Forum » FFXI » General » LS leaders, i'm curious
LS leaders, i'm curious
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 06:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not one of the players who had the OMGZ FU SQUARE I QUIT reactions to the new level cap announcement. However, it has definitely reduced my motivation to work toward new gear.

Not permanently, but i just feel like I'll be able to more clearly see what gear is still worth getting and what gear will become obsolete a couple of level cap increases later/once the expansion comes out.

I'm willing to bet i'm not the only one thinking along these lines. So, my question to LS leaders is, has this announcement affected your membership or attendance yet? Not necessarily people who quit, but more along the lines of people who want to see if Slavage gear is still worth it before they continue to do nightly runs.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-01 13:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My Linkshell LSmes is "Dead game. Log off."

We're still doing events, but our attendance has been kinda meh. Might also be timing, it's Midterms for college students, etc. I think most of my shell plays the game because there's nothing better to do, so it's not like we're going to quit....
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-01 14:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been saving for Ares's body ingots. With the announcement of Lv.99 I think I'm going to sit on my 15/25/35 pieces for a bit =/
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
I've been saving for Ares's body ingots. With the announcement of Lv.99 I think I'm going to sit on my 15/25/35 pieces for a bit =/

I know how you feel. I've been saving up to buy ebody, and i'm very close, but i'm certainly going to take a pass on it now. I kind of wonder if the market will crash as many people try to liquidate their gil before the value of their items go down.

Ninian, i really wanna steal your lsmes but i already done stole your spellcast so i'll have to restrain myself...
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-01 14:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. I've recently helped start up a new sky LS. I have to make a decision between keeping it going and just waiting. One of two things will happen: Sky gods will become a joke to level 99 or have their levels adjusted.

I'm sure most of the gear won't be rendered obsolete, but what will? I don't want to spend hours farming trigs and fighting gods for gear that will be tossed on a mannequin.

There are tons of 'what if's at this point.
 Ifrit.Keeria
Server: Ifrit
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-03-01 14:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

There are always "what if"s. It's not different from any other time SE introduces new gear. Did the announcement of Nyzul or ZNMs make people want to quit sky because they feared their gear would be obsolete? The only difference here is the level increase, which is making people assume all previous endgame will become moot. But that hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it will. SE seems capable of integrating new gear without destroying the old. They've done it tons of times already. :)
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-03-01 14:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ninian, i really wanna steal your lsmes but i already done stole your spellcast so i'll have to restrain myself...

It's funny, do eet. D:
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
I agree. I've recently helped start up a new sky LS. I have to make a decision between keeping it going and just waiting. One of two things will happen: Sky gods will become a joke to level 99 or have their levels adjusted.

I'm sure most of the gear won't be rendered obsolete, but what will? I don't want to spend hours farming trigs and fighting gods for gear that will be tossed on a mannequin.

There are tons of 'what if's at this point.

what's rough about that is that in my limited experience, if an ls takes any kind of extended hiatus, there's a very high chance it will never reform, unless it's a group of close friends.

i really don't envy the position that lses are in right now. The trouble is, i think that the main reason most people play the game at this point is their ls.

messing with the glue that holds the game together is a scary proposition
 Midgardsormr.Dionysius
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Dionysius
By Midgardsormr.Dionysius 2010-03-01 14:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I know how you guys feel, I mean I know it's not the same as salvage gear, but I was saving for a Zahak's Mail for my DRG and am pretty close to buying one atm. But is it gonna be worth it? Will the price crash a few months from now?

kinda sucks because I feel like it's not worth doing much for a while until things become more clear.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-01 14:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, Keeria. BUT with the introduction of new gear, SOME old gear is always rendered obsolete. The question is just how much of it.

The new EG is supposed to be done with a PT. The questions are 1) How often can you enter the zone (time limit? something similiar to tabs?) 2) How easy is it really? 3) How good is the 'AF3' 4) What are the rewards?
 Sylph.Tsujikiri
Server: Sylph
user: Tsujikiri
By Sylph.Tsujikiri 2010-03-01 14:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I am thinking some of the new gear will be similar to Campaign gear. Where the stats will be in effect once we enter area or event? Just my guess.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Keeria said:
There are always "what if"s. It's not different from any other time SE introduces new gear. Did the announcement of Nyzul or ZNMs make people want to quit sky because they feared their gear would be obsolete? The only difference here is the level increase, which is making people assume all previous endgame will become moot. But that hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it will. SE seems capable of integrating new gear without destroying the old. They've done it tons of times already. :)

be that as it may, i'm certainly not going to drop 20 mil gil on a peice like ebody that may become trash, even if SE does have a history of integrating gear. It's too much gil to be worth the risk.

If very many people think like i do, that's going to shut down merc lses, at least for now.

I'm also willing to bet there are people a lot less willing to camp for gear that might be obsolete soon. Sure, SE might keep it relevant, but why take the risk when you can put it on hold, make gil for now, and have a 100% chance of investing your time well later this year?

Edit: Krizz beat me to it lol
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2010-03-01 14:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll lol when something 2x better than Kitty pant's comes out, means i'll finally be able to get them.. >.>
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-01 14:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
what's rough about that is that in my limited experience, if an ls takes any kind of extended hiatus, there's a very high chance it will never reform, unless it's a group of close friends.

i really don't envy the position that lses are in right now. The trouble is, i think that the main reason most people play the game at this point is their ls.

messing with the glue that holds the game together is a scary proposition
There's also no telling how many LS members will quit because of the updates or focus only on the FFXIV beta.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-01 14:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tsujikiri said:
I am thinking some of the new gear will be similar to Campaign gear. Where the stats will be in effect once we enter area or event? Just my guess.
That ***pisses me off. I hate area-specific gear. Such an inventory hog.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:
I'll lol when something 2x better than Kitty pant's comes out, means i'll finally be able to get them.. >.>

i just got kitty pants a couple weeks ago ;_;
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-03-01 14:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just sayin'. We didn't all fly into a panic when Limbus was announced. Let's just ride it out and see how it goes instead of putting apocalyptic messages in our lsmes and telling all our members to take a hiatus. I think the most intelligent leaders will keep things unchanged until concrete stats are given on the new gear, then adjust accordingly. This is just another hurdle that any leader worth their salt will easily leap over.

Just my opinion, of course.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Keeria said:
any leader worth their salt will easily leap over.

haha, you may have a point here. thing is, only about 20% of leaders are worth their salt XD
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-01 14:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

the only times you can really compare is when the level cap raised. The lvl raising is what makes the new gear a bigger deal now.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 14:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
the only times you can really compare is when the level cap raised. The lvl raising is what makes the new gear a bigger deal now.

This too. It's going to be a lot harder to make sidegrades for say, lvl 85 gear than it is with 75 gear. I think the upcoming augment system for current gear also strongly suggests that new gear will be flat out better, not a sidegrade.
 Ifrit.Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-03-01 14:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

But so far, there will only be one or two endgame venues in which to obtain level 99 gear. If the average endgame player has 2-4+ gearsets for their job, and one of the new pieces they introduce per slot is crap (as always), then ONE of the 2-4 gearsets will have a swap in each slot. At least for now.

A few expansions from now, with tons of lv99 stuff, yeah. I'd see room for worry. But for now, I don't think we should fear so much.