A Time For Change In My Life. Need Some Opinions Or Thoughts Please! [Navy]

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 16 17 18
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-22 06:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah crap i forgot to have the recruiter copy my asvab scoring.

Amazingly by the way i received:

NUC: 220
EL: 216

I expected a high score for electronics but nuclear? wtf? lol. The rest of them were about 150~ except mechanics i got a 118 which is fine because i suck on cars/motors.
 Pandemonium.Melaise
Server: Pandemonium
user: Melly
By Pandemonium.Melaise 2010-01-22 07:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Goodluck! I was sworn into the Army National Guard in October and am leaving for Basic Training this Tuesday. MEPS was an interesting day to say the least - but the feeling I got after I walked out after being sworn in was awesome. You'll feel like a million bucks. Everyone that was enlisting along with me regardless of their branch were very friendly. I was in a semi-similar situation before I enlisted. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and it was so difficult finding a job. Correction. A GOOD job. FFXI wasn't a hobby anymore, it had become a way of life. And I resented it for becoming that. I definitely needed a change.

A year ago I wanted to enlist in the Air Force (my cousin just graduated the USAF SERE boot camp and got me initally interested in the military) but ended up with the Army - my best friend is retired military and hooked me up with a great recruiter and well, here I am. It's gonna be hard to leave home for so long - 7 months O.O I get to do AIT right after boot camp x.x But I couldn't be happier with my decision. I know i'll persevere regardless of the obstacles because I have heart. And it sounds like you do as well, along with a good head on your shoulders. You already know that boot camp is mostly one big mindgame designed for you to SUCCEED - that is if you really want to. You're already way ahead of the game. You'll do great ^^
 Phoenix.Ranie
Server: Phoenix
user: Ranie
By Phoenix.Ranie 2010-01-22 08:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to go through and read all 5 pages of replies, so I hope that this thread is still relevant...

I signed up for the Navy in '07 before graduating high school, and left for boot camp in July '08 right after graduating.

The college hours will almost defiantly get you E-3, that's what a lot of people do. You can also talk to your recruiter about getting a payment towards your student loans, if you have any, instead of an enlistment bonus.

The wait for ANY branch of the US military is insanely long right now due to the bumb economy. All branches have upped their requirements for ASVAB from 30's to 50's minimum. And not to discourage you, the last that I heard is there is about a 12 month wait to go to boot camp for the Navy.

Military pay isn't the best. The only super-wonderful thing about it is that it is always guaranteed. At one point I was making roughly $2.37 an hour in the Navy. This job is 24/7, don't let that thought pass you by. (Side note for pay: a family of 3 with up to E-5 pay is still below the poverty line)

If you ever think you might want to marry your fiance in the next 4 years... do it before boot camp. The extra money is worth it, and many people wish that they do that. I got married about a year after boot camp. And that way they pay to move her with you instead of you paying to move her to you.

You do get "free" health insurance and get to see guys that might have only made a 32 on the ASVAB to stick you with needles... but it's still nice. If you don't have your wisdom teeth out, they take those from you ^^b Got mine out in boot camp, you get to be awake for the whole thing!

The military discounts at random places are nice. Start a new cell-phone contract after enlisting.

Assuming you get married sometime: Base housing is sort of sucky. The house we have is a modified town-style-house that was built in the 60's. The company doesn't like to fix things unless you harass them quite a bit, but it eventually gets done. As of right now, all utilities are included; but there are rumors that soon the utilities will be separate in some areas.

Assuming you stay single: Barracks life. You most likely will have 3-5ish room mates for awhile. Don't bring anything too valuable with you until you graduate to less-shared spaces. And don't keep any illegal items...

I signed to be a Nuclear Mechanic. BIG MISTAKE. Now I'm just going to be a normal mechanic <3 Almost 2 years of school wasted, but I got MM3 out of it, and they can't take that away. Make sure you do a lot of studies into the jobs that you might think you want. Don't let any bonuses sway your decision. I was supposed to get $16,000 upon completion of 2 year schooling. I don't get that now, and I don't get a new one. Look into every single job, don't get tunnel visioned onto just a few.

Boot Camp is a piece of cake, it's all a big mental game. Even if you've never worked out a day in your life, as long as you come close to weight standards, you will make it.

I don't regret joining, but I can't wait to get out in 2012. Hope this helps a bit :) PM me if you have any other random questions and I'll see if I can answer them

Good luck!

-Ranie <3
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-22 08:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the responses again, yeah my fiance and I are thinking about getting papers signed to help make things easier on us plus a bit of extra money.

We aren't doing it just because of that though. Our original wedding date next year will be interrupted by this anyways.

And yeah it's alright if i have to wait more than 2 months like i wanted but i know it depends heavily on your asvab and job availability.

I scored a 69 on asvab with high line scores in Nuclear and Electronics btw. SO hopefully it will qualify me for something interesting i want with some demand with maybe less wait time.

The dental thing is going to be horrible. I have a problem with a gag reflex. Ever try to get a package open with your teeth? When i actually rip the plastic and i feel the torn piece in my mouth i start to get really choked up and panic/cough.

Every past dental exam has ended with the dentist getting aggervated/frustrated because i don't handle tools/foreign things in my mouth without choking. I hope they at least gas me to make me out of it in terms of thinking or we might have a huge problem lol. I do need 3 of my wisdom out sadly.

I think I'll be ok in boot camp as long as i stay mentally focused on the task at hand.

Time will tell.

Also

I wanted to thank the forum members for keeping this thread on topic and not putting HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE comments or derailing into some SAM gear discussion. This is a pretty serious thing to me and everyone else that has been in the same situation of curiosity.
 Phoenix.Ranie
user: Ranie
By Phoenix.Ranie 2010-01-22 09:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much only the higher-tier jobs; Nuke, Seal, Linguist, etc. go in a timely manner. Time of year plays a factor too. You get more money if you go during the winter as opposed to the warmer months as far as boot camp goes... but trust me, you don't want to be in Illinois right now.

And if you were already planning on getting married, I encourage you to do it before you leave :) Have a little ceremony now, and go for the big party with some of you bonus!

I won't lie... boot camp dentists are awful. No sleeping, no gas... just the evil shots that don't work. They only do what is really needed in boot camp though, and put you on a schedule for anything else that spans over a year or so. The A-school dentists are better because they have more time and less people to deal with. So they will get you fixed up
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [210 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-20 16:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm sorry to necrobump this but i believe the day of reckoning is upon me.

So much has apparently happened since i started this whole thing... and i still can't believe how on topic it stayed.

Anyways.

I enlisted in early February and received the job Air Traffic Control... i go in as an E-2 with advancement to E-3 guaranteed as i graduate A-school.

I got married April 23rd 2010 and made the change on my paperwork ect.

TOMORROW.... 8/21/2010 i hop a flight with my wife for our honeymoon it took us awhile to afford (Cruise to the Bahamas).

Sadly i've already deactivated my characters/mules with the exception of 1 for my wife Taylanichi to use as power leveler ect.... I'll eventually get around to posting a personal youtube video to everyone in this community next weekend when we get back.

I've already made appropriate changes to my blog/site at http://ffxi.clinpachi.com which some of you might find hilarious for those with volume for music/whatnot.

You can read about my entire experience pre-boot camp including the point up to where i joined+after including pictures and thoughts at http://www.clinpachi.com (same as blog site sans the ffxi(dot) part.

Thanks for all of the memories and conversation had around the forums... whether i liked you or didn't like you matters not just know in either case it was all in good fun.

(Trollin spence on the flash mouse game "Transformice" is my favorite memory btw)

Again i'll post 1 more video next weekend to everyone at a later point (Watch deathcue from cerberus post another death thread over THAT too)...

Thanks guys... and goodluck with all you do.
-"Clinpachi"

[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-20 16:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I still haven't saved up 500 cheese >.<

Good luck ~
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-20 16:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
I still haven't saved up 500 cheese >.<

Good luck ~
LOL and appreciate it ^^/ was all in good fun.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 16:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Team Samurai will miss you. Best of luck in all endeaveurs.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 16:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

awwman

/salute

HOPE TO SEE YOU AROUND WITH KIDS
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 16:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
awwman

/salute

you hate the military remember
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-20 16:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

My entire family is in the military

/salute

Guard the sky's boy O.O!
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 16:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Hate is such a strong word...

Personal I just hated being in and hated anyone I liked being in unless they happened to be getting those rare good deals.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 16:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Personal I just hated being in and hated anyone I liked being in unless they happened to be getting those rare good deals.

i had some of the worst times of my life and some of the best times of my life

i guess it's like a lot of other things in the world, it's different wherever you go

still, though i hate a lot of the values the military promotes, i do think doing one term and getting the post 9/11 gi bill is an awesome deal, so long as you take advantage of it

so is full retirement actually, if you want to stick around for that long
By chichi 2010-08-20 16:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Obvious bad move; Nobody is hiring in my area for anything that matters. And at 25 i refuse to work at mcdonalds or anythign beneath me (Don't misunderstand i respect the people who do those jobs).

after you said that I stopped reading and not taking you seriously
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 16:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

chichi said:
Obvious bad move; Nobody is hiring in my area for anything that matters. And at 25 i refuse to work at mcdonalds or anythign beneath me (Don't misunderstand i respect the people who do those jobs).

after you said that I stopped reading and not taking you seriously

clin's a pretty cool guy as far as i can tell

but i'll agree that was a bad choice of words
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 16:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
awwman

/salute

I don't hate the people in it =)
doesn't take anyone with half a brain to realize it.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 16:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

i guess it's like a lot of other things in the world, it's different wherever you go

still, though i hate a lot of the values the military promotes, i do think doing one term and getting the post 9/11 gi bill is an awesome deal, so long as you take advantage of it

did chu kill people?
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-20 17:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Clin! I appreciate the advice you've given me in this forum, so I'll give you a lil boot camp advice.

First off, congratulations on both your marriage and enlisting. They are both major steps to a happier life (usually... lol). In your basic training try to keep your head down man. When I was in basic training, we had a soldier whom the drill sergeants didn't even know was in the class until a week before graduation. He did his job right lol. Blend in with the scenery and do as instructed and you'll do just fine. You gave out advice to me on Samurai and such pretty diligently and that means you put a lot of effort into this game for fun, and that shows good determination. Just apply it to your next step in life and I'm sure you'll do just fine mate. And you picked a nice job. It transitions well into civilian life, if you find you're not a "lifer" lol.

I wish you all of the best mate. And from a Disabled Veteran to a newly sworn in soldier /salute \^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 17:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Hate is such a strong word... Personal I just hated being in and hated anyone I liked being in unless they happened to be getting those rare good deals.

i guess it's like a lot of other things in the world, it's different wherever you go still, though i hate a lot of the values the military promotes,

i do think doing one term and getting the post 9/11 gi bill is an awesome deal, so long as you take advantage of it so is full retirement actually, if you want to stick around for that long
Yeah pretty much this. There were fun times but it kills your life and time with friends/family alot usually.

But yeah I really need to get on using that G.I. Bill. Hell even without it the experience and training often make it worth it for 1 term
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-20 17:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I never used my GI Bill (dumb dumb move..though now I'm a chef so that doesn't matter lol). But what people are somewhat overlooking, is the fact that ex-military personnel are highly regarded in most any job field due to the dedication and commitment it takes to be a soldier. Even if your particular military job (which again, you picked a good one Clin) doesn't translate well to "the civilian world" you are still highly sought after for jobs...Always a good thing in this economy/age. Again, best of luck to ya mate ^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 17:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I actually had a friend hurt his foot so he was disqualified from submarines... so instead of getting out he crossrated to something taht would be rather useful in the civilian world just so he could get a good easy job when he got out right after that re-enlistment he had to do to get it
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 17:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

did chu kill people?

i don't know

i emptied most of a magazine at a muzzle flash at night, and it stopped flashing

that could be due to any number of factors, death being one possibility
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 17:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
awwman

/salute

I don't hate the people in it =)
doesn't take anyone with half a brain to realize it.

Phoenix.Darki said:
lol why do all militaries brag theyre on the military overall? its so lame. Your basicly a dog of the goverment. Don't brag, you arent good enough to get a decent job so you go to the military because you have nothing better going on lol and you just /raged at trollz. HOW LAME :D

Phoenix.Darki said:

The military is ***, more war and hatred, more families separated, blahblahblah.

Don't pull your *** social rank on us, we dont give a *** your a dog of the goverment. Your as human, you only sold yourself to the devil.
Phoenix.Darki said:

btw, those firemen, and policemen dont usually go around saying I'M A FIREMAN IM a policeman, blahblahblah. I was stating that being a military and pulling out your social rank is pretty lame. So yeah, dogs of the goverment, why brag? some of you are corrupt and full of ***.
Phoenix.Darki said:
agh long story, dont want to go through it. And being a military, serving your country? more like serving an *** sitting on a chair giving orders to go kill other people, thats hypocrit. You serve your country taking the head of someone else. Really, hypocrit.
[+]
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 17:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
awwman /salute HOPE TO SEE YOU AROUND WITH KIDS
I don't hate the people in it =) doesn't take anyone with half a brain to realize it.
Phoenix.Darki said:
lol why do all militaries brag theyre on the military overall? its so lame. Your basicly a dog of the goverment. Don't brag, you arent good enough to get a decent job so you go to the military because you have nothing better going on lol and you just /raged at trollz. HOW LAME :D
Phoenix.Darki said:
The military is ***, more war and hatred, more families separated, blahblahblah. Don't pull your *** social rank on us, we dont give a *** your a dog of the goverment. Your as human, you only sold yourself to the devil.
Phoenix.Darki said:
btw, those firemen, and policemen dont usually go around saying I'M A FIREMAN IM a policeman, blahblahblah. I was stating that being a military and pulling out your social rank is pretty lame. So yeah, dogs of the goverment, why brag? some of you are corrupt and full of ***.

Not sure how old this is or if it is out of context, but the person making those statements comes off as rather ignorant. And yes, I am trying to be nice here.

*Unrelated Note*
Yesterday was the 198th anniversary of USS Constitution vs. HMS Guerriere. Quite probably, it was the most important battle ever fought by the US Navy this side of Midway.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 17:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

ok so this implyes i hate everyone from the military?
great you don't even have half a brain to think for yourself.

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

did chu kill people?

i don't know

i emptied most of a magazine at a muzzle flash at night, and it stopped flashing

that could be due to any number of factors, death being one possibility

how do does it make you feel?

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 18:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:
Not sure how old this is or if it is out of context

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/9892/goodbye/

judge for yourself