Games You Regret Ever Playing..

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Games you regret ever playing..
Games you regret ever playing..
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21
 Seraph.Corrderio
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-04-29 21:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it for a Christmas present so I didn't miss a dime, but holy ***at the torture I put myself through to beat it.
 Shiva.Moogleking
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Moogleking 2010-04-29 21:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

the first saga frontier. that game offered multiple endings and 100+ hours of gameplay but i would rather watch paint dry then play that game again.
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-04-29 22:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well flion, at least "you are not alone" (lolz wrong game). I'm a ff8 fan too.

To this day ff8 was the only game that i finished and right after watching the final scene i started playing back from scratch. That's how much i got into it. It was the single game that made me finish it twice in 2 weeks with over 100h of game each time.

You can say draw draw draw is a pain, but damn leveling materias is too. I think i beat 7 only once at "100%", but 8 i did it every time i played it (3 times). It simply is much easier and actually fun thing to do.

I really hated leveling at 7 due random stats generated on level up. I actually tried to get a good stat distribution each time i lvled up (reseting and trying again). Later i simply gave up doing this, but i always hated this in a game after that (ff7 is also the reason i kept away from xenogears after finishing it once). Now with 8 i had complete control over leveling up by using GFs. So it fitted my perfectionist soul much better.

Storyline wise both games are gret imo. But 8 simply captivated me more.

Well i'm going to drop this here lol. It is not my intention to make anyone like the game. I just wanted to point a few of the reason why i do.
[+]
By eskae 2010-04-29 23:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxi
 Sylph.Kajihime
Server: Sylph
user: Chobit
By Sylph.Kajihime 2010-04-30 01:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Phonics
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Phonics
By Gilgamesh.Phonics 2010-04-30 02:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Second this
Leviathan.Dubont said:

Total waste of my time and the only game I've traded in for store credit at gamestop since my first PS2 broke and they were offering $10 trade in on all games (even those selling in store for less than $10...)

Also this...

I want to explain that even though I regret playing this game, I absolutely loved it. My beef with this title comes from the fact that there are very, very important missables. For those who are unfamiliar, the game is a generic turned based RPG, but it does what these games do very well. The characters, storyline and battle system were all entertaining enough.

The problem comes with the fact that you need to encounter "Masters" and meet certain requirements for them "train" you. When you defeat enemies and gather exp, you learn abilities and gain stats based upon which master you are currently training under. There is a cut scene in the middle of the game where one of the towns you visit is under attack or something and the game is more or less telling you "hurry it up and get out of here ***!" I of course, was immersed in the storyline and proceeded ahead quickly instead of exploring the town a bit more and totally missed going into a house that contained the most important master in the game. This master was important because not only was he/she very good, but you could not train under some of the other masters until you first trained with this one. So I kept going about the game not knowing any different, and finally got close to the end where I wanted to max my stats and level up before a final showdown. But I wasn't anywhere near strong enough for this showdown because I could not train under the most important masters. This was like 7+ years ago so my memory on the in-game circumstances might be a little bit foggy, but I am damn sure that I did my research later and found out that npc master was indeed a missable that I could not ever talk to again.

This game in particular is one I would still like to go back and replay because I really did enjoy it. Sadly though, it has made me follow FAQs for just about every RPG since and has basically taken the fun out of just "playing" RPG's in general. 60+ hours is a lot of time to sink into a game only for you to find out you missed something important 30 hours in and can't undo the damage without a full restart.
 Fenrir.Mefuki
Server: Fenrir
user: Mefuki
By Fenrir.Mefuki 2010-04-30 02:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

At first I was shocked that someone would mention the awesome and criminally underated Breath of Fire VI in this topic but, after reading your post...Yeah, similar thing happened to me...

Haha, and I also had the same learning experience on "missables" thanks to this game.
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2010-04-30 02:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sephrin said:
Diabolos.Zealboy said:
Odin.Ahligieri said:
Bought this and played through all of it, to see what the hype about it was. What I got was probably the most boring game I've played through in my entire life. Had the gameplay and exploration been like Zelda, it would be a lot better (does a wonderful world map). It took 80 hours for me to go straight through it, which is way too much time considering how simple the gameplay and story are. Why do people like this series?
I liked 8. I almost didn't buy it, as the only other DQ game I had played was 7, and 7 was AWFUL. That was the snoozefest for me.

When a series has gone on for this long, the popularity of it is for the die-hard fan. Obviously if some random person who's never heard of DQ before will not like it. I liked this game and the music was awesome.

It's cool if you like the game/series, but you didn't answer the question. Why exactly do you like it? What made you this non-random die hard fan in the first place? I'm genuinely curious.

I've seen lots of people go "I started Final Fantasy at #." I didn't even know what an RPG was and I loved Final Fantasy 7 right away. That's no excuse for Dragon Quest.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-04-30 02:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Vincentius
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-04-30 02:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually did start at Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, but didn't play another till 7. Since that though, I've played 7-13.

1: Too awesome. For it's time, it's a motherfucking 10/10.
7: Win. 9.9/10
8: BLAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH. 4/10
9: Pretty good, I'd play it again if I had it. 9/10
10: Eh. Liked it, wouldn't play it again though. 7/10
11: Uh, 5 1/2 years into so far. /sigh 9/10
12: Meh. Wasn't able to get into it. 5/10
13: Too short, strange story, but I enjoyed the game itself. And who can beat a Lesbian love tree saving the earth? 9/10.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-04-30 02:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Anhero said:

I wonder how zombie tastes...
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-30 02:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Chopper Attack.

Final mission is on the moon. Nuff said.
 Seraph.Corrderio
Server: Seraph
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-04-30 03:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was expecting something like Super Punch Out, instead I got a game that made no sense at all.
 Diabolos.Rydiya
Server: Diabolos
user: Rydiya
By Diabolos.Rydiya 2010-04-30 03:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.. Did they hire some crappy 13 year old to design the box art?
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-04-30 03:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:

I tried so hard to convince myself it was a decent game. But the gravity of reality weighed down on me. It was pretty shitty.

i needa replay this, for some reason i dont remember it being that bad O.o lol.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-04-30 04:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragon Quest is purely a "love or hate" series, from what I know. If you enjoy "traditional" gameplay pulled straight outta the 80s, Akira Toriyama's goofy artwork, or Koichi Sugiyama's music, or scenario-based storytelling, then you'll probably love it.

The series never really reinvents itself or tries anything risky, instead making baby steps when introducing new gameplay concepts (job system, monster raising etc.). It's possible to see Dragon Quest's simplicity as a boon, being free of feeling too gimmicky. Some find comfort in this kind of familiarity, while some others don't and prefer change.

Dragon Quest 8 is a pretty weird example though(it was partly developed by the folks behind Dark Cloud if that says anything). Each DQ had something awesome and unique about it (DQ5 was genealogy-based and had monsters as party members, while DQ7 had TIME TRAVEL and a badass class system), but DQ8 only introduced full graphics for once and a weak-*** linear skill system. Which is sorta sad, I think. Of course, this is opinion.

...as for games I regret playing (bought this full price), Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. The game wasn't THAT bad but it sure as hell wasn't worth the money. It felt like a major drag in some parts, even with 4-players going on.

Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-04-30 04:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't regretted playing many games, If it's not entertaining right off i'll stop.

I do regret buying a few random generic 10-20 dollar titles that launched at that price, can't remember any specific names as im a pc gamer for the last few years only now, but u know what I mean. The ones so cheap you think they might be worth it... well there not.

Unless it's a first person shooter game you play online, I'd suggest all the pc games u try, that you download them free first(not condoning pirating) and IF you like it, go buy it and get legit copy, shouldn't have to waste your money on them if you hate it and are nto gonna finish it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 07:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ferth said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Ferth said:
Or you could just run away from everything but boss fights and the final boss would be level 7. *shrug*

As for the rest of what you said... I don't even know what most of that means. But as I said before... near the end I just really stopped caring about the game 'til I eventually stopped playing.

And that speaks volumes for how the game effected me. I didn't care enough about the story or the gameplay to finish it.

We could be arguing about favorite colors at this point, I don't think either of us are going to change each other's mind.

The last boss was capped at level 70 at least.

You seem to be very ready to hate something that you know very little about :/

All the mobs in 8 leveled with you. If the last boss was level 70 its because you were level 70.

Lol no it isn't Certain bosses and enemies had a floored level, and they remained at that level regardless of yours.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 07:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Ferth said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Ferth said:
Or you could just run away from everything but boss fights and the final boss would be level 7. *shrug*

As for the rest of what you said... I don't even know what most of that means. But as I said before... near the end I just really stopped caring about the game 'til I eventually stopped playing.

And that speaks volumes for how the game effected me. I didn't care enough about the story or the gameplay to finish it.

We could be arguing about favorite colors at this point, I don't think either of us are going to change each other's mind.

The last boss was capped at level 70 at least.

You seem to be very ready to hate something that you know very little about :/

All the mobs in 8 leveled with you. If the last boss was level 70 its because you were level 70.

Lol no it isn't Certain bosses and enemies had a floored level, and they remained at that level regardless of yours.

Now that I look into it, her floored level is 45, Ultima and omega are 70 and 80 respectively.
 Cerberus.Ferth
Server: Cerberus
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-30 12:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless, it didn't stop that guy from killing her with 13 being his highest level character.
 Sylph.Akibakei
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-04-30 12:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sephrin said:
How would you do the ending for FF8 then? I liked it. I like everything so bite me. Many of you fail to see the idealism behind an RPG. It's a video game not a novel. You want all the backstory and how the character felt 10 years ago while taking a dump? Go read a book.

This is horrible troll logic. Most FF games are made with depth and character development and this is what we expect, yet that's wrong?

Just sounds like someone doesnt like to read cut-scenes.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 12:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ferth said:
Regardless, it didn't stop that guy from killing her with 13 being his highest level character.

There are level 1 play throughs of nearly every final fantasy.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 12:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Akibakei said:
Cerberus.Sephrin said:
How would you do the ending for FF8 then? I liked it. I like everything so bite me. Many of you fail to see the idealism behind an RPG. It's a video game not a novel. You want all the backstory and how the character felt 10 years ago while taking a dump? Go read a book.

This is horrible troll logic. Most FF games are made with depth and character development and this is what we expect, yet that's wrong?

Just sounds like someone doesnt like to read cut-scenes.

Which it sounds like you, seeing as you don't remember key parts outlined in the story lol.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-04-30 13:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

now i dont remember much of ff 9....but what i don't understand about this video..is how the hell can you go through all those bosses and not gain 1 level? that just sounds impossible...
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 13:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If you petrify or stop your enemies, you won't gain EXP after the battle, you will only gain AP. Bosses in FFIX are immune to stop and petrifaction, but defeating them won't give you EXP, either. The only three non-boss enemies that will give you unavoidable EXP are in the three forced battles in Pandemonium, but you can fight Ozma once you acquire Hilda Garde III. Also, Virus and Zombie prevent your characters gaining EXP as well.
 Cerberus.Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-30 13:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps you are confusing akibakei with me...

I admit I don't remember every minute detail about a game i didn't like over 10 years ago...

What a douche i must be...

To dislike something without being fanatically devoted to every minute detail about it...
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-04-30 13:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ya, but you dont get those that early in the game do you? do you just run from every battle? lol and how does one gain the AP to learn stop and petro if you aren't killing bad guys? also..how does thievery do 4k+ at level 1? lol wtf
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 13:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ferth said:
Perhaps you are confusing akibakei with me...

I admit I don't remember every minute detail about a game i didn't like over 10 years ago...

What a douche i must be...

To dislike something without being fanatically devoted to every minute detail about it...

Well the points your making about the game being bad are kind of well pointless seeing as you don't understand the game enough.

If you'd simply said the game was boring then I'd accept it, but you're making ***up that isn't true.
 Cerberus.Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-30 13:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not making ***up.. It doesnt matter how they justify the memory loss its still a gimick and cheap writing.

Granted I didn't remember all that about ultimecia being some time traveling body snatcher but that doesn't make the story suddenly good.

Even if you want to go the route of squallsdead.com and say that all the crazy *** plot twists are squall's dying dream then the game basically boils down to you failed 10-15 hours in and the rest is a huge waste of time, you didn't save the world you didn't get the girl, you dreamed it all and now you're dead.

Yeah it's a mind trip but it doesn't make it a good story.

Part of being boring means the story didn't grab me. the main reason it didn't grab me was because it was a poor story.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-30 13:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ferth said:
I'm not making ***up.. It doesnt matter how they justify the memory loss its still a gimick and cheap writing.

Granted I didn't remember all that about ultimecia being some time traveling body snatcher but that doesn't make the story suddenly good.

Even if you want to go the route of squallsdead.com and say that all the crazy *** plot twists are squall's dying dream then the game basically boils down to you failed 10-15 hours in and the rest is a huge waste of time, you didn't save the world you didn't get the girl, you dreamed it all and now you're dead.

Yeah it's a mind trip but it doesn't make it a good story.

Part of being boring means the story didn't grab me. the main reason it didn't grab me was because it was a poor story.

Well that's personal to whom-ever is playing the game. I've always found VII's story really gimicky, and generally lack luster. The bad points you were bringing up earlier were due to game mechanics, and like I said you know *** all about them.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21