but really only use it if Aggressor is up OR 2 hour is active

<3 me muh RR
 Siren.Jingles
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2010-06-29 05:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Another nice piece (since you do Dyna with your LS) is the relic belt. Warrior's Stone is great for KJ.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-29 06:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Abraxas resist slashing and blunt. When I fought them on BLU, my melee and Vorpals were dealing very little damage (don't think Vorpal got above low 400s, usually did 200s-300s), despite the birds conning low evasion/defense.
 Sylph.Akibakei
Server: Sylph
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-29 07:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people have commented that KJ can and cannot Crit. If you check the Restraint thread you will see that some people feel that Restraint hurts KJ since it can actually crit. There is something screwy with KJ that no one has figured out yet but with Restraint keeping dmg down it's possible it has a hidden crit effect.

My advice? Use Heca. Pieces since they add str and dex.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-29 07:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

KJ can't crit w/o being forced (2hr, sneak attack, ect)
[+]
 Leviathan.Aneu
Server: Leviathan
user: Luz
By Leviathan.Aneu 2010-06-29 07:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Perdu voulge honestly is becoming borderline obsolete, none of the new content is particularly evasive even pre-food for career WARs. I know I'll get flamed for saying that, but my gear isn't even top-notch and I can have capped accuracy on new content with curry. Berserk up use KJ, Berserk down use RR is the general rule. If using RR at all don't neglect your DEX, Alkys in particular kill your DEX, potent belt has no DEX either. If your RRs don't crit, they're weaker than an unbuffed KJ. DDs that can't break 1k at new promyvion camps is funny, they're pretty squishy... Pizza is great for most situations where you're fighting trash mobs really, use it.

Some upgrades you can do are:
Foolkiller has low damage, the accuracy on it isn't needed if you improve your other slots. The STR in no way compensates for the low damage, as even on KJ the mods won't add that much D value. Bonesplitter goes up to 102 DMG now if you have the patience to do it, it's a free weapon.

Forager's (Or Amemet+1, it's really cheap now please don't get NQ) for back.

Bomb cores are generally cheap, aim for fire bomblet when you can afford.

Chiv chain is fine for TPing till you can afford PCC or get a torque, but when you get to sea try to pick up a weaponskill gorget. They're easy to get with friends.

Hecatomb mittens would be an upgrade eventually when you can afford and if you have sky ls, n.hands are a Byakko drop. I just really dislike alkys on multihits, in the case of WAR it's more like -10 DEX (-7~8 ACC) than -6 DEX since the alternative is n.hands. I guess it doesn't matter when you're fighting stuff that isn't evasive to begin with but if it does an evasion buff you'll notice it more. You can change out potent belt for warwolf. I do notice that potent belt cancels out the acc lost using alkys, but with n.hands+warwolf combination you'll come out with more acc in the end which I think you need. Not to say you should sell as Alkys still have their uses, but the gil from selling alkys could get you n.hands which are great for both RR and KJ.

The pizza, weapon, bomb core, and Forager's/Amemet changes will probably have the most immediate effect on your weaponskill damage. Your lack of ATT and low damage weapon is what is hurting you the most it looks like. All together shouldn't be too much gil to change just those slots too. Amemet+1 is just fine if you're short on gil remember.

(Unless crit is in the description, or you're forcing crit with SA/TA/MS, your weaponskill can't crit... I can't believe people still debate that.)
[+]
 Asura.Solara
Server: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 11:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

A few things:

1. Get a gorget. It will boost your dmg and give 10 acc to all hits of the ws. There is no longer any excuse to not have sea access, it's more or less soloable.

2.What's on that body? If it's not acc + 10 and stp, throw it away and do it again correctly.

3. No Rajas? If you're keeping up with Sam on tp gain in that stuff, the Sam you play with must be terrible.

4. Get a back piece with atk+str. KJ cannot crit, but it gets a bigger bonus than your other ws will (anecdotal) from stacking atk, much like Guillotine.

5. Ditch the Alkys, get spiked finger gauntlets, af2 hands, perle hands, tarasque, pretty much anything that doesn't have - dex. As other people have said, if you're doing that little dmg, you're missing hits.

6. Make an effort to get into a sky shell, or start a low man sky farm group. People shout that ***endlessly on Asura.

My sets:

Edit: I'll post some KJ dmg shots when I get home.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-29 12:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Eat Pizza and that should solve alot of your acc problems..and I don't know why ppl are so against Alky's for Multi hit..yup the -dex sucks but it can't crit so it doesn't really matter..Alky for KJ Heca for RR.

RR > KJ unless new war ability has changed that, along with new camp/Mobs. Where will ppl merit now that birds/Mamool are lame past 76ish?
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2010-06-29 12:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:
A few things:

1. Get a gorget. It will boost your dmg and give 10 acc to all hits of the ws. There is no longer any excuse to not have sea access, it's more or less soloable.

2.What's on that body? If it's not acc 10 and stp, throw it away and do it again correctly.

3. No Rajas? If you're keeping up with Sam on tp gain in that stuff, the Sam you play with must be terrible.

4. Get a back piece with atk str. KJ cannot crit, but it gets a bigger bonus than your other ws will (anecdotal) from stacking atk, much like Guillotine.

5. Ditch the Alkys, get spiked finger gauntlets, af2 hands, perle hands, tarasque, pretty much anything that doesn't have - dex. As other people have said, if you're doing that little dmg, you're missing hits.

6. Make an effort to get into a sky shell, or start a low man sky farm group. People shout that ***endlessly on Asura.

1) I got to the three paths and couldn't solo it anymore, you want to get me through it, be my guest.

2) Why would I do that, when I can just use a hauberk?(which I will be trying.)

3) As stated before, this, nor what I've been scanned in is a tp set. I have never posted a tp set. And there hasn't been a sam yet that I haven't done a good job getting close to. (No, I don't match tp gain completely, but I'm definitely not left in the dust)

6) I'm lucky to be in a dyna group. With working full time and going to school full time, I don't have time for a lot of endgame. I pick the parts that I want to do the most, that I find to be the most enjoyable.

As for point 4 and 5, I'll give them a shot
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-29 12:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alymorel said:
Asura.Solara said:
A few things: 1. Get a gorget. It will boost your dmg and give 10 acc to all hits of the ws. There is no longer any excuse to not have sea access, it's more or less soloable. 2.What's on that body? If it's not acc 10 and stp, throw it away and do it again correctly. 3. No Rajas? If you're keeping up with Sam on tp gain in that stuff, the Sam you play with must be terrible. 4. Get a back piece with atk str. KJ cannot crit, but it gets a bigger bonus than your other ws will (anecdotal) from stacking atk, much like Guillotine. 5. Ditch the Alkys, get spiked finger gauntlets, af2 hands, perle hands, tarasque, pretty much anything that doesn't have - dex. As other people have said, if you're doing that little dmg, you're missing hits. 6. Make an effort to get into a sky shell, or start a low man sky farm group. People shout that ***endlessly on Asura.
1) I got to the three paths and couldn't solo it anymore, you want to get me through it, be my guest. 2) Why would I do that, when I can just use a hauberk?(which I will be trying.) 3) As stated before, this, nor what I've been scanned in is a tp set. I have never posted a tp set. And there hasn't been a sam yet that I haven't done a good job getting close to. (No, I don't match tp gain completely, but I'm definitely not left in the dust) 6) I'm lucky to be in a dyna group. With working full time and going to school full time, I don't have time for a lot of endgame. I pick the parts that I want to do the most, that I find to be the most enjoyable. As for point 4 and 5, I'll give them a shot
The best gear wont come over night just spend time doing what you like with the time that you have..and slowly work on getting the gear you think you will need..and tinker around with different items to produce the best numbers.
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 14:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alymorel said:

1) I got to the three paths and couldn't solo it anymore, you want to get me through it, be my guest.

2) Why would I do that, when I can just use a hauberk?(which I will be trying.)

3) As stated before, this, nor what I've been scanned in is a tp set. I have never posted a tp set. And there hasn't been a sam yet that I haven't done a good job getting close to. (No, I don't match tp gain completely, but I'm definitely not left in the dust)

6) I'm lucky to be in a dyna group. With working full time and going to school full time, I don't have time for a lot of endgame. I pick the parts that I want to do the most, that I find to be the most enjoyable.

As for point 4 and 5, I'll give them a shot

1. I'll be soloing it for my alt once I get my main jobs all capped off at 80, I'll send you a pm when I'm ready to roll.

2. Last I checked Haub doesn't have stp.

3. Even an average Sam (byakkos, turban, rajas, the rest as nq/ah gear) should be hitting 19% haste with a 6hit. You don't have a 6-hit, I don't need to see your gear to know what you have, because there is plenty of information to tell me what you don't have. Ie.: Rajas, Brutal Earring, stp body, ASA haste legs, etc. Since you don't have haidate or a swift belt, I know that you have at maximum 13% haste. With a 7hit, 13% haste (maybe less), and +39 base delay; you are not coming close to the tp gain of what I would consider to not be terrible (lacking basic gear to be useful at their job). Make it a polearm Sam with a basic 5hit, and you're left even further in the dust.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say it as a jab at you, but there are very basic game functions that make this clear, regardless of whether or not you post your tp set. I wouldn't have said it if I couldn't back it up.

6. I can't argue with that, I work 45~ hours a week and help my gf with her Psychology Master's coursework. That said, prioritizing the wrong things first only makes you less successful in accomplishing the fun stuff. Sometimes you just have to buckle down and get the groundwork out of the way if you want to achieve more.
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 14:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Eat Pizza and that should solve alot of your acc problems..and I don't know why ppl are so against Alky's for Multi hit..yup the -dex sucks but it can't crit so it doesn't really matter..Alky for KJ Heca for RR.

RR > KJ unless new war ability has changed that, along with new camp/Mobs. Where will ppl merit now that birds/Mamool are lame past 76ish?

When you use a multi hit ws, your dmg suffers the more hits you miss. You're not using the dex for the crit, it's for the accuracy. It's the same reason Mnks stack acc for Asuran, and why acc is priority on Guillotine. If you have the gear to support it, Alkys for KJ during Aggressor only is fine. The OP does not have the gear, and is doing himself a disservice by sacrificing more accuracy.

KJ will outperform RR depending on your current buffs and the mob's defense. RR gets it's shine from it's crit ability, which bumps it up noticeably on mobs with higher def.

There were several new exp camps added, none are amazing, but luckily there's no shortage of 75 players to sync to atm. No clue what we'll be doing for 80+ though once those syncs start running dry.
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2010-06-29 16:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@Solara (quotes don't seem to be working)
I know a hauberk doesn't have stp. I did indeed put stp on there, but I also put double attack on there. I also made that piece LONG before I ever did Nyzul and got the sturdy axe.
------------
The reason I was using the alky bracelets mainly is (and this was just my thinking/reasoning) with being mithra I already had an extremely high dex and with getting the moogle hat and putting on the wsacc aug I figured it wouldn't hurt too much. I was wsing in my warriors mufflers before and wasn't getting very high numbers and I was wiling to try anything. I also got the bracelets for free and I knew KJ had a str bonus to it.

Again, I'mma post numbers after work and Dyna, so stay tuned!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-29 16:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The dex from mithra only adds a couple points of accuracy, it's nothing game-breaking.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-29 16:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
KJ will outperform RR depending on your current buffs and the mob's defense. RR gets it's shine from it's crit ability, which bumps it up noticeably on mobs with higher def.
I've never had KJ do anywhere near as good as RR on any mob or even close..just saying.

And boy am I glad that I got really close to capping merits on the good camps before the update.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-06-29 16:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:

RR is also nice in general to use when buffs are down. On high enough DEF mobs, you start getting more into SC territory. Personally, I tend to use KJ with Berserk up, RR when down, unless I'm on mobs that I have a high chance of crit on, like birds.

Second that Alky's can be good for KJ, but it would very much depend on your build as a whole, and that the OP's build is ACC-deficient, so they're probably not a good idea. Needs more ACC/ATT.

That said...
Quote:
The dex from mithra only adds a couple points of accuracy, it's nothing game-breaking.

Technically, it's at least the same as what Alky's take away. 6 points at 80 over Hume/Taru/Galka, and 9 over Elvaan (if the stat calculator has been updated anyway). Certainly not game-breaking, but still worth 4 or 6 ACC over other races for 2h weapons.

Point is more that, from that standpoint, the OP is correct...a Mithra with Alky's is simply negating their DEX lead over other races.
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2010-06-29 16:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I change up between RR & KJ and really don't notice much difference unless as everyone already said, there's an issue with the mob's eva vs. my acc. but even then...that's usually only an issue if I noob it up on my part (get over-zealous and WS before buffing; TP:100% >> meditate >> WS >> wack wack >> WS).
I have sam & rng though so war doesn't get much of a workout and on top of that, the only 2 GAs I have are a shitty Erlking's with 94 dmg. Attack+6 DA+1, and then of course Fortitude axe (which I personally love).
Even with Fort. Axe I can EXPECT KJ to crank out at least 600+.
In Rolanberry Campaign I can easily 2-Hour, full buff, and solo-zerg a Quad down to 50%~ before having to go on the defensive as war/sam.
Since the introduction of the Magian weapons, I've been reluctant to take war out because I would obviously be gimped as my Erlking's is crap, Fort. sux stones, and I already have sam & rng which are going to do far more for me and those around me.

Just my 2-cents. Sorry it's not much help without a pic of my gearing but there are already way better pics up of what to aim for anyways.

Personally I like my Alkys and haven't really had much of a problem with the -dex because if that amount of -dex is what makes all the dif between 1.2k and 200 dmg - there are bigger issues at work other than -6 dex.

I have seen talk in other threads that while KJ does have a "recorded Primary STR mod", there is also an un-recorded (not listed on wiki), matter of attack+ having as much or even more of an impact on KJ.

Again, just in my opinion - while attack+ is going to obviously greatly effect WSs like Rampage, Guillotine, and Penta the most (the highest number of hits/WS), when you get down to a WS that only has 2-3 hits, I like to focus on str and the highest possible dmg rating on the weapon itsself. That's not to say I think attack+ shouldn't be a serious concern still, just that the str and base dmg of the weapon should be primary.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw a war earlier running around in absolute crap, offered him some advice, and got slapped for my trouble so at least you're making an effort and that is paramount.
Those around you should thank you for taking your performance into consideration as it effects them as well.

Best of luck and give 'em Hell!
 Leviathan.Aneu
Server: Leviathan
user: Luz
By Leviathan.Aneu 2010-06-29 16:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing... Generally a lot of more evasive mobs (THF and NIN mobs) have high AGI and are not worth trying to get RR crits on the way I play WAR, I prefer to KJ them (Dynamis-Xarc mobs for example). Those same mobs actually benefit more than others from the -DEX (-ACC) on Alkys' to put more perspective on the -DEX. So half the time when Alkys' STR are viable... the -DEX isn't viable. You really won't regret n.hands if you get.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-29 17:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read all the posts just wanna say 2 things.

1. Someone posted an item set with sword strap, wtf?

2. If you are doing 200 dmg KJ on average you are naked with a level 1 Gaxe OR you are broken. Call a GM.
[+]
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 17:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I've never had KJ do anywhere near as good as RR on any mob or even close..just saying.

I'll post some pre-level cap raise screen shots when I get home to show you what I mean.
Asura.Isiolia said:
Asura.Solara said:
RR is also nice in general to use when buffs are down. On high enough DEF mobs, you start getting more into SC territory. Personally, I tend to use KJ with Berserk up, RR when down, unless I'm on mobs that I have a high chance of crit on, like birds.

Second that Alky's can be good for KJ, but it would very much depend on your build as a whole, and that the OP's build is ACC-deficient, so they're probably not a good idea. Needs more ACC/ATT.

I agree with all of that.
Quote:

Technically, it's at least the same as what Alky's take away. 6 points at 80 over Hume/Taru/Galka, and 9 over Elvaan (if the stat calculator has been updated anyway). Certainly not game-breaking, but still worth 4 or 6 ACC over other races for 2h weapons.

Point is more that, from that standpoint, the OP is correct...a Mithra with Alky's is simply negating their DEX lead over other races.

This is true to an extent, however other races need to work harder to make up that difference and still cap acc. If you have it, there are other slots that would be preferable changes, especially when you're out 15 dex from standard (haidate) gear pieces.

For example, assuming pizza and no merits, OP's KJ set. 84 dex base, 83 total after bracelets, 276 gaxe, 38 gear acc, 36 from pizza.

Using Zorander as an example on elvaan, you have 67 base dex, 27 gear dex, 31 gear acc, 36 from pizza.

Exact same total acc for both of them, doesn't have the acc to cap on anything above a Skoffin with Aggressor up (434, 88% on MMJ). Drop Aggressor, and you're not even capping on birds anymore (@94~%).

Zorander's Raging Rush set on the other hand, is still capping out on MMJ Infiltrators with aggressor up (452, 95%).

By leaving acc uncapped on a multi hit, you are lowering your chance of landing full hits. Since acc caps at 95%, the likelihood of landing all three hits with capped acc with your RR set is is (.95)^3= 85%. Doing that with 88% acc KJ set as a starting point? 68%

Not only that, you are also lowering your chances of landing a double attack (or two), puts the RR set at 77% of landing 5 swings, but the KJ set only has a 52% chance which is pre gimping it's effectiveness by 25%.

Eyeballing it may make it seem as if RR is inherently better, but the way you gear for the ws also affects it's efficiency, which is why I'm trying to stress it's importance.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-29 17:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember correctly the item set with the sword strap is a lazy mistake, that was never fixed.

These are my gear sets..
RR

KJ

I can rotate some gears around for minor changes but these are my typical sets.

I have yet to see a KJ worth noting..So I will stick with RR.
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 18:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking said:
Didn't read all the posts just wanna say 2 things.

1. Someone posted an item set with sword strap, wtf?

If you have a true 6-hit, sword strap will outperform pole grip in all situations. If the reason why isn't obvious (which it should be), I'll show you the math.

Leaving it in once the 6-hit became ws dependent was just laziness on my part.
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-06-29 18:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
If I remember correctly the item set with the sword strap is a lazy mistake, that was never fixed.

These are my gear sets..
RR

KJ

I can rotate some gears around for minor changes but these are my typical sets.

I have yet to see a KJ worth noting..So I will stick with RR.

The set I based my math on (I took a screen shot of what you had on there earlier to work from) had a kubira bead neaklace, but was otherwise unchanged. Feel free to recalculate with the additional 10 acc, I was more attempting the explain the importance of having enough on WS, not criticize you in particular sets. I just used you as an example because you also used alkys.

Like I said earlier, I'll go through my screen cap folder and grab some pre level cap KJ's. The two ws are, again imo, interchangeable depending on buffs, mob def/agi.
 Asura.Delos
user: Cipher
By Asura.Delos 2010-06-29 18:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I am one of the SAM's that she runs with every once in a while. While Aly is correct her KJ arent doing very good for her and she does have a decent WS set up to what she has access to. And no offense to you Aly but your STP doesnt even begin to keep up with me. You dont have enough STP to keep up with a 6 hit. I relize that i do not have the best gear but its on its way. With the level cap going away on CoP my Raja's is only a couple days away. And my acc is high enough 2 hit my 6 hits. You have never mentioned this to me for help, I know that i dont have WAR lvld but i have learned a few things about WS acc. Specially a multi-hit one. I have a special build for Rana but I'll be glad to help you with any gear you would like to attempt 2 get. As for CoP I have invited you to join us but you turned me down. Offer is still out there.
 Fenrir.Mankey
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-06-29 18:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How do I post my WS sets from WAR? :x I honestly go more attack heavy on KJ since i mainly use it on HNM/HL mobs, RR is hands down the better WS. Also personally I would never use Alky's on WAR outside of SC, even being a mithra, being a mithra just makes reaching those crit tiers on HL mobs for RR easier, dont replace the DEX with minimal STR :x
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-29 18:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On the bottom of each gear set you have there is a link just copy and paste whatever you want into your post.
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-06-29 18:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

ty, this is my KJ set, mostly for HNM, worked well on Ixion, don't know since lvl increase
this is my standard RR build, changes made based on mobs AGI and my current buffs/food
Edit* Never should any WAR equip a Nbody
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-06-29 19:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mankey said:
ty, this is my KJ set, mostly for HNM, worked well on Ixion, don't know since lvl increase
this is my standard RR build, changes made based on mobs AGI and my current buffs/food
Edit* Never should any WAR equip a Nbody

Not every body has Ebody for KJ... Hbody gives you 12str

edit why are you wearing fierce belt and heca pants for KJ... begressor gives you atack/accuracy
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-06-29 19:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I found even w/ merits/food still better off sticking with Haub over Are's/Hbody
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-06-29 19:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mankey said:
I found even w/ merits/food still better off sticking with Haub over Are's/Hbody

you do know that KJ mods are 50%str why are you stacking +attack gear where you can wear more str?