Request for Feedback - Relics
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-10-07 19:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So, relic weapons are becoming relatively common. I'm averaging a new request to register a relic weapon once every few hours now, on a daily basis. Our relic list has grown by over 1,500 entries.

Additionally, with the addition of the Achievement system and breakdown by linkshell, most of our relic requests no longer come from the actual relic holder in question. Rather, they come from linkshell leaders or friends, or second-hand information like "I saw so-and-so finally got their _____." These latter reports sometimes come in dumps of 10+ relics/characters at a time. Many relic registrations are for characters which are not even registered or verified with our site. And I am increasingly having to remove relic holders that gave fraudulent or faked information to get themselves added.

Having to manually add these relic weapons every couple of hours has gotten extremely tedious. The "Official Relic Thread" has already grown to 59 new relic reports just in the very brief time it's been up, and that's just the relics that haven't been added yet -- we're deleting them from the thread as we add them. While I'm still willing to do it, I would greatly like to find another solution.

What I am proposing is to deprecate the manual reporting system. Instead, use the POL Linkshell Community equipment scanner and history to automatically register relic weapons when they see someone that has it equipped. While this requires relic holders to register and verify with FFXIAH.com and POL LS Comm to be counted, I feel this is a fair trade-off, as the relic entry can't even reasonably be counted for player Achievement if they are not registered/scanned already.

Thoughts?
 Carbuncle.Tsuya
Premium
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Tsuya 2008-10-07 20:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda wondered why you guys didn't go with that method in the first place... I guess because there were so few relics to begin with and you wanted to get as many listed as possible... but as a non-relic holder with absolutely no weight behind my comment, I think it's a fine idea. ;)
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2008-10-07 20:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Works for me (another char that'll never have one).

Just leave the door open for people to still PM you that are in lolDav's situation where they have one they can't actually equip.

That equip history works incredibly well. And I think it stands to reason that if someone has a relic, they probably use it pretty often, so I would think it would show up in the equipment histories in a hurry, if it hasn't already been logged.
 Kujata.Josheb
Server: Kujata
user: Josheb
By Kujata.Josheb 2008-10-07 22:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I am one of many that has probably bombed you guys with emails and pm's. I think this would be a good idea and would take a bit of work off of you guys. I would think that once it has been equipped that sort of says it all. I am excited to have finally completed mine, took slightly less than a year.
 Pandemonium.Shinrai
Server: Pandemonium
user: Shinrai
By Pandemonium.Shinrai 2008-10-08 12:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is a good idea and would save you a lot of trouble. What are the odds that somebody's got Relic and the scanner will NEVER pick it up?

I'm also curious if you were going to add Mythics anytime soon (not that I think I've seen one yet). For that matter, I kinda think you should add Ebisu.
 Fenrir.Jackblck
Server: Fenrir
user: Jackblck
By Fenrir.Jackblck 2008-10-08 12:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not a bad idea to let LS Community do the work for you.

This would eliminate the players with relics they can't equip yet, but that really shouldn't be an issue overall.

If its the same system as the Linkshell finder, it should be good enough, with minor tweaks needed.
 Asura.Ghikque
Server: Asura
user: Ghikque
By Asura.Ghikque 2008-10-08 14:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shinrai said:
What are the odds that somebody's got Relic and the scanner will NEVER pick it up?

apparently pretty good in my case...

I dig the idea, just think that in cases such as mine where I am on the job that can equip the relic maybe 2 hours a day. Been waiting a while now since first requesting to be added (more-so for the LS e-peen as my LS is starting to rack up the relics and we'd like to get in on the top list ;).) Emailed and PMed several times to no avail.

anyways, is there a way to get the LS community to scan a specific gear set and then have this site scan to put it in history?

if other proof besides lolScreenshot (for purposes of Photoshop fakes...) are needed I can provide a video of receiving the relic. Hard as hell to fake that, so thinking that should be sufficient.

If needed: http://tinyurl.com/478oz8
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-11 16:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to stop taking relic reports from players about other players. There are simply too many -- dozens a day -- and many of them are duplicates. It has become prohibitively difficult to keep track of them all.

I will still honor self-reporting of relics from players who have one.