Did Update Affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Did update affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?
Did update affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?
First Page 2
 Unicorn.Boyaci
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2010-03-24 00:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Did the update have any negative affect on the learning of blue magic for you, or am I just experiencing really bad luck:

I have spent approx. 8 hours of play since the update in Tahrongi Canyon trying to learn Healing Breeze. I am currently level 17 and my Blue Magic is capped for my level.

If this is not a result of the update, can anyone offer tips to assist with the learning process? Am I having trouble because of the fact that I am killing the lowest of the mobs you can learn from, or are there any other tricks of the trade that I can try to speed this process up a little?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-24 00:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Healing Breeze took me about 8 hours too.

Probably one of the worst spells in the lower levels to learn. Most likely bad luck.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-24 00:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

stupid answer here, but did you check your magic menu, to see if you've already learned it, it could be a honest mistake and you have already got it.
 Unicorn.Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2010-03-24 00:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
stupid answer here, but did you check your magic menu, to see if you've already learned it, it could be a honest mistake and you have already got it.

A LS mate suggested this as well, no such luck.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-24 00:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Healing Breeze took me about 8 hours too.

Probably one of the worst spells in the lower levels to learn. Most likely bad luck.
Same here. Had help and it still took me an unusually long time to learn. Learning blue magic can be a *** sometimes.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2010-03-24 00:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, and it's inconsistently a ***. I learned Healing Breeze on accident. Didn't even know, when I learned it, that you could learn above your level.. Just happened to kill a dhalmel on the way to Mhaura with a couple of friends when it aggroed.

I spent 6 hours trying to learn Self-Destruct, with a few BLU friends coming to learn it, learning it, and leaving while I was still going for it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-24 00:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh... Refueling. Very bad memories. Camped Lufaise for days with no clusters sighted (still haven't seen a cluster pop there to this day), then spent a few more days in Mount Zhayolm with friends. Probably 12 hours of actively seeking/killing clusters. Had maybe a half dozen other spells tick past the two-hour mark, but overall I have pretty good luck learning spells, under half an hour of actual hunting time on average. Hope that carries into the new level cap!
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-03-24 01:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Healing Breeze took me a good hour thank god
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-24 01:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Boyaci said:
are there any other tricks of the trade that I can try to speed this process up a little?
Keep trying. It just sucks on occasion.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2010-03-24 01:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Boyaci said:
are there any other tricks of the trade that I can try to speed this process up a little?

One thing I did when I was learning some things off weaker mobs was to use a low delay, low damage weapon to feed TP.. Not going to help with learning, necessarily, but made it easier to not waste time chasing after mobs or waiting for respawn on some of the more annoying ones.

I used Ibushi Shinai, as we have the sword skill for it.
 Kujata.Kensagaku
Server: Kujata
user: Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2010-03-24 02:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Oi, I remember the trouble of learning some of those spells. Healing Breeze was actually a pretty easy one for me, though most BLUs have a lot of trouble learning it. I think I learned it on the third Dhalmel my PLD friend held? Either way, it went pretty fast, which was nice.

Self-Destruct was one of my bigger ones too. >< I think it only took me about two hours, but it was still a pain to get. Memento Mori sucked too because of your small window of opportunity, and Sub-Zero Smash just wouldn't be used.

BLU spell hunting is a pain and it takes a lot of patience and sometimes some good friends to help you learn. Just plan to take a few hours prior to your AF hands, and even then expect that it won't always be on the first try. Keep with it. ^^
By nomad2637 2010-03-24 02:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely sucks on occasion. It took me a combined total of around 36 hours to learn Healing Breeze and about 18 hours for Cocoon. Luckily every other spell I've seemed to learn by the third try.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-03-24 03:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

9 hours on Wild Carrot here. Strangely enough, that was the last day I leveled BLU and was over a year ago.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-03-24 03:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

im leveling blu atm level 72 right now trying to get dissevment kinda tough fights for me, i have pretty much not had much trouble on learning any of my spells avg. time around 30 min. each, only ones i recall being difficult was head butt only cause i spents days trying to get it off wrong mob stupid mandies with there head butt lol, u cant learn from them and cocoon was my true nightmare took a few days, other than that usualy get my spells on first attemp or second.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-03-24 03:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

btw just a side note, best way to learn spells is sub a bst and just rest while ur pet feeds tp, anohter great way is to simply spam dia, it atcualy gives mob 10tp per dia very nice to use on low level mobs if u worried about killing them to fast
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-24 03:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

3 days to learn Healing Breeze. 1/287 on Magic Hammer. Sometimes it just sucks. CHR is widely believed to affect the rate at which you learn it, Tuna Sushi is a good food. Jesters +1 something to look into at higher levels, Subbing BRD is more viable for survivability but if you dont need it /BST for sure.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-24 03:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Later on, the best way to feed mobs tp to learn spells is Asuran Claws. 8 hits, *** all damage, only thing it's good for.
 Odin.Gorby
user: gorby
By Odin.Gorby 2010-03-24 03:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Learning BLU spells can be so frustrating. Magic Fruit took me WEEKS of solid battles. I had a really tough time with Metallic Body, too. Then one day I was running around one of the Altepas and I accidentally aggro'd a manticore while farming. I learned Heat Breath without even knowing it. I was level 62--well under 71 when you can cast it, and I didn't even know they used Heat Breath.

I've got a system that works pretty well for me: Keep your blue magic skill capped. Go after the highest level version of the mob you can handle with relative ease. Bring it near death, then let it hit you while you disengage, letting it build TP until it's used the target spell twice in a single battle, then take it out with a weapon skill. Have a WHM or "Soothing Healer" npc keep you alive.

With regard to Healing Breeze, this strategy will ensure that the dhalmel needs to use the spell. If he's at full health, he'll probably use Cold Stare or Berserk instead.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-24 03:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
3 days to learn Healing Breeze. 1/287 on Magic Hammer. Sometimes it just sucks. CHR is widely believed to affect the rate at which you learn it, Tuna Sushi is a good food. Jesters 1 something to look into at higher levels, Subbing BRD is more viable for survivability but if you dont need it /BST for sure.
wtf? Widely believed? I've NEVER heard that, so I don't know how wide this belief is. Also, /brd > /bst for survivability? You're doing it wrong.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-03-24 03:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

unless wiki is wrong i could have swore asuran claws hits 6 times, but im to lazy to open my wiki page so i leave it at that.
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-03-24 07:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
3 days to learn Healing Breeze. 1/287 on Magic Hammer. Sometimes it just sucks. CHR is widely believed to affect the rate at which you learn it, Tuna Sushi is a good food. Jesters 1 something to look into at higher levels, Subbing BRD is more viable for survivability but if you dont need it /BST for sure.

8) what game is this guy playing plz do not listen its utter bs. Blu magic learning is just chance like rolling the dice only thing you can do to gain a small advantage is to make sure your blu magic skill is capped for your current lv. Other than that its luck W. Somtimes you'll get it 1st try other times it might take 50 trys W O.o GL bro.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-24 07:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
unless wiki is wrong i could have swore asuran claws hits 6 times, but im to lazy to open my wiki page so i leave it at that.
Actually I think you're right, so it's even less useful :D

PS. First time I think I've ever agreed with Kalico.
 Siren.Alicenchains
Server: Siren
By Siren.Alicenchains 2010-03-24 08:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Its all based on luck really, all my sea spells i went 1/2 or 2/2 yet my friend when we tried getting hers we were there all night and didn't even get 1/2 of them >.>
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-03-24 08:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
daddyrabbit4444 said:
Actually I think you're right, so it's even less useful :D PS. First time I think I've ever agreed with Kalico.

I tried to use it, but it's not worth the MP cost for the TP the enemy gets.
 Unicorn.Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2010-03-24 14:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks everyone for all the responses and insight into your experiences as well.

I tried convincing a GM last night that he would sleep better if he'd:

A. Admit they broke the learning process with update and
B. Hit the JP button so I could learn the spell...

But he insisted that the system was working as intended so I'll just keep at it. >.>
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-24 14:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
I... you... what? No.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2010-03-24 14:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i spent over a week trying to learn healing breeze
 Kujata.Bobbymoon
Server: Kujata
user: Bobbymoon
By Kujata.Bobbymoon 2010-03-24 18:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me about 2 days... that spell seems to be a pain for most BLU.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-03-24 18:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard that spell is a *** to learn, but (not to be a ***) but I learned it in like 5 minutes :x

It's just really inconsistent.
By semimmortal 2010-03-24 18:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
I... you... what? No.
Don't forget add Azure Lore to the list there.
/smile
First Page 2