Game: FFXI
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-02-07 11:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Questaru said: »
Is it worth it?
yes it will out sell shiteen day 1, the game looks incredible so hyoed
By RadialArcana 2024-02-07 13:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they are going to go through with that scene, they have set the standard they can and will change anything and with making her look the way they have I really don't think they will do it. People will be kind of outraged, especially new audiences. There are things you can get away with when the game looked how it did, compared to how it looks now.

Or if they do I think it will be some kind of fake out, or at the end of the 2nd part there is some narrative formed that you can save her or they will save it for 3...
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-07 13:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

/ja "Invincible" <me>

Ok...(and I swear I'm not trolling here)..I didn't like ff7. At all.

I hated the characters, the entire first half of the story, the gameplay, everything about it.

Loved 1, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10.

This version? This looks cool. I'll probably enjoy this one. The game play looks fluid and the characters a lot less hammy then playing as rag doll stick creatures with massively over-animated responses to simple actions.

/ma "Warp" <me>
By Rips 2024-02-07 13:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate that I don't own a PS5 and that American Express has me under the gun.

You all enjoy.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-07 15:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of those new spoilers in the post demo sizzle reel

The piano thing could honestly be its own game. My only problem with it is how imprecise it feels to control it when it cuts the analog stick into 8 segments. Really hard to get exactly where you want it to be and will take some building of muscle memory. Can see people with no knowledge of music having a hard time if they ever actually use the intonation/key switching in any songs.
By Viciouss 2024-02-07 16:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish the keys took up more of the screen so I could see them easier. It's not hard for me to say that I'm not as young as I was when I first started playing FFXI. I got ran off of Overwatch because my reflexes just weren't there anymore. I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun for some people but I might just skip this particular minigame by.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-02-07 16:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
I don't think they are going to go through with that scene, they have set the standard they can and will change anything and with making her look the way they have I really don't think they will do it. People will be kind of outraged, especially new audiences.

Lakshmi.Sahzi said: »
I hated the characters, the entire first half of the story, the gameplay, everything about it.

I don't agree with this, but I know a lot of people who do and find it one of the weaker games in the FF series, so you aren't alone in your feelings. I also think it's a little different in context of todays world where parts of the story feel a bit more cliche than they did in the late 90s. It was also a pretty big leap forwards in technology from previous iterations. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about it if I played it for the first time today, though
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-07 17:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Melucine said: »

I'm maybe getting old but I prefer the FF games pre PS1, although 8 and 9 are a few of my favorites in the series.

I feel the same way but I think ps2 turned a corner. I hated 8 but I did think 9 was a masterpiece on so many levels. 10 was an atom bomb though, what a killer story and the international version is just perfect. I haven't been thrilled with any since then, altho I did think 12 was fun.

Asura.Iamaman said: »

I don't agree with this, but I know a lot of people who do and find it one of the weaker games in the FF series, so you aren't alone in your feelings. I also think it's a little different in context of todays world where parts of the story feel a bit more cliche than they did in the late 90s. It was also a pretty big leap forwards in technology from previous iterations. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about it if I played it for the first time today, though

I played 7 when it originally came out, I think I was a freshman in college. I actuslly thought the visual style was a huge step backwards. Although, lets face it, we were all comparing this to 6 which is just not fair, that thing was broken beyond belief.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-07 22:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

10 is my fav for sure. Only unfortunate part about the game was always how some of the coolest parts of the lore aren't in the actual game.
By Felgarr 2024-02-08 05:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
10 is my fav for sure. Only unfortunate part about the game was always how some of the coolest parts of the lore aren't in the actual game.

What do you mean? Like what?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-02-08 05:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of things aren't perfectly explained in-game and are very vague, but are explained to almost perfect detail in the official Ultimania FFX guides.

Part of the lore was sadly there. It's a problem shared by many other games, and frankly I wouldn't say FFX is the most blatant example of the issue, but it is affected by this nonetheless.
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-08 08:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't agree with this, but I know a lot of people who do and find it one of the weaker games in the FF series,

That was how I felt when I played OG FF7 for the first time in late 90s. The graphic was worse than 8, the system wasn't deep compare with 8, the unskippable summoning animation and random encounter rate was awful.

25 years later I start to appreciate it more and more:

1) The environmentalism theme feels far more engaging in today than late 90s, as we face plenty of problems from climate change etc. It is cliche, but it is a cliche that is easy to connect with rl.

2) FF7 story sequence has everything that makes a plot structure strong.

The main character has external and internal conflict. The main antagonist has tons of screentime for his own character development . The main character has 2 potential romance interests, which makes the story more romantic dramatic than only having 1. There is a big emotional twist at the end of disc 1 etc....

But most important of all, the final resolution(ending), after all the internal struggle, character development and twist, was satisfying and complete.

Years of playing jrpg I still see a lot of jrpg plots missing some of those important pillars that makes a plot strong, no matter how novel their theme is. By comparsion FF7 almost feels like a game story writing text book template with all the box checked.

I still remember many key plot elements from FF7 25 years later, I pretty much forgot all the plot from FF8 now, even though I liked FF8 way more in 1999.

That shows how good FF7 execution is, as I get older I like the story more and more because of that.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 09:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kind of sad how everything creative has kind of stalled.

If you told me 20 years ago the most hyped game for 2024 would be a game I played 25 years ago I would have laughed at you. Sad part is, the creative talent in the industry now is so poor that a game made 25 years ago is always going to be better than anything anyone can write today anyway.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-08 10:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kind of sad how everything creative has kind of stalled.

If you told me 20 years ago the most hyped game for 2024 would be a game I played 25 years ago I would have laughed at you. Sad part is, the creative talent in the industry now is so poor now that a game made 25 years ago is always going to be better than anything anyone can write today anyway.

All creative industries are moving towards safety and away from freedom. It's a tragedy, truly.

There is almost zero risk taking and absolutely 0 risk-taking on new ideas in big industry gaming, films, stories, etc. Everyone is afraid to be offensive or push new ideas.

I honestly believe the real issue is that we are putting our faith in safe people, the normal nice people that we'd let watch our kids. These are not the creators of yesterday. Real creative types are insane, autistic, offensive, bizarre, fetishist wackos. Quentin Tarantino is a jackass, Marlon Brando was a freak, Ellen Degeneres is a bee-atch (hate her). But they were/are all exceptionally talented at what they did. Simply, no one supports these types of people at all anymore.

Quite the opposite, actually...they are all getting canceled.
By Afania 2024-02-08 12:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad part is, the creative talent in the industry now is so poor that a game made 25 years ago is always going to be better than anything anyone can write today anyway.

That is just your opinion man....I find narrative focused games are far better these days than late 90s. Maybe you just like specific style or feel but that style isn't being made anymore.

From past 2 years I played or watched Disco Elysium(my fav game of all time), 13 sentinel aegis rim(pretty damn close to DE in my heart), witcher series, Opus Echo of Starsong, Detroit: Become Human, Life is Strange, Heaven Burns Red, Gemini Rue, What Remains of Edith Finch, and a bunch of less-known narrative games. All of them can easily compete with most games from 25 years ago when it comes to writing.

Personally I never place limitation on style, genre nor budget when I look for the next story to read. I like big budget story games as much as the small one if the execution is good. I find myself having much wider variety of story game choices these days than 25 years ago.
By Afania 2024-02-08 13:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Real creative types are insane, autistic, offensive, bizarre, fetishist wackos.

While I don't disagree with your opinion on taking risks, I am not sure if this is true. Ang Lee is my favorite film director of all time. He is a reserved, introvert, and highly sensitive person who almost never attack anyone in public.

One does not need to be a jackass offensive person to be creative, imo. That is quite a narrow way to define creativity.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 13:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There are numerous reasons I think most modern writers are terrible, but I blame Twitter for a lot of it. A writer should be allowed to be an as**ole, the work and the person should be separate but we don't allow this anymore.

A writer should always have a good separation from the audience and there is no separation anymore cause of twitter, if a writer does something edgy or shocking they will be assaulted immediately and so they will stop doing that pretty quick. A good writer should want to challenge people, upset them, make them feel something.

This is why the only good things being made anymore are either remakes (that are allowed to stay true to the original writing), things made in Japan from lesser known studios or things made by some unknown writer.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 14:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

This game honestly needs and deserves to do very well.

Not only are they throwing money at this game and giving more game than you'll normally ever get in an AA title, but they are also obviously pandering hard to the customers, which is something we want them to do. This game is wall to wall fan-service, in every way you would want.
By Afania 2024-02-08 14:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There are numerous reasons I think most modern writers are terrible, but I blame Twitter for a lot of it. A writer should be allowed to be an as**ole, the work and the person should be separate but we don't allow this anymore.

A writer should always have a good separation from the audience and there is no separation anymore cause of twitter, if a writer does something edgy or shocking they will be assaulted immediately and so they will stop doing that pretty quick. A good writer should want to challenge people, upset them, make them feel something.

This is why the only good things being made anymore are either remakes (that are allowed to stay true to the original writing), things made in Japan from lesser known studios or things made by some unknown writer.

Nah, Twitter assult happened a LOT in Japan too. Japanese Otaku circle can be very hostile.

If Twitter kills creativity, then the same thing should happen in Japan.

I think you just like Japanese style story better.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2024-02-08 15:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

People have sent hate messages to writers for a lot longer than Twitter has been a thing lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-08 16:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Real creative types are insane, autistic, offensive, bizarre, fetishist wackos.

While I don't disagree with your opinion on taking risks, I am not sure if this is true. Ang Lee is my favorite film director of all time. He is a reserved, introvert, and highly sensitive person who almost never attack anyone in public.

One does not need to be a jackass offensive person to be creative, imo. That is quite a narrow way to define creativity.

Oh I agree with all this. Certainly one can be creative and not a ***, They aren't mutually exclusive.

I just chose the most extreme examples to illustrate my point...everyone is judged way too harshly these days for things that have absolutely nothing to do with why they are successful. Society needs to chill out and accept bad with good because that's what humanity is.

We'd have to start a whole new thread for that topic.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 16:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
People have sent hate messages to writers for a lot longer than Twitter has been a thing lol

Yeah but Twitter has a really strange impact on people, it seems to get a stranglehold into peoples minds.
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-02-08 16:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but Twitter has a really strange impact on people, it seems to get a stranglehold into peoples minds.

Getting off social media was the healthiest thing I've ever done.

That is, until the day I get off FFXI.....
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-08 16:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

Getting off social media was the healthiest thing I've ever done.

That is, until the day I get off FFXI.....

All apostates will be hunted and returned into the collective.
[+]
By RiggityWrekd 2024-02-08 20:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the strength of FF7 story lies in how they handle the main villain. I like how the relationship between protagonist and antagonist is so personal. FF6 is quite similar and in fact it's considered one of the best stories.

Meanwhile FF8, 9 and 10 (which I love, don't get me wrong) have some sort of Deus Ex Machina at the end. Like, who the hell is Necron?
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-09 04:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

RiggityWrekd said: »
Meanwhile FF8, 9 and 10 (which I love, don't get me wrong) have some sort of Deus Ex Machina at the end.

This is also why I think FF7 remake can not surpass OG tbh, even though the entire presentation and characterization was better than the OG. They flat out skipped all the protagonist and antagonist development, as well as that twist, then go straight to the final boss battle that came out of nowhere. Without any of these prerequisites the final confrontation feels weak despite the visuals are strong.

I won't blame the writers for this though, cutting 1 story into 3 pieces is likely a decision not made by writers alone.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-02-09 04:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FF8
Ultimicia/Artimisia , though not mentioned, has been present since Disc 1. We just learn about her later on as "the plot thickens". I understand that some people would have loved to see her interacting with the main cast & having a more active, on-screen role, instead of influencing events from the shadows.
FF8 has weak villains anyways imo (Seifer is a complete joke of a character, could've been written better). But, if I learned anything, it's that localization can greatly affect how a character is perceived, and it's established that it affected how Squall is perceived outside Japan. So, maybe I'd get a different impression of Seifer if I play the game in Japanese.

Necron, on the other hand...
Well, we had Kuja to entertain us throughout the game, so we can just ignore him/her/it.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-09 07:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the strength of FF7 story lies in how they handle the main villain.

One of the problems is that Sephiroth is such an iconic villain almost exclusively because he killed Aerith, the anger the player felt towards him was directly becasue he killed someone they really liked and that was useful to them in the game as a healer.

So if they chicken out (which I think they obviously will) and not have him kill her, or have him kill another character that doesn't matter so much to the player then he will be greatly diminished as a villain in the eyes of the generations who never played the original.

This is kind of why it's annoying they are meddling with the story, when you remove negative things you lessen the impact the original game had in many ways.

For instance in XI I still remember everything surrounding me getting my Optical hat long ago. Not because it was so amazing, but because of how difficult and annoying it was to get. The negatives made the positive more intense, in a modern mmorpg they would never make something be that hard to get and that is why you'll never feel that kind of emotion about obtaining anyhting form a modern mmorpg.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15