Mana Wall Good? Bad?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Mana wall good? bad?
Mana wall good? bad?
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-06-25 12:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted your idea on the blue gatir form of this forum and one of the posters effectively ended this idea. Here's what he said:
Quote:
I think the key mechanic being leveraged here is the fact that Mana Wall basically gives you (potential access to) 75% damage reduction: 50% from normal -damage gear, and 50% from Mana Wall. No other tank can do this.

The major drawback is in that you can't actually cure a Mana Wall tank, only various forms of refresh (plus convert). That's ultimately the dealbreaker; even if you solve the enmity issues, the current realistic refresh max is around 15/tick. 15/tick regen (and no cures) for a bloodtank, even with 75% damage reduction, is not even close to a sustainable strategy.

I've looked the only other way to gain mp that i've been able to find is whm's merit skill: Devotion and even with it maxed out its recast time is 10 minutes. So yea there's no way to make the "mana tank" idea viable.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-06-25 12:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
I posted your idea on the blue gatir form of this forum and one of the posters effectively ended this idea. Here's what he said:
Quote:
I think the key mechanic being leveraged here is the fact that Mana Wall basically gives you (potential access to) 75% damage reduction: 50% from normal -damage gear, and 50% from Mana Wall. No other tank can do this.

The major drawback is in that you can't actually cure a Mana Wall tank, only various forms of refresh (plus convert). That's ultimately the dealbreaker; even if you solve the enmity issues, the current realistic refresh max is around 15/tick. 15/tick regen (and no cures) for a bloodtank, even with 75% damage reduction, is not even close to a sustainable strategy.

I've looked the only other way to gain mp that i've been able to find is whm's merit skill: Devotion and even with it maxed out its recast time is 10 minutes. So yea there's no way to make the "mana tank" idea viable.

Yeah, the key was to get 75% reduction then reduce the remaining amount with Phalanx and Stoneskin so you could potentially take 0 damage between Stoneskin casts. But when you said that Phalanx was calculated at a different point, I was just grasping at straws on how to improve it. :(

Oh well, it was a good dream :P
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-25 14:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why early on I said blood tanking was really just the back up. The blm should still be /nin and avoid the majority of the dmg with utsesmi (not to mention give them time to cast in haste fast cast emnity gear or idle in more auto-refresh and less PDT).

Any job that can get decent amounts of hate can blink tank really.

Nins have a slight advantage being able to evade some stuff have a much better chance to cast while being hit due to skill and more shadows.

Plds can cast thru hits with shield block and also reduce there dmg significantly with said block.

Now blms can severally reduce the dmg and recast utsesmi thru getting hit like the plds but it is a 100% thing not a chance.

As far as emnity yes they have taken a bit of a hit on spells for CE. However they still got a few. There is always opening with a spell. As well as aspir stun sleepga (2). Not to mention you shouldn't be losing emnity from getting hit...

As far as refresh goes... you have refresh itself at 3, 4 from diablos favor, a good cor should be able to keep the roll at 4 or 5, the double ballad for 3 more and sigil/sanction for 1 more when active.

That would be 14-16. If you got a relic brd add 4 more. While idling with utsesmi up add I believe now 3 more
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-06-25 14:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't believe some ppl look at this JA like its a bad thing lol. It's not like now that BLM has manawall they're gonna go out and try to be rambo or some sh&t. It's just 1 more option to keep you alive, and or in situations where reg blm > weakened blm.
[+]
By sztoid 2010-06-25 23:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Manafont + Mana wall = Invincible?
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-06-25 23:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

sztoid said:
Does Manafont Mana wall = Invincible?

yeah make sure you try it out soloclaiming a hnm with competition around to show how boss you are
By sztoid 2010-06-25 23:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
sztoid said:
yeah make sure you try it out soloclaiming a hnm with competition around to show how boss you are

Its called besieged... no xp loss remember?
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-06-26 00:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

sztoid said:

Plz read the forum before asking questions. (you'll see you are not the first one to ask this.)
By sztoid 2010-06-26 00:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
sztoid said:
Plz read the forum before asking questions. (you'll see you are not the first one to ask this.)

(Pass}
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-06-26 00:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Added the answer to the manafont + mana wall = ? question in the op.... will no longer be answering that question.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-07-09 11:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I didn't read the last page or so. But keep in mind, you can 'cure' hp. You can't 'cure' mp. You can do as you said, refresh, mage's ballad, mage's roll, convert, etc. But aside for convert, most of those act as a 'regen' except to mp instead of hp. It means no "ohshit!" cure bombs when tanking. I'd have to think about more about how convert would work into it, I know someone already explained how they thought it would work. Now I'm not trying to say I don't want to see a BLM tank. That would be interesting and a change of pace. I just wanted to bring up something that crossed my mind.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [112 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-29 13:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Can it work nao?

50% PDT/MDT gear reduction + Phalanx + Stoneskin + 60% damage taken(Mana Wall + AF3+1 feet) + Juicy Refresh + No Hate loss when taking damage + No TP feed when taking hits.

+15mp/tic atmas or maybe 10/tic and some atma that has damage reduction. +6-7mp/tic RDM refresh, 5mp/tic COR, 5mp/tic SMN, 7mp/tic BRD. 40mp/tic, meds, and Convert when needed mixed with no spell interruptions for Stoneskin and 80% damage reduction.

Damage > PDT/MDT Reductions > Phalanx > Stoneskin > Mana Wall >
1000 500 470 120 48+29SS Cost
200 100 70 No SS 28