Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2023-12-10 14:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »
The real big difference IMO is that you actually have people who *want* to exp on private servers. On retail, those are very much the minority and pretending you can easily assemble a group of 6 to do mastery and not have half of them stealth botting is silly.

CP / ML parties are fine for up to about 90 minutes, two hours tops, then it gets boring. The issue is that ML 40+ is so ridiculous that you need to fight non-stop for days to get anywhere. 30+ is bad enough but doable in 90~120 minute chunks, but at 40 all motivation just dies.

That is how it always was though, even in original 75 era. Yet they people think its the pinnacle of content for XI... unreal. So there is basically no difference aside from pace of fights which isn't saying much. Most groups had already figured out the burn style of exping and it was just as fast back then as said earlier on this page. Not to mention, most of those groups on that server are using abilities and buffs that did not exist back then like aoe refresh from SMN to speed things up. I have also seen them abusing BST pets to solo/fast level certain jobs.

Eh ML40+ is way worse then XPing back in ye ole days.

Essentially you want about 1 level per session of play, the "level up" is the reward mechanism that triggers the brains dopamine reward response. Originally leveling 50~60+ was insane, ridiculous amounts that took forever. So much that dieing once represented hours of lost XP. SE eventually went back and significantly nerfed the amount of XP required from 50~75. Think it was after CoP but before WoTG. That is the leveling experience most of us had.

ML's are more like the original 1-75 scale, with a ridiculous amount of pain post 40.
By Draylo 2023-12-10 14:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but thats what these people want. They think exping is grade A content
By Nariont 2023-12-10 15:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

its rose tinted goggles since xping was part of the "classic" experience, you sat around the proverbial fire exping off the (usually) most docile mobs in the game in terms of tp moves/effects, chatting it up with others and making friends while your character improved.

Was likely what people remember more versus the slog that was most pre-AU content even if it largely served the same function, chatting while your character improves(eventually, maybe, points system ahoy~)

Can still do this today via capacity points but its "not the same", whether it be the speed of CP gain, the myriad of botted parties if its a server like asura, or just the lack of time/desire to talk with others, if they're not just half/fully botting it up anyway, can just paste this onto ML too, same general experience/issues
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-12-10 15:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gweivyth said: »
It's sort of insulting to those of us who have actually done the work to see people say stuff like this. We have thousands of merged code commits on just Wings' Git alone, to say that you just change settings and blam you're running a server is not only extremely disingenuous, but just an outright lie.

I agree with you on a lot of things but it would be cool if you could at least pretend to argue in good faith, like you know I'm right here.
Apologies, sincerely.

I didn't mean it was easy to produce a quality server, I meant it was easy to produce a server. I was simply trying to point out all of those little tweaks are sort of an obvious indicator as to the purpose of LSB (and ASB).

Nearly every new private server pops up with what is essentially a check-list of the options they've chosen on that settings page. "Ours is the Ultimate Final Fantasy XI experience! EXP rates are doubled, FoV is turned on, Trusts are turned off, Mounts are available, Home Point Warps are no-go!"

The point I was trying to get across is that S-E wouldn't make a "classic" server for the exact same reason LSB made that check-list so easy to tweak: no one can agree on the same level of QOL and amount of content.
 Asura.Gweivyth
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-10 17:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
no one can agree on the same level of QOL and amount of content.
This is sort of why I want Square to do it. There's nothing to argue about. They're just going to do what they're going to do and people will either play it or they won't.

The thing about private servers is that people actually have a person that they can scream at when they disagree about what is and is not good. I've spent enough time on the receiving end of this to know that, haha. They won't even bother doing that with Square cause they know Square isn't listening.

Also it's good, no hard feelings. I'm probably the only person here that actually knows what it's like so I feel semi obligated to at least speak up to the experience.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2023-12-10 19:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Yeah but thats what these people want. They think exping is grade A content
i just want to do HNM the way Tanaka intended, if i wanted to do all instanced content/have everything handed to me on a silver platter and walk around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment i'd of stayed on XIV. Don't get me wrong i'll be back for Dawntrail but its basically a better looking retail XI ever since abyssea.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-12-10 20:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait...what? Retail XI is "everything handed to you on a silver platter with an undeserved sense of accomplishment"?

Is this a joke post? Camping HNMs, which mostly involves napping and then eventually a 3 minute laughably easy fight, is the height of earning your gear?

This guy must be joking.

Edit: Ah, I missed the part about XIV and I've never heard of Tanaka
[+]
By Dodik 2023-12-10 21:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Salty that it's not possible to buy a prime?
 Cerberus.Aerandir
Server: Cerberus
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2023-12-10 21:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

"HNM the way Tanaka intended" is out the window when KB is spawning outside Garlaige Citadel and Fafnir is roaming Zi'tah because Aerec thought it would be funny
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-12-10 21:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said: »
i just want to do HNM the way Tanaka intended, if i wanted to do all instanced content/have everything handed to me on a silver platter and walk around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment i'd of stayed on XIV.

Retail ffxi is the hardest ffxi has ever been (Maybe 18 man delve). Entry to play is just stupidly easy if you are willing to invest the time. Most people want to be carried.

The fact this ***exited your lips tells me you were carried through ffxi HNM Era. 1 gear set wearing scrub praying his homeboy's bot works so he can lot on ebody because he doesn't play any mages and was never allowed to einherjar because he was that guy that always *** ***up.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-12-10 21:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who knows who Natenn is knows your assessment is spot on lol
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2023-12-10 22:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Wait...what? Retail XI is "everything handed to you on a silver platter with an undeserved sense of accomplishment"?

Is this a joke post? Camping HNMs, which mostly involves napping and then eventually a 3 minute laughably easy fight, is the height of earning your gear?

This guy must be joking.

They were talking about XIV.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2023-12-10 22:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
i just want to do HNM the way Tanaka intended, if i wanted to do all instanced content/have everything handed to me on a silver platter and walk around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment i'd of stayed on XIV.

Retail ffxi is the hardest ffxi has ever been (Maybe 18 man delve). Entry to play is just stupidly easy if you are willing to invest the time. Most people want to be carried.

The fact this ***exited your lips tells me you were carried through ffxi HNM Era. 1 gear set wearing scrub praying his homeboy's bot works so he can lot on ebody because he doesn't play any mages and was never allowed to einherjar because he was that guy that always *** ***up.
Oh you clearly don't know lol
 Cerberus.Aerandir
Server: Cerberus
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2023-12-10 22:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually kind of curious if any of the Horizon players want to discuss the recent zilart king claim/mechanic/drop changes and still maintain that it's the glory days of FFXI content.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2023-12-10 23:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i think its better, things change a lil every few months so it stays interesting, new Aspid took like 6h to kill (me btw) :). New Nid kinda hard but its missing a mechanic bc it had to be disabled, adds pop that apply evasion and defense down to everyone in aery but it lags the zone to the point its unkillable, 170 ppl were in zone. New KB lil meh, besides my LS every other LS thats killed just threw 7+ PLDs at it, it has flee speed w/o gravity, insta casts comet on target so you need tanks fighting for hate at all times or it flips on a mage, howl removes all debuffs, blazespikes does like 10x more dmg 100+, and it gets crazy TP regain at low %, saw it thunderbolt x3 in a row.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-12-10 23:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That current ffxi is too hard for you that you have to play pretend ffxi cuz poor?
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
Server: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2023-12-11 00:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My own take on this is retail FFXI was long gone and dead like some other MMOs of the past like OG Phantasy Star Online, I'd probably give it a try. As of now I'm currently fine with retail.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2023-12-11 13:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

75 cap FFXI is p fun.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2023-12-11 14:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That current ffxi is too hard for you that you have to play pretend ffxi cuz poor?
Nope, retail went on a decline for me around the end of Abyssea. All instanced content, like i said i'd rather play 14 if thats how its gonna be. I though SoA was gonna bring back HNM but no, more instanced content. Sandworm/Ixion were that last great additions.
 Ragnarok.Casey
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-12-11 14:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Snk said: »
Phantasy Star Online
I'm so glad Ephinea exists, it's got a good playercount for such an old game and it's still able to scratch that itch exactly like I need to.
By Draylo 2023-12-11 14:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, retail went on a decline for me around the end of Abyssea. All instanced content, like i said i'd rather play 14 if thats how its gonna be. I though SoA was gonna bring back HNM but no, more instanced content. Sandworm/Ixion were that last great additions.

Did u try domain invasion, it has a dragon and he used to know spike flail
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-12-11 15:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not understand this at all. Fighting Sandworm/Ixion or any other HNM consists mostly of standing around for hours on end doing nothing, then when you actually pull them you're just fighting an NM. How is it any more engaging to fight an NM in an open zone as compared to fighting an NM in an instance? There are 6 NMs per Delve, each with as many or more engaging mechanics than Ixion. I understand opinions are subjective, but I just do not understand the excitement related to HNMs. What's the fun part to you? Competing with others for the claim? Having other players standing nearby you watching you kill it?
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2023-12-11 15:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

yes
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-12-11 15:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Horizon doesnt even have a 75 era claim system. Theres a short window for everyone to act on it, then it picks one person at “random” for claim.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-12-11 15:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hoo Mjuu the Torrent: peak FFXI content. You and a gilseller are both camping, trying to get the Monster Signa. You want to improve your Charm set for your up-and-coming BST, he wants to sell it on the AH for 100k so he can feed his family. You both sit in anticipation, palms sweating, hoping that he spawns near you and not on the opposite side of the room near the gilseller. Do you pretend to be AFK and give him a false sense of security, or do you dash around the arena, hoping to have a better chance of seeing him first? Is it better to tab around, or to dash up to it and hit F8? Should you try shooting it from a distance, or risk running in for the faster Charm claim? Should you clear the rest of the mobs to give yourself a clearer path to F8 it, or is that going to help your adversary? The depth of mechanics and 4d chess going on here is peak video game design. Every 5 minutes your heart is racing as you look for a longer nameplate to appear, cursing every Yagudo Mendicant that spawns, hoping it will pop next time so you can still kiss your wife before she falls asleep.

Shame they put stuff in instances now so you can fight it when you feel like it, and both of you can get an Izhiikoh, they really ruined the game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-12-11 15:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Hoo Mjuu the Torrent: peak FFXI content. You and a gilseller are both camping, trying to get the Monster Signa. You want to improve your Charm set for your up-and-coming BST, he wants to sell it on the AH for 100k so he can feed his family. You both sit in anticipation, palms sweating, hoping that he spawns near you and not on the opposite side of the room near the gilseller. Do you pretend to be AFK and give him a false sense of security, or do you dash around the arena, hoping to have a better chance of seeing him first? Is it better to tab around, or to dash up to it and hit F8? Should you try shooting it from a distance, or risk running in for the faster Charm claim? Should you clear the rest of the mobs to give yourself a clearer path to F8 it, or is that going to help your adversary? The depth of mechanics and 4d chess going on here is peak video game design. Every 5 minutes your heart is racing as you look for a longer nameplate to appear, cursing every Yagudo Mendicant that spawns, hoping it will pop next time so you can still kiss your wife before she falls asleep.

Shame they put stuff in instances now so you can fight it when you feel like it, and both of you can get an Izhiikoh, they really ruined the game.
AMAZING.

Mine were LL and VE. Same thing tho!

(Glad I have those memories)
By Draylo 2023-12-11 15:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing to understand, its pretty much a weird fascination for a time when they were mostly kids and with a different community and everything was fresh. I have debated them so many times on it, because at face value it looks like horrible content (and it mostly was.) They won't listen to any reason, just call you an abyssean baby or trust baby, it really is the weirdest thing that you can literally write a book on. The vast majority of FF11 players hated that style of content, they tried to continue it through Abyssea and people still hated it and that was probably the last we saw of that.

You have to remember these people are in an extreme minority. If the XI playerbase was always small, just imagine how small they are in comparison. There is a reason why these p servers barely hit 1k players (this one, we all know why it didn't avg so low.) The fact they are free also helps buffer the numbers.

That style of play is so archaic, time wasting and just bad. It was enjoyable at the time when we were all kids, but now with so many games and playstyles at our disposal, why would we actually want something like that? XI has advanced so much in terms of combat/content, and they all want to go back to the stone age taking 20m to run to a camp, waiting 1~2hrs to fill party slots, taking 20s to whiff your weapon. There is no sense in it.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-12-11 15:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like Abyssea was more fun with those NMs anyway, they popped more often and were a lot more drama prone.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-12-11 15:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude forgot about moms spaghetti tho
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan