This is a ***post.

The irony.
 Asura.Sakutaru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sakuraba
By Asura.Sakutaru 2023-11-08 22:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing with FFXI preAbysea was: Exp PT is the rice, while HNM is the topping. (you even have to go back to do exp after dieing so much in HNM)

EXP party was such a big part of the game which make most of the gears u get very very relevent over long period of time. You TREASURE you astral ring as as it make your TaruSMN @Dune has 1HP and cure capability rival to a WHM.

From my point of view if I was SE at that time:

1 yes new content like a must (look at us in maintain mode now) new level cap is fine but the power creep must be a WHOLE alot slower
2 Slow power creep: Gear progression must be a bit slower and harder to get as well as not breaking the old gear system (Ilevel is really trash out everything in the past since it raise level differences)
3 no AFK PL ... SE MADE AFK PL possible. People after Abysea didnt know how to play the job before they get to 90 ... then the ages of Bots to come. At that time i would think SE can actively control the amount of bot and buying PL 1-99 is not a "norm" as of now. People likes and play a game should because they want to spend time on it, not to spend money to watch a number go up ... and then AFK days in town not knowing what to do next ??

The list can go on but i am really sad that we passed the point of no return ... cant rebuild to a glory life ...
I mean the system could have get overhauled (Private server can, i bet SE can as well) Graphic can upgrade (1 person like emillia can do it SE can't ??) The Tranfer off Xbox and PS2 could have been a Vanadiel reborn which we didnt get ... pheonix burnt to ash and sweep to the dustbin :(
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-11-08 23:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-08 23:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sakutaru said: »
3 no AFK PL ... SE MADE AFK PL possible. People after Abysea didnt know how to play the job before they get to 90 ... then the ages of Bots to come. At that time i would think SE can actively control the amount of bot and buying PL 1-99 is not a "norm" as of now. People likes and play a game should because they want to spend time on it, not to spend money to watch a number go up ... and then AFK days in town not knowing what to do next ??
Oh you sweet sweet summer child. You think afk xp didnt exist?

I afk leveled like 6 jobs for my maat's cap. Thank you Campaign and /brd.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-11-09 00:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

*fondly remembers seeing SMN burns after level sync's introduction in Korroloka Tunnel*

*fondly remembers asking how much folks were paying to get AFK leveled by SMNs in Korroloka Tunnel*

*fondly remembers people saying Level Sync killed the game*

*fondly remembers Abyssea ALLIANCE exp becoming the next boogie man because you NEEDED Key *** to make it as fast/sexy as possible*

*Fondly remembers grinding multiple jobs to 99 in Abyssea ALLIANCE exp in my barracks room in A School*

Yeah, not gonna lie. I honestly find it weirder that SE introduced Alliance based EXP that worked, and then pivoted so hard away from it that Abyssea is just like... excluded from almost every RoE objective etc.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-11-09 00:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to know in what ways the people who claim Horizon isn't 75-era XI think that is, because it's pretty damn close as I remember it.
By Draylo 2023-11-09 00:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubaiii said: »
ignore haters of horizon, they have nothing to do appearntly.
I don't understand why hate on ppl that enjoy simple things, let them enjoy it and move on.

even if they stop playing and start playing Retail, The game will still be dying and in maintenance mode.

Nothing to do just like anyone else posting on a video game forum, cmon now. Nobody is trying to stop them from "enjoying", people are just leaving opinions in a thread on a forum. I don't get why people are so sensitive these days and constantly want to shut anyone down who has an opposing viewpoint, what happened to debating on this forum?

You can have your opinion, mine is that is a detriment to retail
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Homsar said: »
Stuff

Agree with you that the games appeal to different people, but I think the venn diagram of people who want to play retail and want to play Horizon is not 2 separate circles.

Also keep in mind that if Horizon (and other private servers) didn't exist those people would either have to play another game or play retail. So the fact that these servers exist definitely takes away players in the center, and probably a fair bit from the "horizon only" group. Maybe those people in your linkshell WOULD'VE picked up retail if Horizon didn't exist, but since it did they just went for Horizon and stayed there.

I personally don't have any grievance against the server or the people who choose to play there. Barring omniscience, we'll never know whether it created or reduced demand for retail, by getting new people into it or by keeping players on private instead of on retail, but I think it's undeniable that it has had an impact on retail activity.

Then, of course, people on retail can't find community because the players quit to play private, or never joined at all because they're on a private server, so it snowballs.

This pretty much sums up how I feel/think. I even know a handful of my friends who used to play XI 24/7 that went to that server that might have otherwise dabbled in retail again at some point. Why would they when that server is free and SE constantly has those shitty free campaigns? It just is a net negative to me.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-11-09 00:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
SE constantly has those shitty free campaigns?

Takes a real ***' miser to hate on the free login campaigns.
By Draylo 2023-11-09 00:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Kind of a silly way to put it. Classic XI and current XI are two very different games. You have to be willfully obtuse to not recognize the dramatic changes FFXI has experienced over the course of its lifetime and how the current state of the game is dramatically different than the 75-era state of the game.

The only difference is in retail you don't need all those bodies to throw at things. The same handful of relevant events are there, the same long slog of an EXP grind is there, the ability to socialize is still there. You could interchange Limbus/Dynamis/whateverevent with the current events that are relevant in XI... Honestly, the vast majority of these people playing on these servers are just EXPING, literally that is it and some dinky quests. You can already do that on retail, so I don't see how its worlds apart.

Quote:
The current amount of regularly experienced relevant content on Horizon has a greater range of diversity than current FFXI.

No it doesn't, not to mention people have done that content to death yet you have people in this thread saying they are tired of the current content we have in retail lol.

You still have dailies/weeklys to do in that era, much worse than retail if you ask me.

Quote:
Horizon overall has a better sense of community than current FFXI(or at least better than the community of the server I was on before I called it quits).

This is part of where I blame SE, I personally think mergers are needed. I don't think its "community" though, I just see it as fake pretending, when I see people randomly trading and giving gil and protect/shell and ***, its like they are cosplaying how things used to be. It might be me being jaded, but seems fake honestly. That is also part of my, if they could do it there why can't they do it in retail? They could all get together on a server.

Quote:
Current FFXI is the "real deal", of course. But it no longer resembles the classic FFXI that most Horizon players like. Odyssey and Sortie are the only two forms of relevant group content for a significant portion of the playerbase at this point. Some may supplement in thing like Omen, DynaD, and Ambu, but there's a huge portion of the playerbase that simply doesn't need to do these things any more. I suspect you are being somewhat disingenuous when you say people are complaining about too much content when they are likely saying there's too much content that isn't regularly experienced. This can be especially frustrating for returning players or people without a ton of time or connections. That's not even mentioning the fact that the game is bloated with huge amounts of now-dead content. Nearly every single mission in the game can be soloed with ease now, as can most the quests.

They don't need to do the content when they complete it in that era server either, whats your point? People are still doing them or still need that content. Missions were always easy, people on that p server blew thru missions so fast so I don't know why you think thats some kind of difficulty.

No, the person who said "theres too much content" said it because they wanted to just do basic things like leveling... I even said they could easily do that in retail with master levels and they ignored it. They are literally saying too much content = bad.
By Draylo 2023-11-09 00:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

SE constantly has those shitty free campaigns?

Takes a real ***' miser to hate on the free login campaigns.

Looking at your post history, you sure aren't a saint.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-11-09 00:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Once more, just in case-

you cannot regain the feels of when you did XI in the 75 era by recreating the game at that level. It wasn't the game, it was you 20 years younger, different real life, different in-game friends, different everything.

If you simply want to replay old content while stoned and streaming early 2000s animated comedies, come join me in the real game :)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2023-11-09 01:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

this is blasphemous

[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-11-09 01:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

aight no trying to hide it- if that thing exists in your game, you're not playing XI so don't *** try and say you are.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-11-09 01:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The only difference is in retail you don't need all those bodies to throw at things. The same handful of relevant events are there, the same long slog of an EXP grind is there, the ability to socialize is still there. You could interchange Limbus/Dynamis/whateverevent with the current events that are relevant in XI... Honestly, the vast majority of these people playing on these servers are just EXPING, literally that is it and some dinky quests. You can already do that on retail, so I don't see how its worlds apart.

You're being willfully obtuse here. EXPing on Horizon is a different experience than the ML slog in retail. In terms of interactions, party composition, battle strategy, progression rewards, and time investment, they're completely different. To add on to that, you don't really have a choice to EXP on Horizon without participating in a party with other players. On retail, anyone with any sense dumps the ML slog onto RMTs or bots because it's mindnumbingly boring and the reward for leveling MLs sucks most of the time.

Odyssey and Sortie don't stack up well to Limbus and Dynamis because they are far more repetitive and I say that as someone who isn't a particular fan of Dyna/Limbus. Likewise with Sky/Sea/HNMs, though the monotony of camping HNMs definitely is boring. "Dinky quests" is an interesting term to use towards quests that are part of the base game that you allege you love.

No it doesn't, not to mention people have done that content to death yet you have people in this thread saying they are tired of the current content we have in retail lol.

It absolutely is more diverse. A huge portion of the current playerbase in retail has nothing to do beyond Sortie/Ody, which see almost no variation in day-to-day strategy. I'm not sure what you would consider to be dailies/weeklies on Horizon. The only thing I currently do as a weekly is Eco-Warrior.

This is part of where I blame SE, I personally think mergers are needed. I don't think its "community" though, I just see it as fake pretending, when I see people randomly trading and giving gil and protect/shell and ***, its like they are cosplaying how things used to be. It might be me being jaded, but seems fake honestly. That is also part of my, if they could do it there why can't they do it in retail? They could all get together on a server.

The fact that you're a joyless grump doesn't make it fake. I admit though that there was a little bit of an over-the-top feeling of "helpfulness" when I first started playing Horizon. There's not much of a community to do what you're implying on retail, nor is giving away gil nearly as useful because gil is plentiful.

What's your beef with free logins anyway?
 Asura.Rekcuf
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-09 06:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

a
I want to know in what ways the people who claim Horizon isn't 75-era XI think that is, because it's pretty damn close as I remember it.
Ah yes WHM's and Summoners with Refresh, and summoner refresgha 40?, TRUE close to 75 era, and RDM's Get Refresh what level 60? LOL ***server you have that guy that runs it Aerec and the other dumb guy also that plays a lot of FFXIV running the servers, no thanks
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2023-11-09 06:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerds so Michigan Mad™ about things that they wont shut the *** up.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-09 07:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Do people realize you can do "75 era" on retail? Just create a new character, likely as an alt on your main, then never do the level 80 unlock quest. Poof, congrats your playing at 75 cap. Started up a new toon a month or two ago, learning BLU spells right now and got Kitty pants a week ago. The best part is that many things you can act as the level sync target and your friends can experience fighting Tiamat or Kirin again as level 75 characters. Don't have to worry about out claiming another LS's bot since all the ground kings are pop items now.

All the QoL upgrades from RoV, mounts, low level WS updates, and best of all, no group of corrupt jaded tyrants dictating how you must play the game.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2023-11-09 08:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a vastly different game (job balance is out of the window) and change to big item (suppa, hagun for example).

There is a lot more but if the game is the same to you, more power to you and have fun.
By fillerbunny9 2023-11-09 08:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I too remember the days when Daggers were given a base damage increase making them better than Swords, THF getting Triple Attack in the 20s or 30s (I do not recall the exact level change on Horizon, but it is considerably earlier), the drop rate on everything in the earlier levels being so incredibly miniscule that making progress on San d'Oria Mission 1-1 takes forever and a day, sources of Refresh given to jobs other than SMN trait or RDM spell, speaking of, RDM's Refresh getting pushed back another ~20 levels deep, as well as inexplicable gear changes (see above screenshot of Suppanomimi).

yup. definitely the same as it always was.

I am not on the "private servers are why the game is dying" bandwagon, but it is pretty plain to see that Horizon is a poorly rebalanced "75 cap" experience.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-11-09 08:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Just create a new character, likely as an alt on your main, then never do the level 80 unlock quest. Poof, congrats your playing at 75 cap. Started up a new toon a month or two ago, learning BLU spells right now and got Kitty pants a week ago. The best part is that many things you can act as the level sync target and your friends can experience fighting Tiamat or Kirin again as level 75 characters.

pDIF cap changes. Accuracy cap changes. Merit limit and function changes. Direct job changes. Removal of level correction in many old areas that matter for TVR. Gear availability. Enmity cap changes. Protect and shell buffs. Damage scales with TP WS completely broken. Skillchains almost never resist now. Exp rate is completely insane. Nobody is around to party with unless you make a full static for everything. Your immersion gets broken when a 119 character walks through and floors Kirin in 2 WS. I'm sure there's more, but playing as a fake-75 on retail servers is far easier than playing at 75 in real era was.

I'm not saying Horizon is any better, they have tons of their own issues. Ultimately, 75 cap was more about grinding than engaging gameplay, and none of the fights are at all interesting with the knowledge of the game available in 2023. If you're craving nostalgia, you can get your fix either way. If you want an authentic 75 experience, you won't get that without a time machine, because you can't unlearn what makes the fight easy even if private servers ever manage to make a properly balanced ecosystem(spoiler: they probably won't).
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-09 08:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You're being willfully obtuse here. EXPing on Horizon is a different experience than the ML slog in retail. In terms of interactions, party composition, battle strategy, progression rewards, and time investment, they're completely different. To add on to that, you don't really have a choice to EXP on Horizon without participating in a party with other players.

Just because it's not forced upon you doesn't mean you couldn't do it. You could definitely set up a party to ML with 6 human beings, pick your mob choice of type, and go at it for as long as you like. You can use the exact same party comp, battle strategy, and grind away as much as you want. I guess the "downside" is that you get TP way faster so things like "SATA SC! -> stand around for 60 seconds" don't exist anymore, because the game isn't paced like chess. Maybe people like taking no actions with their character for minutes at a time? You can't get that in retail I suppose...

On retail, anyone with any sense dumps the ML slog onto RMTs or bots because it's mindnumbingly boring and the reward for leveling MLs sucks most of the time.

Well, maybe if the exp grind lovers were here, there would be exp parties abound and people wouldn't feel the need to bot their MLs. IDK I still probably wouldn't bother because killing trash mobs repeatedly for hours is boring as hell, but you do you, boo.

I don't understand what is so "fresh" about dynamis, limbus, sea, sky. You're camping the exact same NMs every single time. Let's go kill pots for a while, let's go kill PHs for this guy. Let's stand in a corner waiting for Faust to spawn. Oooo if we do limbus we can walk around killing the same trash in the exact same places, what variety! Every time you do it, it's different! Every time you fight Byakko it's like a brand new experience. OG Dynamis: pull statue, kill trash, rinse and repeat for 4 hours. Every time you do it, it's like a brand new, fresh experience!

I'm sorry, but the love for the 75 era is 100% unadulterated nostalgia and has nothing to do with the quality of the content. As said elsewhere, if Horizon had a subscription it would be dead within a month. Most of the content of the time involves standing around waiting, killing trash mobs which present no risk at all, or killing incredibly easy NMs with no mechanics
[+]
By Kipling 2023-11-09 08:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

As a staff member of the HorizonXI project I’d like to say regardless of how you feel about the idea of classic XI generally, everyone is welcome and we’d love to have you if you ever gave us a try. Also, thanks to the moderators for giving us our own section on the forums.

Our population continues to grow every day and we are happy to see people having fun. It’s especially great when I run into familiar faces from the old retail days. HorizonXI is in the eve of releasing a big update soon that includes some unique to Horizon battle content so we’re excited for that and we’ll make sure to provide updates as we have them.

Cheers.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-11-09 08:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Especially welcome are women that staff like to predate on and harass then deny it ever happened, amirite.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-09 08:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
pDIF cap changes. Accuracy cap changes. Merit limit and function changes. Direct job changes. Removal of level correction in many old areas that matter for TVR. Gear availability. Enmity cap changes. Protect and shell buffs. Damage scales with TP WS completely broken. Skillchains almost never resist now. Exp rate is completely insane. Nobody is around to party with unless you make a full static for everything. Your immersion gets broken when a 119 character walks through and floors Kirin in 2 WS. I'm sure there's more, but playing as a fake-75 on retail servers is far easier than playing at 75 in real era was.

Umm Shell is the exact same, Protect is stronger and pDiff cap doesn't matter, your not getting anywhere near there at 75. And what impression are you talking about? That's some single player game stuff right there. The WS changes are a good thing, most of the lower level WS's are actually useful.

Of course if your goal is to see how much you can break the game, then don't bother with "75 era" whatever. Or let me guess, it was more about denying other groups the claim to a NM then actually having fun.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-11-09 09:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If your goal is to play a game, where you are challenged by difficult fights, then all of those things matter. The balance at 75 was based on the stats of the time, things have changed in many ways to make a 75-on-retail experience profoundly easy compared to a 75-in-era experience. If you are not looking to be challenged, then maybe it's still your cup of tea. But, let's not pretend that level syncing to 75 on retail lets you experience 75 endgame the same way a player did in 2007.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-11-09 09:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So minor stat and job adjustments are the only reason Horizon isn't 75-cap era XI? I didn't realize that the 5% DW bonus from Suppa was the defining factor of 75-era XI to so many people.
By Kipling 2023-11-09 09:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So minor stat and job adjustments are the only reason Horizon isn't 75-cap era XI? I didn't realize that the 5% DW bonus from Suppa was the defining factor of 75-era XI to so many people.

We removed it from that item and placed it on another item, so that way players didn’t feel like they only had one choice when it came to the divine might earrings. Most of our feedback showed that players felt they had to take suppanomimi no matter what. So we put the unique trait on a different item no one ever purchased instead.

https://horizonffxi.wiki/Stealth_Earring
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-09 09:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you look at the Horizon wiki for any job they've marked out the differences between Horizon and classic FFXI. There are about 20 of them on the WHM page alone.

If you go to the tag "Horizon change" you'll see that over 100 pages use this icon.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11