Square Enix expects loss of $140 million
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-07 09:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
However the seem to be worried still, he is nearly 80 afterall and when he passes there is going to be chaos no doubt.

Which is why half of those shares are not owned directly but instead held by trusts. Should he pass, his family continues owning half the company.

This is a major difference between Western and East Asian companies. Western companies change owners like underwear, being passed from entity to entity. East Asian companies tend to be owned and operated entirely by a single family with control being passed from parent to child.

Example is Samsung, who does far more then just electronics and is controlled by a single family.

https://www.androidauthority.com/who-owns-samsung-3249908-3249908/

East Asian companies rarely chase quarterly stock price and instead focus on long term gains. Of course they can still screw up big time, in SE's case they wanted to expand and grow into the western countries. The strategy was essentially to copy aspects from other games that were successful but with Final Fantasy branding and SE's strengths in atmosphere and graphic immersion.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-07 13:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
If there is a mega corp buying SE, I think that mega Corp is far more likely to be Sony than MS :p.
You'll have to have a PSN account to play FFXI tho.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-07 13:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-07 18:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Afania said: »
If there is a mega corp buying SE, I think that mega Corp is far more likely to be Sony than MS :p.
You'll have to have a PSN account to play FFXI tho.

While we're laughing, lets pour one out for our Hell Divers brethren.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2024-05-07 20:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

why? the community won in the helldivers vs sony situation.

SE fans have never been strong enough to go after their overlords to enact change.

i think it would be more likely they would pour one out for all of us
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-07 20:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

GetHelpNerd said: »
the community won in the helldivers vs sony situation
They DID! Real question: Will it recover tho?

SE fans have never been strong enough to go after their overlords to enact change
No comment.
 Asura.Questaru
By Asura.Questaru 2024-05-07 22:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Might as well bankrupt the company too, good riddance
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2024-05-08 01:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

SE fans have never been strong enough to go after their overlords to enact change.

They won in this one instance because they *** up. They sold HD2 in places you cannot technically have a PSN account, which is why they backed down after the backlash. All future games WILL have a PSN requirement going forward though, that is not going to change no matter who ***.

And honestly, I say this as someone who hasn't owned a Sony product since PS2 and hates Sony as a company, who gives a ***? Outside of, again, this situation where they *** up and sold it in the wrong places, why do you have an issue with making a PSN account and linking it? You did it for EA. You did it for Ubisoft. You did it for Epic. What is one more account in your 30+ account pile?

By all means, fight the fight and boycott or w/e, but this situation didn't blow up because people had to make a Sony account. It blew up because people had to make a Sony account and COULDN'T. Arrowhead studios knew PSN integration was coming, they planned for it 6 months in advance and also told everybody about it. People ignored it because they had to disable it at launch due to being unable to integrate it in time. Arrowhead aren't saviors either, like some people are proclaiming, they did jump on the bandwagon and pretend they were fighting for everyone though, and that they tried to get Sony to stop etc.

It's all just corporate ***.

(I'm speaking in general to everyone, not you, specifically)
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-08 06:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's absolutely the same corporate ***. First it's you need a login, then it's got pop ups and links to their store.

The reason Steam was giving refunds regardless of play time was simple. They are distributor daddy and they will keep their customers no matter what. They aren't giving anyone a reason to Epic store it up, no GoG, no Origin EA library, no discord, no game pass or PS+. They will sell the non-physical games to all the children, they aren't going to let anyone else try to strong arm customers by having no alternative, that's the job of their seasonal sales.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2024-05-08 07:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

we will never know for certain unless someone here is an exec at sony, but i would assume that it was more related to having overwhelmingly positive reviews go from that to negative in the span of a week and them worried about more backlash/losing sales.

i don't think the 10 people playing(hyperbole) in the countries that don't allow PSN effected their decision a whole lot.

brigading and protesting generally do work, unfortunately communities are rarely smart enough to do so when it comes to video games because there are so many simps
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-08 08:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

People are blowing the helldivers 2 thing up more than it is. Try those tactics on something a corpo actually cares about and see how they stand their ground like a starving dog with a bone.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-05-08 08:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Helldivers 2 is somewhat of a unique case as well, because the entire game world depends on the number of participants and actual participation. Something like FFXI had this in the form of Besieged, where people not being active can cause minor gameworld implications, but Helldivers 2 entire game world hinges on player participation and fulfilling objectives as a community. If those objectives aren't met then there are (supposedly) consequences.

If they are cutting players out, isolating users who don't want to sign up for PSN, and frustrating the playerbase then the entire gameworld would suffer and have a cascading effect on players morale and willingness to play more. It's supposedly more dynamic than anything else, which likely played a role as well.
[+]
By drakefs 2024-05-08 08:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i don't think the 10 people playing(hyperbole) in the countries that don't allow PSN effected their decision a whole lot.

Even for hyperbole, that is extremely wrong. To the point of being misleading.

This map shows the scale of the problem

Carbuncle.Samuraiking said: »
They won in this one instance because they *** up.

Kind of won. Sony blocked sales in non-PSN country and have not reverted that as of yet. This means if you own Helldivers 2 in a non-PSN country, your friend(s) (pffft, who has those) cannot join you in a game, because they cannot legally purchase the game. This is still an issue.

I still do not think the community won. I believe Steam had a talk with Sony about refunds that where going to be mandatory and Sony ran the numbers.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-08 09:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Its gonna suck when Gabe Newell retires (or passes away).
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-08 09:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Those countries either don't matter in terms of profits or are blocked for reasons outside of the companies control (russia / china)

If you had a youtube channel for example and only were seen by the people in those red countries you would make .01% the revenue as someone who was only seen by people in the blue areas.

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

When he does a lot of people are gonna get a real quick lesson why monopolies are bad. His kids are dumb as rocks, they will sell Valve for 6 billion dollars to some mega corp and then that mega corp will own your entire games library. Then due to how peoples minds work they will have a strangle hold over the users of Steam, people place value in that library even though they never play any of the games anymore.

"We are now applying a monthly sub fee to Steam, if you refuse to pay it you lose access to your games library"

This would not even be illegal, cause you don't own the games you paid for anyway.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-08 10:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They won in this one instance because they *** up. They sold HD2 in places you cannot technically have a PSN account, which is why they backed down after the backlash. All future games WILL have a PSN requirement going forward though, that is not going to change no matter who ***.

And honestly, I say this as someone who hasn't owned a Sony product since PS2 and hates Sony as a company, who gives a ***? Outside of, again, this situation where they *** up and sold it in the wrong places, why do you have an issue with making a PSN account and linking it? You did it for EA. You did it for Ubisoft. You did it for Epic. What is one more account in your 30+ account pile?

By all means, fight the fight and boycott or w/e, but this situation didn't blow up because people had to make a Sony account. It blew up because people had to make a Sony account and COULDN'T. Arrowhead studios knew PSN integration was coming, they planned for it 6 months in advance and also told everybody about it. People ignored it because they had to disable it at launch due to being unable to integrate it in time. Arrowhead aren't saviors either, like some people are proclaiming, they did jump on the bandwagon and pretend they were fighting for everyone though, and that they tried to get Sony to stop etc.

It's all just corporate ***.

(I'm speaking in general to everyone, not you, specifically)

While I didn't buy HellDivers, I would be one of the ones effected. I haven't owned a Playstation since the one I had back when I lived in Korea. I do no use PSN, I do not use consoles, I have a desktop gaming PC in my office along with a HTPC I use for light gaming in my living room. If I had bought and was playing a game on Steam, only to have them suddenly tell me I had to make an account for a console I do not use, I would be beyond pissed.

We know this is Sony pushing the requirement as a way to force more people onto their platform. No developer would willingly shoot themselves in the head with such a wildly unpopular move.

Now if a product states upfront that "hey you need X to use this product, are you ok with that" prior to sale, then sure you agreed to it. But to force the requirement after a products been purchased, that's downright deceitful.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-08 10:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Or decides to live forever. If video games, anime, and the pope have taught me anything is that path only leads to ruin!
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-08 10:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The PSN requirement was always there, it just wasnt working so they nixed the requirement "until it was ready".

Regardless of the PSN requirement not being ready at launch, Sony *** up by allowing a product with a secondary registration requirement to be sold in countries where that secondary registration requirement is banned.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2024-05-08 14:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

drakefs said: »

They won in this one instance because they *** up.

Kind of won. Sony blocked sales in non-PSN country and have not reverted that as of yet. This means if you own Helldivers 2 in a non-PSN country, your friend(s) (pffft, who has those) cannot join you in a game, because they cannot legally purchase the game. This is still an issue.

I still do not think the community won. I believe Steam had a talk with Sony about refunds that where going to be mandatory and Sony ran the numbers.

you the kind of guy that posts something like this?

basically what radial said though. russia/china basically have steam blocked and there's likely very few people in chad playing helldivers. it's funny that what you posted is borderline more misleading than what i did by saying there are 10 total. lmao
[+]
 Asura.Questaru
By Asura.Questaru 2024-05-08 15:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

All their remakes suck ! Just leave them alone and make them abandonware
By RadialArcana 2024-05-08 15:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Questaru said: »
Questaru

[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-05-09 04:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

DELETE FROM ffxiah_users WHERE username LIKE '%taru';

Do it.

It will work
[+]
By drakefs 2024-05-09 13:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Those countries either don't matter in terms of profits or are blocked for reasons outside of the companies control (russia / china)
basically what radial said though. russia/china basically have steam blocked and there's likely very few people in chad playing helldivers. it's funny that what you posted is borderline more misleading than what i did by saying there are 10 total. lmao

There is a significant non-us, non-europe player base. Even if you include countries an US entity cannot work with, it does not add up to 170+ countries that the game was already for sell in and is no longer for sell in.

you the kind of guy that posts something like this?

No, not normally but I figured you needed pictures. Here's a list.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-09 21:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh people arguing over why Sony reversed it's decision to screw over players? They changed it because their highly rated title got review nuked and Valve refused to do a Rotten Tomatoes. On top of that Valve made an exception to it's refund policy and was accepting refunds regardless of time spent. That is really bad for Sony, well for any publisher.

[+]
 Asura.Questaru
By Asura.Questaru 2024-05-10 01:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Enix is the worst thing that happened to Square. No use saving a bankrupt company if all they're going to do is put out garbage. I understand some of you would be hurt by hearing the bad news but this is just how it is
By RadialArcana 2024-05-10 03:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The stupidity of publicly owned gaming companies never ceases to amaze me.

Step1: be private company, pander to customer completely to become successful and loved.
Step2: go public, pander to customers as much as possible to attract investment.
Step3: get lots of investment, stock price go up
step4: now all the ones that invested demand a return on that investment, worse they demand continual forever growth so their investment keeps growing

step5: in order to achieve continual growth you ruin the company (muh wider audience, censorship, cutting costs so less features, more sweatshop labor used etc)

step6: ruin the company, customers hate you, stock price falls, people sell

step7:pander to customers to attract investors back

step8: you did it, investors come back. investor demands ruin company again

goto step 4 and repeat forever

Ironically the way you know a company is going to move back into making good games again is when the stock price is really low. Having a good stock price means your product will be bad, becasue you were not pandering to your fanbase while making it.

The more successful a company is, the more it attracts serious investors, the more ***the product will be. If any company has pension fund managers interested, it's over.

High stock price = serious investors > min max profits > ***game

Low stock price = fan investors > make good games > good games

Shift up, that made Stellar Blade are gonna go through all these at record speed.
 Ragnarok.Godsmack
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Godsmack 2024-05-10 08:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So happy to listen this. They just banned my 5 accounts, they deserve this.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-10 08:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Your 5 accounts didnt get banned for nothing.
[+]
By Viciouss 2024-05-10 09:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Questaru said: »
Enix is the worst thing that happened to Square. No use saving a bankrupt company if all they're going to do is put out garbage. I understand some of you would be hurt by hearing the bad news but this is just how it is

What bad news?

Ragnarok.Godsmack said: »
So happy to listen this. They just banned my 5 accounts, they deserve this.

What did you do?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7