First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2010-03-18 17:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

/check Silvaria

You are equipping the wrong server, now come back!
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-03-18 17:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Liquidz said:
If I really do not know the person and just run past him, I will sometime check just by curiosity. I'm even more tempted to do this since they added augments.

If I start talking with someone for the first time or if the person is a new friend, I will politely ask if I can check.

The only moment when /check is bothering me is when the same person will examine me 20 times in 3 minutes. But then I just think maybe short term memory loss...

Oh damn, I do that on accident all the time. I see a bazaar bag and I check it, usually forget to check the name because I am just so darn curious to see what they are trying to sell, then a few minutes later I see another bazaar bag and check it and realize that it looks awfully familiar because I just checked it 2 minutes ago. D: Oops!
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 18:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Abunaii said:
Kill yourself.

I have NO idea why people do that, It used to be JPs ONRY that swapped gear when checked, then Japanese-wannabese started doing it.

I always wished that when they did that, you could steal a piece of their gear. XD But then there are those who swap unintentionally during /check, like macro-swapping.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-03-18 18:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Silvaria said:
I don't check people, myself, since I couldn't care less what gear they are wearing.

Lol, I hate you. When I check you I want you to check me back, goddamn it. :(
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-18 18:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

i've actually made a lot of friends from people /checking me.

if someone checks you, they're interested in you somewhat. be it even just fleetingly for that split-second of curiosity, they're interested in you. so i recommend replying simply w/ a hello. or if you want to be silly, like i often do, reply, 'how may i help you?'

try it.

Fenrir.Abunaii
Server: Fenrir
user: Abunaii
By Fenrir.Abunaii 2010-03-18 18:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Other people see it as an intrusion. Both people are right, and bitching about people who *** when you check them is, itself, just as bitchy.

If it was intrusion, and such a breech of privacy, it wouldn't be put in the game. Case an point, Ext of Fenrir. The guy is a psycho.

Everyone has experienced with this guy in particular, but many JPs on Fenrir spaz out like him. At the time I was also in a rival LS though, but he does it to everyone, old and new.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-18 18:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Abunaii said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Other people see it as an intrusion. Both people are right, and bitching about people who *** when you check them is, itself, just as bitchy.

If it was intrusion, and such a breech of privacy, it wouldn't be put in the game. Case an point, Ext of Fenrir. The guy is a psycho.

Everyone has experienced with this guy in particular, but many JPs on Fenrir spaz out like him. At the time I was also in a rival LS though, but he does it to everyone, old and new.

Go /away during spam and then check him again. Brace for lulz.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-03-18 19:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
oh lord...there are chat filters for a reason.

and
Fenrir.Abunaii said:
Kill yourself.

pretty much
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 19:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

While on the subject, Jmeyeh will /check the living *** outta you. Seriously, s/he once passed me and checked me like 5 times, all the while on a dead run past me. I'm not sure how, much less WHY s/he does it..
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-03-18 19:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

checked a JP mithra few months ago... he immediatly swapped gear and spam checked me 20+ times while /tell ing me over and over "<No thanks>" ; ; i wanted to know wtf was in his baazar >.>
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 19:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
checked a JP mithra few months ago... he immediatly swapped gear and spam checked me 20 times while /tell ing me over and over "<No thanks>" ; ; i wanted to know wtf was in his baazar >.>

LOL JPs used to have a self-inflicted stereotype because of doing that, on Phoenix not many still do it.
 Carbuncle.Rinomaru
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Rinomaru 2010-03-18 19:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
checked a JP mithra few months ago... he immediatly swapped gear and spam checked me 20 times while /tell ing me over and over "<No thanks>" ; ; i wanted to know wtf was in his baazar >.>

Blinkmenot>JP
 Fairy.Sirintegra
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Sirintegra 2010-03-18 20:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

examining a person is how we get to know eachother, just like how dogs sniff eachother's butts in "hello" ^-^
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-03-18 21:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

"just sniffing your butt, dog, don't get so uppity!" seems like it wouldn't go over that well. lol :I

This was always a weird topic of conversation for me, I never understood the sensitivty to checking, but met a lot of people I respected who were bothered by it. I don't know if a premature "no offense intended^^" /tell would smooth things over or not.
 Bismarck.Stephano
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Stephano 2010-03-18 21:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It's not just FF11. Every game that allows people to inspect someone else's gear without permission, all the way back to the Everquest and Ultima Online days, has had this problem and the people who complain about it.

The underlying problem seems to be a cultural one, or the checked persons' assumptions about the motivation of the checker. Some people don't like to be constantly reminded that people are e-peen comparing gear with them 24/7.

Some people might be self-conscious they don't have a certain "must have" item, and see the check as a precursor to an argument or judgment. Other people might just want to enjoy the game for more than 5 minutes without being reminded it's all about the gear.

I know a lot of Japanese players who see constant checking as a reminder that Western players see the game as a race to personal gear-driven l33tness than a game about group accomplishment through teamwork and skill. They get annoyed the same way you would be annoyed in real life if someone asked how much you make and what kind of car you drive the moment they meet you at a party for the first time. I can understand that too.

Point being: people play this game in different ways, with different goals. For some people, they play for gear and l33tness and so /checking is the primary mechanic that governs their experience. Other people see it as an intrusion. Both people are right, and bitching about people who *** when you check them is, itself, just as bitchy.

^this
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-18 21:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't explain why people with bazaars actually trying to sell stuff do it too...

Also remember what happens when you make assumptions... especially about someone your not even bothering to talk to and instead just rudely interfere with an ingame function they are using...
 Fenrir.Shambo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-03-18 22:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I love when people check me, it make my privates bigger
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-18 22:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/em examines you.

Let hilarity ensue.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 22:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

See, I LIKE being examined.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-18 22:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

you love your memes
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 22:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ghlin said:
you love your memes

Diabolos.Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-18 22:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

mad with power
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 22:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ghlin said:
mad with power

Diabolos.Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-18 22:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

you're waiting for me to post a 'no u' image macro.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 22:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ghlin said:
you're waiting for me to post a 'no u' image macro.

Not really, lol.
 Phoenix.Kusama
By Phoenix.Kusama 2010-03-18 22:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Remind me of jp that my gf /check once and he like

GM /check <no thanks> <you can have this> GM

Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-18 22:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kusama said:
Remind me of jp that my gf /check once and he like GM /check <no thanks> <you can have this> GM

I wish I WOULD get Gaol'd for that..

"Do you know why you're here?"

"No, tell me. Hold on, let me get my camera."
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2010-03-18 23:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Played from nearly 5 years and never understood this argument. If you don't like it -- there's a filter for it.

How hard is that? :-\

I never cared if someone checked me but even more than that, I didn't care to know someone checked me. Filter was always on. It's not like they can do a damn thing besides look at your gear and your bazaar message anyways.
 Fairy.Shiyo
Server: Fairy
user: Shiyo
By Fairy.Shiyo 2010-03-18 23:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Cute moogle avatar!
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-03-18 23:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Abunaii said:

This pic made me lol quite a bit. I love how he did all the mumble-jumble one last time after checking you again.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13