Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-04-13 18:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/rtx-remix
https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/rtx-remix/wiki

The RTX Remix runtime consists of two main parts: the Bridge, and the Renderer. The Bridge uses a d3d9.dll “interposer”, which when placed next to the game executable, captures the stream of rendering commands within the original 32-bit process of the game, and sends them to NvRemixBridge.exe, which is now a 64-bit process. This translation into a 64-bit instruction set gives you practically unlimited memory to play with, and better compatibility for modern ray tracing APIs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taJ7tJVFIPA

Aside from graphics overhaul, do you think this would change the way things work seeing how we apply dgvoodoo with a d3d9.dll

Looks like the dll is actually d3d8.dll
but...

While support for D3D9 is included in Remix out of the box, games that use other graphics APIs can also be made to work by utilizing translation layers that target D3D9. You will have to acquire these separately. For example, D3D8 games can be supported through D3D8to9
https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-04-14 07:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually have really bad luck with these kinds of things, but I hope someone tries it with XI. That said, I also don't like how XI looks with upscaled textures because I find it clashes with the polycount.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-04-14 08:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd still need something like dgvoodoo or D3D8to9, no getting around that as this can't replace those so it won't change anything there. Assuming the way the game is rendered is supported by RTXR (not guaranteed) then it could be used for a fan remaster, but good luck finding enough people willing to do the monstrous amount of work that it'd take to do the entire game. Might see a zone or two redone as a showcase but I'd be very surprised to find someone put in the effort to do more than that. Consider how long some of the ongoing texture remake projects have been ongoing, and those aren't adding the materials and other piddlepaddles that RT needs to function. Add in redoing every light source in the game and it starts getting even more nuts.
[+]
By alloy 2023-04-17 17:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

From what they've shown the editing tools are there to help automate a lot of the monotonous/numerous remastering tasks, FFXI areas are made-up of a lot of instanced geometry, believe it or not, even zone geometry, update one tree one door one bush one light fixture and every instance of that asset is updated. It's a lot more manageable than you think, same with gear, also tons of people want to mod the game, is just not possible beyond texture edits. This will make it much easier to do since it does all the reverse engineering for us.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-04-17 20:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Then you do it and send me the DL link when your done
[+]
By alloy 2023-04-18 12:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I do want to make some mods for my own personal curiosity, of course one person won't be able to do an hd upscale overnight and if you wanna make everything from scratch then it's gonna be a while. There's plenty of games out there where people have dedicated years and years of their own personal time to remaster their favorite game. Check out the re4 hd upgrade if you want a great example.

None of this will happen with the kind of pesinism I'm sensing here though
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-04-20 07:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a Google search alert for this post on GitHub

I think whoever it was got it to run and launch into FFXI from pol

https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/rtx-remix/issues/93

Question is what else are they running with it.
Do they have the memory mod, windower, dgvoodoo, etc

And more importantly how much worked out of box on the lighting
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2023-04-20 09:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Might need to use Atomos's DX8to9 proxy, it's purpose built for FFXI and very stable. I normally prefer DgVoodoo2 as I have a ton of experience using it to make older games work better on modern systems, but it proxies to DX11 and this RTX proxy wants it in DX9 first.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-04-20 10:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Says it right in his post

Quote:
Load into game as normal using d3d8to9.

Atomos' might work better but the crashing issue they're having is probably related to RTXR itself

If you look into his logs you can see that it's having trouble allocating enough memory.
 Shiva.Devastation
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Devastation 2023-04-20 14:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What would it take to make this happen with people from the community helping?
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-04-20 14:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Devastation said: »
What would it take to make this happen with people from the community helping?

Probably first some pics of what it looks like to gain traction.
There is some deeper work to be done after this by modders, but a few screenshots can give us an idea of if it is worth the investment.

I've been spending all my free time deep in a beta for dark and darker. The itch to subscribe and drop the dll in the pol folder is getting really strong now that that is over.

Note:rename the existing dll incase it goes bad.
[+]
By alloy 2023-04-22 09:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You drop the remix files into the pol folder, including the d3d8 wrapper. And thats as far as it goes for me lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
By spadira 2023-06-02 17:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh hey, dat me.

Here have a video -- ignore the stuttering -- I don't know why but every screen recording software I use does that, but it doesn't in game.

:)

It doesn't crash anymore with the new rtx version, but finding the right combination of options will be a pain.
[+]
By drakefs 2023-06-03 00:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
Question is what else are they running with it.
Do they have the memory mod, windower, dgvoodoo, etc

They are using https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9 for their D3 proxy. as for anything else, they technically shouldn't be running anything else until it is working with a vanilla.
 Bismarck.Nekhekh
Server: Bismarck
user: nekhekh
By Bismarck.Nekhekh 2023-06-03 11:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this available to all Nvidia GPUs?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-06-03 13:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes and no.

You need an RTX20 series or better to make RTX mods. Any GPU (nvidia, AMD, intel) works to run them as long as the GPU supports Vulkan, but you won't be using ray tracing on anything less than a 20 series either.
By spadira 2023-06-04 18:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It works with and without windower -- but XI pivot causes problems. If not using windower, then drop RTX files and d3d8to9 into the FFXI folder too. It -hates- the alpha textures in the game, so you end up with transparency everywhere unless you turn off the alphas, although I'm sure there is an option somewhere that would get them to work.
Selecting textures works fine -- but there are so many options and tweaks and RTX being so new, its hard to tell what is bad options and what is just incompatible.
Also, after a certain texture count it just...stops loading new textures -- prolly need to up the cache -- and creating a scene doesn't seem to work (or I can't get it to...)
 Bahamut.Arciele
Server: Bahamut
user: Spira
By Bahamut.Arciele 2023-06-16 04:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

spadira said: »
Here have a video -- ignore the stuttering -- I don't know why but every screen recording software I use does that, but it doesn't in game.

can't view anymore :\
By RadialArcana 2023-06-16 04:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't miss much, it was a video with extreme stuttering and the game looked the same except much worse with busted alpha textures and seems around the texture cuts.

Was also an overlay that displayed textures on the side.

Not to be mean, just describing the video itself.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [210 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Slythro
user: Slythro
By Ragnarok.Slythro 2024-01-12 01:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys. I'm currently working on remixing this now.

[+]
By SimonSes 2024-01-12 02:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***. This would be amazing..
I can easily see FFXI getting new life with proper application of Remix. I hope you will succeed!
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-01-12 02:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

does any 1 have Screenshots of nvidia remix ffxi
By K123 2024-01-12 03:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slythro said: »
Hi guys. I'm currently working on remixing this now.

Just looks weird
By alloy 2024-01-12 09:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, just getting remix to hook and work correctly is a pretty big deal, specially on a directx8 game lol. Btw how did you lol?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-12 12:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Using the default Nvidia launcher it looked very much borked. What proxy chain were you using to get it to render 2D correctly? Trying to go through windower would cause it to crash out after a few seconds during character selection.
 Ragnarok.Slythro
user: Slythro
By Ragnarok.Slythro 2024-01-13 03:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Set all settings for FFXI to their lowest. This is to disable various shaders that interfere with remix.

I used dxwrapper https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper and placed that in the PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer folder.

Downloaded latest version of RTX Remix https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/rtx-remix and unzipped it to the same PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer folder.

Disabled XIPivot in Windower

Launched game through Windower

Everything will probably look weird / missing here and there won't be a UI.

Do Alt + X to open the Remix menu

Go to Developer Settings Menu > Step 1: Categorize Textures

Need to select All textures that are a part of the UI and mark them as UI textures. They will now display normally.

Then you can load into your character.

Once in, you need to set Developer Settings Menu > Step 2: Parameter Tuning > Sky Tuning > Sky Auto Detect: By Camera Position.

This will allow you to actually see the scene.

Then it is a lot of tinkering with settings and categorizing certain textures that are interfering with remix.

I'm working on making a basic plug-and-play setup for it and hosting it on Nexus Mods hopefully soon, so that people can have an easy starting point for modding.

Right now I've been using Omniverse USD composer to modify captured scenes and basic AI upscaling and PBR material generation to check how they all work. Was able to get upscaled textures, new overwrite textures, reflections, parallax (3d texture effect), full mesh replacement, basic water replacement working.

2 Things I'm a bit stuck on currently is getting a proper sky set up and replacing the ocean.

It's a pain to set up, but the workflow isn't too bad once its all done.

On Jan 22, RTX Remix will be entering open beta and they will be releasing a separate RTX Toolkit to simplify texture / mesh / material replacement.

Hoping to get something on Nexus before then that people can just unzip and get right to creating their own texture mods that other people can just drop into their remix mods folder. Think will also setup a github for the basic setup, in case anyone else wants to contribute to it.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-13 11:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

For textures, we already have very well upscaled versions with AshenbubsHD-Basic. Is it the XIPivot leading mechanism that is breaking things and we would need to use Nvidia's instead?
First Page 2