RDM Nuking
 Hades.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Hades.Tidis 2009-12-24 08:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So i'm RDM69 and I finally got the T3 nukes i'd been too lazy to get, went out to Wajaom Woodlands hoping to destroy some Lesser Colibri.

So I go out RDM/BLM and cast Aero III, what do I get? 17 dmg, so i'm confused but I cast Sleep II, get my distance again and try another Aero III, hits for 157...better I guess. Then my third and final attempt, I sleep it again and hit off another Aero III...29 dmg...so I sleep it and zone back to WG.

So, I understand I will never hope to nuke in the same league as BLM or SCH but I ask, are our nukes that poor or is it just me?
 Unicorn.Rufio
Server: Unicorn
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2009-12-24 08:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

RDMs do more then enfeeble and refresh?

Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-24 08:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

try somthin other than wind lol.. they are wind based guy
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2009-12-24 08:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah just like thieves use Legionaire's Mittens at 75
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-12-24 08:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
try somthin other than wind lol.. they are wind based guy

Exactly ^ .Colibri are wind bassed, i'd avoid using Aero on them it will get resisted a lot more, try Blizzard instead. Is your elemental skill capped? If it is, try to stack more INT.
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2009-12-24 08:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope i'm not being trolled lol

Colibri are Wind based, so wind nukes will always be resisted. Honestly 100+ is impressive lol. Go out and try ice, that's what they are weak to.

Also you're a RDM, you're going to have to find the balance of INT vs. Skill that works with your race.
 Hades.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-24 08:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so. Colibris are RDMs, so they have Magic defence bonus +10%.
I think aero does less dmg to them too, as they'r wind based..
And really, dont expect to do awsome dmg, I can pull off 800s on puddings, I'm lucky if I do 700 on normal mobs, usually between 500-600.
Focus on eleskill\macc and INT for RDM nukes, it's better not to get resisted every damn time than getting decent spikes now and then.
 Carbuncle.Krionin
Server: Carbuncle
user: Krionin1
By Carbuncle.Krionin 2009-12-24 08:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

First off colibri are magic resistant (especially wind since they are wind based), second is your elemental magic skill capped? That could lead to [more] resists if it isnt, also a Moldy earring would be benefitial (if you didnt have it) aswell as int rings,well an int set up and an elemental torque. In a way you would have to gear like a blm for nukes to be decent.
 Unicorn.Rufio
Server: Unicorn
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2009-12-24 08:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Didgist said:

haha good catch on that one, I just hate running around town with dusk gear on. :/
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-24 08:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Rufio said:
Fenrir.Didgist said:

haha good catch on that one, I just hate running around town with dusk gear on. :/

hate when ppl comment on ffxiah last viewed gear.. my thf idle macro used to just be skadi feet/heca hands when i had no homam hands or feet. id sometimes have haste and acc stuff with wtf heca hands and skadi feet.. if you look at mine now its like a couple rings and a cape >.> damn you ffxiah gear viewer and ppl who comment based on it >.>
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-12-24 09:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Unicorn.Rufio said:
Fenrir.Didgist said:
hate when ppl comment on ffxiah last viewed gear.. my thf idle macro used to just be skadi feet/heca hands when i had no homam hands or feet. id sometimes have haste and acc stuff with wtf heca hands and skadi feet.. if you look at mine now its like a couple rings and a cape >.> damn you ffxiah gear viewer and ppl who comment based on it >.>

Those people are just dummies.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 09:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yes. I had someone say that any opinion I had on anything was moot cause my lause job combo was 75blm/dnc... forget the fact that I was in full fishing gear including a Ebisu's rod. No clearly I was pting like that
 Hades.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Hades.Tidis 2009-12-24 10:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ah that's my mistake, I didn't check ffxiclopedia before I went and decided to try that out, I went and assumed colibri were weak to wind like bats are just because they both fly, stupid me!

Maybe i'll try again when I have Blizzard III, see if it works out better
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-12-24 10:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol yes. I had someone say that any opinion I had on anything was moot cause my lause job combo was 75blm/dnc... forget the fact that I was in full fishing gear including a Ebisu's rod. No clearly I was pting like that

You pt like that because you like showing off your blm skills.

BLM in full fishing gear outparses all DD's. XD

/sarcasm

@poster above me.

I had frequent resists lvling blm on birds. I was decently geared, but some nukes hit harder than blizzard at times. Most I recommended doing is the elemental enfeebs and tell the party to SC if possible to make my nuking more practical.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 10:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I do wear my Novio while fishing...
 Hades.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Hades.Tidis 2010-01-14 21:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ha lvl 73 now and tried Blizzard III on the birds, did 400 so i'm feeling a bit better
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-14 22:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:

I get a lot of flac for wearing cobra (mage) hands and feet walking around. I don't have Homam yet and use Dusk, and it turns out that the +HP on Cobra hands/feet is the same as Dusk hands/feet so I maintain max HP.
 Alexander.Helder
Server: Alexander
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2010-01-15 21:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Tidis said:
Ha lvl 73 now and tried Blizzard III on the birds, did 400 so i'm feeling a bit better

one other thing no one mentioned, when fighting things that are id say T-VT and above solely stick to Blizzard 3 if it doesnt mess with elemental resists like status in dynamis. The ice staff has 10 elemental magic skill and 4 int (5 for aquilo's) and since RDM gets crap elemental magic skill that is a huuuuuuge deal.

if down the road you feel like you want to merit elemental magic skill you can't go wrong although enfeebling merits and wind/ice and spell merits should be your first priorities.

A RDM w/o full enfeebling merits just isn't the same. When your bread and butter is to enfeeble and you can't do that consistantly on harder mobs your kinda useless.