Flippantry.com Is Down (SC Calculator)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Flippantry.com is down (SC Calculator)
Flippantry.com is down (SC Calculator)
 Asura.Sensarity
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-05-18 21:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My man even added a dark mode. Very cool.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-18 21:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Am I the only one who's memorized most skillchains from levels 1 to 4 and the key weaponskills skillchain properties for all their jobs?
Yes. Nerd.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-18 21:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You memorized a 4 step skillchain?

Me who memorized a 7-step skillchain:

the 7 step:
Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-18 21:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Me who memorized a 7-step skillchain:

the 7 step:
Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone > Cyclone
I love this post so much I am quoting the pics with it. Because all you sinners need some Scott Hall in your lives.
[+]
By Beau 2024-05-18 23:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice work on the calc! Having seen it it reminds me of a feature I think those building a longer skillchain would benefit from; when building a SC and selecting a WS step by step, it would be nice to have an undo-last-selected-WS button instead of Reset All so (especially in the case of building a longer SC) you can undo one step and go in a different direction to see other outcomes!

But nice, quickly done work regardless, I will bookmark and use this! (Fwiw I personally have never used a SC calc for Immanence, Pet abilities, or SMN bloodpacts)
 Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-05-19 00:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks! And, good idea, I remember wanting that myself. I will add that to my list. Hopefully SSL will kick in soon if anyone is getting "unsecure" https warnings.
VIP
By Lili 2024-05-19 06:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Lili said: »
It'd be almost trivial to make an addon that scans your party and tells you what skillchins are available (filtered by number of steps, desired element, and involved jobs). I might make it when I have some free time, in 2037.
There is https://github.com/Ivaar/Skillchains

It shows what can be used and how much time is left. Old as piss tho.

Guess how I know that you didn't fully read my post.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-05-19 11:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

No I have memorized how all the skill chain properties interact with each other from level 1 skillchains to level 4s.
For example scission>Liquefaction=Liquefaction type stuff or that gravitation>fragmentation=fragmentation. Im addition to the skillchain properties of the ws I use. I'm kinda shocked more people don't take the time to full understand how they all interact with each other. I don't need a calculator to figure out long multi steps just an idea of the ws available and the skill chain we want. Same thing like seeing a fusion active on a mob I don't need to think what ws to use I just know.

I assume your asking me and didn't fully understand the terminology I used. So each skill chain properties has a level from 1 to 3 based on how many properties are involved. Level 1 is a single element with 8 options, level 2 is 2 elements combined with only 4, level 3 is 4 elements with 2 options. Level 4 only actually exists in practice when you use a light or darkness ws with another of the same or finish off ab existing skill chain. Each elemental skillchain properties has multiple options to open and close at various levels. Hopefully that helps explain things a little more for others aswell
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-05-19 12:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-05-19 12:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No I have memorized how all the skill chain properties interact with each other from level 1 skillchains to level 4s.
For example scission>Liquefaction=Liquefaction type stuff or that gravitation>fragmentation=fragmentation. Im addition to the skillchain properties of the ws I use. I'm kinda shocked more people don't take the time to full understand how they all interact with each other. I don't need a calculator to figure out long multi steps just an idea of the ws available and the skill chain we want. Same thing like seeing a fusion active on a mob I don't need to think what ws to use I just know.

I assume your asking me and didn't fully understand the terminology I used. So each skill chain properties has a level from 1 to 3 based on how many properties are involved. Level 1 is a single element with 8 options, level 2 is 2 elements combined with only 4, level 3 is 4 elements with 2 options. Level 4 only actually exists in practice when you use a light or darkness ws with another of the same or finish off ab existing skill chain. Each elemental skillchain properties has multiple options to open and close at various levels. Hopefully that helps explain things a little more for others aswell

Wow! Yes wonderful, but it sounds like you can admit that you haven't memorized every property (in order) of every weapon skill in the game for all jobs right? So maybe there's a still a use for a "calculator"?

Personal knowledge is terrific, obviously it's wonderful that you can see "fusion" and react to it accordingly. That is generally not what people are using SC "calculators" for...
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-05-19 12:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaius said: »

Wow! Yes wonderful, but it sounds like you can admit that you haven't memorized every property (in order) of every weapon skill in the game for all jobs right? So maybe there's a still a use for a "calculator"?

Personal knowledge is terrific, obviously it's wonderful that you can see "fusion" and react to it accordingly. That is generally not what people are using SC "calculators" for...
You dont need to memorize every ws in the game just the important ones and once you understand how base skillchains work you just need properties and can go. But thats me, I also have a huge pet peeve of asking someone what they're ws properties are and them going makes light or makes darkness as those are very vague and not exactly useful. Partially why I have so many memorized is because so many meat head dps cant effectively read the help bar lol
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 12:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I also have a huge pet peeve of asking someone what they're ws properties are and them going makes light or makes darkness as those are very vague and not exactly useful.

This is too real. Every one of my friends says things like "such and such WS is a light-based WS" or similar.

I think virtually nobody actually understands the skillchain system beyond memorizing a few common SCs they make with their weapons/partners.

To be fair, I don't have the level of understanding you do and I think SE made it unnecessarily complex and not intuitive. Though there are plenty of other complex and non-intuitive systems that people have spent a lot of time understanding, but WS properties and SC seem to be immune to that.

I understand a little bit, mostly because of synthchains ironically, but I really should take the time to memorize the missing parts.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-05-19 15:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I also have a huge pet peeve of asking someone what they're ws properties are and them going makes light or makes darkness as those are very vague and not exactly useful.

This is too real. Every one of my friends says things like "such and such WS is a light-based WS" or similar.

I think virtually nobody actually understands the skillchain system beyond memorizing a few common SCs they make with their weapons/partners.

To be fair, I don't have the level of understanding you do and I think SE made it unnecessarily complex and not intuitive. Though there are plenty of other complex and non-intuitive systems that people have spent a lot of time understanding, but WS properties and SC seem to be immune to that.

I understand a little bit, mostly because of synthchains ironically, but I really should take the time to memorize the missing parts.

Yes synth chains made a huge difference in forcing my understanding of level 1 skillchains too! Its not to bad to figure out the rest afterwardsz. I remember a dyna d run with a full alliance a few years back before I had learned as much a as I donow asking 3 different wars the skillchain properties of upheaval and getting 3 different answers. Personally I think any good dd should atleast memorize how all the level 2 skillchains work and a couple of level ones that matter for their jobs.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-05-19 15:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

its things like looping t1s and shifting t2's i.e making a distortion off a fragmentation that would throw me off, but most weapons tend to have at least 1 basic multistep and even 1 or 2 looping t1 sc they can do

oooor you can just spam savage blade or torc/fudo etc and thats your sc there
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-05-19 15:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Beau said: »
Nice work on the calc! Having seen it it reminds me of a feature I think those building a longer skillchain would benefit from; when building a SC and selecting a WS step by step, it would be nice to have an undo-last-selected-WS button instead of Reset All so (especially in the case of building a longer SC) you can undo one step and go in a different direction to see other outcomes!

But nice, quickly done work regardless, I will bookmark and use this! (Fwiw I personally have never used a SC calc for Immanence, Pet abilities, or SMN bloodpacts)

Undo is live!
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-05-19 16:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one who's memorized most skillchains from levels 1 to 4 and the key weaponskills skillchain properties for all their jobs?
You are not, my good man.

Last Christmas when my brother was visiting I suggested some SC combos to him, and he opened up a calculator to verify them. I was SMH shaking my head about that. Bro couldn't even trust!

Been nice quality of life that they added in what properties WSes have when you look at them in the menu, too.

Can just open a chart on second monitor, and glance over it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-19 16:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
It'd be almost trivial to make an addon that scans your party and tells you what skillchins are available (filtered by number of steps, desired element, and involved jobs). I might make it when I have some free time, in 2037.
There is https://github.com/Ivaar/Skillchains

It shows what can be used and how much time is left. Old as piss tho.

Guess how I know that you didn't fully read my post.
HI LILI

I have re-read your post and have decided I am dumb as a dead rock. What am I missing!? Unless you are Ivaar??
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 17:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

She wants to make an addon that will parse the party and list available skillchains. Opposed to the current addon that reports what weaponskill you can do that will follow up with the last used WS.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 17:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not Lili, but I can read goodly.

Skillchains: tells you (for your weapon only) what skillchains you can make based on the property ALREADY ON the mob you're targeting.

Lili's thing: tells you (for all weapons in your party) what skillchains are theoretically possible. You can pick a number of steps you want to use, which element you want to pick, and filter off jobs (if you don't want to involve the WHM, for example).

I think the biggest problem you'd run into, TBH, is having WAY TOO MANY options. I put together a little program that would create SCs based on the weapons you choose and the SC you want and it spits out hundreds of options because there's a lot of different ways to get the thing you want. The hard part, IMO, is optimizing for the WS you want to use and ignoring the trash WS you don't want to use.

I did the same thing to avoid SC...input as many weapons as you want and then it spits out all the WS you can use with each other to avoid making any SC. The problem is, once again, the absolute monster volume of different WS you could use. The other problem is that you're only choosing to avoid SC, not choosing to target making a different kind of SC. You might, for example, want to make Light SC but avoid Dark (or water).

You can also make a program that has multiple different functions for each different scenario you want, which is kind of what I was working on, but there are just...so many different scenarios and most of the time it's just easier to look it up/try it yourself than to put in a ton of effort making a program that will tell you what you already know, or can easily deduce.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-19 17:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, dudes!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-05-19 20:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
You are not, my good man.

Last Christmas when my brother was visiting I suggested some SC combos to him, and he opened up a calculator to verify them. I was SMH shaking my head about that. Bro couldn't even trust!

Been nice quality of life that they added in what properties WSes have when you look at them in the menu, too.
You have my respect my good sir! I swear most people forget about the fact you can check the menu lol
VIP
By Lili 2024-05-20 05:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

She wants to make an addon that will parse the party and list available skillchains. Opposed to the current addon that reports what weaponskill you can do that will follow up with the last used WS.
Not Lili, but I can read goodly.

Skillchains: tells you (for your weapon only) what skillchains you can make based on the property ALREADY ON the mob you're targeting.

Lili's thing: tells you (for all weapons in your party) what skillchains are theoretically possible. You can pick a number of steps you want to use, which element you want to pick, and filter off jobs (if you don't want to involve the WHM, for example).

These guy lili (from the verb "to lili")

Quote:
I think the biggest problem you'd run into, TBH, is having WAY TOO MANY options. I put together a little program that would create SCs based on the weapons you choose and the SC you want and it spits out hundreds of options because there's a lot of different ways to get the thing you want. The hard part, IMO, is optimizing for the WS you want to use and ignoring the trash WS you don't want to use.

Once you realize that you don't need all possible data, it's a lot easier. It's relatively trivial to go through the list of all WSs and assign them a priority modifier (like, slightly deprioritize Shining Blade so it never shows up in the top results, deprioritize Atonement as a closer, prioritize Full/Armor Break as openers), plus add filters to the command.
Imagine a command like
//findsc 4 step element fire close with Expiacion
which would then only spit out the first 2-3 options available that would let you burst Fire on, which you could
//findsc without Shield Break
which would then refine the search excluding that one WS that you hadn't anticipated would appear in the results.

The code to find all possible SCs is already solved and is pretty fast, especially since this imaginary addon is only ran when invoked and not calculating everything six times per second, so the only part that needs to be designed from scratch is the filtering logic. It's not *that* hard, but it does need some insightful designing.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2024-05-21 20:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, cancelled my hosting.

https://flippant.github.io/
[+]
By drakefs 2024-05-22 20:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The hard part, IMO, is optimizing for the WS you want to use and ignoring the trash WS you don't want to use.

Add priority and a filter to lower the results. Only apply the filter if the results are > 5. Make said filter editable by the user, should they decide they want to use a niche\weak WS to make SCs.
By Beau 2024-05-23 00:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo Flippant can you make the website have a dark-mode, the white background is so bright! And thanks for keeping the calculator available!
By ByrdmanRanger 2024-05-24 08:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder