May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)
May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-05-11 19:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Some final thoughts for the night: they put more effort into these than aeonics. A lot more. And I'm glad about that. Some people will still complain and say they're too generic or whatever, but overall they at least tried to make some cool bonuses on these that make sense for the jobs on them and I think the way that they've designed the skillchain properties is novel and cute.

Except the sword. That thing is ***for everyone.

This is exactly how I feel about the sword, it's really not good for any of the jobs on it, in trying to be good for all it just ended up mediocre at best.
By Draylo 2023-05-11 20:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd just like to know, if these are the last types of these weapons we will ever get and they didn't care to outclass other options why didn't they just go ham on everything. If they aren't, and I hope not, then maybe I can see where they were trying to balance things. Overall, I don't particularly like them but thats just my opinion. Aeonics at least had a special characteristic which was the ultimate skillchain. These just aren't that special that I can see, at the least they could have had a different animation or effect with the WS.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-11 20:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

went to test this myself out of curiosity because of that O&U 'test'

we know Hydras have complete resistance to breath damage so I used one of those as a test subject

[Prothescar] Thunder Breath <Thu'ban>
Arciela Haste II ¨ Arciela (Haste)
[Thu'ban] hit on <Prothescar> [[67]]
[Prothescar] Thunder Breath on <Thu'ban> [[0]]

Control for breath dmg: 0

[Prothescar] Requiescat <Thu'ban>
[Prothescar] Requiescat on <Thu'ban> [[6114]]

Requiescat for nonele: did damage

[Prothescar] Formless Strikes <Prothescar>
[2] [Prothescar] hit on <Thu'ban> [[0]]
[Prothescar] critical hit on <Thu'ban> [[0]]
[Prothescar] critical hit on <Thu'ban> [[0]]
[3] [Prothescar] hit on <Thu'ban> [[0]]

Formless Strikes: 0 dmg

[Prothescar] Chi Blast on <Thu'ban> [[0]]

Chi Blast: 0 dmg

Conclusions:

-Requiescat is not breath damage, it is nonelemental damage
-Formless Strikes and Chi Blast are breath damage, not nonelemental damage

I'd prove Murasamemaru but I turned mine in to Gorpa long ago. That said it always was nonele so no reason to believe it has changed.

tl;dr i was wrong about formless strikes and ***works as expected, all it really proves is that omega & ultima resist all nonelemental and breath damage in their master trial, which makes sense since that's the whole gimmick of the fight

anyway the nerf to twilight scythe was still pointless and dumb and i wouldnt have sex with it
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
Server: Asura
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-05-11 20:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel about the sword, it's really not good for any of the jobs on it, in trying to be good for all it just ended up mediocre at best.

The stats on most of them are pretty standard at best. The dagger has 35 dex, agi, and chr along with 6% triple attack. That's certainly nice, but it's nothing REMA worthy in itself. It has the highest raw white damage DPS of any dagger so far, but with PDL + as the aftermath it's still just "inferior twashtar" at face value (we have so much +PDL as is it's hard to make use of it all). The utility of these weapons is gonna come down to how good the weaponskills are, so until we know how the mods and tp scaling work we can only speculate. S-E DID say that they didn't intend them to outright replace existing options, but that their power level would be on a similar tier. For now all we can do is wait.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-11 20:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

For all we know these weaponskills have a fat detonator/empyreal arrow style attack bonus to go with a nice size PDL boost. We'll see when someone can actually use one.
[+]
By Hopalong 2023-05-11 21:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a decent ffxi style process to go through to get and ultimate weapon.

Quote:
if these are the last types of these weapons we will ever get and they didn't care to outclass other options why didn't they just go ham on everything.

They didnt go ham because the specific use for these weapons is something like the master trial bcnms that affect just the top of the playerbase. All they had to do was add more accuracy/attack for melee weapons and reward career bards/paladins etc.

I read a lot of commentary here and thought about it and watched for developments, and it looks similar to what I thought they would do. Frankly I'm happy, there's a nice weapon for the grinders but it didn't obsolete current really good weapons.

Also, any joe can work slowly towards a tierIII prime weapon like everything in ffxi and that's good for the game. Me though, I have to say, I'm not putting these prime weapons high on the priority list for my day to day life.

Final thoughts: It's like mastery levels you can only pick one (job/prime weapon) or maybe two which complete in one or maybe two years. This is actually contra to a core tenet of where ffxi had the ability to change jobs/subjobs without significant penalty. Right now, theres a large penalty equal to hundreds of hours of gameplay if you switch jobs.
By Draylo 2023-05-11 21:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they were intended as revamped Relics, like powered up versions to replace the old ones. I just would think they would have spiced it up a lot to keep people chasing the carrot for the long term but I can't even follow their plans anymore so idk.
 Ragnarok.Vargasfinio
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Vargasfinio 2023-05-11 21:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of "these all come down to how good the weapon skills are"...how does one go about testing things like fTP values once these are live?

I assume you need a baseline set of gear that doesn't change when you use the WS, and you record the damage at the three main TP breakpoints but I would think there is more to it than that.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-11 21:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's more or less it, except naked.

Then you do the whole add every stat one by one till you figure out which modifier it has.
[+]
By Foxfire 2023-05-11 21:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

/thf, saws naked on a level 1 enemy at anchor points at it's simplest explanation

unless you have enough ML to tripatk1 trait, in which case that might affect things a bit but ideally you'd be repeating the test until you could get a consistent value
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-11 23:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

doing it in sortie will be an incredible pain in the *** (first need to find the stats of the mobs, then conduct the tests preferably at capped attack). someone might be crazy enough to do it but if not you're waiting until stage4 enters the wild
By Seun 2023-05-12 01:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I'd just like to know, if these are the last types of these weapons we will ever get and they didn't care to outclass other options why didn't they just go ham on everything.

They said that the plan was to keep these weapons in line with what is currently available. Ultimate weapons and the main JSE gear are supposed to stay current. The way they have talked about these weapons at times, it almost seems like they don't really consider them to be in the same class though they are ilvl.

We got re-skin weapons. We got the same animations. We probably should have set our expectations based on that. Most will be bad, some will be competitive enough to make them appealing and some will be great. Maybe one or two will have niche utility or be completely broken in some obscure scenarios. More of the XI we've come to hate to love to hate.

Honestly, I'm actually mostly confused that I don't really care about the weapons and I'm looking at the rings...
[+]
 Bahamut.Drumskull
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Drumskull 2023-05-12 03:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dagger might be a sleeper for rdm lol
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-05-12 06:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

For all we know these weaponskills have a fat detonator/empyreal arrow style attack bonus to go with a nice size PDL boost. We'll see when someone can actually use one.

For all we know, Aftermath: Physical damage limit+, means turns on the benefit of PDL without the attack cap needed. Broke AF but still ULTIMATE WEAPONS!
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-05-12 08:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no reason to believe PDL on these new weapons would work any differently from every other existing PDL piece. If I understand correctly you're suggesting the aftermath might not only raise the attack cap by giving +PDL, but also provide the requisite attack values to make use of it outright. That's more than just a little unlikely. I wouldn't get my hopes up on that one.

The weaponskills are probably going to be really good though. They pretty much have to be. I'm expecting them to have impressive mods and tp scaling. There's a chance they may have hidden properties not mentioned in the description as well. Howling fist has an attack mod and coronach has enmity suppression, so it's possible these new weaponskills could also be packing some surprises too. We'll just have to wait and see.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-12 09:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Pdl without needing the attack is just (basically) wsd

If it was that, they would've just put wsd+ cause it's easier (regardless of magical ws)
By Meeble 2023-05-12 14:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

More PDL from Prime AM or Aria is going to slap for superbuffed multistepping solo DD setups.

It's not going to help much if you're spamming 99k's already, or help at all if you can't cap attack, though.
 Bahamut.Kahraba
user: ashcrow
By Bahamut.Kahraba 2023-05-12 14:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melliny said: »
There's no reason to believe PDL on these new weapons would work any differently from every other existing PDL piece. If I understand correctly you're suggesting the aftermath might not only raise the attack cap by giving +PDL, but also provide the requisite attack values to make use of it outright. That's more than just a little unlikely. I wouldn't get my hopes up on that one.

The weaponskills are probably going to be really good though. They pretty much have to be. I'm expecting them to have impressive mods and tp scaling. There's a chance they may have hidden properties not mentioned in the description as well. Howling fist has an attack mod and coronach has enmity suppression, so it's possible these new weaponskills could also be packing some surprises too. We'll just have to wait and see.
but what if the aftermath of PDL is a typo and they just meant Damage limit + like FFX?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-12 14:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

game balance was broken the second they made odyssey gear. but anyway it wouldn't be that, would be foolish to have that on only physical weapons and not the mage ones.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-05-12 16:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Pdl without needing the attack is just (basically) wsd

If it was that, they would've just put wsd+ cause it's easier (regardless of magical ws)

just (basically) wsd to every physical hit. More in line with how Fotia operates.

Bahamut.Kahraba said: »
but what if the aftermath of PDL is a typo and they just meant Damage limit + like FFX?

So broke, let's go for it. I'd personally uncap MB and SC only if they were going to go that route.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-05-12 16:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine the final update to Prime Weps being: "Removes 'Exclusive status of Nyame Armor'".
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-05-12 16:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
Imagine the final update to Prime Weps being: "Removes 'Exclusive status of Nyame Armor'".

People would still complain that it wasn't good enough.
[+]
By Hopalong 2023-05-12 21:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clarify, no ws/skillchain goes over 99k yeah? even with PDL, or are you guys seeing 120k+ weaponskills/skillchains? If not, I doubt it'll ever happen especially since they have to break the magic barrier wall first.

PDL etc is a good system dreamed up by SE to max your damage but the requirements necessary are to be in a group with pretty much with a close to meta party composition. As equipment stats creep up it allows those sets to be used in more and more situations.

I think for the average player, PDL at the cost of store tp, triple attack etc should be used sparingly. It's for meta party use or saying, "oh nice, PDL is an extra bonus on this already badass gear". For the meta player its the bees knees of course.

Overall, score one for that dev decision.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-05-12 21:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

game balance was broken the second they made odyssey gear. but anyway it wouldn't be that, would be foolish to have that on only physical weapons and not the mage ones.
Thats exactly a SE thing to do: uncap physical dmg and leave magic subject to the 99999 cap.

bonus points: let elemental WS's bypass the 99999 cap too
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-12 21:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hotshot did break 99k so the possibility does exist.

Barrage too

I don't expect it to ever be actually done, but it "can"
By Vaerix 2023-05-13 01:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

KujahFoxfire said: »
Bahamut.Kahraba said: »
Asura.Melliny said: »

Im fairly sure letting us go over 99k is gonna completely break game balance, but i'm all for it haha

In current content hitting 99999 isn't something that happens regularly (even MS War wasn't popping 99999 vs v20 bumba) if they make a weapon that can break that damage cap it wouldn't be felt really on current content but would make old content like Fu absolutely hilarious.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-05-13 01:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think only bursted nukes and T3+ skillchains can routinely hit 99K damage.
VIP
By Lili 2023-05-13 02:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
just (basically) wsd to every physical hit. More in line with how Fotia operates.

Fotia only adds it's bonus to the first hit of a WS. Then some WS copy the ftp value to all hits, but that's a property of the weaponskill, not of the fotia bonus - otherwise they'd be absolute and unquestioned best in slot for all ws in the game.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I think only bursted nukes and T3+ skillchains can routinely hit 99K damage.

And Flaming Crush, and Climatic Rudra.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kahraba
user: ashcrow
By Bahamut.Kahraba 2023-05-13 07:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

DID ANYONE find a way to fix mapping after update?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11