a large market will open up of groups mercing the empyrean weapon items and the cost will probally be 500k-1m per item.

Considering the large potential market ppl with deep pockets will probally offer MORE per item to get their mercs done first.

As with all things. Anything that you cannot accomplish yourself or between friends, money can accomplish for you.

And as with all things only a handful of boss-hog domineering types and/or the shrewd businessmen of each server will have a finished empyrean weapon before lv99.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-07-21 07:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Ellid said:
Quote:
i've heard of brds on my server going from 60-65 in like 2 hours...

We had people below 75 in our alliance yesterday and we were getting 5-8 xp per mobs. When they dropped to see if it was that which was causing it xp jumped up to 100xp again. This was as we were starting out. I think this was what was changed in the emergency maint. yesterday.

We earned 70k in 3 hours yesterday even when we ended up with on 2 parties. That is better than most parties. Most, not all.

The mob levels were reset, as mentioned. Did Abyssea XP last night with a low level person from LS along (opening chests). He started at 37, ended at 57. The higher level folks got around 200k XP in roughly four hours.

I wouldn't really classify Abyssea as stricty hardcore or casual content. The time required to really benefit from XP'ing there or much else certainly does take it away from the extremely casual...but otherwise it drastically lowers the bar for getting great XP/hr. NMs are up a -lot-, meaning you can go get in a fight with something pretty readily, without spending a ton of time camping/not getting claim.

The main annoyance with Abyssea, other than the time limit, is the simple fact that SE could have retuned more of the game to work like that. If, for example, every ToAU zone worked like Abyssea mobs for alliance XP, since release...but no...

What it does is allows players - and in a way encourages them - to compartmentalize their FFXI play. Log in a couple times a week, hit Abyssea hard and get a lot done. Then go play FFXIV other nights, and so on.
 Hades.Yzzerdd
Server: Hades
user: Yzzerdd
By Hades.Yzzerdd 2010-07-21 07:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

killing the endboss of your abyssea is painless ? 50 boss kills and probably at least 200 abyssea runs. Seriously, how can you compared this to dynamis.

Similar to relic weapons, not everyone is meant to get an Emperyan weapon.
 Unicorn.Idevlboy
user: idevlboy
By Unicorn.Idevlboy 2010-07-21 08:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Yzzerdd said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

This 100 times over. If you are gonna cry over the new weapons then you may as well cry over the old ones too. Mythics/relics were the exact same thing. Huge investment for huge reward. Why did/do people think that these "new relics" would be any different? I just dont get it. Seems like everyone i know jumped on the "I gotta get those new weapons" bandwagon without even considering the investment that would be involved.

Think about how long it takes a Linkshell to build a relic. ~1/2-1yr if you have a solid dynamis group and are focused on 1 weapon at a time. If you had an Abyssea group running 2x per week at 90-120min each run focused on getting just 1 persons weapon these would probably be the excact amount of time investment. The problem is that everyone saw these weapons, came buckets, and then decided they just had to have one. So instead of working together to build them 1 at a time people are all trying to build their own. If you are going to build your own pop sets it will take years to complete and you still need a large group to take down the higher tiered NMs efficiently.

tl;dr - stop crying. its no different than anything that has been done before in this game.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-21 08:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Yzzerdd said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

You are wrong because empyreal weapon is what SE presents as the reward from abyssea on their website. Also it's quite obvious that if the next abyssea keep with current trend for magian weapons (killing NM for the high damage path, killing NQ mobs for relics) getting a level 99 weapon is going to be better and easier.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-07-21 08:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless they send the fully upgraded weapon to your delivery box, its hardcore

/nods
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-21 09:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea is far from hardcore, out of all the events in FFXI with exception of maybe Nyzul/Assault, Abyssea offers great rewards in a very short time. You can do ANY event hardcore and commit all your time to it, but the time you can invest in Abyssea is limited, less than Dynamis, offers items with higher drop rates/values, and grants you high levels of XP. It's a pretty casual event.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Soki
Server: Midgardsormr
user: soki
By Midgardsormr.Soki 2010-07-21 09:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

casually hardcore for me
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-07-21 09:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the thing Pimpchan, Abyssea is as casual or hardcore as you want it to be.

If I want to roll in with a 3 hour exp party, then that's what I get to do. If I want to kill some low tiered NMs for some decent drops, then that's what I get to do.

I agree with you that the Empyrean weapons are by no means casual, and would take a casual player years to obtain unless they paid for the upgrade items.

Some people are in exp parties for upwards of 10 hours right now in Abyssea, while other people step in for 2 hours and then walk away.

Like everything else in this game, there is content for the hardcore and the casual. Abyssea just incorporates both into one zone instead of two different events (Einherjar vs Dynamis for example).
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-21 09:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Itt: "The only thing in Abyssea is the NM's for the Empyrean weapons."

Really? Well actually there's a ton of other things to do with really nice rewards.

Want a Cuch+1 farm flies for the La theine Liege (got 6 people a sharpeye mantle in 1 run)

Want a Thew bomblet? Go farm mandies for the pop and get the almost 100% drop rate item.

The things that drop on Abyssea are good, and they drop fast. Saying Abyssea is bad because the ultimate boss of a zone is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. There are more things to do in Abyssea than farm an empyrean weapon.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-07-21 09:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Really? Well actually there's a ton of other things to do with really nice rewards.

Want a Cuch+1 farm flies for the La theine Liege (got 6 people a sharpeye mantle in 1 run)

Want a Thew bomblet? Go farm mandies for the pop and get the almost 100% drop rate item.

The things that drop on Abyssea are good, and they drop fast. Saying Abyssea is bad because the ultimate boss of a zone is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. There are more things to do in Abyssea than farm an empyrean weapon.

Think about who made this topic ... and who is arguing about this.

No use in saying that stuff.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sketchkat
Server: Phoenix
user: sketchkat
By Phoenix.Sketchkat 2010-07-21 09:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand what PC actually wants. He *** incessantly about Abyssea being "hardcore" even though it's the most accessible addition to the game in years. You'd think someone who owns Shenlong's would realize something like that. To be honest, I think he just enjoys arguing with people.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-07-21 09:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sketchkat said:
I don't understand what PC actually wants. He *** incessantly about Abyssea being "hardcore" even though it's the most accessible addition to the game in years. You'd think someone who owns Shenlong's would realize something like that. To be honest, I think he just enjoys arguing with people.

^
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-21 09:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Auction house. Easy to get means ultimately bound to be cheap (cruor gear went from 2 milions to 20k in 3 weeks).
Quote:

This is FFXI, an easy to get item that is also AH able is bound to be sold cheap eventually. 1 million to day 50k in 2 weeks, wanna bet ? So again, why not just not buy expansion and buy it 50k in a few weeks ? Either it's indeed easy to get ans the price will evnetually drop a lot or you are full of ***and it's not that easy to get, to the point that the selling price will be auto-ajusted by the market by the ratio time+effort (number of hours and number of people) to get the drop vs time to gather gil.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-21 09:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So... Your logic for abyssea being hardcore... Is that you can buy the items? Then through the same logic, you can simply merc the Empyrean items.

You're making out that all Abyssea has to offer is the Empyrean weapons, when in reality it has lots to offer in the form of EXP and gear. (through Cruor or drops)

[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-21 09:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea is supposed to be a time-sink. It's an event based around keeping people playing this game post XIV.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-07-21 09:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Auction house. Easy to get means ultimately bound to be cheap (cruor gear went from 2 milions to 20k in 3 weeks).
Quote:

This is FFXI, an easy to get item that is also AH able is bound to be sold cheap eventually. 1 million to day 50k in 2 weeks, wanna bet ? So again, why not just not buy expansion and buy it 50k in a few weeks ?

Your logic is really flawed.

Free > Bought

Simple as that, if someone can work towards an item and get it for free, as well as the satisfaction that you get because you know you earned it rather then just cheaping out and buying it.

Really what are you arguing about? I still can't see it, all your doing is bitching and bitching and ... more bitching.

You also have to remember about all the R/Ex gear as well that comes from the zones, you really can't AH those now can you? If your gonna say get someone to merc it for you, then you really are just as much as an idiot as anyone can be.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-21 09:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also some of the better items like the Varangian Helm are unbuyable.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sketchkat
Server: Phoenix
user: sketchkat
By Phoenix.Sketchkat 2010-07-21 09:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just come right out and say it...what do you want? Stop telling everyone with an opinion that they're wrong about everything, and just tell us exactly what you want.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-07-21 09:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sketchkat said:
Just come right out and say it...what do you want? Stop telling everyone with an opinion that they're wrong about everything, and just tell us exactly what you want.

I'm not sure if his mentality will allow him to do that >.>

Everything has to either come out in nonsense that really makes no sense, or arguments.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-21 09:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
So... Your logic for abyssea being hardcore... Is that you can buy the items? Then through the same logic, you can simply merc the Empyrean items.

That's just dumb because you already have to enter and participate to 50 runs (at least) for this to actually happen. You don't just tell someone "hey I want this item ", give him the money and get the item. You have to do the whole 50 run thing *and* pay the LS. You cannot seriouly be comparing going from white gate's mog house to white gate's Auction house and paying 50k to participate 50 NMs runs and paying 50M. Idiot.
 Unicorn.Idevlboy
user: idevlboy
By Unicorn.Idevlboy 2010-07-21 09:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
That's just dumb because you already have to enter and participate to 50 runs (at least) for this to actually happen. You don't just tell someone "hey I want this item ", give him the money and get the item. You have to do the whole 50 run thing *and* pay the LS. You cannot seriouly be comparing going from white gate's mog house to white gate's Auction house and paying 50k to participate 50 NMs runs and paying 50M. Idiot.

You can call people dumb all you want but this is no different than dynamis currency or alex. People can and will sell the items for these weapons too. And just like the previous relic/mythic people will buy them to avoid the "hardcore grind" that you cant seem to get over. If you dont like it buck up and pay for them. Otherwise bear down and do the work. Either way just stop crying because no one really cares.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21