ATTN: Smokers, I Have A Question.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
ATTN: Smokers, I have a question.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 14:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
hah, if your only ever *** the same person forever and ever, and granted they to are ONLY ever *** you likewise, sure maybe. otherwise your taking a risk every single time, idc how safe/smart you think you are. my original point still stands, people do it for whatever reasons because they want to, paired with not everyone has the same comprehension of consequences.
Ever heard of a condom? Or maybe just not sleeping with something just because it wears a skirt?

Yeah especially since sometimes guys wear skirts...
[+]
 Shiva.Emobi
Server: Shiva
user: Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-11-08 14:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

TO THE EDUCATED AND THOSE WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO LEARN FROM THIS THREAD, AND AREN'T LAZY *** WHO CAN'T READ MORE THAN 2 SENTENCES
(the rest of you ***-starters can move on to another post to make fun of):

When broken down, smoking is simply deep breathing. People often say that it's the nicotine that is addictive, but really what's addictive is meeting your body's need for a few deep breaths. Every so often, the brain and body needs a good rush of oxygen to refuel cells. Unfortunately these breaths are filled with all sorts of terrifying fumes that are obviously bad. I agree, it's baffling that someone will consciously continue to contribute to a downward health spiral.

Lets look at some of the reasons why it starts:

1) Smoking in the family. It sounds weird, but the scent of cigarettes on the clothes is a comforting scent to me - it reminds me of my father, whom I have a great relationship with. Growing up with it, and hearing someone that you look up to, claim that "Oh I've been doing this every day, blah blah not dead, yadda" is a great way to become brainwashed.

2) Breaks at work. When I was in the military, only the smokers got breaks. The non-smokers had to get right back to work if they were "just standing around". If this were balanced-out, and people given "Deep-breathing breaks" then there would be far less smokers who just do it for the sake of getting the hell out of the office. On the flip-side, for most Americans "Deep-breathing breaks" sounds too huggy-feely.

3) Social habits. A drink and a cig are quite common in most circles. People get used to it. It's a little difficult to be the "odd man out", but I have several friends who are all about sobriety... so if you find yourself in this dilemma, I would suggest surrounding yourself with those who are interested in good health.

I would like to point those fingers from the over-weight contributors of this thread right back at them. Walking straight into foreseeable unhealth is something that we should all take responsibility for. We all have bad habits, and we have to realize that most people are simply doing the best that they know how to do. If we were fully educated on WHAT EXACTLY we're doing with our bodies, we would care, and self-destroying habits would dwindle. The last thing we want to do is mock someone who has a problem - wouldn't that make us all hypocrites?

I am recovering slowly. I've gotten back to the point where I can't stand smoking cigarettes without getting an upset stomach. I can taste all of the additives. I MUCH prefer pot, because (despite what propagandist medical textbooks say) it has less tar than tobacco, AND it helps with my back that got injured during Marine Corps Combat Training (yay tendinitis). All in moderation though :D
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 14:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
who cares what anyone does as long as its not hurting anything to do with you i say.

I care, because I don't want to breath your smoke in. Smoking doesn't just harm the smoking, it harms those around them as well.

that would be why its illegal to smoke @ any public establishment in chicago now.. and as it is now in a lot of places. i whole heartedly agree though, just because one person wants to smoke, doesnt give them the right to force everyone around them to smoke via second hand.. but in the real world here in chi town, i still stand by my original point. as long as its not hurting anyone else.. who cares ?
i dont give a ***what people do. people can dress up as furries and have *** parties, people can worship the devil, people can do some of the most *** up ***imaginable to me, and as long as its not hurting anyone else.. its got zero to do with me and im not gonna be a *** sticking my noise in other peoples business trying to tell em how to live.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Emobi said:
I MUCH prefer pot, because (despite what propagandist medical textbooks say) it has less tar than tobacco, AND it helps with my back that got injured during Marine Corps Combat Training (yay tendinitis). All in moderation though :D

Actually most studies show alot less tar and stuff mostly cause of all the addictives and crap in most cigs these days. It's generally all the other side effects of just the THC that get people in arms. Well that and putting any kind of smoke in your lungs just aint healthy. Oh that and it's kinda illegal
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
hah, if your only ever *** the same person forever and ever, and granted they to are ONLY ever *** you likewise, sure maybe. otherwise your taking a risk every single time, idc how safe/smart you think you are. my original point still stands, people do it for whatever reasons because they want to, paired with not everyone has the same comprehension of consequences.
Ever heard of a condom? Or maybe just not sleeping with something just because it wears a skirt?

condoms cant guarantee anything lol.. unless your only having intercourse with one partner and vise versa, theres no way to 100% guarantee anything at all.. EVER.
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-11-08 15:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
that would be why its illegal to smoke @ any public establishment in chicago now.. and as it is now in a lot of places. i whole heartedly agree though, just because one person wants to smoke, doesnt give them the right to force everyone around them to smoke via second hand.. but in the real world here in chi town, i still stand by my original point. as long as its not hurting anyone else.. who cares ?
i dont give a ***what people do. people can dress up as furries and have *** parties, people can worship the devil, people can do some of the most *** up ***imaginable to me, and as long as its not hurting anyone else.. its got zero to do with me and im not gonna be a *** sticking my noise in other peoples business trying to tell em how to live.

Holy Christ, thank you. Thank you for not being high and mighty, and letting people do what they want. You're absolutely right; if it doesn't affect you, why should you care?
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 15:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
who cares what anyone does as long as its not hurting anything to do with you i say.

I care, because I don't want to breath your smoke in. Smoking doesn't just harm the smoking, it harms those around them as well.

Well, I agree. Somebody smoking privately on their own, well, their body, their choice. Would never impose my non-smoking viewpoint on them if it's what they wanted to do. It's when I walk down the street and get a mouthful of someone's joint that it starts to get to me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-08 15:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to bring a dirty *** baby diaper and fan to a dinner next time. Sit right next to a group of smokers and fan that ***in their direction. Then claim that I like the smell of ***, it helps me relax, and I enjoy my meal better this way.

I've always wondered if smokers like their smoke so much, why do they roll down their car windows when they smoke?

I don't mind people who drink, as long as they don't drink enough to become obnoxious. Why? Because, Them drinking doesn't affect me. My clothes don't smell like crap when I hang out with people who drink in moderation. I don't have to breathe foul air.

It's easily the biggest turn off for me in a woman. Which is unfortunate, because I meet a lot of nice ladies who smoke.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-08 15:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
as long as its not hurting anyone else.. who cares ?

Healthcare costs? <.>
umm I dont know alot of people who wait to see a garbage can so instead they litter.
Shiva.Emobi said:

2) Breaks at work. When I was in the military, only the smokers got breaks. The non-smokers had to get right back to work if they were "just standing around". If this were balanced-out, and people given "Deep-breathing breaks" then there would be far less smokers who just do it for the sake of getting the hell out of the office. On the flip-side, for most Americans "Deep-breathing breaks" sounds too huggy-feely.

I'm gonna ask for deep breathing breaks now :P
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 15:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but condoms make it much less likely you're going to catch sometime, and there's other types of contraceptives as well (the best one being not trolling for booty). You can't put a condom on the end of a cigaerrete and lower the chances of lung cancer or something.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
condoms cant guarantee anything lol.. unless your only having intercourse with one partner and vise versa, theres no way to 100% guarantee anything at all.. EVER.

News flash for you your never 100% safe ever. People have had there brains blown out by meotors sitting at home watching TV. Bet they thought they were safe. Guess what ever time you step out the door the odds of something bad happening go way up. As far as sex goes get a virgin chain her in your basement. Enjoy
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-08 15:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
You can't put a condom on the end of a cigaerrete and lower the chances of lung cancer or something.

Lights, ultra lights and bigger filters?
[+]
 Shiva.Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-11-08 15:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

Shiva.Emobi said:

I'm gonna ask for deep breathing breaks now :P

give your boss a good argument, and i'm sure they will agree to it :D

I'm thinking of petitioning for a "Nap Room" at school :D Students and teachers would be SO MUCH HAPPIER!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
You can't put a condom on the end of a cigaerrete and lower the chances of lung cancer or something.

Filters only protect the smoker and only when they are taking a drag
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Drteeth said:
Drinking and smoking PERIOD are bad for you. A drinker telling a smoker they're stupid is hypocritical. A fat person telling a drinker they're stupid is hypocritical. A drug addict telling a fat person they're stupid is hypocritical.

When I see someone inhaling on a cigarette, it annoys me. It annoys me how people need cigarettes to be more sociable, to set the mood. Or how they need it "to get through" the day, *** ***. Or how I can't take a normal breath in a pub because it's one goddamn grey smokey haze that makes your eyes burn. It certainly *** annoys me when smokers complain to me that they haven't had a smoke yet or that they need one bad, like I care. Als people that constantly offer me cigarettes when they know I don't smoke are considerably rude.

I know a lot of smokers, that I respect and love. My dad, half my family.

I just think the act of smoking is beyond silly.

I never said something about these people being stupid, and if I did so please post it so I can review the phrase.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

im still wondering why OP asked ? the answer to the q is simple though, people do stuff because they want/dont want to for whatever reasons. as long as its not illegal, complaining about it is just that, complaining. i just wanna know if op was made to try and educate smokers ? or somthing along those lines.. ?
just so i can just get my lol@ that outta the way and be done here if thats the case.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 15:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

They're really not as effective as people think, it's a marketting ploy to make more people smoke. Look at the descriptions on packs of filters.
[+]
 Shiva.Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-11-08 15:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:

When I see someone inhaling on a cigarette, it annoys me. It annoys me how people need cigarettes to be more sociable, to set the mood. Or how they need it "to get through" the day, *** ***.

....I think you got some issues dude. You're seriously UPSET at something someone else is doing?

I would suggest that you sift out the *** in your OWN life that you're trying to distract yourself from by posting self-righteous threads like this.

Focus on yourself a bit, ok? you don't seem as healthy as you're trying to make yourself out to be.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how people try to justify their own self destructive behaviors while condemning others.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
im still wondering why OP asked?

I'm curious behind the reasoning of smokers. I have seen a wide variety of reasons. And I can see a wide variety in this thread too. It fascinates and interests me to hear of this.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-08 15:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Shiva.Drteeth said:
Drinking and smoking PERIOD are bad for you. A drinker telling a smoker they're stupid is hypocritical. A fat person telling a drinker they're stupid is hypocritical. A drug addict telling a fat person they're stupid is hypocritical.

When I see someone inhaling on a cigarette, it annoys me. It annoys me how people need cigarettes to be more sociable, to set the mood. Or how they need it "to get through" the day, *** ***. Or how I can't take a normal breath in a pub because it's one goddamn grey smokey haze that makes your eyes burn. It certainly *** annoys me when smokers complain to me that they haven't had a smoke yet or that they need one bad, like I care. Als people that constantly offer me cigarettes when they know I don't smoke are considerably rude.

I know a lot of smokers, that I respect and love. My dad, half my family.

I just think the act of smoking is beyond silly.

I never said something about these people being stupid, and if I did so please post it so I can review the phrase.

thats cool you disapprove of smoking, but theres probably a metric *** ton of stuff you do certain people might complain about too though, and your reasons/rationale would be the same. "i do it because uhh, i want to ?"
i disapprove of a lot of ***too, but i wouldnt personally just go around telling everyone erking my nuts they are silly, or i disapprove. i mind my own business.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-11-08 15:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Why do you smoke? What is the reason for you smoking and what is the motivation of you continuing to smoke? (Pot doesn't count. >.>;)

Your contributions to yesterdays ***storm wasnt enough, when that thread died you had to make a new one with a new fresh topic to get people attacked for defending smoking? And I like how pot doesnt count... I lol'd hard. Marjuana contains just as much if not MORE tar then most ciggarettes, which contributes to cancer as much as any carcenogen found in cigs.
[+]
 Shiva.Drteeth
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-11-08 15:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Shiva.Drteeth said:

I wasn't speaking directly about you. I was just saying that thinking smokers are silly for doing what they do is pretty hypocritical when 99% of people probably do something detrimental to their health.

Example: Guy comes home from work, has a cigarette to relax.
Another guy comes home from work, drinks to relax.
Another guy comes home from work, eats a lot of junk food to relax.
Another guy comes home from work, sits in front of a computer screen all night to relax.
ANOTHER guy comes home from work and shoots up to relax.

You see where I'm going with this? People (in general, not just YOU) need to stop and consider what they do to their own bodies before they try to say something somebody else does is bad.

Let people live their lives, and do what they want. If it isn't affecting you directly, there should be no reason for you to care.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-08 15:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The pretty quick way that the smokers are getting worked up defending themselves makes me think they know what they're doing is bad for them, but can't think of a way to justify it that non smokers would understand. That's what all my friends say, "You don't smoke, you wouldn't understand." Fair comment or?
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious as to the reasons people choose to get shitfaced drunk or high.

I'm curious as to why it's so cool to smoke pot.

I'm also curious as to why people think Kanye West is so *** amazing. Care to enlighten me, OP?
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-08 15:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Emobi said:
....I think you got some issues dude. You're seriously UPSET at something someone else is doing?

I work at a hospital. Whenever I go to the lung department(People usually have screwed up lungs, or have had surgeries to get parts removed and get breathing assistance through medical equipment) I see patients that hide cigs under their beds and in their shoes. I get reports that patients call their families to bring them cigs. I hear of patients continiously try to sneak out for a smoke when it's freezing outside. And you're asking me if I'm upset?
[+]
 Shiva.Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-11-08 15:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
And I like how pot doesnt count... I lol'd hard. Marjuana contains just as much if not MORE tar then most ciggarettes, which contributes to cancer as much as any carcenogen found in cigs.

Actually, you are misinformed. The LEAVES of marijuana have more tar, than the leaves of tobacco. However, the bud, the flower of the marijuana plant is smoked, which contains very little tar.

Just wanted to clarify that little misunderstanding.

Case and point: How many deaths from Marijuana do you hear about on a daily basis? eh? hmmm??
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-08 15:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

But...smoking pot is ok?
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-08 15:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
But...smoking pot is ok?

Nope
[+]
 Shiva.Dinarii
user: Dinarii
By Shiva.Dinarii 2009-11-08 15:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

yaaaay, more personal elitism and "Im better because i do/dont do x thing" jesus christ, if you can't figure out why people do or don't do something. who cares? some have been smoking since they were 10, they didnt have the warnings and info on smoking years ago.

and hey, people have been smoking one thing or another for ages. why wouldn't it be prevalent in today's society? why are you even surprised? just because today's medical and scientific advances say "hey smoking kills you" so does a lot of things that are less criticized and openly objected to. yeh smoking kills, but so does breathing. how many diseases and germs are spread just by common touches, and close quarters contact?

if you don't like someone smoking, either A) be the douche you are and open your cakehole. or B) move a few feet away. or go somewhere else. if i were a smoker i really would give a ***less if you were uncomfortable for it, there's reasons there are smoking and non-smoking areas in most places. qyb and gtfo.

self important/self righteous flakes.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11