Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Thief's knife
Thief's knife
By Jaiydon 2010-03-03 16:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the TH+1 on Thief's knife activate on off-hand?
[+]
 Seraph.Phaded
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Phaded
By Seraph.Phaded 2010-03-03 16:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. The info is out there, just gotta look for it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-03-03 16:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

From my experience it never activates..
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2010-03-03 16:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
From my experience it never activates..

Same here!

But anyone who can notice a 1% increase just like that have to be a Rain man kind of person!

[+]
 Odin.Dryzt
Server: Odin
user: Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2010-03-03 16:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see why it shouldn't. If you offhand a knife with accuracy + on it you still get the bonus, right?
[+]
 Seraph.Phaded
By Seraph.Phaded 2010-03-03 16:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dryzt said:
I don't see why it shouldn't. If you offhand a knife with accuracy on it you still get the bonus, right?

Yea you do, but as a career THF I can tell ya, Treasure Hunter is a lie!!! It never works when you want it to and when it does you get a triple Fire Crystal drop >.>
[+]
 Odin.Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2010-03-03 17:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Phaded said:
Odin.Dryzt said:
I don't see why it shouldn't. If you offhand a knife with accuracy on it you still get the bonus, right?

Yea you do, but as a career THF I can tell ya, Treasure Hunter is a lie!!! It never works when you want it to and when it does you get a triple Fire Crystal drop >.>

lol I know what you mean, as does every other THF out there. yet I still strive to get TH4. :/
[+]
 Seraph.Phaded
By Seraph.Phaded 2010-03-03 17:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What's even sadder is im slightly anticipating the new Placebo TH they are giving THF. Yay more lies!
[+]
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2010-03-03 17:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=10&mid=1265668136274871562&num=34&page=1

This is a thread I started to find out why THF mainhand the knife. It pains me every time I see a Blau in the offhand with this knife in the mainhand, just about as bad as seeing a THF using a heartsnatcher.

So yeah, that thread didn't really get to the heart of the matter, you THF that do mainhand it, why?

[+]
 Odin.Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2010-03-03 17:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Darkcloudx said:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=10&mid=1265668136274871562&num=34&page=1

This is a thread I started to find out why THF mainhand the knife. It pains me every time I see a Blau in the offhand with this knife in the mainhand, just about as bad as seeing a THF using a heartsnatcher.

So yeah, that thread didn't really get to the heart of the matter, you THF that do mainhand it, why?
edited for clickity click.
also, I think the first reply on there pretty much got it. people are just superstitious.
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-03-03 17:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Since TH is a passive benefit, I honestly doubt it matters what hand it's on.
[+]
 Bismarck.Animaal
Server: Bismarck
user: Animaal
By Bismarck.Animaal 2010-03-03 17:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE when thief's Main hand Thief's Knife... some people swear on it only works in main hand but screw that. I've been a thf for a looong time and even TH4 doesnt make much a difference.. only time i notice TH is in dynamis sometimes.. but basically... everything is based off luck
[+]
 Phoenix.Kristiania
Server: Phoenix
user: JCCanezo2
By Phoenix.Kristiania 2010-03-03 17:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not; really? If you're in the PT for just the TH, put it in your main hand just in case; you're there to tag the monster and put your fabled TH on it anyways.

If you're actually doing damage, you should be using a better combo like Blau/Sirocco and swapping in the knife (and possibly hands) near the end of the fight anyways [examples that I can think of are Nyzul].

For soloing, who cares what they do.

The only situation I can think of is Dynamis when you're not pulling, in which case go with whatever the leader tells you to do (everyone has their own superstitions about it). And if you're not pulling, why are you there in the first place?

So; you ask why, I ask why not? And really, who cares?
[+]
 Hades.Deadfly
Server: Hades
user: Deadfly
By Hades.Deadfly 2010-03-03 17:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter if Thief's knife is in sub hand or main hand.

It's as crazy as the whole 'thf kill' theory.
[+]
 Seraph.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-03-03 17:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

When I look at it I see a stat. TH +1.

If your offhand weapon has a stat, let's say its Dex +1. Do you only get that stat if its in your main hand? Will you not get that stat if you miss with your offhand every time? Why is TH any different?

Treasure Hunter, to me, is always there. If you have treasure hunter and you do an action on the mob the mob now has your TH unless you lose with enmity loss or something or unless someone with higher th does an action.

The explanation where when a mob dies you get X amount of lot attempts and TH gives you more lot attempts sounds the best to me. It just makes sense to me. Is it true? Will we ever know?

So with this logic TH +1 gives you more lot attempts. Whether you roll the correct score to get a drop you want on those added lot attempts is a different story.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-03-03 18:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're farming, it doesn't matter.

if you're doing anything worthwhile, you use a proper dagger til the last 10% hp, and then swap it on, and then again, *it doesn't matter*. if placebo says main hand that ***, main hand it.

but i'm of the opinion that it works off hand. it just makes sense as chasuro says.
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2010-03-03 18:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I am about ready to throw mine out. It seems like I get better drops when I don't swap it in than when I do.

I suppose on mobs that you just can't physically hurt, it does not matter what weapon you main hand, and chances are you are going to be /WAR on those mobs anyway. Tink the mob and get out.

I did not specify the situation when I asked, but I suppose anything short of HNM. I don't know about you, but THF to me is more than just a TH ***. Main handing Thief's Knife just supports peoples claims that we are there strictly for TH, and we are not a DD. Where else besides HNM are you there strictly for TH? Any other situation I can think of you can do damage, and in that case, you are just gimping yourself.

Maybe I'm going to pick some open sores with this one, but it seems like when you see someone doing something stupid like this, it's not just situational, they do it all the time, in all situations.
 Seraph.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-03-03 18:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya see I don't like to swap it. For one you lose TP, 2nd I forget to swap. And well ... 3rd, I dont have anything better right now. -_- Main Stylet, Offhand Thief Knife

The reason I offhand Thief Knife is that its delay is slightly less than stylet. When you can prove to me that you dont get the stats of an offhand weapon I will reconsider. It sounds like a no brainer to me though.