Forum » FFXI » General » Unsolved Mysteries of Vana'diel
Unsolved Mysteries of Vana'diel
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2024-10-27 22:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did the Antica come from that the Galka developed this whole civilization on the continent before being forced out?

Where did the Sandworm of the past dissappear to that it is not only never mentioned in the present, but also doesn't show up?

What happened to the Fae?

And the biggest for me, what were the original plan for Demisang Deleterious? Writing an entire system to randomize its armor can't have been an accident, so what was the actual intent there?
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-27 23:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kanryu said: »
Where did the Antica come from that the Galka developed this whole civilization on the continent before being forced out?

Where did the Sandworm of the past dissappear to that it is not only never mentioned in the present, but also doesn't show up?

What happened to the Fae?

And the biggest for me, what were the original plan for Demisang Deleterious? Writing an entire system to randomize its armor can't have been an accident, so what was the actual intent there?

This is just the best take I've got thinking about it really hard while I take a too much beef this week poo:

So all of the races on Vana'diel as far as we know are descended from the destruction of Paradise and Promathia. Further still, some of them were mutated by The Meltdown(the event that came at the destruction of the Crag of Vahzl perpetrated by The Kuluu). I assume this includes the Beastmen, even the Antica, because they all have humanoid shape (two legs, two arms, a head). While the Kuluu were explicitly mutated into Tonberries, there is no precise exposition about what The Meltdown did to other races.

So I think the Antica were a race of humanoids that were mutated into ant people, and that they burrowed deep into the sands being rather completely unknown by the rest of the world until the Galka dug too deeply, awakening them from self imposed stasis. Like how ant hills go dormant in winter, the Antica went dormant deep under Altepa until the aftermath of The Meltdown was over. The Galka digging too deeply was the clear call from the outside that let them know the surface was OK again.

Now obviously, that creates more questions, chief among them being, "If they survived The Meltdown's immediate effects, why burrow to avoid them further?"

Way simpler answer that doesn't try to capitalize on RoTZ lore is just, they were always there deep down, and didn't know about the surface at all until The Galka dug too deep. Or perhaps The Zilart had sealed them at some point in the past, and then the Galka dug too deep.

That's all I've got!

Re: Sandworm
We killed it, duh!

Re: Fae
Well, given Witchfire Glen's proximity to a Veridical Conflux that goes straight to The Walk of Echoes, and that the past is technically a Vana'diel Prime of sorts, and then given their presence in Abyssea, it could be that The Fae are from somewhere else and slipped into the WoTG era from another reality.

Re: Demisang Deletrious

Fomors have always given me the vibe of being PVP in PVE clothing. I think the original intent of a randomized armor and weapon may have been the starts at an attempt to have a battlefield consisting of dozens of randomized Fomors as a sort of, "Can you beat the dark version of your own party?" or something like that. But then, I don't think that D.D. is actually truly randomized. Granted, I have not run Sortie as much as really anyone else who is still even semi-serious about XI, but for me, he almost always has Great Axe and then a hodgepodge of WHM and WAR AF. Sometimes there's some variety in this. I've seen Great Axe, Dual Daggers, Dual Swords, Staff, Club and Shield, and Hand to Hand. So he's what, based off the 6 starter jobs but restricted to being melee? Maybe that's just how they kept with the theming of the Sortie Fomors being largely in parties.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2024-10-28 00:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Re: Demisang Deletrious

Fomors have always given me the vibe of being PVP in PVE clothing. I think the original intent of a randomized armor and weapon may have been the starts at an attempt to have a battlefield consisting of dozens of randomized Fomors as a sort of, "Can you beat the dark version of your own party?" or something like that. But then, I don't think that D.D. is actually truly randomized. Granted, I have not run Sortie as much as really anyone else who is still even semi-serious about XI, but for me, he almost always has Great Axe and then a hodgepodge of WHM and WAR AF. Sometimes there's some variety in this. I've seen Great Axe, Dual Daggers, Dual Swords, Staff, Club and Shield, and Hand to Hand. So he's what, based off the 6 starter jobs but restricted to being melee? Maybe that's just how they kept with the theming of the Sortie Fomors being largely in parties.

To me the big thing about the Demisang is they are different from every other fomors. As best I can tell the game classifies them as half-gods or demigods. They are NOT undead. The Deleterious himself can be any combination of the 5 visible slots + a weapon from any of the initial six jobs. So WAR MNK WHM BLM RDM THF artifact/relic/empy + their respective six weapons. I feel like the original end of Sortie and Aminon was originally something different. It feels like Sortie was designed in 2012 and scrapped in favor of Vagary, and the basement was tacked on after the release of upstairs to the players many years later.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2024-10-28 01:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

sortie released after odyssey, odyssey uses neither temp key items nor temp items. Used instead izzat which is displayed on screen, same for dyna.d. with wave 3 boss progress bar for a free m.swart.

if sortie was developed around the time of delve, sortie, incursion, and vagary, why use temp items when the others use key items UNLESS the event was supposed to reset temps each time you enter.
ABCDEFGH all forced you to be in their region to get credit for chests opened. now it's only upstairs EFGH which are separated. they adjusted the chest 'bug' before adding EFGH otherwise we would likely be able to get credit for basement while upstairs or at least any basement would have been enough for credit.
If we had to re-obtain the keys & plates each time, then would region locked chests have even been considered a 'bug' at all?