How Could SE Realistically Improve Modern FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How could SE realistically improve modern FFXI?
How could SE realistically improve modern FFXI?
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-07 14:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

At #7 stop being an efficiency nazi

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good"

1 is always higher than 0, it's not 2 but it's not 0
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-06-07 14:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Ok fine, remove efficiency. The cycle still continues even if that's not a factor.

Their friend left, brother quit, found another static who isn't reliant on pugs, etc. There is a laundry list of reasons and efficiency isn't the only one. It's like I said earlier in the thread, one person leave creates a cascading effect of people quitting or leaving the group.

and remember, some content requires max efficiency. If you are trying to clear a v25, you aren't pulling someone in that's never done Odyssey before and expecting to get anywhere.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gavroches
Server: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-06-07 14:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I’m at the point where I rather play and have a good chat with mind related friends at the end of the day. Some most night, some twice a week, some days content, some just figuring ***for when we all on. People life’s change, people move on, people might come back, there’s definitely new player on server, it’s actually really enjoyable to help others on unlock, help them understand and discover, game has a lot to offer, most discord I have access to are busy, chatting FFXI or other stuff, most people actually hang out on XI/discord like people use to at the bar/fire, it’s just different.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-07 14:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bench warmers are great until they find a team that puts them in the starting lineup.

Oops bench warmer gone, unless you thought someone was paying $13 bucks a month to do sortie and sheol once a month with your squad.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-07 14:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leader: “Jimmys kid is sick, he cant play, you want to do Sortie xxxsefirofxxx”
Xxxsefirofxxx: “nah went with my other group already”
Leader:
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-07 14:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »

Ok fine, remove efficiency. The cycle still continues even if that's not a factor.

Their friend left, brother quit, found another static who isn't reliant on pugs, etc. There is a laundry list of reasons and efficiency isn't the only one. It's like I said earlier in the thread, one person leave creates a cascading effect of people quitting or leaving the group.

and remember, some content requires max efficiency. If you are trying to clear a v25, you aren't pulling someone in that's never done Odyssey before and expecting to get anywhere.

If your pool of humans you can draw from is greater than 1, when that one leaves it's not an issue. Meet. Humans. Interact. Socially.

When you static you only handicap yourself long term for short term gain. And then you do it again. And again. Break the cycle.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-07 14:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Leader: “Jimmys kid is sick, he cant play, you want to do Sortie xxxsefirofxxx”
Xxxsefirofxxx: “nah went with my other group already”
Leader:

The conversation goes like this for us:
Me: /l anyone want to do a seg farm?
Anyone from LS: sure I have a tag, I'll go
Me: Sounds good, cmon over

If nobody's available, we'll bring one of our twoboxes (or two of them). This (along with my huge bias) is why I think 2boxing is helpful, but 6-boxing sucks.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-07 14:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

In a conversation about why multibox is bad and should be one char per player in response to the current endgame climate:
“I multibox if we cant find a 6th its no big deal”

Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-06-07 14:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Me: /l anyone want to do a seg farm?
Anyone from LS: sure I have a tag, I'll go
Me: Sounds good, cmon over

Now do this every night for the content over and over, only to have other people leave and require other slots to fill. Repeat over and over, then you'll see why it gets frustrating when you are constantly trying to pull a party of competent players together every night.

It's less about filling a single slot every few nights when someone is out or even on a regular basis, it's about the cascading effect that happens when a person leaves and ultimately results in the group disbanding because of the uncertainty, among other things.

I agree in theory what you post above should work on a regular basis, but my observation is that in practice it doesn't. People would rather quit than sit on the sidelines and the people in the group end up leaving, creating an effect that results in the rest of the group disbanding even if they can pull from a wider pool for a little while.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-07 14:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No one quits and leaves if the 6 man content is alliance based (or even 12 person limit, make it 10 since “if you have 12, you can go 6x2) because theyre not on the sidelines riding pine.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-07 14:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't trying to deny your lived experience or say that groups/people don't get upset about having to fill in, more trying to point out that, in my experience, there are a fair number of people who are not ready for endgame but still wouldn't mind getting some segs/muffins, and recognize that they won't be a fulltime member of your group, while it can still be mutually beneficial for both the group and the "sub" to join up sometimes.

I'm sure everyone's situation is different and I'm SURE that the culture on Asura is different, but I and my friends view it mostly as a fun thing to do together rather than a pressing need to get all the shinies as quickly and efficiently as possible. I've known most of the people in the LS for years, some decades, and nobody's going to abandon each other because we wiped on a boss or because we aren't killing a V25 and 9 Sortie bosses every night.

I've been in a few statics over the past few years and had lots of members come and go, but I can't think of a single person who left for "greener pastures" to join another more efficient or more regular group. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons for that, but it's just not been a part of my experience
By Dodik 2024-06-07 15:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The Pug problem is purely an Asura thing. Pug-ing just doesn't happen outside JP parties on other servers. And yes, the JP parties are welcoming if you are not an ***, which you can't be if you want to get in any party on a small server.

We regularly bring not quite geared people in seg farms and some limited sortie runs. Those people are not playing support jobs either and expect support to just magically happen, usually via someone boxing it.
By Meeble 2024-06-07 15:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never met a competent multiboxer who refused actual players instead of their alts. Not a single one.

People multibox for different reasons. Some don't want to deal with other players, or enjoy the unique challenge of automating an encounter more than the gameplay itself. Others prefer playing with real people, but want reliable support either to fill in when needed or to make solo chores faster/easier.

If SE was able to enforce a multibox ban, the first type of player would probably quit, because you've entirely removed the thing they enjoyed about the game. The second type are already playing with others when they can.

Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
Personally, I’m at the point where I rather play and have a good chat with mind related friends at the end of the day. Some most night, some twice a week, some days content, some just figuring ***for when we all on.

This is a very healthy attitude to have and a great way to enjoy the game; It's a shame that high-tier Ody and the Prime grind penalize this kind of playstyle so harshly.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-06-07 16:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Draylo said: »
There's probably less than 10% of players capable of 6 boxing every single content alone.
I don't know of anyone else who's 6boxed bumba v25, or the more difficult T3s for that matter. But, it doesn't really matter if you can 6box the hardest content in the game.

Me either, but I said it just in case that one person comes out with some video or something to be cool lol. I was just saying that because the other poster thought you could 6 box everything in the game and never need another player. It isn't true, and that is actually a good thing that SE made content engaging enough that multi boxers are actually less efficient than a real team. The issue is there is few of that content.. because they are putting out content super slowly. If there were a lot more of that content and with alliance style events to back it up like we've always had, it would have you seeing more people team up to do it. That has nothing to do with multi boxers, its all about SE and their content droughts.

Realistically multi boxers only take away from ambuscade and exping. I don't see why at this stage in the game someone would actively want a mule over a willing real player when its more efficient overall.

Quote:
Once people get in the mindset of gearing all their mules, they hesitate to do content they can't bring them all to. Things feel like exponentially more work if you have to do them 6 times, and most people don't ever consider scaling back to less mules long term. The mule is there, it needs the shiny. Someone who chooses not to do the content(or quits the game entirely) because they can't bring their mules isn't helping the community any more than someone who 6boxes it successfully.

I don't know why someone would absolutely need to get their mules in over real people at this stage, I guess if the person was greedy enough to want weapons on them all for something like Sortie but even RP for Odyssey can be gotten easily for mules with the cheese methods. I guess they exist, but its a relatively newer problem and probably not as impactful.

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who multibox themselves and feel it's necessary to downplay the impact of it. I used to be one of them, but nowadays it's pretty clear to me that multiboxing and the widespread bots that enable it are one of the primary causes of the game's downfall. SE being lazy with content doesn't help things, but we've lost players throughout periods where content was new because there's much less socializing and it's harder for new players to make inroads through any method besides leeching.

Most know I multi box also, and have been for over a decade, but I feel the bigger issue is SEs lack of content. While multi boxing has hurt some forms of content, the overall worst thing is slow updates that cause people to quit and lower the pop numbers. I agree that its almost impossible to start caring at this point about multi boxers, unless they enforce on botting again and automated scripts. I suggested that in another thread and people got in a frenzy, but really you aren't combating it any other way. They would be more productive in creating literally any kind of new content than combating multi boxing at this point.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-06-07 17:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
I have never met a competent multiboxer who refused actual players instead of their alts. Not a single one.

People multibox for different reasons. Some don't want to deal with other players, or enjoy the unique challenge of automating an encounter more than the gameplay itself. Others prefer playing with real people, but want reliable support either to fill in when needed or to make solo chores faster/easier.

If SE was able to enforce a multibox ban, the first type of player would probably quit, because you've entirely removed the thing they enjoyed about the game. The second type are already playing with others when they can.

Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
Personally, I’m at the point where I rather play and have a good chat with mind related friends at the end of the day. Some most night, some twice a week, some days content, some just figuring ***for when we all on.

This is a very healthy attitude to have and a great way to enjoy the game; It's a shame that high-tier Ody and the Prime grind penalize this kind of playstyle so harshly.

They do, but really it doesn't matter much. I still don't get this "FOMO" that people keep discussing in regards to daily events. You aren't missing out on anything when we get content at the pace we are getting it. In 5 years from now people will still be doing sortie, there is absolutely no rush for anything.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-07 17:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

FOMO doesn't have to make sense. It's a made up thing.

It makes idiots panic to be suboptimal.

FOMO isn't really the proper word to convey the loss of efficiency that skipping a daily delivers, but the proper word doesn't exist.

Atychiphobia, maybe more accurate but it's not a fear of inefficiency. It's OCD. Obsession, Compulsion. Standard addictive "need" to do it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-06-07 21:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Well to bring this all back on topic

Quote:
How could SE realistically improve modern FFXI?

They could shut down the servers.

Boom, beer me.

Beer Me GIf
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-07 21:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Boom, beer me.
How bout a monster? On me. F IT! A round for the house, let's go!
[+]
By smii 2024-06-08 07:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I can fix this game. It's almost too easy.

Auction House is now unified across all servers. Free transfers off Asura.

Sortie and Odyssey are now alliance content with scaling, like Gaes Fete and Omen. Sortie gets the entry system from Omen.
All Segs and Galli gained increased by 250% and is maintained by a Vanabout like community activity thing.

Plop new Locus and Apex camps all through the [S] zones. Give these mobs a chance to drop a R/Ex force pop that can be used to kill some NM that gives 5k exemplar points and has a chance to drop a cape box that has an exemplar version of the Mecistopins Mantle from Incursion.

Augments for HTBF gear.

50% more polygons on mithra ***.

Small tear jerking story where Cornelia confesses to be Overly Attached Girlfriend and we unlock her trust forever.

All jobs Ambu capes for ***like fast cast or snapshot etc.

Give SMN buffs extreme potency increases to make it competitive with BRD COR GEO.

Start copypasta and remix old stuff to 119, ex. Limbus Lite, but no new armor, all stuff goes to augmenting new brutal and loq earrings with defined aug paths like nyame. Aug potency and slots could be unlocked by clearing the various wings.
[+]
By Taint 2024-06-08 08:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Alliance Sortie I think would go a long ways for the community and have little to no impact on anyone.

I wouldn't even scale the bosses, just let people do as much as they can in an hour. It would barely help 9/9 teams but help everyone else out in a positive way.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-08 08:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It really wouldn't though. It'd be exactly the same + 12 box leeches for the large majority. That's not helping anyone but the top get more mules done faster and then opens slots to sell. It's fun to play pretend and all but yeah.

While scaling doesn't appropriately address job disparity it kind of has to exist.

I know. "You", poster replying would never do that. You just have so many friends afraid to try it but if you could only carry them once they'd spread their wings and flourish! How dare I suggest it. How rude. Spare me the indignation.

The same trickle down sortie-nomics lie they've been selling your entire life. Let me do what I want and my mules gear will improve everyones experience when I put my 12 bards in their shouts.
By Taint 2024-06-08 08:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd 100% bring my alts but I also bring them now when needed. (see last pages discussion) You can't satisfy our player base but you can open the game up some.

Alliance would allow 7-18. The event would still have tons of time sinks between running and waiting for others who are running. Sortie is not hard content, its just a grind.

If some mules are purple who cares? Tons of them already exist. It would definitely help the player base in one way or another.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-06-08 08:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Add the ODD/ODT procs from Prime Weapons to:

WAR Retaliation dmg
MNK both hands
THF trick Attack bonus dmg
RDM enspell dmg
BLM elemental debuff durations
WHM stoneskin granted from cures (not full cure)
PLD enmity generated from WSs
DRK souleater dmg
BST pet autos
BRD debuff song duration no that's garbage, Mazurka Potency fixed
RNG double shot dmg, oh wait!
SMN pet autos
SAM number of attacks 3rd eye absorbs
NIN daken attacks
DRG jump dmg
BLU physical blue magic spells
COR no again, see RNG
PUP pet autos
DNC flourish 1 durations
SCH Adloquium potency
GEO dematerialize duration
RUN Swipe dmg

We aren't going to get new fancy weapons probably ever, might as well make the ones we are left with more desirable. Shield and Horn don't need anything, those jobs are already getting to use 2 Primes at once and not like RDM does...
By Nsane 2024-06-08 08:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

smii said: »
I can fix this game. It's almost too easy.

Auction House is now unified across all servers. Free transfers off Asura.

Sortie and Odyssey are now alliance content with scaling, like Gaes Fete and Omen. Sortie gets the entry system from Omen.
All Segs and Galli gained increased by 250% and is maintained by a Vanabout like community activity thing.

Plop new Locus and Apex camps all through the [S] zones. Give these mobs a chance to drop a R/Ex force pop that can be used to kill some NM that gives 5k exemplar points and has a chance to drop a cape box that has an exemplar version of the Mecistopins Mantle from Incursion.

Augments for HTBF gear.

50% more polygons on mithra ***.

Small tear jerking story where Cornelia confesses to be Overly Attached Girlfriend and we unlock her trust forever.

All jobs Ambu capes for ***like fast cast or snapshot etc.

Give SMN buffs extreme potency increases to make it competitive with BRD COR GEO.

Start copypasta and remix old stuff to 119, ex. Limbus Lite, but no new armor, all stuff goes to augmenting new brutal and loq earrings with defined aug paths like nyame. Aug potency and slots could be unlocked by clearing the various wings.

I have no idea why they should combine all auction houses across all severs into one, It would be easier just just to combine all the severs into two or three. Severs that are unused can be turned into instance spaces like Ambuscade, Sortie, Omen, Odyssey and so on. This would bring the player base up on those severs and we could actually make parties again and meet new people... maybe even do this thing call "PLAYING THE GAME". They done sever merges before and it's well pass due for another.

Of course there are other things that would have to be addressed as well like Spawn timers and RMT parties. Spawn timers would be probably be simple enough for them, but taking care of the RMT's would probably take them another twenty-two years to accomplish so I wouldn't hold my breath on anything be typed out here on this forum, not to mention this is not an JP forum so the chances of them even glancing in this direction are slim to none, you probably have a greater chance of winning the lottery or being patient zero of the next pandemic.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-08 08:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
its just a grind.

You can't understand that it's sole purpose is a grind and want the grind lessened in the same breath.

Nsane said: »
Worldwide AH solves all the problems of small servers while creating no congestion problems.

It would be a significant game health upgrade. (and a severe monetary downgrade)
 Asura.Reidden
user: Reiden
By Asura.Reidden 2024-06-08 08:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If they unlocked alliance stuff for Odyssey and Sortie, I would be open to shouting for people. I haven't done a pug in years cuz of that reason alone.
[+]
By Dodik 2024-06-08 08:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be easier just just to combine all the severs into two or three

Guaranteed to be least popular move ever and a sure fire way to get the official forums lit up with people annoyed at the sudden Asura-ness of their gameplay.

Literally no one outside Asura wants this.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-08 09:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The last place servers are so small if they were merged together during maint and no one lost their name/ls they wouldn't even notice it happened.
By Taint 2024-06-08 09:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
its just a grind.

You can't understand that it's sole purpose is a grind and want the grind lessened in the same breath.

Worldwide AH solves all the problems of small servers while creating no congestion problems.

It would be a significant game health upgrade. (and a severe monetary downgrade)

It would barely effect me, we do 9/9+++. Time running limits how much more we could squeeze into a run more than anything else. Maybe we get another 2-4k per run?

But you would see more shouts, or carries which would build up the player base as a whole. I don't see any downside.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26