Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » blu sub for rdm
blu sub for rdm
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-04-13 02:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

im sure everything in this game is situational, but when is blu as a sub for rdm useful? with dmg reduct. gear and coccon, phalax, protect 4, taco, stoneskin isnt this gody? let me know what yall think on this
 Alexander.Necrosigh
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Necrosigh
By Alexander.Necrosigh 2010-04-13 03:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a very nice support job for sword/dagger and shield solo as RDM. With Genbu's Shield, Cheviot/Umbra Cape, Jelly Ring, a good defense set, the buffs you mentionned above aswell as a defensive food, you can melee solo some NMs, or skill up very efficiently (I'm thinking at Shield and Parrying skills against mandragoras in Boyahda Tree). Just be careful to keep cocoon and phalanx up all the time, because if the mob(s) hit hard or very fast, your HP can go down very quickly - and cocoon lasts about one minute, if I remember.

I have a RDM friend who almost plays only in RDM/BLU, really, it is a good sub for tanking ; I remember duoing with him Mission 5-1 (cap 50) with 1 RDM/BLU and 1 RDM/BLM.
By Sierran 2010-04-13 06:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

With SS, coccon, phanlax and genbus shield a EP or DC mobs shouldnt be able to do you any damage. get a SS MND build set and your be fine. Very good against mnk based mobs.

You can also buff up on STR based spells and auto regen. then vorpal blade stuff to death.

with /nin you used to lack a decent ws on sword but death blossom is good so you tend to see more rdms /nin and /dnc then blu.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-13 08:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I made a thread before about how I was accused of haxoring due to how many mobs I held at once. And this was in as much parry/shield gear as I could get for skillups.

I've used it on some NMs and such. Doesn't always work but meh. Like for example there was one that pwned me on rdm/nin. Was right when the last batch of NMs came out and wasn't expecting to be immune to grav bind and sleep. And was like hitting me for 350-400ish with frequent double attack. Geared up for def and PDT and phalanx and was more like 50-100. Now there is that -5% pdt swd which is looking nice to use too. And the -2% ring.
 Bismarck.Evolex
Server: Bismarck
user: Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2010-04-13 09:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sierran said:
With SS, coccon, phanlax and genbus shield a EP or DC mobs shouldnt be able to do you any damage.

Phalanx n genbu alone w/ any sub, EP and DC mobs should still be barely hitting you. Coccoon is totally overkill on def needed for ep/dc.

/blu is fun as hell. Just recently did ODS solo w/ a little dmg- gear, nowhere near as bad as i thought it was going to be. Also if i have an xp band left to burn i just jump on rdm and kill marids till it wears.

Best of luck.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-13 09:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just barely hitting you isn't enough when it's like 20 mnk types. You will get interrupted out of everything and die
fairly quickly. And well /blu is nice for vorpal blade
 Fairy.Toastandjam
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Toastandjam 2010-04-13 09:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i have also learned for subbibng Blu that some NMs that wiki says resist stun does not in all cases mean it resist headbutt. While headbutt is harder to land or get stun effect have found it works on some NMs.. Chainspell Headbutt
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-13 10:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/BLU is pretty beastly as an Einherjar puller. Stuff struggles to break your Stoneskin, even with entire armies on you with -50% PDT, Cocoon, Phalanx + Tacos (just don't let Cocoon wear...)

Other than that, it's good for some supertanking stuff (RDM/BLU could potentially do Divine Might etc).
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-04-13 11:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to be a really great sub if SE follows through on their statement of giving Blue Mage native Dual Wield.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-04-13 14:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

i heard a well geared rdm/blu could solo charbis "joytoy" NM anyone know of any who have?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-13 16:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
i heard a well geared rdm/blu could solo charbis "joytoy" NM anyone know of any who have?
I've seen vids of it. But it probably isn't what you think. They /blu because when you do get into range it will stop more dmg then a few shadows given the number of attacks. They still kite as even full geared up you take too much dmg. At least for now.