Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Vorpal Blade Equipment Suggestions
Vorpal Blade Equipment Suggestions
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-05-18 03:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Football Helmet's got ACC+10 ATT+5 STR+4 WSACC+15. Might be overloading on ACC here, but I figure maybe using meat from now on might be a thought, unless it's not needed in favor for Spell Accuracy. Suggestions?

Note: no I actually don't use Beast Slayer in main hand because FFXIAH is screwy when it comes to Dual-Wielding main/sub weapons.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 03:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said:
Forager's Mantle, Swordbelt 1/Fierce Belt, Dusk Trousers, Tarasque Mitts 1, Gnadbhod's helm, and Mirke Hauby/Assault Jerkin are easy to get atk pieces, and if you're on sushi you probably should be using them.

I didn't ask for a list of all peices with more than 7 attack on them lol. I said ones that are better than what I'm using.

I mean really:
9-10 more attack over 5str/dex,
12 more att over 4str/dex 5store tp/subtle blow
9 more attack over 6 str...
Already got the mirke.
forager's maybe.
And yeah Gnadbhods obviously better in ever way but being easy to get...

Anyways after doing some math I'll say foragers and Gnadbhods definitely win though that's partly because I haven't seen definite testing that says this much dex adds this much crit.

The others though yeah... not so much. 1 hand weapons get more of a boost from fstr and stat mods just because there base dmg is so much lower to begin with.

As far as keeping pdif better well your a blu roar that mob and you probably have a rdm keeping your mp good so at least dia III. And really you should be able to cap acc with pizza.

Doing that a colibri would have 244 def and swapping foragers and gnadbhods would put my attack up to 478. That would keep your non crit hit pdifs from 1.12-1.92.

While your suggested setup would actually overcap my ratio so only get pdif up to 1.16-2.03

So 3.5-5.7% higher pdif on non-crit and 1.9-2.7% higher pdif on crit:

Or 4.9% more base dmg and higher chance to crit.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-18 03:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with badass gear, your TPin ACC will barely be more than passable (~85-87%) on mobs as or moreso evasive than a lolibri.

With ACP helm you can easily cap ACC on merit mobs for Vorpal even without ACC food.

Also, spells require ~30-40 less ACC to cap than melee swings because of their base accuracy bonus (that's enhanced by merits).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 03:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:

Football
Helmet's got ACC 10 ATT 5 STR 4 WSACC 15. Might be overloading on ACC here, but I figure maybe using meat from now on might be a thought, unless it's not needed in favor for Spell Accuracy.
Sorta depends on what you are fighting and what you are using.

And should obviously merit swd and set acc bonus.

Assuming that and using my base 63 dex you'd need another 89 acc total between gear food and spell setting to cap on lolibri. Including acc from skill and dex.

Merits will give you 2 acc per merit I assume you will do full.

That set should give you 86.7% accuracy on ws and 84.2 on spells assuming you meritted physical potency without food. Though obviously you wouldn't wear that neck for spells. Also probably a little low since I don't know what spells you set for dex.

But yeah anything that lvl evasion or higher you aren't capping without food. You will however still cap with with pizza.

As far as tping... not sure what you have but let's say if you take my current tp set and switch out the flame ring for a 7 acc on and use PCC instead of chiv and if I was fully meritted I could get 86.5% acc tping.

Could almost cap in tp if I used that trial swd with dex and acc instead of my koggles or for you instead of your beast slayer. And you could almost cap on spells/ws with that added on. Assuming of course still capped swd merits and such.

Which almost makes it worth using I think... hmmm. Though my ws/spell set contains alot less acc so... yeah putting more acc into that to keep that good vs meleeing a little harder and maybe wsing a little harder...
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-05-18 04:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

TP:

Still need Homam Legs and Feet, though right now I can get away with using Enkidu Feet for TP.

Additional Info: 8/8 Sword Merits, 5/5 Physical Potency.

Spells:

Usually I swap in Pallas for CA+Vertical Cleave. Full Blue Magic Merits to boot.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-18 04:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of use don't bring enough pizza to spam it at colibri? -Most- RDMs don't even have Dia III, let alone have the ability to keep up with R/H cycles and healing with Dia II on top, especially with a /SAM heavy pt. Also, my Roars are really hit or miss on those annoying *** birds, probably because they like t resist wind a bit.

Looking at that picture you posted, if that's your WS setup, you'd still be, barely, under ACC cap with pizza. Without it you'd be rocking about a 76% hit rate on birds. So I'm gonna say you'll be wanting crab sushi on birds, so you're ATK would still be pretty low, and you'd be a bit over ACC cap, meaning you should probably put in that ATK+.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-05-18 04:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be my WS set he quoted, Brain.

Crab Sushi sounds reasonable for Birds, while Pizza+1 elsewhere for that Attack boost (maybe?).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 04:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk in all reality my blu mostly does things like nyzul, einharjar, and random NMs. Yeah it wouldn't be as crazy with only Dia II though not using that at least is kinda ewww. Not using III would change things a little. Hell I don't have it lol.

Idk I have maccros for full macc/skill so I land Roar pretty good on most things. If nothing else could use enervation instead since from my using it it seems slightly more accurate then frightful roar in general. Or at least on harder mobs.

Didn't notice my setup isn't quite capped on the lvl 82 ones. Still capping on the 81 lvl ones.

Granted that is only becaue I'm 4/8 swd merits so only rocking 289 swd skill in that. 3 more merits would be more than enough. Or just getting a ws gorget. Or my MKE helm. Or getting enkidus gloves finally. That will change if I switch to foragers obviously.

While yeah lower attack and def mods throws things off.

So does acc.

That sets extra dex/acc let's me eat pizza and still cap acc with just 5 more acc. Your set I would need 15 more acc so idk ws gorget full merits. Not like I'd get a gorget just for vorpal blade on blu. Seems a bit of a waste just for more acc I wont need unless I switch other gear around on the ws I use least freqeuntly on the job I ws the least frequently of all the ones that actually do ws lol.

But yes if you don't use pizza AND don't lower the mobs defense and it is something at least as high of def and have an evasion that is not much higher than a colibris AND having a lvl difference that is at least as big as that then more attack at some spots would probably be better.

But like I said I general don't run into that on blu as I do things to mitigate some and well on harder stuff generally it's rdm or blm. So about now T2 VNMs and bosses in ein/nyzle are the hardest things my blu fights and I mostly croud control/stun/debuff in ein. Mostly stun lock on VNMs and well generally only have enough excess tp for 1 ws in nyzle before boss is dead
 Leviathan.Abriel
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-18 07:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

double march + spy's drink is a very sexy thing~

it's not all that bad hitting base acc in the mid-390s for tp on blu, can even hit a bit over 400 while still using rajas + brutal and keeping 20% haste in gear (going to need to toss the steel plated parachute pants with haste+acc at that though, lol). it won't be cheap and might get stuck on some waiting lists, but none of the gear's close to being as difficult to get as it is for most other jobs.

WS acc shouldn't really be a problem at any time with available options, but spell acc can get a bit tricky if you're going to try to squeeze all the mods you can out of gear and keep capped acc with pizza. most spell gear isn't that bad to aquire either, but it most likely will require the same amount of time to max out as a tp set. it's still kind of tough to determine the exact acc bonus spells get as it seems to differ from spell to spell (I'm probaly underestimating it, but I don't give it more than 15~20 before merits when calculating).
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-05-18 09:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also, spells require ~30-40 less ACC to cap than melee swings because of their base accuracy bonus (that's enhanced by merits).

I'm not so sure on this. I don't think I've seen any real data that shows that spells, beyond the first hit, are more accurate than melee attacks, aside from the +10 accuracy from merits.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-18 16:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really even bother with ACC on my big 3 setup. Never really seems to need it. Posted it elsewhere but:

Perdu
Beast
Tiphia
Gnadbhod's
Kubira
Delta Earring
Minuet Earring
Magus Body +1
Enkidu's
Rajas
FLame
Smilodon +1
Warwolf
Mirage Shalwar
Marine M Boots

That puts me at about 72% melee ACC on Colibri, but I know Headbutt landed at capped land rate (This was while duoing Greaters for my Antea),considering margin of error. I don't have capped Sword merits yet either.

As for whether it applies to all hits or not, while it's eyeballed, my Big 3 numbers are pretty consistent and if there were only a 72%-ish hit rate, my number would be total *** balls.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-18 16:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

excuse me if I sound a bit baffled, but what does headbutt have to do with that gear set?

testing has shown most physical spells to get a native boost to acc, and my own experience confirms that to a degree. the exact bonus for most multi-hits is still unconfirmed (that I know of), but at 75 bludgeon was shown to get close to a 15% bonus (the only real problem is that the tester didn't remember if he had potency merits during the tests, lol). other test were later done that show other spell had also received a bonus, but no further testing was done to draw a conclusion as to the exact bonus for each different spell (which did seem to differ to varying degrees). if it's still there you can find this info on the huge blu thread on BG, be warned it's a few hundred pages the last I saw it, I think (several months back), lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 17:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm didn't know that. Would like to see such testing and Idk have it followed thru to find the amount before or after merits since supposedly how much they add is known.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-05-18 17:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The original accuracy testing that I saw (and this may have been the one you're talking about) was only done with Head Butt, a single hit spell. Given that single hit WS also get an accuracy bonus to the first hit, this makes sense.

However, given the fact that multi-hit WS operate differently from single hit and only get an accuracy boost for the first hit (there was some testing on this in another thread- http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80361), I don't think one should jump to the conclusion that all hits passed the first one get the same boost.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-18 17:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

it was probably the same thread. there were a few links to testing with other spells on it, the sample sizes were too small to show anything other than giving confirmation to an unknown bonus.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-18 18:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it was VZX of the Alla boards that did the testing that showed +30acc on Blue magic. Him and Doctorugh do most of the Blue mage testing there I believe.

If the ACC didn't apply to my Multihits, they would suck so hardcore with my setup that it's not even funny.

The reason I'm thinking that there's an ACC bonus to the whole spell itself is kinda meh, but since it's magic, and each magic spell has it's own accuracy bonus (observed by using sleep, sleep 2, Blind, and Dispel with the same gear/stats, they have different success rates), then it should apply to Blue Magic as well. Right? Right...?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-18 18:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

VZX and somebody else as I recall - 4 spells involved? I recall Head Butt, Sprout Smack, and Uppercut for sure. Obviously none of those are multihit. He wasn't very happy with the results though; VZX had PP merits while the other guy didn't and yet both ended up with a 28-30 acc boost.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 18:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be satistfied with just a few spells.

I mean everyone goes on about how much more accurate single hit ws are yet testing the ones I got on jobs I have without triple/double att kinda came up with about the same acc as my melee accuracy once I got it uncapped with blind pots.

Granted those are crap weaponskills but it's enough for me to believe not all single hit weaponskills get an acc bonus
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-18 18:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's well known that all single-hit WS don't receive the accuracy boost, not sure what your point is there. Also, the acc boost on the relevant WS is far above what spells seem to get - more in the +100 range.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 19:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

My point is shouldn't make blanket assumptions like that
By Virtuosus 2010-05-18 20:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks all for the input. Also, can somebody explain that whole 110 DEX thing somebody posted earlier? I'm a bit noobish when it comes to ffxi math, is that the target DEX people go for to get a good critrate% on GColibri?

Also, as for my swords, just went 1/2 on Koggelmander, so that's a slight upgrade. What magian soulsaber should I be aiming for, DEX+8 Acc+8 or STR+4 Atk+12? I currently have no immediate access to Perdu, so I'm gonna need something temporary to sit next to me Koggel besides this Beast Slayer.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-18 20:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're a sushi eater, the 4str/12atk one is a great choice.
By Virtuosus 2010-05-18 20:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

But of course, nothing but sushi here. So it would definitely work out best for me, especially over the long term? (No clue exactly how long it'll be before I get Perdu, but gonna work on ranking up when able.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 20:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The dex thing was about how crit hit rate vs Ddex isn't exactly linear.

I forget the numbers exactly but I think min crit hit rate from Ddex is 5% and at around 40 Ddex is about 10% then from 40-50 it's about 1% per Ddex added. Idk someone else might have better numbers as I can't find the testing right now.

As far as trials go highly dependent on your gearing food and what you are fighting. Good trial swds for blu are the Higher dmg OAT one. If not that or you still have a slot open the dex/acc if uncapped acc. str/att if capped. Pizza's always good too if it still caps you. Even if you have to use the dex/acc to stay capped.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-18 20:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
It's well known that all single-hit WS don't receive the accuracy boost, not sure what your point is there. Also, the acc boost on the relevant WS is far above what spells seem to get - more in the 100 range.
Just out of curiosity, sidewinder aside, what single hit WS's don't receive the acc boost?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-18 20:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Most/all of the low-level ones don't - the higher level ones aside from the acc varies with TP WS like Slug Shot and Sidewinder all do as far as I know, relic WS included.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-18 20:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it applies to low lvl ones too. Just non parsed personal experience, but back before sushi/pizza/what not, I'd be running around with probably like 60-70% acc in valkurm and qufim and still manage to almost always land WS's.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 21:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk about all of them but I tested flat blade, VB and shadowstitch at 75 against EM steelshells using blind pots. My wsacc was either about the same or actually lower depending on the which one I used. Without the blind pots my acc was too high so was hard to tell.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-18 21:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure at least a few of the lowbie WS don't get the boost.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-05-18 21:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of sample size you talking about Dasva?

Edit: And yeah, dunno, I've always felt like WS's seemed more accurate than meleeing. I just wanna see if people have actually tested before you take it for granted that low lvl ones don't have a bonus.