Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Which job do you recommend for solo player nowdays
Which job do you recommend for solo player nowdays
By whereistooki 2022-09-23 10:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i just came back to the game and want to start new account, which job you recommend i focus on as DD and then Tank PLD or Run?
[+]
 Asura.Warmoose
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Hillclimb
By Asura.Warmoose 2022-09-23 12:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly it depends. COR will get you into almost any and all content these days if you want to sit and scan for shouts.

Tanks generally can as well. DDs you have two issues.. youre competing against a healthy population of WAR/DRK/other DDs, or a picky shouter saying they only want "R15DD only."

If youre looking to be a more non-conventional solo player, theres people who do cool stuff with solo BLU/RDM/DNC/NIN etc and just trust. But youre not really doing that as a new returnee as theres a degree of resources required.

Id say go with COR or a tank, then gear other dd's by association of gear youve acquired via/for COR. I think its harder for returning players otherwise because of how streamlined everyone has to have everything set up for runs.
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2022-09-23 12:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Highly recommend doing THF 1st, you will eventually need to farm something and having THF will save you a lot of time. Both PLD and RUN are easy to get started up and running, cant go wrong with either for tanking.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2022-09-23 15:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

DD - WAR

Thf is the best dd imo. Played right it can absolutely hang with any dd job and it does astounding things solo that other dd jobs just can't. BUT you better have top notch gear and lots of people that trust what you can do. Ill be your top dd almost every time yet I still rarely get invites as thf in dd needing content.

WAR can put out solid numbers with fair gear so no one feels they are taking a risk inviting a WAR as dd.

Tank - RUN

You'll need to learn the job properly if you don't already know it, but I found most of the gear very attainable to be quite a good RUN. Get an Epeo as soon as you can (start doing coalitions now, it takes months) and once you get that you are top level.

(Edit - pld is really easy to tank with but requires more PITA gear to obtain to be acceptable imo. RUN gear is just easier).

You didn't ask but also level BLU. Best job for random solo content. Nothing mass kills trash mobs like a blu.

Have fun!
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-09-23 16:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Q: Which job do you recommend for solo player nowdays?

A: RDM
By Vaerix 2022-09-23 16:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Q: Which job do you recommend for solo player nowdays?

A: PUP

Skill up your automaton and with your 1hr you can solo(no reliance on trusts) alot of things other jobs can't even touch. Even without 1hr PUP can solo quite a bit, and a large variety of content, HTBF's/Escha/Etc and is a relevant tank in most Endgame content (Omen, Dyna-D, some Gaol Bosses)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-09-23 17:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Warmoose said: »
COR will get you into almost any and all content these days if you want to sit and scan for shouts.

I strongly disagree on this blanket statement in today's meta. Gone are the days where you can rollcor and join content, unless it's like, this month's Ambuscade (I know you didn't say this, but I want to be fair based on the OP's situation). Now, you're expected to be able to deal magic WS, high dmg Savages, as well as now Bolters travel for Sortie. May not seem like much to you or I, but I don't think COR is the "startup job" it once was anymore IMHO. Don't get me wrong, COR is a phenomenal job to get into content, but as a fresh returnee, assuming this person does not have modern gear like Ikenga(shooting), Nyame, Relic+3/Emp+2 w/e else, I highly doubt they will contribute to a PUG very much.

I would say as far as a DD job goes, WAR is extremely entry level , comparably. It can use a number of weapons, gear, and can fit into every party comp in modern content. The easiest role it can fill as a DD only requires a Kaja Sword and a NQ Blurred shield, and base Sakpata gear. It doesn't require any JSE gear, besides maybe the Relic+3 mask for Warcry convenience, the rest is completely skippable or not mandatory to join anything. That's about as entry-level you can get and still contribute.

For tank job, it's a no-brainer IMO: PLD should be prioritized over RUN. Despite me being terrible at the job, PLD is far more user-friendly as a tank than RUN. RUN plays a bit different, and does rely on having much better gear to tank in multiple modes. PLD can cure it's way to success and doesn't have as many issues as RUN, such as being able to block without being engaged, and being able to Invincible if things get messy. RUN is still a great tank, but I wouldn't recommend a newer player pick it over PLD, personally. PLD can also use Sakpata's which is a top tier set, and Aegis is considerably easier to make than Epeolatry. I'd go PLD here.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-09-23 18:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd agree on the war for sure. Get the 5/5 R0 sakpata merced and full time it, you're good to go. Lowest effort you can get, even easier and more usable than monk right now. Doubles as your tank too, at least better than trust.

Too much effort to do the cor/brd/geo/whm thing. You can get war up and usable in 20 minutes. if you have 45 days in.
 Asura.Bitesized
user: Bitesized
By Asura.Bitesized 2022-09-24 08:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

1) RDM
2) BLU
[+]
By Shuko 2022-09-24 09:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna throw dancer in that list if your not in need of specific elements of magic damage
By saintdenis22 2022-09-24 10:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Solo player:

RDM for mìssion/content

WAR for end-game stuff

Advice from a very casual solo player
By SimonSes 2022-09-24 10:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

saintdenis22 said: »
Solo player:

RDMCOR for mìssion/content

WAR for end-game stuff

Advice from a very casual solo player

Bolter's roll > everything for missions
[+]
 Bahamut.Spookyfish
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Spookyfish 2022-09-26 11:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Same as what ever you were recommended 4 months ago?
[+]
By Thunderjet 2022-09-26 11:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

whereistooki said: »
PLD

Play whatever you want and paladin is the better tank now don't listen to ppl kk have fun
[+]
By whereistooki 2022-09-26 12:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderjet said: »
PLD

Play whatever you want and paladin is the better tank now don't listen to ppl kk have fun
what makes PLD better tank nowdays?
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-09-26 13:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

They can main heal the party now with Aoe cures while tanking
 Bahamut.Radda
Server: Bahamut
user: radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-09-26 13:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It really depends.

THF is a great job to lvl first to farm for things. It's what I did on this character after a 10 year break, and loss of my original account.

GEO (once available) will get you into just about all endgame content with very little cost in time/gil to be effective.

COR will absolutely get you into virtually all content, but good COR set ups cost a lot of time/gil to acquire, and you may be overlooked if you don't meet someone's idea of what is the bare minimum (not gatekeeping, just sayin...)

RDM kinda the same as COR. Highly sought, but expensive in time/gil to get all the required sets up to endgame levels.

I did THF first, then I did PLD. PLD opened a lot of doors, but even that was limited. After that I focused on COR as a main, and that, today, is still the job I play most.

In the end, however, I'd say you should just play whichever class you enjoy playing. I spent a lot of time and gil to make RNG because I just loved the job back in the day, in spite of the fact that RNG are not really sought in most content anymore. There is bound to be a LS that will take you in and run Dynamis, Omen, or what-have-you.

Welcome back!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-09-26 14:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

It's a combination of many things, but it centers around Majesty heals. PLD now has the ability to almost completely replace a conventional healer like SCH or WHM in favor of a support healer (GEO RDM), especially if they have Master Levels. This make for more flexible party comps.

Other than Majesty, which is a big contribution, PLD has an enhancement vs undead, which does cover a good portion of monsters in Odyssey and Sortie. They can also block without being engaged, which means mass pulls are easier to defend against vs RUN, who needs to engage to block damage. PLD also has enhanced Protect with their Shields, making everyone's party defense higher. And I mentioned earlier that PLD can use Sakpata set, which IMO is the best set in the game, even when unaugmented. It's so broken, and better than most sets RUN can get out of the gate. PLD also gets Banishga, which is a free tagging ability that can be spammed on Undead for a damage bonus (small benefit). Also, PLD gets basically a free pass with SIRD gear, and can even cap SIRD in their Cure Potency sets, meaning they can cure without ever being interrupted. SIRD set on RUN is possible, but it's nowhere near as tanky as PLDs IMO.

Something else often overlooked is how PLD gets almost "free" Phalanx + gear and RUN has to work so much harder for theirs. Souveran Hands/Feet give 8-10 Phalanx received, and Sakpata's Sword/Legs is another 10. PLD Reive cape also gives 1~5 with augments. With almost no effort, PLD can get +25 Phalanx in gear without ever going to Oseem, compared to RUN who can get +7 with the +3 helm (which requires a midboss dynamis windy clear), and the next closest option for "Easy" phalanx is between Taeon armor and Deacon sword, which is only +3 and +4 respectively. Otherwise, RUN has to rely on DM augments to get Phalanx + on Herc gear, which is kind of tough to get. My RUN has +29 Phalanx in gear, with 2 +5 and 2 +4 Phalanx pieces, and it took YEARS to build. PLD can get almost all of that overnight.

When you add up all of those factors, PLD is a "better" tank (I still wouldn't say better, but much easier to put together and fit in most setups).
 Asura.Sensarity
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2022-09-26 15:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The best job for solo play is an IRL one so you can buy gil and get the gear you need to join pugs
[+]
By Vaerix 2022-09-26 17:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

It's a combination of many things, but it centers around Majesty heals. PLD now has the ability to almost completely replace a conventional healer like SCH or WHM in favor of a support healer (GEO RDM), especially if they have Master Levels. This make for more flexible party comps.

Other than Majesty, which is a big contribution, PLD has an enhancement vs undead, which does cover a good portion of monsters in Odyssey and Sortie. They can also block without being engaged, which means mass pulls are easier to defend against vs RUN, who needs to engage to block damage. PLD also has enhanced Protect with their Shields, making everyone's party defense higher. And I mentioned earlier that PLD can use Sakpata set, which IMO is the best set in the game, even when unaugmented. It's so broken, and better than most sets RUN can get out of the gate. PLD also gets Banishga, which is a free tagging ability that can be spammed on Undead for a damage bonus (small benefit). Also, PLD gets basically a free pass with SIRD gear, and can even cap SIRD in their Cure Potency sets, meaning they can cure without ever being interrupted. SIRD set on RUN is possible, but it's nowhere near as tanky as PLDs IMO.

Something else often overlooked is how PLD gets almost "free" Phalanx + gear and RUN has to work so much harder for theirs. Souveran Hands/Feet give 8-10 Phalanx received, and Sakpata's Sword/Legs is another 10. PLD Reive cape also gives 1~5 with augments. With almost no effort, PLD can get +25 Phalanx in gear without ever going to Oseem, compared to RUN who can get +7 with the +3 helm (which requires a midboss dynamis windy clear), and the next closest option for "Easy" phalanx is between Taeon armor and Deacon sword, which is only +3 and +4 respectively. Otherwise, RUN has to rely on DM augments to get Phalanx + on Herc gear, which is kind of tough to get. My RUN has +29 Phalanx in gear, with 2 +5 and 2 +4 Phalanx pieces, and it took YEARS to build. PLD can get almost all of that overnight.

When you add up all of those factors, PLD is a "better" tank (I still wouldn't say better, but much easier to put together and fit in most setups).

I wouldn't say PLD gets a better "tanky" SIRD set. RUN can cap pdt/mdt/SIRD and have decent HP/meva, but anything else you want after that, PLD completely destroys RUN. Enmity and cure potency all require trade offs for other tanking stats which is the biggest problem RUN faces vs PLD.

The ability to AoE tag without subjob and cure effectively are other huge benefits PLD has over RUN.

Currently, RUN's biggest advantages are massive Spike Enmity JA's and Foil(for now). PLD gets rampart, but RUN having Valiance, Liement with Epeo, and One For All really makes a big difference for huge spike enmity outside of Sentinel/Rampart recast.

Once PLD picks up Foil from /RUN its going to be hard to say PLD isn't the better tank simply because banishga followed by foil is basically aoe flash. Let alone being able to cap enmity/sird/cure potency simultaneously with DT.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-26 18:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You need gil to gear anything and THF will allow you to get better drop rates for items you need to upgrade or sellables. I always recommend THF to returning players, because not only does it help to fund the jobs you want to play, but also get around faster with Flee and movement speed boots.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-26 18:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
You need gil to gear anything and THF will allow you to get better drop rates for items you need to upgrade or sellables. I always recommend THF to returning players, because not only does it help to fund the jobs you want to play, but also get around faster with Flee and movement speed boots.
I've always found Thief to be the game's most convenient job. I have a hard time not defaulting to it for nearly everything. It's fun, it has satisfying gameplay moments, it has some utility with its enmity control and status bolts, Treasure Hunter is one of the most useful things in the entire game, Flee is handy...
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2022-09-26 20:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly IMO, if you are a solo player you probably wont get very far alone. Most people are solo players running 5 bot accounts with every cheat in the book and don't even play the game or they run with their friends and only their friends, everyone else they look at like potential dollar signs. Not to mention the unworthy ego's a lot of players have when they bought all their progress/accounts. (Generally speaking.)
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-09-27 06:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say that PLD > RUN, but I can easily say that PLD has never been better and is more user friendly. Another overlooked plus of PLD is that you can make a converts damage to MP set that will just passively fill up your MP when you don't have a sub job, competent party comps, or life comes at you sideways. DD options are much improved as well.

I main RDM. I can easily recommend WAR or PLD for a first job for how usable they are over my own personal favorite job because I know how long it takes to get the mountain of gear that a RDM needs.

THF is an amazing murder machine as stated above, can definitely recommend. BLU and PUP are more dense as far as what's required to get it running and understand the play style, but they both have extreme utility that is hard to replicate elsewhere.

Get to Zurim and Sortie as fast as you can in order to get to much higher gear that you can normally acquire when starting out.