Another try for membership
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2008-10-20 17:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this statement from Jaerik/Scragg is in one of the FAQs:

"Our users have made it abundantly clear that they would rather have ads, even RMT ones, than have to pay a monthly fee to access parts of the site."

But I'm still on the other side of the fence. I would like an option to make the ads go away. I will admit I haven't donated yet, and I feel guilty at that. But making ads go away would convince me to get off my ***.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2008-10-20 19:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithano said:
I know this statement from Jaerik/Scragg is in one of the FAQs:

"Our users have made it abundantly clear that they would rather have ads, even RMT ones, than have to pay a monthly fee to access parts of the site."

But I'm still on the other side of the fence. I would like an option to make the ads go away. I will admit I haven't donated yet, and I feel guilty at that. But making ads go away would convince me to get off my ***.

This shouldn't be the sole reason to donate, but I agree. A membership idea that cleared out ads would make me feel much better about helping out the site and not worrying about XSS attacks to steal my POL password.
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 19:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

dude, just get firefox and get the add on adblocker plus with a free subscription that helps keep all ads away.
 Lakshmi.Schultz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Schultz
By Lakshmi.Schultz 2008-10-21 07:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

What are those members smoking? As someone who runs other gaming sites, I know that members who love the service so much are willing for fork out and support a site with a membership. Even if it's $2/month, it's nothing to them, but a lot when it offsets server hosting bills by 200+

Maybe people don't want to get burnt like the whole Wikia thing. But if your a supporter of something, you should support it. I haven't donated because I've been waiting for the news of membership, and this makes me sad. Looks like I'll have to throw some gils on the table and hope for some sort of Donation buff.