Help Me Pick A Job!!!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Help me pick a job!!!
Help me pick a job!!!
First Page 2
 Asura.Kimiyo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Kimikacat
By Asura.Kimiyo 2010-01-06 07:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2010-01-06 07:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam. It's a very fun job and it is very useful in many situations.
That's my opinion, but I would suggest you level the job that you find to be the most fun. If PUP is fun for you, then level that. It will take a bit longer to get to 75 then the other three, but if you have fun playing it you shouldn't mind that much.
Having fun is the most important thing. Seeing as how you are RDM and BLM you prolly won't get a chance to ever go on SAM to events. I know I don't (75rdm)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-06 07:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually rng gets invites pretty damn fast and so far all the sams lvling up I've been pting with have been lucky to be doing 1/5 my ws dmg lol. Um maybe sorta depends on what gears you can get endgame/already have.

As far as events go don't be suprised if something weird happens. I have blm rdm blu and thf. I've had to be all of them for the same events before depending on what else we had available lol.
 Asura.Kimiyo
By Asura.Kimiyo 2010-01-06 07:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Amnesia
Server: Hades
user: Wishkah
By Hades.Amnesia 2010-01-06 07:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I leveled RDM and BLM first then I went for something different so I chose SAM for the same reasons as you and well.. I haven't looked back since and I would even consider it my main job now.
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2010-01-06 07:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranger - Great job, has a lot of niche uses. Can deal huge damage and stay out of range of AoE's etc. Expensive to gear some of the better pieces (an Osode and E.bow alone will set you back 7 mill on Midgard unless you can get them through your LS). Expensive job to use, which whilst you said not to factor in, is something you really need to take in to account. If you do an ISNM and are asked to come DD (which for you, if you levelled it, would be your only choice) and a Khroma doesn't drop, you will barely make a profit for the entire run, or perhaps even a loss if your drops are really bad. Easier to obtain gear for than other DD jobs as it isn't as heavily dependant upon R/E pieces, you can AH / Assault / quest a lot of your gear.

Samurai - An amazing DD job, great against all levels of mob, and very flexible too. Can be used to Meditate > WS for kited mobs, sub THF to plant hate on tanks, and chuck out huge numbers in zerg situations. Things like Hagun and Osode will still cost you a lot of money, but not as much as Ranger will. However its gear is much more heavily dependant upon a few R/E pieces like Byakko Pants to be even semi-decent, and these usually have a queue. Unless these sort of pieces are available to you through your LS, this isn't necessarily a good choice. Always popular in a merit party and can swap out to polearms for birds (GO GO Penta spam!).

Puppetmaster - Has some amazing niche uses like hateless nuking, but is unfortunately way too limited in its roles end-game, and on that basis, this is not a job for you if you want one which is "highly usable in endgame".

Corsair - Has a lot of uses end-game, but it still a support role and is played as such. You will never be short of a merit party with it, and has the fun side of being able to chuck out a ranged WS every now and then. Based on the fact you already have two mage jobs, this is only a half-step away from the mage role (in most of the circumstances you will be using it end-game) and you may find it boring. There are a million COR's who will now scream they can DD, but it will never be a solid DD in the way a WAR / SAM / MNK / DRK will.

In summary, if you are able to obtain money easier than R/E items, go for RNG. If you have reasonably easy access to the important R/E pieces choose SAM. It doesn't matter what anyone tells you, spamming WS's is good fun. If you want to be "highly usable" end-game, forget PUP. And if you don't want to go full DD, want something quick to level, or like to merit, go COR.

If it were me, I would pick SAM. It meets all of the criteria you have asked for, but then I may be biased as I'm already 75 SAM...
[+]
 Fairy.Usua
Server: Fairy
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-01-06 08:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Rng is an awesome job, but it can be expensive if you don't make your own bolts and arrows.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-06 08:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I like the idea of leveling RNG. I may do it if I get my current goals out of the way eith enough time prior to FFXIV.

SAM would be nice for your limited playtime. You wouldn't spend too much time LFP. RNG may get decent invites as well, but I don't think anything besides BRD/COR in the upper levels beats SAM.

Edit: I forgot for a moment that you included PUP in your list. I know several people that enjoy it and have it at 75. I've considered leveling it myself at a couple points as well. PT invites will be nearly non-existant, but it's supposed to be decently fun to solo on.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-06 08:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Try shooting silver bullets... tping in multihit weapons helps to cut the cost though.

Though what really is eating my money at a constant rate is birds keep eating my food. Well and the silver bullets
 Fairy.Usua
Server: Fairy
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-01-06 08:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Try shooting silver bullets... tping in multihit weapons helps to cut the cost though.

Though what really is eating my money at a constant rate is birds keep eating my food. Well and the silver bullets
I never eat food at birds. It's just a waste of time and money.
 Carbuncle.Blizzit
Server: Carbuncle
user: Blizzit
By Carbuncle.Blizzit 2010-01-06 08:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok this is just my thought.

1. What does your link shell do and how will your job fit in?
2. Does your link shell have an overabundance of your primary jobs?
3. How often will you get to play your new job at the lack of loss of skill from playing multiple roles "Yes this from a guy who has 15 75 jobs"
4. What job will make you happy to play, not all jobs are fun.

Ranger... Is a ton of fun to play and 36-75 is super fast. You will most likely use this job at 10 min jailer of love ranger burns. odin chambers Toa king fights. Dark Ixion. all other hnms you already have more suited jobs leveled. You will learn a new holding tec of shadowbind and Hate control, and pulling. If you already merited enimity decrease you are 1 step ahead of the game.

Sam... Great job with tons of new stuff to learn downside is at end game you need a ton of rare/ex gear along with so decently high cost gear. sam is by far the most powerful up close and personal dd in the game with a wide variety of play style. learning how to single tank fafnir Nidhog. Be a controlling element to dump hate on tanks at tiamat. and being a skill chain guru. which should make you a better blm or rdm to magic burst. The job is useful on almost every hnm in the game a good salvage job, outstanding einharjar job, does well in sky and sea. great job for nyzul. Imo nothing gets my rocks off more than busting out 9-10 weaponskills in under 2 min.

pup... uhhh gimped beastmaster but the job is unique in its own way if you have fun lvling it kudos to you. on goofing around on hnms i have seen whm pup slow and para cerb and khim more than a rdm but dont count on your pup to live for long periods. the job does have some nice solo aspects to it. it has little to no use in dynamis. but hey if the job floats your boat then go for it.

COR... Uber fast to lvl can dd decent with the proper build. Takes a lot of time and effort to be a real good cor. Puts you into another support role so you will get to learn some more support ends. Everyone loves a good cor. You will gain a new respect for Brds and Cors in your party. This job offers alot of nifty tricks to execute on a dime. End result Cor fits in at any end game situation almost and would be a great assist to your linkshell

So in summary. If I had to cast my vote go Sam. I think you might have the most fun and gain the most to improve your play style off of.
By Sierran 2010-01-06 08:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Knight ftw. Melle Mage Job
 Carbuncle.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Carbuncle
user: dameshi
By Carbuncle.Dameshi 2010-01-06 08:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

My vote goes to COR.

Although I think you should try BLU out, it's a lot of fun :)
 Asura.Kimiyo
By Asura.Kimiyo 2010-01-06 18:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-01-06 18:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

pup
 Gilgamesh.Andras
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-01-06 18:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP, my brother started lvling pup and he really enjoys it, it looks fun to me but i honestly don't have the gil to get the cool attachments, but from what i've seen and what he's said pup is an amazing job, that and Pup is more useful in partys than people think.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-06 18:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Usua said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

I never eat food at birds. It's just a waste of time and money.
Well it's annoying to wiff alot and I hate waiting for 200% tp like most the rngs I pt with. *** I ws 3-4times more than most of them lol. But I try to finish the mob off it's just sometimes I miscalculate
 Asura.Poupee
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-01-06 18:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP PUP PUP PUP PUP.
That counts as 8 votes cuz its me.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-06 18:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Poupee said:
PUP PUP PUP PUP PUP.
That counts as 8 cotes cz its me.

Wut?
 Asura.Poupee
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-01-06 18:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Asura.Poupee said:
PUP PUP PUP PUP PUP. That counts as 8 cotes cz its me.
Wut?
what?
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2010-01-06 18:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I vote for PuP actually, I don't have 15 or 20 lvl 75's no - What I do have is a 75 SAM and a 75 RNG and the ability to read what the OP said at the top:
Asura.Kimiyo said:
I currently have RDM and BLM 75, so it doesn't need to be a job thats highly usable in endgame.

If you're looking for something different and fun, (and we all know we like to see others turn their heads) I'd say PuP
most people don't have the patients to even consider lvling it.

PS. Do to the time, effort, and skill required to even level it they always have a place in a party I create when I see them seeking from the dunes to merits.

GL either way ~ Mari
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2010-01-06 18:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

COR, you really don't pull with COR.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-01-06 18:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say Pup to be unique and stuff, or Brd to speed to 75

Cor can get very pricey, especially if you get stuck in bad parties, but it is a fun job if you spend the time and gil on it (not as spendy as rng thou) and youll end up playing support most of the time.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-06 18:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Tacobell cashier.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-01-06 18:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If gil isn't an issue, RNG but gear it good or don't do it. Very gear dependant job, V/E Bow is a MUST have, no exceptions. Selene's is unpredictable and just an excuse for people too lazy to camp Eastern Shadow or farm Vali's. If getting that would be an issue than I'd say COR, same price for bullets but most of the great gear is fairly easy to get.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-06 18:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Mabrook said:
Asura.Poupee said:
PUP PUP PUP PUP PUP.
That counts as 8 votes cuz its me.
I'm sorry but no1 wants to be a pedo 8 times, it's just not right...
Psh if you've done it once might as well do it 8 times
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2010-01-06 18:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

COR isn't exactly a pulling job. Guns have a very high delay which makes COR not that desirable for pulling. There's one low delay gun, but the damage is abysmal. Remember that supporting is only 1/2 of what COR does, the other half is very competent DD, especially against birds.

Of course there's a lot of debate on COR's role, but I like to play a job to its strengths, so if someone wants me to backup heal I say take a Dancer's Roll or get a BRD.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-01-06 18:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Whm. There is no other job.
First Page 2