Does Square Understand Why We Love Final Fantasy?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » does Square understand why we love final fantasy?
does Square understand why we love final fantasy?
By Afania 2024-10-21 06:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Asura.Thunderjet said: »
I mean from magic to story to gameplay it all went down hill since FF12 WTf is going on do people really like the Action gameplay of 16 am genuinely asking because i loved the ATB Turn based and the Hybrid from ff7 remake lets not forget postgame content!

Let's suppose for a moment that SE has a brain and knows what their doing. (I know, I know...)

I think the market that SE tries to appeal to, consists mostly of younger, Gen Z gamers. I don't know if SE even has data to suggest that most of their customers are in this age-range, BUT ... let's face facts. Their brains have come dopamine-addled and everything they interact with boils down to continuous stream of near-instant gratification.

How many people in this thread used to have a 1 TV household as as a kid? Or if you couldn't find the remote, you just watched what was on TV? Shoot ...I'm certain some of us even had to GET UP to change the channel on the damn TV.

But Today? Even if only just 10 years ago, a 3-year old can navigate Youtube on an iPad and watch whatever they want at a moment's notice. They don't have to wait more than a fraction of a second to decide if they want to continue watching something or just flip to the next channel.

Why is anyone surprised that the "market currently demands" action RPGs? If we're lucky, the pendulum will swing back again, in another 20 years, and we'll get ATB turn-based RPGs delivered to us Holodeck form.

Genre preference has nothing to do with age imo....

Action games have been more "mainstream" since the 90s. Mario, Sonic, and countless arcade beat them up games. Also I don't think the 20m people buying Black Myth Wukong or Elden ring are all younger audiences. Some of them has to be 40s gamers.

Back in the 90s turn based jrpg was popular because of the narrative aspect and build/character progression systems that action games didn't have. These days even action games have narrative and character progression system, as well as builds variety. The incentive to stick with turn based has decreased.

I am not saying turn based is a bad genre(I still play them occasionally, and it has it's audiences), but I don't think this is age issue at all.
By K123 2024-10-21 06:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Like I said: I have nothing of value to contribute as ever and cannot formulate a rational argument.

Know what, nvm.
Stay true to yourself.
By K123 2024-10-21 06:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think younger people find ff tactics and triangle strategy as appealing as people who are older and have nostalgia about such games which were created because there wasn't the graphic power to do what is possible today. I'd love to see an age break down of people that bought triangle strategy or the tactics remake.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-21 15:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fire Emblem has proven that youth will get into strategy RPGs so long as there's a dating simulator attached making for extended replay value because you gotta wife up every anime hottie, and there's even gay options (and incest family trees, yeehaw).

People are mistaking the reasoning for why action games are more popular now.

It's not that RPGs were once more popular than those, it's that serious adult gamers were a niche and the RPGs appealed to adults, rather than to children, for the most part.

You guys gotta get around on some other forums sometime, but basically, there's an age old CRPG fan vs. JRPG fan who views console RPGs of any age as, "For kiddies" compared to things like Ultima or other RPGs that used text based command for interface and had more emphasis on player choice. And kill the possessed toddlers dungeon rooms.

Like, Afania is pointing out that action games sold way more in the past, too, but that's because older action games were generally made for the arcade/for kids. RPGs made for kids also sold hand over fist (Pokemon).

I'm sure you guys ran into the people who asked why you were doing a kids activity even as you were playing games like Xenogears. There was big myopic confusion on what games and gaming entailed and what was for who.

There still is to a small degree, but since gaming hit the mainstream that's diminished severely. Gaming is for "everyone" and "everyone" is whoever will pay money for whatever reason. Gen Z is surely a huge focus, but there's also other demos that are taken into serious consideration, most of which is average Joe Schmoe who doesn't know much past Greek or Norse myth, and most of that he's gotten from MCU. I say he, but you know, it's just as likely to be she or... "they" cause that's a whole block now too.

The identity of adult gamers is now myriad relative to what it was in the 80s/90s, and the developers/creatives aren't in control of what's getting made. It's suits at the top who are looking at their "insight dashboards" and ***like that.
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-10-21 17:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two kids that love games. Ones an honors student the other a bizarre mathematic genius.....

....and if SE made a game called "Peppa Pig vs The Bloody Puddles" they'd play the hell out of it laughing their *** off all the way and would want every single expansion...

tldr;
Kids these days are morons, stop pretending they aren't.

Making profits is easy if you keep it simple, making art is a challenge. Attempting to do both just pisses off everyone.
By Jetackuu 2024-10-21 17:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
It absolutely is the best FF title.

Just under 3 and a half hours left of the day for someone to top this ***take.

Just because you're uncultured doesn't make it a ***take.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2024-10-21 20:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »

Just under 3 and a half hours left of the day for someone to top this ***take.

Just because you're uncultured doesn't make it a ***take.

It absolutely is a gigantic ***take. I've read some pretty wild things, but to preach that FF8 is the best in the series is a pretty *** bonehead thing.
By Afania 2024-10-21 20:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Like, Afania is pointing out that action games sold way more in the past, too, but that's because older action games were generally made for the arcade/for kids. RPGs made for kids also sold hand over fist (Pokemon).

If this is the case, how do you explain action rpg like Wukong or Elden Ring massively outsold persona 5 and FFX?(pretty much the best selling turn based jrpg that isn't Pokemon in the history)

Pretty sure Elden ring/Wukong aren't made for kids..

Another point of reference is in 2000s, Diablo massively outsold Fallout too. And Diablo is loot focused arpg, Fallout is turn based crpg with tons of text.

I think the reason why Pokemon sold well is because it is Pokemon, not because turn based. Palworld is real time (I think) Pokemon-like and it sold better than most Pokemon games in the series except 1 title (scarlet/violet), I think it'll eventually surpass scarlet/violet too.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2024-10-21 21:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, in regards to FFX, it was a PlayStation exclusive back in the day, so that might have skewed the sales then. I wouldn't say Elden Ring massively outsold it, they both put out some pretty impressive numbers. I mean, FFX doubled P5's sales.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-21 21:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

If this is the case, how do you explain action rpg like Wukong or Elden Ring massively outsold persona 5 and FFX?(pretty much the best selling turn based jrpg that isn't Pokemon in the history)

Pretty sure Elden ring/Wukong aren't made for kids..

Another point of reference is in 2000s, Diablo massively outsold Fallout too. And Diablo is loot focused arpg, Fallout is turn based crpg with tons of text.

I think the reason why Pokemon sold well is because it is Pokemon, not because turn based. Palworld is real time (I think) Pokemon-like and it sold better than most Pokemon games in the series except 1 title (scarlet/violet), I think it'll eventually surpass scarlet/violet too.

You missed the forest for the trees man. The point of my post was that games that target younger people generally outsell those that don't, regardless of genre. And it's mostly always been that way, and most of the time in the past it was action oriented games/platformers.

So answering your current questions would be kind of pointless, cause you missed my point in the first place.
By Afania 2024-10-22 05:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The point of my post was that games that target younger people generally outsell those that don't, regardless of genre. And it's mostly always been that way, and most of the time in the past it was action oriented games/platformers.

RPGs made for kids

Young adults or kids? Those aren't exactly the same demographic.

Here is top selling video games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Also if you Google each title's demographic, Pokemon's main audiences is actually 20-29, Minecraft is 15-21. While I can see teens and young adults loving GTAV, I feel Red dead redemption's target audience is much older.

In case of Mario kart 8, it's mostly 18-29 followed by 30-44 according to statista.

If age 20-30 are "young adults" then yeah, this demographic probably dominate most genre. They are barely kids though, nor kids demographic having that much stronger purchasing power advantage imo.
By Chimerawizard 2024-10-22 12:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
FF8 was a dogshit game. If you know much about it you can get OP very quick and breeze through the game, then beating Omega is just 100% luck based depending on if you get Lion Heart or not.

I'd love a modded version that was actually challenging and removed luck based winning which isn't really present in other FF before 12.

It isn't luck you're just bad at it. There are better ways to beat it.
Just play longer. More TripleTriad. More porting of PocketStation (that is the chocobo 8-bit right?).
You can get soo many holy wars and aura stones to just fight Omega longer. It's not a problem of luck, you just grind more.

However, you can beat basically everything at Lv.1, easily. Normally a Lv.1 playthrough of the game is meant to be the challenge mode, not easy mode for the game. The story in 8 was also the worst of the PS1/PS2 titles. Battle system? novel, ya, but endless DRAWing for all your new magics is rage inducing trash of a system. magic are items in FF8 and I hate it.

All that said, FF8 was my first turn based JRPG and I love it despite it's glaring faults.
By K123 2024-10-22 12:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

For Holy War you just convert a card then keep winning it again on the airship on disc 4...
By Dodik 2024-10-22 12:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The way to beat FF8 is to grind grind grind, over level, and get Lionheart. It's not hard, but you need the walkthrough. I loved FF8 but best FF? 2nd best for me, and because of the story mostly.

Like Ody V25, you only need luck if you're bad at it. (giggety)
By Pantafernando 2024-10-22 12:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

While it isnt easy to swallow at first the objectification of magic, considering i never was a mage intensive player, so it doesnt affect me as much: im not casting less because of that.

And magics allow you to grind early and become superpowered early what adds some open world feature that only add good points of it.

Resorting to cards or other grinds to find early magic/items add more of that to, so, in the end, FF8 is a FUN game to play.

Storywise, i kinda like the high school vibes it gives, though i dont particularly think the story that good, unless you consider the Squall is desd theory, then it becomes kinda unique.

About Omega, im not sure how its that RNG if you can spam Renzokuken to trigger Lionheart, and just keep the others reviving Squall at low HP for more Renzokuken spam
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-22 13:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

8 is definitely the oddball in the 5-9 ps1 era.

5, 6, 7, 9 are your standard fare jrpg. jobs, magic, gear, abilities, all the typical stuff.

8... has no gil drops. magic is.. a nuisance. it's like,impossible to find screws feathers pipes and leathers without a guide, and then you can't afford the upgrades anyway cause you never took the rank tests to get gil and it's impossible to earn gil. Can't fast travel because again no gil to rent a car. And if you meander, they reduce your paycheck! It's also a really jumbled story.

It's differences make it stand out. The nail that sticks out gets hammered. You either love 8 or despise 8. There's no in between.

Your first playthrough as a 10 year old you could blindly figure out 5,6,7,9 but 8, man you cant figure out ***! no gear to buy, no weapon upgrades, cant find half the magic, miss half the summons(who are your 'gear') And as you level up the drops change! When you're level 10 there is a different drop pool than when youre 40, that shits crazy. it's a sucky blind playthrough comparatively.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-10-22 13:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

8 was the first one I got, because I played it at a friend's and I couldn't get a ps1 until much later. I liked that I didn't feel pressured to level up because things leveled with me, and junctions were super cool (being able to tailor en-effects and resistances so dynamically gave a ton of character customization). I didn't really miss the equipment aspect, because junctions filled that niche.

In retrospect, it was a cluster**** compared to the other games and it certainly didn't have amazing balance or intuitive design. But, it was still fun.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-22 14:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My first playthrough, while a kid, I managed to progress because I used to abuse summons. As they aare super atrong, you be carried through the game without understanding the mechanics: upgrades when somehow you had the mats, and junctions only with auto-junctions.

Only downside in resorting to summons was Ultimecia, with her auto GF kill. I think my first playthrough i managed by persevering with meds/curing spells and auto attacks.

Thoguh my first playthrough was a mess because i was frsh from FF7, and ended playing the japanese version of FF8 (the english one only would come years later, but i didnt understand english anyway).

Most progression with the help of physocal guides, that also had story translations.

So many memories
By K123 2024-10-22 15:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked FF8, when it came out and a few more plays. Last time I played it and knew the game more it is utter ***because of how early you can get extremely OP though.

FF9 is the best game.
By K123 2024-10-22 15:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically Desert Weapon in FF7 is completely dumb when you realise you can keep it perma paralyzed too.