Games Older Than A Year, Or New Games

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Games older than a year, or new games
Games older than a year, or new games
By Dodik 2024-10-11 08:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What does everyone on this 22 year old game forum play when they are not playing a 22 year old game.

Do you prefer games that have come out this year, or games that came out before this year?

Do you prefer games older than 10 years old, or games newer than 10 years old?
By Pantafernando 2024-10-11 09:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now Ive been playing yugioh forbidden memories, because its a brain dead game i can grind while watching some lessons.

I also play a free match on Age of Mythology, sometimes more, sometimes less.

This year i already played FFXIII, Xenoblade 3 FR, Palworld, Xanadu Next and Infinity Strash.

My personal preferences nowadays are open world, grinding, action RPG, potentially rogue like games.

What aged poorly for me are turn based, too linear game (for example, i gave up Sea of Stars because it was turn based and too linear for my tastes).
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-10-11 09:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I try to avoid any other games that utilize psychology to create addiction. Most free-to-play games, MMOs, and ranked games fall in this category. Matchmaker games are particularly bad about abusing psychology. I stopped playing FFXI for fun when I finished Odyssey, though I still like the forums and I'd engage with new content if it was accessible without primes. I just don't see Sortie as fun enough to repeat endlessly, and while I could probably automate it, paying my sub just to slowly accumulate primes doesn't seem worthwhile.

I still mostly tend toward newer games, I just don't feel obligated to always have a game to play. Usually have the best experience if I can play with my partner, or watch her play for the story/experience. Some recent games we've enjoyed together:
It Takes Two
Hogwarts Legacy
FF16
FF7R
BG3

We were on a Mario Party Superstars kick for a while, though we only play offline. Looking forward to Mario Party Jambouree next week.

If I'm going to play a game by myself, I tend to prefer games with simplistic controls as they feel more like the kind of relaxing activity gaming is supposed to be. I seem to do a playthrough of some Metroid game at least once a year. Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and now Dread are all relatively short and fun. I put a good amount of hours into Stardew Valley. Cuphead was a favorite. The Super Mario RPG remake is on my list atm, though I'm not sure when I'll actually get to it.

So, I guess I didn't really answer the question. I mostly prefer older games because they tend to align more with the simple controls and mechanics philosophy that I find relaxing. But, in practice I end up watching/playing newer games because I'd rather share the experience than play the game closest to my own tastes. There are some newer games that have done a great job of recreating the style of older games with updated graphics and engines (Dread, Stardew, Mario Party, Cuphead).

Edit: Beat Saber is also a blast, though it doesn't immediately come to mind when I think of video games.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-11 09:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Fire Emblem fan, so I play a lot of old games, as most Fire Emblems are ancient by modern gaming standards.

Skipped out on the most recent one, cause it has toothpaste as its main lord and a V-tuber art style. Disgusting.

Mainly the Tellius duology a lot. I replay them once a year, but this year I've been ramming through challenge run after challenge run of them. Currently playing Japanese version of Radiant Dawn, Ironman style. I've had to restart the run like 20 times, because there's so many extra game over conditions.

Other than that, I play a lotta Fromsoftware games whenever the mood strikes. Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS1 etc. My wife is actually up to Painted World of Ariamis in Dark Souls on her first ever playthrough. She's taking it very gingerly.

TL;DR - Old games. I'm fairly picky, and if it isn't tried and true for me or lacks immediate appeal, then I don't even bother.

I kinda wanna play Stella Deus again, but I can't remember if I like that game genuinely, or if I liked it because my brother and I played through it together and there were big titty anime chicks. I think I must have liked it, because Magna Carta fits that criteria, but Magna Carta's gameplay is so *** that not even mommy milkers could save it.
 Sylph.Kalmado
Server: Sylph
user: Kalmado7
By Sylph.Kalmado 2024-10-11 09:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all over the place with games. I have a huge library to run thru with options always available. Just picked up: Remnant 2, Persona 5 Strikers, Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and am waiting for a sale on Like a Dragon: Gaiden and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Still going thru Elden Ring's DLC as well.

I came back to XI earlier this year but will be unsubbing in a few days. It was good to check in but I don't see much of a reason to stick around.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2024-10-11 09:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's look back at my last 25 or so game purchases from Amazon or otherwise and get some insight I to my tastes. This includes pre-orders for some

Silent hill 2 remake
Metaphor refantazio collectors edition
Suikoden 1 and 2 collection
Visions of mana
Caves of qud
Ace attorney investigations collection
Dragon quest 3 hd-2d remake
13 sentinels aegis rim (disappointed on this one. Mediocre)
Shin megami tensei V vengeance
Elden ring DLC
Paper Mario ttyd remaster
Eiyuden chronicle (kick started this. Supremely lackluster and generic)
Unicorn overlord
Lords of the fallen (also disappointed, needed serious polish)
Persona 3 reload
Like a dragon infinite wealth
Ff7 rebirth
Lies of P (much better/more polished than lords of the fallen)
Super mario rpg remake
Star ocean 2 remake
Advance wars 1 and 2 remakes
Final fantasy xvi (super meh)
Diablo iv (bought to play with wife. Trash trash trash)
Zelda Tears of the kingdom
Resident evil 4 remake
Theatrhythm final bar line
Octopath traveler 2

Also a bunch if digital games on switch that I'm forgetting I'm sure

I like to think I play fun stuff, and been playing so long I mostly know my tastes

Also looking forward to lunar collection, fantasy life sequel, and might buy the rain code re-release for my wife
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
Server: Asura
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-10-11 09:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
I'm a Fire Emblem fan, so I play a lot of old games, as most Fire Emblems are ancient by modern gaming standards.

Skipped out on the most recent one, cause it has toothpaste as its main lord and a V-tuber art style. Disgusting.

Mainly the Tellius duology a lot. I replay them once a year, but this year I've been ramming through challenge run after challenge run of them. Currently playing Japanese version of Radiant Dawn, Ironman style. I've had to restart the run like 20 times, because there's so many extra game over conditions.

Other than that, I play a lotta Fromsoftware games whenever the mood strikes. Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS1 etc. My wife is actually up to Painted World of Ariamis in Dark Souls on her first ever playthrough. She's taking it very gingerly.

TL;DR - Old games. I'm fairly picky, and if it isn't tried and true for me or lacks immediate appeal, then I don't even bother.

I kinda wanna play Stella Deus again, but I can't remember if I like that game genuinely, or if I liked it because my brother and I played through it together and there were big titty anime chicks. I think I must have liked it, because Magna Carta fits that criteria, but Magna Carta's gameplay is so *** that not even mommy milkers could save it.

iv never played a Fire Emblem game but did enjoy Tactics ogre and FF tactics i am in chapter 3 in the remaster of Tactics ogre not finished it yet
By K123 2024-10-11 10:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think Bravely Default and Bravely Second are two of the best games ever made.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2024-10-11 11:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It varies, but it'd certainly be something I navigate more by interest than release year. If that is a factor, it's driven more by convenience or shifts in design philosophy than ew, old graphics/etc.
Sometimes I'm not playing much, period, due to focusing on other hobbies. Earlier this year I was dating someone, and played coop stuff or things she was interested in.

Fromsoft games are the standouts for going back for replays, and I'd definitely look at a good WRPG, immersive sim, or metroidvania as more likely to get me interested than most.

Almost entirely single player games though, or if online, ones that I can largely or entirely play solo.
 Sylph.Kalmado
Server: Sylph
user: Kalmado7
By Sylph.Kalmado 2024-10-11 12:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Fromsoft games are the standouts for going back for replays
I agree with this as FromSoftware games are my most played games on steam. Even Dark Souls 2 SotFS, my second to last favorite FS game, I'd still rank better than most other games.