https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2022-06-20 10:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if Aliekber fixed his crossbar lag issues on this device.

Looks like a solid purchase either way
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-06-20 13:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been meaning to try this out now that I've got mine. Not sure how much I'd play it on Deck vs PC, but it'll be nice to have nonetheless.

Apparently Windower works too, not sure I could go back to vanilla at this point.
 Bahamut.Demoncard
Server: Bahamut
user: Demoncard
By Bahamut.Demoncard 2022-06-20 23:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

*cracks knuckles* Looks like little Gabe 'ere needs to be reminded of hardware limitations! Come on - mister Tanaka, we gots weurk to do.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-06-21 00:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why I pre order one, but gonna be until OCT...
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2022-06-21 02:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Demetreos said: »
Apparently Windower works too, not sure I could go back to vanilla at this point.
It *mostly* works, you can't use keybinds like insert to bring up the windower screen, but all // commands work.

Edit: I'm on desktop arch, not the steam deck, but I followed windower's guide to the deck to the letter to get things up and running.
By Starbucks 2022-06-21 04:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I only ever played with keyboard. I bought FFXI for Xbox 360 (graphics were shite and no Windower so it was pointless but fun) and just used a keyboard for that anyway. People that started out on controller can probably play it just fine but there's no way you can play as well as a keyboard user.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2022-06-21 07:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just carry around a keyboard then, it accepts Bluetooth input.
https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Portable-Lightweight-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00BX0YKX4/
By Starbucks 2022-06-21 08:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
Just carry around a keyboard then, it accepts Bluetooth input.
https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Portable-Lightweight-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00BX0YKX4/
No numpad, u mad bro?

Numpad users = master race
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
Server: Asura
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2022-06-21 09:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm seriously considering ordering a SteamDeck at some point in the future... looks like a lot of fun. It's too bad about the unavailability.

Starbucks said: »
I only ever played with keyboard. I bought FFXI for Xbox 360 (graphics were shite and no Windower so it was pointless but fun) and just used a keyboard for that anyway. People that started out on controller can probably play it just fine but there's no way you can play as well as a keyboard user.

Keyboard players are still trying to pretend they have a huge advantage over controller players..? So weird.

With efficient macro setup you can be more than fast enough for the spell/ability delay, so controller is not meaningfully worse off there. Moreover, controller actually has the advantage in target acquisition with the dpad (+ f8 via custom bind).
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-06-21 16:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Disclai said: »
I'm seriously considering ordering a SteamDeck at some point in the future... looks like a lot of fun. It's too bad about the unavailability.

Keyboard players are still trying to pretend they have a huge advantage over controller players..? So weird.

With efficient macro setup you can be more than fast enough for the spell/ability delay, so controller is not meaningfully worse off there. Moreover, controller actually has the advantage in target acquisition with the dpad (+ f8 via custom bind).
Didn't know you could type spellcast commands with a controller. Have hotkeys, use AutoHotKey etc etc
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-06-21 19:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't know you could type spellcast commands with a controller. Have hotkeys, use AutoHotKey etc etc

Controller players work perfectly fine ... as long as everything goes exactly as planned and nothing happens they didn't think about. The moment something needs to happen that they didn't plan for and have pre-made macros for it gets dicey. Alt+W, ALT+J and even ALT+M are just faster. And that's before we get into windower / gearswap customization.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-06-21 19:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to use keyboard, and I can admit, with muscle memory, it’s extremely convenient for both typing and efficiency/speed. Being able to alt/ctrl+ # for any macros is markedly quicker than using the dpad to navigate to the correct macros. Using shortcuts is also a lot easier on keyboard, as it essentially frees up macro slots on frequent actions (dia, geo spell tagging, using runes quickly). Over the years, though, I’ve practically stopped using keyboard to play in favor of controller. The reason was because with keyboard, I would have to occasionally look down at my keyboard when trying to quickly use macros with the number bar, but with controller, I can focus totally on the screen. Also, I like reckoning in my chair when I’m playing, which is a little bit harder to do with a keyboard. I’ve just about lost the muscle memory from playing on a keyboard, controller now feels more comfortable. Think they both have pros and cons.

I would buy this stream deck if it wasn’t too much trouble to set up. I’d love a ffxi mobile device.
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2022-06-21 19:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As it happens, yeah, you can create custom binds for all those things on controller.

And it's not as if it's super inconvenient to use a keyboard occasionally while using a controller.
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-06-22 08:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »
It *mostly* works, you can't use keybinds like insert to bring up the windower screen, but all // commands work.

Edit: I'm on desktop arch, not the steam deck, but I followed windower's guide to the deck to the letter to get things up and running.
Interesting. I wonder why and if there's a way around that. I'll probably install it this weekend and give it a shot.

I presume addons and stuff are working more or less fine though?
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2022-06-23 02:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting. I wonder why and if there's a way around that. I'll probably install it this weekend and give it a shot.

I presume addons and stuff are working more or less fine though?

That is the way around it, for now. The linuxfix addon was needed to get any keyboard functionality back at all, and it sacrifices those keybinds.

The other issue is you can't install stuff from the windower launcher, as it goes from the splash screen to pol. Not a big issue since you can do it manually, but it's why I think functionally is about 95%.

All the addons I use seem to work fine but I'll be the first to admit that's a small number. This is all I have installed: GearSwap,enternity,latentchecker,distance,shortcuts,AutoRA
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-06-23 08:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »
That is the way around it, for now. The linuxfix addon was needed to get any keyboard functionality back at all, and it sacrifices those keybinds.

The other issue is you can't install stuff from the windower launcher, as it goes from the splash screen to pol. Not a big issue since you can do it manually, but it's why I think functionally is about 95%.

All the addons I use seem to work fine but I'll be the first to admit that's a small number. This is all I have installed: GearSwap,enternity,latentchecker,distance,shortcuts,AutoRA
Ah right okay.

I can live with that, I'd be copying my Windower folder over more or less entirely anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. Honestly as long as gearswap worked I could probably manage without anything else.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2022-06-23 08:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah right okay.

I can live with that, I'd be copying my Windower folder over more or less entirely anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. Honestly as long as gearswap worked I could probably manage without anything else.

Gearswap works great but you might have to tinker w/ some of the luas. I use a modified version of a fairly complex rdm one (Elizabet's) and was fighting with it for an embarassing amount of time before I realized the font they were using to draw their HUD wasn't installed. I moved it from my windows install and it still didn't work (probably some sort of register thing I have to run or something). Eventually I just deleted the line calling out the font and everything worked.
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-06-23 14:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the SteamDeck is absolutely amazing and the whole reason I finally joined the Nintendo bandwagon of handheld gaming since the SWITCH is an actual powerful portable gaming machine.

I’m not so certain I would want to play FFXI on such a device though being I prefer the real estate space of an actual Monitor but for other gaming I am certain SteamDeck would be fantastic. Just not FPS gaming like Overwatch nor MMO like FFXI.

Y’all prefer playing FFXI on SteamDeck over PC now for those whom do indeed own the device?
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-06-23 16:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Did Avesta play with controller? I always Hennessy the ways he lives through macro pallets was weird
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2022-06-25 05:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a note for anyone trying this, Proton 7.0-3 broken my install until I changed the launch options to
Code
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% -p=""
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-07-11 10:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally got around to installing XI on the Deck and for whatever reason it's refusing to acknowledge anything I set in the config tool.

It defaults to 4:3 aspect ratio and completely ignores the gamepad settings.

Completely vanilla game atm.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [80 days between previous and next post]
By RadialArcana 2022-09-29 07:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got one, it's such a good machine.

The best part of it for me is that when you boot it up, every single game you ever bought on Steam is there for you to play on this handheld.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-09-29 09:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's great. I legit use it more than my PC for games that aren't XI now.
By Dazusu 2022-09-29 10:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Which would be cool if you played anything other than XI.
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-09-29 11:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dazusu said: »

Which would be cool if you played anything other than XI.
I also play FFX thank you very much.

[+]
 Shiva.Mlrlohki
Server: Shiva
user: Mlrlohki
By Shiva.Mlrlohki 2022-09-29 11:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Been running into an issue. It’ll run great a few times, then it will load but the screen will be black (still get audio though). Sometimes changing to a different proton version will fix for a while, but a few loads later, it’ll do it again.
By RadialArcana 2022-09-29 11:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

are you running it vanilla? if you're using mods you maybe having probleme because of the 2 gig limit and exceeding it. Thorny made a fix for that.
 Shiva.Mlrlohki
Server: Shiva
user: Mlrlohki
By Shiva.Mlrlohki 2022-09-29 12:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Just vanilla, went straight off the steam install (and boy was that tedious. 7-8 hours of updating)
 Siren.Demetreos
By Siren.Demetreos 2022-09-29 12:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I had nothing but trouble with the Steam install. Installing it through SteamOS and adding it to Steam seems to fair better.