Eventide Server
 Bahamut.Senaki
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-10-17 21:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Private servers don't "hurt" retail, but retail players really get tired of evangelicals knocking on our doors and asking us if we've heard about your lord and savior.

After witnessing WoW's demographic shifts from Classic vs. Retail servers, I also do not believe the private servers hurt retail.

Retail players and Classic (Roz FFXI) enjoys like different things about the game. And, to be frank, classic XI is an entirely different game from Retail at this point.

It is like arguing that Old School Runescape is stealing FFXI players. Like, maybe? Some perhaps? But they are really entirely different crowds.

Ya, maybe if NO options exists for classic, private or otherwise, said classic players would go to Retail. But it is just as likely they would play something else.

I have no issues with private servers. I have found that I enjoy Retail more overall (NOT SORTIE tho).

Source for data - "trust me bro" (aka anecdotal)
By Draylo 2024-10-17 21:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They really aren't different games, only the pacing is different. The same mechanics are at play, even things down to exping. I don't get this whole "they are completely different games"

The pacing doesn't make it a completely diff game.
By Felgarr 2024-10-17 21:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fayona said: »
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my experiences on Eventide So far.

I know everyone has different feelings on private, so I'd like to avoid any kinda discussions related to that.

For what its worth i love this game and I still have a retail sub going. I've never played on a server launch, and it is an absolute joy, its messy, its chaotic, and its creating a really nice community and environment to play this game in.

The mastery system makes Nin and Dualwield really fun to play. So far we've unlocked TOAU, and are getting into the midgame.

The Dev team has been really communicative and are super encouraging to new players.

This is the closest I've come to feeling that sense of adventure that hooked me so long ago when the world of Vana Diel felt new and exciting. Its not optimized to death yet, so I hope you'll come join this community and come play with us. (P.s. I am in no way affiliated with the server's owners, I just wanted to share and I hope my friends from retail and Horizon will join me here).

Miss you buddy! :P
 Bahamut.Senaki
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-10-17 23:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
They really aren't different games, only the pacing is different. The same mechanics are at play, even things down to exping. I don't get this whole "they are completely different games"

Idk

When was the last time you were able SA/TA a Whm to get them killed? :P
By Homsar 2024-10-18 00:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Deliberately obtuse man is deliberately obtuse. More at 11.
By Draylo 2024-10-18 00:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Senaki said: »

Idk

When was the last time you were able SA/TA a Whm to get them killed? :P

SCH can do it better
By Draylo 2024-10-18 00:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

de-mained, RIP.

Homsar said: »

Deliberately obtuse man is deliberately obtuse. More at 11.

Nope its true. The numbers are diff, but it still plays overall the same. Statics/LS for higher end content (sortie, dyna D, etc), solo content, EXP as content. You have everything you had in the 75 cap, in the current game all complete with reskins. The only difference is things dont take literal hours to accomplish, you dont need needless amounts of bodies (even people are soloing/low manning tons of stuff in that p server), and the numbers are smaller. The same concept of gear swapping, cooperative play in SC/MB is still there. The familiar strats for NMs are still being used such as kiting, zergs, pre buff zergs, etc. People are just hung up on nostalgia and exping as content, ridiculous really.
By Homsar 2024-10-18 00:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

de-mained, RIP.

Draylo gleefully reaches for the lotion and kleenex

Nope its true. The numbers are diff, but it still plays overall the same. Statics/LS for higher end content (sortie, dyna D, etc), solo content, EXP as content. You have everything you had in the 75 cap, in the current game all complete with reskins. The only difference is things dont take literal hours to accomplish, you dont need needless amounts of bodies (even people are soloing/low manning tons of stuff in that p server), and the numbers are smaller. The same concept of gear swapping, cooperative play in SC/MB is still there. The familiar strats for NMs are still being used such as kiting, zergs, pre buff zergs, etc. People are just hung up on nostalgia and exping as content, ridiculous really.

Literally "if you ignore everything that makes them different and boil the entirety of the games down into laughably vague context, they're exactly the same!" lmao

It's funny how everyone but you is capable of acknowledging they're different. Gotta stick to that script, don't you?