Micro-Transactions In FFXIV?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » News » Micro-Transactions in FFXIV?
Micro-Transactions in FFXIV?
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Kimiko
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kimiko
By Siren.Kimiko 2009-12-18 07:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

According to a recent article on Develop's website. SE president Yoichi Wada has hinted that micro-transactions of some kind will exist within FFXIV. The extent of these micro-transactions is as of yet not known, however Wada hints this is akin to the system already in place on FFXI (think the rewards from the mini-scenarios, nexus cape, mog satchel, etc...).

Personally I hope they don't take this too far and start diving into the realm of SE sanctioned real money trade.

http://www.ffxivblog.com/hints-of-micro-transactions-in-ffxiv/
[+]
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 07:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate that word.... "Micro-Transactions"

As far as I'm concerned the only things we should have to pay for on top of the monthly charge are optional player support things, like changing servers, names, race, appearance, etc.

Oh, and expansions of course.

EDIT: I suppose if they consider the add-ons like ACP "micro-transactions", that doesn't bother me too much, those were pretty fun and the work they put into them deserved some form of payment imo, plus I liked the rewards.
[+]
 Siren.Kimiko
VIP
user: Kimiko
By Siren.Kimiko 2009-12-18 07:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I just pray that's what their referring to.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-18 07:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I like pina coladas too, but the rain is wet.

Back on topic, I have no idea what to 'get' from that. There's too many possibilities.
[+]
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 07:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Wada said:
"We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game."

A lot of people huh? If those people make up more than 1% of FFXI's population, that is *** embarrassing. Who wants to pay for a single item with real cash?

Add-Ons like ACP didn't just give me a reward at the end of the story, it also gave me a short story to play through with my friends and it was something I enjoyed. Dumping cash for straight items or Gil though is a horrible *** idea. Honestly if the game goes in that direction, then my interest in it will have been completely destroyed.
 Ifrit.Maddi
Server: Ifrit
user: Maddi
By Ifrit.Maddi 2009-12-18 07:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well they could introduce mercenary npc´s, lol.

but seriously, if they introduce officially micro transactions, than its better something more senseful than "lolNexusCape"
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-12-18 07:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

if i remmember theres another online game like that arion orion somethign like that.

btw out of curiosity what does the purple bar/title stuff stand for?
 Leviathan.Veronika
Server: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Veronika 2009-12-18 08:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't bother me if they add in micro-transactions so long as the items meet a certain few conditions:

1) They're untradable
2) They do not enhance your stats at all
3) They're only for looks (Costume-type items you can wear, and things for your FF14 equivalent of a mog house.)
 Bahamut.Josseppi
Server: Bahamut
user: Josseppi
By Bahamut.Josseppi 2009-12-18 08:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as the game is for fun for us, its all about money making for them. With the decline in population in most worlds as people move on to other games, they are losing revenue. What better way for them to make up for that loss of profit then to allow players to spend 40 bucks on a few million gil. RMT happens anyways and they have to pay people to investigate it then terminate memberships of those commiting the acts. As much at that is nice for rule abiding players, its a double loss for them because they lose the revenue from the banned accounts and they shell out salaries to their employees. Since it happens anyways, why not make a profit on it while you can.

As much as I enjoy the challenge of earning items in the game, there are things like relic and mythic weapons that I know I'll never be able to earn playing. I simply don't have the time in my life to spend days gil making. Though I would never risk rmt now, if I could legitimately pay a few dollars to get excalibur, I would consider it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-18 08:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

$10 Kraken Club YES PLEASE.
[+]
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 08:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Josseppi said:
As much as the game is for fun for us, its all about money making for them. With the decline in population in most worlds as people move on to other games, they are losing revenue. What better way for them to make up for that loss of profit then to allow players to spend 40 bucks on a few million gil. RMT happens anyways and they have to pay people to investigate it then terminate memberships of those commiting the acts. As much at that is nice for rule abiding players, its a double loss for them because they lose the revenue from the banned accounts and they shell out salaries to their employees. Since it happens anyways, why not make a profit on it while you can.

As much as I enjoy the challenge of earning items in the game, there are things like relic and mythic weapons that I know I'll never be able to earn playing. I simply don't have the time in my life to spend days gil making. Though I would never risk rmt now, if I could legitimately pay a few dollars to get excalibur, I would consider it.

Something just occurred to me... Doesn't EVE Online or some current MMO allow players to purchase ISK (its currency) through official means? This actually doesn't sound like a bad idea since it would be a great way to try and eliminate RMT competition. Afterall, like Josseppi said, it's going to happen anyway.
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-12-18 08:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

EverQuest has 2 servers where you can buy and sell characters and gold.

Micro transactions wouldn't be too bad though depending on what it was they were offering. I don't want stuff that gives an advantage over other players just because they paid real money for them, it's totally unfair.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-12-18 08:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It could be similar to the way free MMOGs like Maple Story have an "Item Store" of some kind and you pay $$ for all kinds of stuff in the game.

This would be terrible and I don't think I could play a game like that, so hopefully it's not.
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2009-12-18 08:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

idc, as long as its items like in xi. Like tidal talisman, or a giant chocobo for your moghouse. As long as im not having to pay extra on top of the monthly fee to gear my job to its best.
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2009-12-18 09:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if people would pay to get an item to pop a HNM like nidhogg. Might be what they are hinting at to eliminate the current HNM mess with bots dominating servers. Atleast other people would have a chance at the rare item, even if they have to pay some cash for it.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-18 09:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Have fun on 14 guys!! I love how everything about it is already causing so much conflict!! Ill stick with 11
[+]
 Bahamut.Atrithk
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-12-18 09:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They probably won't sell HNM tier items, or storyline complete items. It would completely ruin the game's dynamic if they did that, and I KNOW they see it.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-18 09:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on the extent of micro-transactions, SE is a profit business after all and this could eliminate RMT also, so they're killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

RMT is a multi-billion dollar industry now? I'm sure as a business owner all that potential profit is too hard not to have.
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 09:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
It depends on the extent of micro-transactions, SE is a profit business after all and this could eliminate RMT also, so they're killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

RMT is a multi-billion dollar industry now? I'm sure as a business owner all that potential profit is too hard not to have.

Hey, as long as its done in a manner where I won't feel FORCED to trade in real money for virtual goods, I won't complain... too much.
Crossing the line is in what Bshizzle said. You have to pay real cash to obtain virtual goods from an Item Store, no other way of obtaining them.

Sylph.Sindri said:
Have fun on 14 guys!! I love how everything about it is already causing so much conflict!! Ill stick with 11

This is the only announcement thats bothered me about the game thus far. I could name a number of things in FF11 that currently bother me. Don't judge a game too harshly before you've even had a chance to try or at least observe it.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 09:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya know.... I don't really mind the micro-transactions / cash shop in MMO's. I play PWI which also has it (but is a F2P) and anything you buy in the cash shop can be traded for gold or other items as well. Plus, people with more money irl and less time to play can get the same level of enjoyment with buying something that can be farmed up without spending the hours and hours to farm it.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-18 09:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as the items can be earned in game as well, I wouldn't mind as much.

I will admit that I would've paid for the mog satchel even without the token being involved.
 Sylph.Linkk
Server: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2009-12-18 09:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

All SE is doing is trying to squeeze as much money out of a dying game as possible. That's it. They don't give a crap about the players just the bottom line like any other corporation. The sooner people except that the better lol
 Siren.Ashkente
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2009-12-18 09:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything, all this does is make me want to start a LS/guild/whatevertheyendupcallingthem, called "HardMode".

Simple rules:
1) If there is any form of RMT for improved stats, and you use it, you're booted.
2) If you're a PC player and you harp on about how everything's so much better with WindowerXIV, you're booted.
3) If you put together events that state 'we need at least 6blm's or this will take too long/have a chance of failure etc.' you're gone.
[+]
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 09:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ashkente said:
If anything, all this does is make me want to start a LS/guild/whatevertheyendupcallingthem, called "HardMode".

Simple rules:
1) If there is any form of RMT for improved stats, and you use it, you're booted.
2) If you're a PC player and you harp on about how everything's so much better with WindowerXIV, you're booted.
3) If you put together events that state 'we need at least 6blm's or this will take too long/have a chance of failure etc.' you're gone.

But but but... Windower IS so much better! I DO hope they've improved the interface to allow some customization though seriously, and a built in (pseudo)window mode.
[+]
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-12-18 09:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Erim said:
Bahamut.Josseppi said:

Something just occurred to me... Doesn't EVE Online or some current MMO allow players to purchase ISK (its currency) through official means? This actually doesn't sound like a bad idea since it would be a great way to try and eliminate RMT competition. Afterall, like Josseppi said, it's going to happen anyway.

no they dont let you buy ISK with real money, allthough there are "RMT's" all over that game, What they do, is let you trade ISK for Membership subscription, it's about 260 mill ISK for 1 free month of play =P
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-12-18 10:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

all i know is the subscription fee each month better be less than 12.95 USd else what's to stop me from enjoying a cheaper game?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-18 10:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nomadikhan said:
all i know is the subscription fee each month better be less than 12.95 USd else what's to stop me from enjoying a cheaper game?

I guess the fact that the cheaper game might be worse? Who's to say?

I do agree though, 12 or 13 USD is a good price and paying for additional characters was pretty *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Fairy.Winterlight
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-12-18 10:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

what if the game didn't have a subscription fee and we could do microtransactions?

I might actually buy stuff...
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-12-18 11:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:

Agreed.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-18 11:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nomadikhan said:
lol, if you want to play a cheaper game, go ahead. SE isn't going to stop you. :P
First Page 2 3