FFXI LGBT Community, Who Are You?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » FFXI LGBT Community, who are you?
FFXI LGBT Community, who are you?
First Page 2 3 ... 1474 1475 1476 ... 1505 1506 1507
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-03-20 11:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Remolkentroll said: »
How you liking it over there?

I like living here for the most part. :]

A lot of things are horribly inconvenient (undrinkable water, difficulty finding decent amounts of meat, censored/slow internet, perpetual construction projects, lack of professional time management) or just plain gross (omnipresent ***smell, everyone smokes, air pollution, poor plumbing that lets the ***smell come up my drains! ><, no one uses hand soap) but all of these problems are much less severe in Shenzhen than in any of the other cities I've been to.

My chief complaint is probably that it's pretty much impossible to meet guys or date here. Well, unless you're into random awkward ladies who answer a simple question about work with long stories about their recent sexual frustration. <.<

Aside from that stuff though, daily life is pretty nice. People love having the opportunity to talk with someone from another country, which is great for me because that's the whole reason I'm here (I do too). XD I've been able to see some really cool places and do things that just aren't possible back home; a recent example being the accidental detour I took through an active construction site on the side of a mountain I was trying to climb down. XD Jumping across the beams of an unfinished bridge (with permission of course!), sliding from section to section, watching the work up close--you can't even go near places like that in the states (admittedly for good reason). One of the workers could speak pretty decent Mandarin, so we chatted for a bit about the new road (and my salary, which he laughed at for being "so low" ; ;). Was cool. :D And yea, random people ask you about your salary here. Kinda weird. <.< lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Junbug
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Junbug 2013-03-20 12:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
Fenrir.Remolkentroll said: »
How you liking it over there?

I like living here for the most part. :]

A lot of things are horribly inconvenient (undrinkable water, difficulty finding decent amounts of meat, censored/slow internet, perpetual construction projects, lack of professional time management) or just plain gross (omnipresent ***smell, everyone smokes, air pollution, poor plumbing that lets the ***smell come up my drains! ><, no one uses hand soap) but all of these problems are much less severe in Shenzhen than in any of the other cities I've been to.

My chief complaint is probably that it's pretty much impossible to meet guys or date here. Well, unless you're into random awkward ladies who answer a simple question about work with long stories about their recent sexual frustration. <.<

Aside from that stuff though, daily life is pretty nice. People love having the opportunity to talk with someone from another country, which is great for me because that's the whole reason I'm here (I do too). XD I've been able to see some really cool places and do things that just aren't possible back home; a recent example being the accidental detour I took through an active construction site on the side of a mountain I was trying to climb down. XD Jumping across the beams of an unfinished bridge (with permission of course!), sliding from section to section, watching the work up close--you can't even go near places like that in the states (admittedly for good reason). One of the workers could speak pretty decent Mandarin, so we chatted for a bit about the new road (and my salary, which he laughed at for being "so low" ; ;). Was cool. :D And yea, random people ask you about your salary here. Kinda weird. <.< lol

Is there a lot happening there in terms of going out for drinks? Or is it kinda hidden away?
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2013-03-20 19:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So, "The Pioneers" and "The Sacred City of Adoulin" from The Seekers of Adoulin site are what I've been studying to for the past four hours. ._.;

Memoro de la Sotono and Battle on the Big Bridge are other study favorites.
Has anyone else noticed that Final Fantasy music is pretty amazing to work to?
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-03-20 23:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Junbug said: »
Is there a lot happening there in terms of going out for drinks? Or is it kinda hidden away?
Western bar culture is only just starting to catch on in the big cities. Bars and clubs pretty much only open in "foreign" districts where lots of westerners live, shop, and eat. I get the impression that most of the (many) Chinese people you see in bars and clubs are only there because it's what "cool" western people do for fun. The music is all the same stuff you hear in the US, but with a good bit of Kpop thrown in for variety. :] Not many people seem to be big on dancing--usually the floors are dominated by westerners (if anyone at all). tbh I'm not really a huge fan of dancing or clubs myself, so I almost never go. Actually I've only been one time this whole year, and only then because I had someone to dance with already lol

Drinking in general is pretty widespread though. People are pretty competitive about it, which is always fun. :] Well, the men are anyway--most women won't drink because it's still kinda stigmatized. Whenever there's a dinner or a banquet, people pretty much force each other to drink (usually 白酒/baijiu, an incredibly strong rice liquor). If you run out, the person next to you will either pour you (a lot) more or share some of theirs. It goes on throughout the meal until people start giving up. Frequently, anyone who gives up will pour whatever they have left into the bowl of someone who's still drinking--usually me. x.x They have successfully gotten me drunk 2 times. XD Yay genetics and high alcohol tolerance !!

Pandemonium.Scrumpet said: »
So, "The Pioneers" and "The Sacred City of Adoulin" from The Seekers of Adoulin site are what I've been studying to for the past four hours. ._.;

Memoro de la Sotono and Battle on the Big Bridge are other study favorites.
Has anyone else noticed that Final Fantasy music is pretty amazing to work to?
I love music from FF games. :D And several other games as well.^^ Fun to listen back and remember all the great stories and characters. :]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-03-25 17:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hola! How was everyones weekend???
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2013-03-25 17:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.scribd.com/doc/132321204/HRC-Memorandum-of-Position

Quote:
S.B 65-70: The GLBT Funding Opt – Out Bill proposes “allowing students who object, for religious reasons, to the use of their student fees and tuition to fund this center to opt out of paying an amount equal to their share of the Centers funding from their fee and tuition bills."

This is my from my alma mater. ._.;
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-03-25 17:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That's ridiculous because many LGBT centers provide free condoms and a wide array of STI/HIV information.
[+]
By mattmac123 2013-03-27 21:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Valmur said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Junbug said: »
Thanks, so whereabouts are you peeps from? Any folk from the UK?

Wales -_- also Hi

Wales here as well ! Gay couple, near Pontypridd
[+]
 Leviathan.Ceceilis
Server: Leviathan
user: Ceceilis
By Leviathan.Ceceilis 2013-03-27 21:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the unfortunate fate of living in Germany, but it's Berlin, so that's not all that bad. Most people I know here are pretty cool and open-minded.
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-03-27 23:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It could be worse.
 Leviathan.Ceceilis
By Leviathan.Ceceilis 2013-03-28 02:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't know how things are in China, but I'm inclined believe you. Is it really as bad as media outlets state everywhere, though?
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-03-28 08:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people here don't ever really think about homosexuality or realize that it's actually a thing. Things like civil rights issues don't come up because no one's really talking about them outside of a few elite academic circles.

On the other hand, there also aren't powerful religious bodies working to repress LGBT people either; China is wary of religious institutions, which it (justifiably) views as dangerous power-grabbers. The government doesn't like to share its power, so it heavily regulates the activity of any and all religious organizations in the country--to the point that most churches open to the Chinese public preach more government propaganda than scripture. As a result, those who wish to have an "authentic" religious experience must either gather secretly in a private residence or own the foreign passport required to attend services at an expat church.

I think it's an interesting contrast to the US, where religion has such a powerful voice in the government. In China, the government controls religion. In the US, religion controls the government!
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2013-03-30 10:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

All I want to do is cook and bake today, but I have a lot of work to do. 8(

Sad day.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-03-30 23:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
I think it's an interesting contrast to the US, where religion has such a powerful voice in the government. In China, the government controls religion. In the US, religion controls the government!

Depends where you live imo. Growing up in a small town I felt religion suffocated me. The minute I moved to the main city, the idea of church became a joke.

It's such a joke in LA to go to Church, no matter if your LGBT or straight, that the term Church often is used to refer to Sunday Funday/Brunch.

Leviathan.Ceceilis said: »
I have the unfortunate fate of living in Germany, but it's Berlin, so that's not all that bad. Most people I know here are pretty cool and open-minded.
I thought Berlin had a pretty good gay scene/population??? Or am I confusing it for another German city?
 Leviathan.Ceceilis
By Leviathan.Ceceilis 2013-04-01 11:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
I thought Berlin had a pretty good gay scene/population??? Or am I confusing it for another German city?
Yes and no. People in the scene are incredibly shallow and overly tacky, so I tend to stay away from it.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2013-04-01 21:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Ceceilis said: »
Yes and no. People in the scene are incredibly shallow and overly tacky, so I tend to stay away from it.
I'm going to be spending a semester in Berlin next spring, so this saddens me. :c

Please tell me if there are some good drag queens -- that would make it better.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-01 23:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
I've been posting here off and on for years. I love CStat since that's where my partner is from. They don't make 'em like that in Houston (my hometown).

How many of you Texans will be at Bunnies on the Bayou this month?
Just now seeing this. I missed it but a few of my frat brothers were there. They seemed to have a good ol' time.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2013-04-03 20:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Went back and started earlier content from this thread.
Wow, things have changed~

I guess a huge thing FFXI taught me is that people may come and go, but the stories and the adventures we create together are amazing.
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-04-11 09:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Went 1/45 on heavy metal pouch after several runs each for Qilin and Uptala... and got 4 plates. XD
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-11 09:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

<< still hasn't done voidwatch so doesn't feel your pain.
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-04-11 09:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was really late to jump on the VW bus myself. Wasn't playing at the release, so I missed all the progression shouts. Being in China didn't help either--JP time rarely had shouts for any of the paths. x.x
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-11 09:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I never see any shouts either so I'll probably just end up having to use substitute gear... the odd time I do see a progress shout it's when I don't have time to do it and/or not looking for any jobs I can provide and have procs/gear for XD
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-04-11 09:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's always sad to get left behind on old content while everyone else is off in the newest playground. :< *coughcough*Adoulin*cough*
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-11 09:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind too much, I just wish I could use it as a source of gil since I can never bring myself to farm dynamis. Instead I just pick up what I can from npcing random stuff and the odd 5 digit drop on the AH... It's like picking up every penny you see on the street.

Edit: And I like Adoulin, it's gear helps me make my jobs not something to be ashamed of XD
[+]
 Fenrir.Remolkentroll
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Remolkentroll 2013-04-11 09:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol Ina, that's exactly what I do/how I feel!
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-04-11 10:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm super burned out on farming dyna too. x.x Been awhile since I felt like going in that place lol

I'm sure I'd love Adoulin, just don't have the expansion. ; ;
 Asura.Kravenx
By Asura.Kravenx 2013-04-11 14:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang it, im trying to get back on game °- ° but its so much to get back again Dx why was i so stupid and lost my old account :I
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-11 15:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

How did you lose it? If you were hacked you might be able to get SE to roll it back if you can prove you are the original owner (assuming you were the original owner)
 Asura.Kravenx
By Asura.Kravenx 2013-04-11 15:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I stopped playing , deactivated and uninstalled everything. Then i moved and lost my data and i have a srly bad memory... :I Then i was like.. pff, a very good way to get away from this game but well :I i love ff even its not the same as in past..and here I am Dx and that was before you had to manage everything over the SE account page..so i have not data there :I
First Page 2 3 ... 1474 1475 1476 ... 1505 1506 1507