Where Did All The Freedom Go?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Where did all the freedom go?
Where did all the freedom go?
By Trebold 2010-04-20 17:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on Sharia, so I'm asking a question: Do Sunni and Shi'a Muslims have different interpretations of Sharia? If so, how does that affect a country with high populations of both?

Well, by example, United Arab Emirates is predominately Sunni Muslims. While in Iraq, it's mostly Shiite Muslims. Sharia Law is in both these nations, but it's much more neutral in UAE. On the far right, you'll have people who stone girls to death for being raped because they've lost their virginity before marriage. And on the left, you won't see that, but you'll still see penalties for going against the law, as in being gay as I've said a lot already.

So, yes, they have do have strict vs. lenient interpretations of Sharia, however, it's still based off of a 1400 year old law-book.
By Trebold 2010-04-20 18:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on Sharia, so I'm asking a question: Do Sunni and Shi'a Muslims have different interpretations of Sharia? If so, how does that affect a country with high populations of both?

Sorry, didn't answer your last question. What ends up happening is pretty much the same thing as what happens when Republicans and Democrats duke it out. Except there's often more hostility because religion is involved in the matter.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-20 18:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
How many US-laws (that are actually acted upon, not those bogus "beating your wife on Sundays is ok" laws which aren't acted on) say that if you like gay sex, then you should be put to death?

Homosexuality was punishable by death in all thirteen original colonies and remained that way for quite awhile. The justification for it was Biblical.

As we speak, The Family and other Christian groups are helping write laws for Uganda and other African Christian nations to also make it punishable by death.

Strict interpretation of Biblical law is just as harsh and intolerant as Sharia when implemented to the letter. After all, the Biblical punishment for a disrespectful child is also death. The penalty for adultery is burning at the stake. Etc.

The difference is, modern Western countries have mostly implemented secular frameworks that minimize the harsher teachings and keep them out of government, while much of the Middle East has not. It has everything to do with the relationship between religion and government, and little to do with the religion in question itself.
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-20 18:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Weren't the original 13 colonies first discovered on the basis of obtaining religious freedom from the brits?
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-04-20 18:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
So, yes, they have do have strict vs. lenient interpretations of Sharia, however, it's still based off of a 1400 year old law-book.

How about the Bible...?
People still follow that to the word.
Just as ancient.

My view is... I never get into religious debates for one reason:

Until "God" comes down and sets the record straight...
Everyone will worship what they will.
Believe what they will.
Act upon what they believe is written to be true.
And follow what they believe is the right course of action in the eyes of "their God"

Wake me up when God's here to tells us who's right and wrong.
And punish the disbelievers.
And open the gates of "insert your holy land here"

I'll be there with popcorn and a camera to put it on YouTube
[+]
By Trebold 2010-04-20 18:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Trebold said:
How many US-laws (that are actually acted upon, not those bogus "beating your wife on Sundays is ok" laws which aren't acted on) say that if you like gay sex, then you should be put to death?

Homosexuality was punishable by death in all thirteen original colonies and remained that way for quite awhile. The justification for it was Biblical.

As we speak, The Family and other Christian groups are helping write laws for Uganda and other African Christian nations to also make it punishable by death.

And since we've moved from a Church and State ruled life, we've done things like abolishing slavery, giving equal rights to men and women(currently still in the works), and allowing freedom of speech. If we were bound to a book for our laws, these things would never have happened.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-04-20 18:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
And since we've moved from a Church and State ruled life, we've done things like abolishing slavery, giving equal rights to men and women(currently still in the works), and allowing freedom of speech. If we were bound to a book for our laws, these things would never have happened.

But...we haven't.
If we did... Gays would be able to marry in any state they wish.
But since The Bible states that Marrige is between a "Man and a Woman"...

See where I'm going with that?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-20 18:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:

Exactly. The best moves western society have made were all contingent on moving towards secular government and moving away from a strict interpretation of scripture as law.

The Middle East, by and large, isn't there yet, but it has nothing to do with Islam being any more inherently WTFviolent than Christianity. It has to do with the relationship between government and strict interpretation of their respective books.
By Trebold 2010-04-20 18:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Trebold said:

But...we haven't.
If we did... Gays would be able to marry in any state they wish.
But since The Bible states that Marrige is between a "Man and a Woman"...

See where I'm going with that?

Like with the equality between men and women, it's all still in the works. But we don't put anyone to death over a victimless crime.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-04-20 18:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Trebold said:

Exactly. The best moves western society have made were all contingent on moving towards secular government and moving away from a strict interpretation of scripture as law.

The Middle East, by and large, isn't there yet, but it has nothing to do with Islam being any more inherently WTFviolent than Christianity. It has to do with the relationship between government and strict interpretation of their respective books.

Just be sure to differentiate between Christianity and Judaism.
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: niktod
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2010-04-20 18:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Trebold said:

Exactly. The best moves western society have made were all contingent on moving towards secular government and moving away from a strict interpretation of scripture as law. The Middle East, by and large, isn't there yet, but it has nothing to do with Islam being any more inherently WTFviolent than Christianity, as measured by a strict interpretation of every line in their respective canon.

Exactly. The best moves western society have made is to write black on white that you have the right to bear arms and defend your self against ppl that do strict interpretation of scripture as law.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-04-20 18:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
Like with the equality between men and women, it's all still in the works. But we don't put anyone to death over a victimless crime.

Scroll up and look at my other post.
As I said...its all a matter of "Our God says THIS" vs "Well, we believe in something DIFFERENT!"

It's all a matter of following and interpreting ones own religion and what thier Holy Word is.

Do I agree with putting people to death over gay sex?
HELL NO.

BUT... until "God" comes down to set the record straight...
This arguement will last eternal.
By Trebold 2010-04-20 18:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Trebold said:

Scroll up and look at my other post.
As I said...its all a matter of "Our God says THIS" vs "Well, we believe in something DIFFERENT!"

It's all a matter of following and interpreting one's one religion and what thier Holy Word is.

Do I agree with putting people to death over gay sex?
HELL NO.

BUT... until "God" comes down to set the record straight...
This arguement will last eternal.

Hmmm, I think you're confused with who I mean by "we". I mean US-laws. If you think I'm defending Christianity, you're mad wrong lol. Just read my posts in that other Religion forum. Clearly stating I don't believe in god. I'm talking about civil liberties for people, and if that means opposing people who have no regard for civil liberties(as hypocritical as that is), I'm all for that.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-04-20 18:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
Hmmm, I think you're confused with who I mean by "we". I mean US-laws. If you think I'm defending Christianity, you're mad wrong lol. Just read my posts in that other Religion forum. Clearly stating I don't believe in god. I'm talking about civil liberties for people, and if that means opposing people who have no regard for civil liberties(as hypocritical as that is), I'm all for that.

gotcha. I apologize. I missed that.
 Sylph.Akibakei
Server: Sylph
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-04-23 09:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-april-22-2010-zoe-saldana

This is worth watching. John Stewart devotes the first 10 minutes of his show to the Muslim website, based in New york, who is threatening the lives of the South Park writers.

He says it in a way that I cant, which is why I am not on TV.