Effect Of Presidential Election Over FFXI....

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » effect of presidential election over FFXI....
effect of presidential election over FFXI....
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fairy.Shirahime
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Chobit
By Fairy.Shirahime 2008-10-19 14:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Stolas said:
wanting to disarm our military and reduce our nuclear awareness...

which is extremely bad, bad, bad... u_u
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-19 15:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartthegod said:
its people like Xarchangel that are calling my house when im sitting at the dinner table to tell me who i need to vote for i get enough ***trying to watch tv thers 2-3 ads during the break is that not enough?

Political ads are annoying as hell. Honestly I think they need to be regulated more(to limit the spread of misinformation).

I'm not sure where this "Obama wants to disarm the military and decrease nuclear awareness" comes from...Source?
 Phoenix.Bartthegod
By Phoenix.Bartthegod 2008-10-19 15:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

lmfao yeah theres so much misleading information almost worth ignoring it all
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-19 15:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartthegod said:
lmfao yeah theres so much misleading information almost worth ignoring it all

That's pretty much what I do lol..."Oh hey a political ad" *change channel*.
 Gilgamesh.Shadowchaser
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Shadowchaser 2008-10-19 16:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in my opinion none of this matters because Barack should not be allowed to run for president!And yes i resarch and follow the polotics everyday.But this is just my opinion but what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyspCRmJv7w
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-19 16:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

that's why i stopped watching heroes on TV. now i just watch it on nbc.com and get those "do you like paper?" commercials. there are actually less commercials and they only last ~30-45 seconds vs the 2-3 min on TV. i wish they would put more stuff on the internet to watch like that.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-19 16:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowchaser said:
Well in my opinion none of this matters because Barack should not be allowed to run for president!And yes i resarch and follow the polotics everyday.But this is just my opinion but what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyspCRmJv7w

You're joking right? You can't seriously believe this...
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-19 17:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Further research shows that the producer of that video is a Christian extremist who calls himself a "Christian Soldier". His show airs on Faith TV at 10 o'clock PM(they had to push it back to a later slot due to complaints). He accuses Barack Obama of being a Muslim while also accusing him of being part of a racist Christian church(I guess a Muslim attends Christian services for the "lulz").

In January his video "Making Mohammed Cookies! shows a chef, wearing Islamic headdress, baking a cookie in the shape of the Muslim prophet. He's interrupted at one point by his roommate, whom he shoots with a handgun while yelling, "Jew!". He pushes the idea that any Muslim is a potential terrorist. He has several videos slamming Barack Obama for his name alone("When we are at war with Islamic terrorism, can Americans elect a man with not one, not two, but three Islamic names?").

This guy even has the word "Zealot" tattooed on his forearm. If you want to take him seriously go ahead(you have every right to do so). However, only three minutes of research during Dynamis gave me enough reason not to take him seriously.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-19 17:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

that goes along the lines of mccain can't run because he wasn't born in the US. He was born on a military base in the panama canal to military parents. i am interested to see how this will turn out.

i really don't think politics and religion should be mixed (at least not hardcore in any direction). reminds me of that lady on trading spouses that was so closed minded, a "jesus warrior" against "dark-sided" stuff.

opinions anyone?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-19 18:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There are extremists on every side lol...

I agree that politics and religion shouldn't mix but unfortunately religion is a huge factor for voters.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-10-19 18:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm tempted to shut this thread down, the free speech side of me wants to stay out of it. So I'm going to pick the latter.

However, please keep it civil, guys. If it goes too overboard into personal attacks I'm going to make the thread disappear.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2008-10-20 08:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Baelorn has the right idea on most of this. I think the whole purpose of a lot of ads are simply to plant a little doubt in your mind, and then they just kind of back off from there and leave it as "can you trust them blahblah?" message. Sites like snopes.com and factcheck.org are around for the very purpose of doing the research for you on rumors and lies.

By simply spending a little time you can find that rumors like Obama being a radical muslim terrorist (lol) or muslim at all are unfounded, and the pledge of allegiance/national anthem, flag lapel pin, and William Ayers connections can all be squashed pretty quickly. Campaigns know most people won't do the work of fact-checking, though, and as a result unless some popular news media outlet covers the hell out of something the majority will probably go on assuming the entire democratic party was either completely duped by a terrorist, or that we're all secretly terrorists. lol

On a related note, even if Obama was muslim, I don't see that being a valid reason to say he's unfit to be president. Sure would be a change for the nation, and I'm not foolish enough to think the majority of america would go for such a thing, but it still seems silly to even make that an issue. I just hate seeing that these tactics actually work on people, and then hear them say such horrible things on the news.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-20 11:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
On a related note, even if Obama was muslim, I don't see that being a valid reason to say he's unfit to be president. Sure would be a change for the nation, and I'm not foolish enough to think the majority of america would go for such a thing, but it still seems silly to even make that an issue.

I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. A Muslim has every right to run for the Presidency. The problem is certain groups have succeeded in making Muslim synonymous with terrorist in a lot of people's minds.

It's bad enough that people are shouting "Kill him" and "Terrorist" about Obama. I can't imagine what they would say or do if he was actually Muslim.
 Diabolos.Aurawnt
Server: Diabolos
user: Aurawnt
By Diabolos.Aurawnt 2008-10-20 12:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

There's always a chance that GWB will indict martial law in the country in November and cancle the election. Then we can have his wise leadership forever! Sounds like a win/win to me. ;p
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-20 13:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Aurawnt said:
There's always a chance that GWB will indict martial law in the country in November and cancle the election. Then we can have his wise leadership forever! Sounds like a win/win to me. ;p

Time to flee the country o.O
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 13:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly i don't think that the president should let his religious beliefs come into the way the country is run. so really it shouldn't matter if the president is muslim, buddhist, jewish, wiccan, pagan, or even atheist (please don't flame me im not putting all the religions in there). BUT unfortunately, that isn't the way it is. here is some census data on the religious beliefs of 207,980,000 adults in the 50 states: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s0074.pdf it is from 2001 comparing to 1990 but it gives you a picture of how things are religiously.

martial law...shhhh don't say that. a lot of military friends i talk to say that too. that would be terrible and the country would definitely suffer. AND YES IT CAN HAPPEN. i think the president has entirely too much power if used to his own benefit.

Jaerik: Thanks for not closing the thread. although there may be some radical people talking in it the majority of us aren't.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 13:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

lol canada is sounding better and better. it's gotta be one of the provinces that doesn't speak french though....i'm terrible with languages. sign language ftw!
 Ifrit.Cright
Server: Ifrit
user: Crighton
By Ifrit.Cright 2008-10-20 14:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You know Obama has decided that the Oil Companies makes too much money and should have a Winfall tax, what if he decides SE makes too much money? Bye bye FFXI
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 14:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

are you saying you think the oil companies DON'T make too much money?
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2008-10-20 14:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Who are we to determine how much money a person or company is allowed to make?
If I were to have a Winfall and win the Powerball Lottery for 40 million dollars did I just make too much, is my money going to taken from me?
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2008-10-20 14:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty *** sad the most active thread on the forum right now is about this stupid ***.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 14:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, if you won the lottery for 40M you would get a lot of it taken out for taxes. the oil companies make so much money that another tax wouldn't kill their profits at all. think about it, it's not like the country doesn't DEPEND on oil.

yeah the most active thread is about "this stupid ***" now go away so we can continue, unless you want to do more than comment on how stupid it is.
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2008-10-20 14:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
yes, if you won the lottery for 40M you would get a lot of it taken out for taxes. the oil companies make so much money that another tax wouldn't kill their profits at all. think about it, it's not like the country doesn't DEPEND on oil.

yeah the most active thread is about "this stupid ***" now go away so we can continue, unless you want to do more than comment on how stupid it is.

If you tax the Oil Companies more do you really think they are going to pay it, all they are going to do is pass it on to you, the consumer. They will raise the price to cover the new tax. Now who gets shafted?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-20 14:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cright said:
If you tax the Oil Companies more do you really think they are going to pay it, all they are going to do is pass it on to you, the consumer. They will raise the price to cover the new tax. Now who gets shafted?

Do you have any idea how large the profit margin on oil is right now? I'm going to say you don't. Also the oil cartels have falsely declared an oil shortage three times in the past year(they're already shafting the consumer). Their record profits are not being passed on to the consumer either(lower gas prices). Oh noes the poor oil companies!
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 14:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

that is why we need someone who will enforce the laws made not let their buddies off and pardon people before they even get what is coming to them. we also need to start investing in alternative energy, oil isn't gonna be there forever.

there is no responsibility in politics anymore. there needs to be some accountability, no matter who is elected.
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-10-20 14:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad to see some intelligent conversation here, and also upset by the intolerance.

I for one, consider myself blessed to live in a country with a healthy democracy. Both major parties, Democrats and Republicans, have led us through difficult times in our history. Both have also had some rather questionable policies which have impeded our progress at least temporarily. Policies and voting patterns between the parties have ebbed and flowed over the years. (Did you realize Texas and New York voted for the same president in every election save one from 1928 to 1984?) On the balance, I think our multi-party system is what has allowed us to surpass other countries such as Russia and China which have no choice.

Anyone who believes that one party is completely right and the other party completely wrong is doing themselves and their country a disservice. There are a lot of serious issues our country faces today, and partisan bickering won't help us solve any of them. We need to treat good ideas as good ideas irrespective of the party affiliation of the person that came up with them. Where the parties can't agree, we need to come up with compromises rather than pounding our opponents into submission. When looking for compromises, we should not let the best be the enemy of the good.

It is my opinion that in this election, our final three choices were the best three options available to us. I am a bit upset that both candidates seem to have bowed to populism and mudslinging more than I expected, but I still have a generally favourable opinion of both. In this election, I finally get to vote FOR a president rather than AGAINST another candidate.

Some fact checks:

Barack Obama plans to add 100,000 troops to our army and marines:
http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12321671

The president does NOT have the power to appoint supreme court justices or ambassadors. The president can only nominate them. The Congress must then approve the choice. If you are among the approximately 75% of Americans (http://www.gallup.com/poll/111280/Bush-Approval-Rating-Doldrums-Continue.aspx) who believe Bush has done a horrible job as president, you should remember that Bush spent six years with a submissive, rubber-stamp Congress that refused to uphold it's constitutional role as a balance to the executive branch.

I'm Claquesous, and I approve this message.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2008-10-20 14:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Vote for Pedro! d(^.^)b
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2008-10-20 15:00:52
 Delete | Link | Quote | Reply

I understand that the election is in itself a hugely contreversial topic but.. wasn't the topic of the thread supposed to be how it would impact FFXI?

I personally don't care about politics. I'm not registered to vote, I won't vote, and I don't care who wins.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-10-20 15:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i actually liked ron paul's ideas. at least he got some of the ideas out there for people who didn't realize them.

i like some of obama's ideas,his passion, and his way of dealing with political donations. however i think that a lot of people won't vote for him because he is colored. i felt the same way about clinton and her being a woman. i'm not saying that i wouldnt vote based on gender/race, but there are a lot of racist/genderist people that vote.

i do like the experience that mccain has, but i really disapprove of their recent campaign tactics.

i think we already agreed in majority that the presidential election wont impact FFXI.
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2008-10-20 15:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Cright said:

Do you have any idea how large the profit margin on oil is right now?

Right now the Oil Companies are being taxed 14% by the goverenment, the Oil Company themselves only make 4%.