First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-09-27 14:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
We are doing it a favor transforming it in a more productive way to use forum space, thats shitposting.
It is certainly containing the ***admirably
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Fantasmo
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Fantasmo
By Quetzalcoatl.Fantasmo 2024-09-27 14:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

As a player who just recently returned from a 10 year break, I have to agree with some of what the OP said, and that this has typically gone way off rails. I decided to start fresh since this is not the same game I left 10 years ago. There is certain degree of commitment expected from people who wish to do the "end game" events. You should have a TP set, a WS set, -dt set, at the very least. Even if they aren't all that great. You should have sets for job abilities, castings, all kinds of stuff. You're not expected to have flawless gear, or even super top notch. But, having different sets and macros to use them, show a level of commitment, even to a little degree, that you are indeed willing to put in the work, to do higher and higher content.
If you do not show that you will even put in the time for macros and gear sets, then no one will think you would put in the effort to learn the nuances of the higher end content.
Most things now can be done with trusts while you're solo, and you absolutely do not need bots, or add-ons, or anything else to do these things. But it will be requested that you are indeed competent in your role and job. That isn't much to ask honestly. You will also very likely need to have more then one job leveled, and I don't mean two DD lol. As was said earlier in this thread, you will likely need to go on a support job until your DD is at the level needed. Not everything can be done willy-nilly and there are certain requirements, and you will find a group willing to work with you, as long as you have shown that you are willing to put in said work too.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-09-27 15:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If only a person or a company could look into these issues and try to fix them
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-27 15:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thorny
Did you read the rest of my post, or just stop at the first paragraph?
I started gearswap is a mixed bag based on how its used.

As far as your examples of GS running intelligence to alter your command, thats bot. Youre not issuing a command to be performed in game, youre telling gearswap to perform analysis and execute what it thinks is the best course of action. Its not even like the example command was “cast cure on X” and it would *** the best tier to use, you gave it free reign to cast anything to put the party in a better situation based on HP buffs debuffs etc.

That is a very far cry from pressing F9 to switch from normal, Acc and HighAcc tp sets.
 Asura.Nalfey
Server: Asura
user: Nalf
By Asura.Nalfey 2024-09-27 15:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
If only a person or a company could look into these issues and try to fix them

Pet jobs
Your pet doesn’t judge you if you suck and will always love you,
You don’t have to deal with other players’ ego,
You don’t end up playing with noobs that ruin your game time and fun

Pretty much exactly like IRL … dogs > humans.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 16:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
"Scenario changes" is too vague anyway since SE has now given us enough macro bars (and multipurpose gear) that changing to an ACC/PDL/hybrid row on your macro sets is possibly less trivial than doing it on gearswap.

LOL. Try doing it.

Macro page 1: Low acc, Low PDL, No DT
Macro page 2: High acc, Low PDL, No DT
Macro page 3: Low Acc, High PDL, No DT
Mage page 4: High Acc, High PDL, No DT
...etc.

Now add in which quick draw type you're on, which element you're casting, which weapon type you're using...

Oh, and you need 1 macro per toggle to swap them. So now you have 5 of your 20 total macros per page dedicated to toggles.

Oh, and also there's nothing on screen to show you what all 5 of your toggles are set to.
There is a default vanilla keyboard shortcut for that to quickly change rows. You can do that in one keystroke if you bothered to learn how to play the game.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-27 16:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Youre not issuing a command to be performed in game, youre telling gearswap to perform analysis and execute what it thinks is the best course of action.

This is the same thing you're doing when you have a sufficiently complex set of rules to determine which swaps are occurring. Most mage gearswaps are not just using your own preset variables, they are examining various game conditions (weather, day, current hp/mp on private server, current target for some luas, etc). How much analysis is allowed? Is there a strict limit to how many checks you can have, or what they can reference?

By this logic a command can trigger a fixed 0x1A instruction(action) with variable 0x50/0x51 instructions(equip) and it's ok. But, a command triggering a variable 0x1A instruction(action) is not. This is because you've decided that equipment is less influential than actions, not because of any technical line that was drawn.

Shichishito said: »
These "you can't define a line" arguments almost always come from people who crossed every possible line out there and they most certainly are almost always made in bad faith.
I'm not defending any use of any tool, I'm pointing out that I have yet to see a reasonable argument that stands up to scrutiny from someone who actually understands how all these tools work. Almost everyone feels exactly the same about the least and most extreme ends of the spectrum, but draws the cheating line somewhere differently in between. Effectively nobody has done this based on objective criteria, it's all personal perception.

I don't particularly care about this topic in regards to whether players feel things are cheating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am somewhat biased in that I find the way Horizon and Catseye set up their rules about addons to be completely ridiculous. You can absolutely write an addon that complies with their rules to do effectively anything, while you can criminalize completely harmless addons. Trying to legislate which code/behaviors are allowed is far too nuanced to be practical.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gavroches
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-09-27 16:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gearswap ain’t bad, its just the basic of idle/precast/midcast/engage, where it include in the packet basically the native equipset change. Advantage of it is if you move the ring from wardrobe 1 to 2, it still pick it up, it’s easily readable and so forth. Now some are really extensive, where the base of gearswap is there but there’s so much to them and I won’t elaborate on those but yeah some are so extensive that they can 6 box T3V25 with video posted (YouTube it it’s public). To be honest, it doesn’t bother me, they must have work so much on them that they earn it in my opinion.

I know a lot of people that got into coding because of messing around on XI, and maybe it should be view as part of the game evolution and teaching.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-27 16:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Heres what I said about GS:
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
I like what thorny said on the last page, it really is hard to nail down in perfect unambiguous terms
gearswap is grey area depending on functions. Swapping gear for WS, not a bot. Pre/mid/aftercast on spellcasts, not a bot. Auto-swapping gear when buffs change, bot. Swapping to movement boots when you take a step then swapping back to regular idle, definitely a bot and sus as ***.

Quote:
This is the same thing you're doing when you have a sufficiently complex set of rules to determine which swaps are occurring.
And i covered this, it falls under bot. Its performing analysis and adjusting based on your rules.
Im not a purist, im not against it, but im gonna still call a spade a spade. Unless i missed something, were not discussing the line of acceptable or unacceptable use-cases, were discussing where the line between automation and bot is.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-27 16:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Aftercast is reacting to a game event, because it occurs when the spell completes, even if the casttime is not as expected (chainspell, instant cast proc, addle or other slowing mechanism).

Yes, you have to cast the spell in the first place, but in doing so it sets up an automatic response to a certain game event and that response further has the ability to examine game conditions.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-27 16:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Im on geo
I have two idle sets:
One with pet, one without

If i manually alter the idle set to Pet because I have a luopan out, gearswap returning to that idle set aftercast is automation

Gearswap performing analysis to see if I have a pet out and assessing which idle set to return to is bot.

Its a very minor example, but a minor example is all thats needed to articulate where the line is. Thats my take regarding where the line between automation and bot is. Youre welcome to disagree and state your opinion of where the line is.
By Sylvebits 2024-09-27 16:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Heres what I said about GS:
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
I like what thorny said on the last page, it really is hard to nail down in perfect unambiguous terms
gearswap is grey area depending on functions. Swapping gear for WS, not a bot. Pre/mid/aftercast on spellcasts, not a bot. Auto-swapping gear when buffs change, bot. Swapping to movement boots when you take a step then swapping back to regular idle, definitely a bot and sus as ***.

Quote:
This is the same thing you're doing when you have a sufficiently complex set of rules to determine which swaps are occurring.
And i covered this, it falls under bot. Its performing analysis and adjusting based on your rules.
Im not a purist, im not against it, but im gonna still call a spade a spade. Unless i missed something, were not discussing the line of acceptable or unacceptable use-cases, were discussing where the line between automation and bot is.

Yea... if you're letting the LUA do all the work and auto swapping based on second to second changes.. then we're swimming in not so good waters : o.

For me gearswap is just a simpler/quicker way of what can be done using the in-game macro pages and equipsets.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"Scenario changes" is too vague anyway since SE has now given us enough macro bars (and multipurpose gear) that changing to an ACC/PDL/hybrid row on your macro sets is possibly less trivial than doing it on gearswap.

LOL. Try doing it.

...etc.

Now add in which quick draw type you're on, which element you're casting, which weapon type you're using...

Oh, and you need 1 macro per toggle to swap them. So now you have 5 of your 20 total macros per page dedicated to toggles.

Oh, and also there's nothing on screen to show you what all 5 of your toggles are set to.
There is a default vanilla keyboard shortcut for that to quickly change rows. You can do that in one keystroke if you bothered to learn how to play the game.

This is significantly worse then OK. If you want to go from Low Acc, Low PDL, No DT to High Acc, High PDL, High DT you need to hold ctrl and press Up Up Up Up Up. Hope you memorized every single one of these. You have to remember what every page of your 10 (for this job) are and which order they're in. Then you have to remember which one you're currently on and press the correct number of ups and downs to change it.

Oh and if you go past 10 macro pages (because you obviously will) there's no keyboard shortcut anymore, now you HAVE to hit a macro (or type the command into the chat log) to change boxes. Hope you remembered which book and page you're going to!

Everyone who says it's easy to implement toggles into base FFXI makes it incredibly clear they've never attempted it at any level of even meager sophistication.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-09-27 16:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a direct input command to change macro set without cycling.

Control/Alt+Shift+Number - jumps directly to that page
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 16:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL. Try doing it.

...etc.

This is significantly worse then OK. If you want to go from Low Acc, Low PDL, No DT to High Acc, High PDL, High DT you need to hold ctrl and press Up Up Up Up Up. Hope you memorized every single one of these. You have to remember what every page of your 10 (for this job) are and which order they're in. Then you have to remember which one you're currently on and press the correct number of ups and downs to change it.

Oh and if you go past 10 macro pages (because you obviously will) there's no keyboard shortcut anymore, now you HAVE to hit a macro (or type the command into the chat log) to change boxes. Hope you remembered which book and page you're going to!

Everyone who says it's easy to implement toggles into base FFXI makes it incredibly clear they've never attempted it at any level of even meager sophistication.
I am not talking about that pressing up multiple times like somebody who didn't bother to read the patch notes or at least keep up with the scholar forums. There is shortcut to take you DIRECTLY to take you to the macro set of your choosing if you bothered to actually learn the game. in a SINGLE set of keystrokes (as in ONE since you clearly do not understand that pressing up multiple times is not a single set of strokes) you can change to the appropriate row.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Macro
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-27 16:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a very minor example, but a minor example is all thats needed to articulate where the line is.

Okay, but gearswap is still performing analysis to determine when your cast ends and thus, when your aftercast gear should be put on. Again, this time can vary with addle, instant cast procs, and such. So, you are back to being a bot because a reaction is occuring. If it were a dead wait like old spellcast, then I assume it would be automation by your standards, but this isn't.

If this is ok, what if I press a macro to cast cure 3 when the optimal time occurs. Also, I add similar macros for every other spell. Then, I mash all of them.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I know there is, I just said that. It's /macro book ## and /macro set ##. I use it for some of my swaps.

This requires, as I said above, for you to memorize the book and set you're going to. For every book and set. For every job. And then you have to type it into the box every time you want to change a toggle.

Or you have to take up macro slots for it, which I think is more reasonable but requires you to take up the macro slots.

I use these toggles for weapon types, AF body swap on BLM, and some other stuff, but trying to implement it for every toggle for every job is absolute madness.

Also, every one requires you to make an extra copy of all your equipsets.

Engaged PDL no DT low acc
Engaged PDL high DT low acc
Engaged PDL no DT high acc

Per job. If you play 22 jobs, you have 9 equipsets per job.

Guess you're logging out to load different equipsets and macros when you change jobs now!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL. Try doing it.

...etc.

I am not talking about that. there is shortcut to take you DIRECTLY to take you to the macro set if you bothered to actually learn the game. in a SINGLE set of keystrokes (as in ONE since you clearly do not understand that pressing up multiple times is not a single set of strokes) you can change to the appropriate row.

Thanks, welcome back to the point I made 3 posts ago. I'll highlight it for you.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 16:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL. Try doing it.

...etc.

I am not talking about that. there is shortcut to take you DIRECTLY to take you to the macro set if you bothered to actually learn the game. in a SINGLE set of keystrokes (as in ONE since you clearly do not understand that pressing up multiple times is not a single set of strokes) you can change to the appropriate row.

Thanks, welcome back to the point I made 3 posts ago. I'll highlight it for you.
Sir. You are developmentally challenged and refuse to learn how to read. You do not need to dedicate any macro space to any of this whatsoever because it is a default SE keybind. Click on the hyperlink and READ
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sir. You are developmentally challenged and refuse to learn how to read. You do not need to dedicate any macro space to any of this whatsoever because it is a default SE keybind.

OK humor me then. You're presently on macro book 11, set 2. What's the keybind to change to macro book 8, set 3?
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 16:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The keybind is to not organize your macros for a single job across multiple books. Then you read This *** line in the hyperlinked wiki page for macros.
(Ctrl or Alt) + Shift + [0-9] Change the current macro set
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If only someone had already addressed that. You should work on your reading comprehension.

Quote:

Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-27 16:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Its a very minor example, but a minor example is all thats needed to articulate where the line is.

Okay, but gearswap is still performing analysis to determine when your cast ends and thus, when your aftercast gear should be put on. Again, this time can vary with addle, instant cast procs, and such. So, you are back to being a bot because a reaction is occuring. If it were a dead wait like old spellcast, then I assume it would be automation by your standards, but this isn't.

If this is ok, what if I press a macro to cast cure 3 when the optimal time occurs. Also, I add similar macros for every other spell. Then, I mash all of them.
I still consider that automation, but its right along the line, just like the idle set determination is right on the other side. The act could be done manually, with the main factor being SEs limitations.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-27 16:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Atleast Thorny and I can have a civilized discussion.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 16:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Every single sentence you speak shows you either don't understand what the hell you're talking about or your gear/macro organization was designed in a pit of hell. Why are your macros so horrifically designed that they need extra books when vanilla scholar can fit it's entire toolkit within one?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 16:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Here you go, say you're a DRK with 3 weapons (club, GS, sword) and you have these toggles:
Weapon
DT
Acc

You have macros for:
Club/Low/Low
Club/High/Low
Club/High/High
Club/High/Low
Sword/Low/Low
Sword/High/Low
Sword/High/High
Sword/Low/High
GS/Low/Low
GS/High/Low
GS/High/High

...***, gotta go to another macro set. Don't even have space for a PDL toggle yet, or a Scythe toggle. I thought this was going to be SIMPLER?!
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 17:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So you could have just added two macros to each bar for judgement and Savage blade or combined them into fencer sets but decided to take up three extra macro bars/rows? Yeah. You're just ***at this.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-27 17:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you only ever have to use a single WS for each weapon, that's great. Good luck if you want to use Flat Blade or RLB, or any other WS to make any skillchain.

How about DRK using Scythe and GS? Same macros for those too? Are you wearing a Schere earring in your GS engaged set?

Are we mixing DRG Polearm macros with Staff macros as well, just use 2 WS each?
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-09-27 17:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The harder you argue this the worse you convince me you are at macro management and I wonder how you escape your bedsheets in the morning.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gavroches
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-09-27 17:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m confused because sometimes I feel maletaru can’t stand non-vanilla folks and sometimes he proves the point why people use lua and s h i t. I could be the confused one as the ESL dude here. But at least he brings conversations, I give him that.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11