New Games Suck... Or Is It Just Me?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » New games suck... or is it just me?
New games suck... or is it just me?
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-09-21 08:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Shes a higher quality nerd that us!
Incorrect. She has stated that these games that came out in the early 2000s are old. Oblivion is barely old enough to vote, for pete's sake!

Also WoW nerds are inherently inferior to most other nerds, because WoW helped make being a nerd mainstream and OK. Thus dooming actual nerds to watch their beloved hobbies and old loves be swallowed up by all these NOOBS by today's era.

Plus they say ***like TOON for character, which automatically makes them sub-human filth. :^)
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-09-21 09:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Spell aeronautical engineering
Its easy with spell checkers.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-09-21 09:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

*** wow
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-21 11:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This is golden hahahs
I might translate this later, but in general this is about reviewers selling themselves to publishers to keep getting games and other things. The example used here is specifically Ubisoft taking people to Disneyland as part of the reward for good press for SW: outlaws.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-21 14:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like conspiracy theories
By SimonSes 2024-09-21 18:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

You mean Ubisoft bribing influencers/reviewers with VIP Disneyland is conspiracy theory? It was pretty loud case, covered by half of the internet. Google it.
By Afania 2024-09-22 03:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

You mean Ubisoft bribing influencers/reviewers with VIP Disneyland is conspiracy theory? It was pretty loud case, covered by half of the internet. Google it.

It's hardly conspiracy theory, it's a very VERY common practice in the field of business. Not just game companies, plenty of companies do that. Restaurants buy or bribe for positive reviews on Facebook and google. Sometimes even give customers free stuff if they post 5 stars on Facebook. There are marketing companies openly offering fake positive review spam services like this.

There are even business strategy books teaching business owners how to find correct influencer to market a product.

It's really that common.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-22 09:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I was mocking Afania/Viciouss
By Afania 2024-09-22 09:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The statement that I don't believe is true is the "DEI caused bugs" one lol. I just don't see how being a minority or woman affects your ability to spot very obvious bugs.

If you tell me game companies bribe/pay influencers for positive reviews, I may believe it because I know tons of business are doing that already.

I view every statements individually and I don't judge if they are true or not based on their political stance. I judge how true each statement is based on personal life experience and evidence available.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-09-22 09:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats why none wants to be your friend!
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-09-22 10:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
It's hardly conspiracy theory, it's a very VERY common practice in the field of business. Not just game companies, plenty of companies do that.

Every industry does this. Several companies I've worked for paid to be in the 'Top 10 of <xyz>', some of the most renown scoring organizations are paid rankings provided they meet some basic criteria. Some industries you can't find a single legitimate "review", but people buy into it because the presentation format is well put together and polished compared to independent reviewers that aren't paid off.

In other cases these folks, paid or not, post a contrary review with catchy taglines just to get more views, I watched someone gain 300k+ followers in a few weeks this way and the entire review was ***. If you put out a YT video that is well produced, you can convince a large # of people of anything and they'll fight to their dying breath even when given proof they were bought and paid for. The way you present yourself and how much effort you put into production is valued much higher than the truth or content.

If anything, the gaming industry has more legitimate, small reviewers that aren't paid for their content than any other industry I really pay attention to.
[+]
By Viciouss 2024-09-22 11:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Unsuccessfully.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-22 13:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats another conspiracy
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-22 14:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Afania said: »
It's hardly conspiracy theory, it's a very VERY common practice in the field of business. Not just game companies, plenty of companies do that.

Every industry does this. Several companies I've worked for paid to be in the 'Top 10 of <xyz>', some of the most renown scoring organizations are paid rankings provided they meet some basic criteria. Some industries you can't find a single legitimate "review", but people buy into it because the presentation format is well put together and polished compared to independent reviewers that aren't paid off.

In other cases these folks, paid or not, post a contrary review with catchy taglines just to get more views, I watched someone gain 300k+ followers in a few weeks this way and the entire review was ***. If you put out a YT video that is well produced, you can convince a large # of people of anything and they'll fight to their dying breath even when given proof they were bought and paid for. The way you present yourself and how much effort you put into production is valued much higher than the truth or content.

If anything, the gaming industry has more legitimate, small reviewers that aren't paid for their content than any other industry I really pay attention to.
Sounds like relying on reviewers is *** and the high seas is the way to go.

Though steam does have a very solid no questions asked refund policy?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-22 18:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting this one again in light of the current discussion:
https://www.thegamer.com/trust-video-game-reviewers/
[+]
 Asura.Questaru
By Asura.Questaru 2024-09-22 22:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Retro gaming is big right now. People like lady decade on youtube
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-23 19:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the mindset of people who demand inclusion in video games:
https://x.com/memeslich/status/1837303320894947404

How does someone whos legs are deadweight have completely jacked legs that most power lifters would be envious of? Asking because I want to be able to sit at home playing games all day just to be half as ripped.
By Zehira 2024-09-24 13:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

https://x.com/Grummz/status/1838565393159594481

Hopefully, that's a good thing!
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-24 13:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought you were gonna link the post about IGN pulling a 2020 election and adjusting Wukongs GOTY votes overnight (when the Chinese people are awake and noticed the numbers dropping realtime and screencapped everything)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-25 09:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys
Help me out here
What do they mean by "burn the games industry to the ground"?? [1:58 - 2:51]

Oh, and of course Viciouss is gonna chime in with "wellllllllllll is that reallllllllly who they are and do they realllllllly work for SBI?"
The video is hosted on the Game Devs of Color Expo channel
Here is one source, here is another

So once again, what do they mean by "burn the games industry to the ground" considering how multiple game studios that the cancer known as SBI has worked with ultimately got shut down??
[+]
By Drayco 2024-09-25 11:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

After 24 insane pages, I'll circle around to the reason this post was created.

I'm about 18hrs into Final Fantasy 16 and I'm kind of torn on how I feel about it. It really doesn't have much of a Final Fantasy feel to it.... BUT it is really good.

I think this point came up, but it makes me wonder what really makes a Final Fantasy. I am very engaged with the story and characters. The writing and acting is top notch so far, the graphics are gorgeous, the music and sound is great... but I feel like there isn't much of a sense of exploration. The world feels small and disconnected with the emphasis on fast travel everywhere. The weapons and armor feel like they're just given to you so far, but I can see late game you might need to grind for some stuff.

The fighting is trivial at best if you use the "story mode accessories", but even without those assists nothing is hard. I do have to admit I really enjoy how they've made battles feel completely connected to the story. Just a quick freeze frame to show your drops and exp, then right back into the story without interupting any animations.

I do hope the game opens up a bit more towards the end. FF15 did, but I never felt like FF15 was as small and isolated as 16 feels so far. That said, there is some epic stuff. FF15 hooked me with the Titan fight and 16 really started to get me with the same thing heading to Garuda.
By Zehira 2024-09-25 11:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys
Help me out here
What do they mean by "burn the games industry to the ground"?? [1:58 - 2:51]

Sounds like they want to encourage cops to play SBI games and stop killing their people or they burn Wendy's to the ground.

/shrug
By Afania 2024-09-25 12:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Drayco said: »
I think this point came up, but it makes me wonder what really makes a Final Fantasy. I am very engaged with the story and characters. The writing and acting is top notch so far, the graphics are gorgeous, the music and sound is great... but I feel like there isn't much of a sense of exploration. The world feels small and disconnected with the emphasis on fast travel everywhere. The weapons and armor feel like they're just given to you so far, but I can see late game you might need to grind for some stuff.

If you get into a game expecting every aspect of the game is 10/10 masterpiece then 99% of the time you'll be disappointed.

There are a lot of games that I really liked that's only 6-7/10 or even 4.5/10 on metacritic. I only like one very specific thing(generally a unique mechanic) in those low score games. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

Better just embrace one aspect that a game did well and forget about the bad part of a game. You'll enjoy games more this way.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-25 21:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Money talks. Blackrock is probably content to take a hit to send their *** messages, but they are just part of the shareholders and the other investors of the publicly traded company may not be as willing to burn money like that over and over.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ubisoft/comments/1fcop2r/ubisoft_shares_slump_after_investor_urges/
This actually popped up THREE hours after I made this post.

Another far-right conspiracy thats come true!
https://www.thegamer.com/ubisoft-being-investigated-by-board-after-assassins-creed-shadows-delay/

What started as one smalltime investor with less than 1% share of the company stating dissatisfaction has become an official investigation by the board.

Author of the article just couldnt resist closing out laying blame of the problems on the far-right chuds opposed to the company producing slop.
Quote:
This is most likely in reference to several controversies that have surrounded both Star Wars Outlaws and Assassin's Creed Shadows recently, as the games feature a woman and a black person as protagonists respectively.
Yeah, SW Outlaws low sales stem from "a woman protagonist", not the game being an absolute buggy travesty.
By Zehira 2024-09-26 00:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Japan has always been against SBI, DEI, Woke, etc... The shareholders of Square Enix pressed to remove the company from SBI's client list. Who knows if Square Enix already has its own DEI department but Japanese are frustrated. Square Enix is a Japanese company so why is it so hard to accept what they want?

https://x.com/kyabetsuhuman/status/1838513019720249556

https://x.com/nanazakana/status/1838539462386569353

Ubisoft cancelled its plans for the Tokyo Game Show out of embarrassment because of AC: Shadows (due to historical accuracy).

https://gamerant.com/ubisoft-tokyo-game-show-2024-plans-canceled-ac-shadows/
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-09-26 03:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

*** cringe. And what am I looking at anyways? Is this a man, a woman, or something in between? Can't even tell
By Dodik 2024-09-26 04:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think you're supposed to even bring up gender anymore buddy.
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-26 07:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Is this a man, a woman, or something in between? Can't even tell

This person claimed to be non-binary so you are not supposed to tell!

But their gender don't matter, what bothered me the most isn't their gender, it's them spending 30 min for a presentation that can be summarized in a few sentences.

Q: what is a genre?
A: it's that often you don't know genre until you FEEL it.

30 min of narrative design presentation talking about feels man. I guess I can open a workshop and seminar about narrative design too. I just need to talk about the importance of feelings and emotions for 30 mins.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-26 08:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
*** cringe. And what am I looking at anyways? Is this a man, a woman, or something in between? Can't even tell
Its the modern audience your games are explicitly being made for, its not for you so don't buy it.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-26 08:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Any other of my fellow "cant handle a female lead character in their video games because they hate women" fellowship picking up the new Zelda game today?
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27