Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
Most Worthless Moves In FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-21 18:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Senaki said: »
Then Smiting Breath does 200 damage, and the mob is at 0.9% max health.

Holy ***, do Dynamis mobs have 200,000 HP now, or are you still working on your middle school math?
By Nariont 2024-10-21 19:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

guessing that would be cause it resisted, but idk how good a non-swap breath is in accuracy, same time there's decent chunks of pet macc in most of drgs TP gear now i think so even if you dont have a breath swap acc shouldnt be toooo terrible
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2024-10-21 20:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

These arent moves but I find them to be very much worthless in game:
Potions and Ethers in general

• They heal too little HP/MP even for 75 era.

• They have a very long "Cast" time.

• Several of them prevent you from casting spells or using JAs for up to 10 seconds or more (There was one item that locks you for I think 30 seconds?)

It's one of the most useless group of items in the entire game except for Temp-Item Potions and Vile Elixers. I have no idea why they would tie a 10 second spell lockout to a heavy Ether of all things lolol. Imagine being a WHM in a bind back in the day and desperately needing some MP without knowing about that drawback... Get to watch your party die in front of you while you're helpless to do anything about it with high MP... Delicious Irony haha.

Sorry for the derail, we were looking at useless things and I couldnt help myself but to make a useless post
[+]
By Nariont 2024-10-21 20:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
They heal too little HP/MP even for 75 era.

Even in 75 era they're largely in the same spot like you said; only vile/+1 is worth ever using, the rest took too long for too little return, you might have been able to squeeze in an emergency hi/pro-ether when something was bound/grav'd but that's about it.

I dont remember the after-use lock out however, medicated was a thing which was annoying in some cases, as unless im mistaken they also gave that effect back in the day, to prevent "abuse", how you could abuse something that returned so little and took so much space idk
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2024-10-21 20:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
I dont remember the after-use lock out however, medicated was a thing which was annoying in some cases, as unless im mistaken they also gave that effect back in the day, to prevent "abuse", how you could abuse something that returned so little and took so much space idk

Ohhhh yes, if you get the chance to, grab some Ethers, High Ethers and other things. I cant remember which ones exactly but upon using them you'll be unable to cast or JA at all for several seconds. It doesn't give you any message either it just "wont let you" and it's infuriating when it's happening lol
By Kaffy 2024-10-21 21:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember using hi potions for Maat, some CoP fights, as well as BCNM 20 solos, but yeah ethers and elixirs are definitely a Tanaka era thing where the punishment for using it is greater than the reward.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-21 21:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the idea behind potions/ethers etc. Was to be things used in emergencies that were slow but still faster than kneeling to rest MP or HP.

Some of them do have quite fast use with little penalty. HQ Hi Potions in particular are very good healing for the time it takes to use them, and they do not render your character medicated.

I know back in the day the RDM Maat guides said to bring a Pro-Ether, preferably an HQ one to use because you'd run yourself out of MP even with Convert, given how much spells cost back then and how much you'd need to be doing to Maat.

And I know I used one when I beat him on Dumakulem back in late 2011. The Pro Ether +3 gives 350 MP for a 15 minute medicated status and a 5 second delay on actions after use. But it's a 3 second activation. Not that bad at all.

Regular Ethers +3 restore 40 MP and have no drawbacks other than the 3 seconds it takes to use one and standard item/action delay. Of course, that's drawbacks to your actions...

The main reasons consumables never work out in XI is our lack of inventory space vs. how much you'd need to make it worthwhile vs. the cost of time and resources to have as much as you'd need.

Like buying NQ Ethers from NPCs? They cost like 7k gil to restore 20 MP. Ain't nobody got time for that! They are a level 50 Alchemy recipe as well, and again, if you've got Alchemy 50 you probably wanna be making other things that sell better anyway/are more useful.

The more egregious ones are the Hi-Ethers that take 10 seconds to even use for 50 MP. I'm sure that's faster than old resting, but damn... shitty shitty shitty! Aspir Samba is superior, surely...
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2024-10-22 06:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I often wonder why SE never looked to address/improve upon Potions and Ethers in this game. It could very well improve gameplay if people had more viable ways to heal themselves if they don’t have the proper tools and abilities to do so already; and would help lessen the load on healers if there’s a sticky situation.

Potions/Ethers have been a mainstay in Final Fantasy so it would make sense for them to actually be useful imo. Faster use time, lesser lockouts, more bang for buck.

I’m certain it’s FAR too late in the game for them to care about it now but if there was any singular thing that needed tuning I’d take a look at that.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-10-22 06:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think dnc and to a lesser degree sch were both attempts to give people the ability to heal and refresh on any main job. I agree with Vyre that if potions were too good you'd just stock full inventory and prolong fights artificially trying to stay alive.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-10-22 07:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

They probably didn't want players to be able to do anything significant past the early levels solo.

Which reminds me that, back in the earlier days of FFXI, most players didn't bother to use food (like mithkabobs for melee and yagudo drinks for mages) in EXP parties. Game didn't encourage players to use them in any way, like noticeable gains (for the average joe) or ease of acquisition (through quests or cheap vendors - gil needed work to accrue and spend on other stuff like gear)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12