2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » General » Balloon Story Addon
Balloon Story Addon
First Page 2
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 15:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This addon was made by a JP addon creator called Hando and given English support by Yuki. It basically sends all NPC and story dialogue to the chat balloon. I'm posting it since they asked for someone to do so.

Example images:

Video example of the original addon.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Link to addon that was posted on the windower discord:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/641259466494574602/879961675678220338/Balloon.zip

To install this in windower, just put the baloon folder in your windower addon folder and then in the game type //lua l balloon

Development is ongoing but it's usable right now.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 15:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Bladework
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Bladework
By Asura.Bladework 2021-09-08 15:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it’s fantastic.

This will become a staple for anyone ever looking to return and play through the story. Maybe the Windower folks can incorporate it into the launcher menu eventually.

Arigatogozaimas!
By Draylo 2021-09-08 15:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Very cool addon, enjoyed it so far.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-08 16:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems real useful for controller plus television players so they can actually see the dang text
 Ragnarok.Trixi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2021-09-08 18:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that it isn't a nice little visual addon if you come from xiv I guess, but what's the appeal?
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 19:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're used to playing normal RPG titles you will be used to having story presented in this fashion, so it has an old school rpg feel to it which is very appealing to some.

Also the way the game just shunts all the story into the text box is not only poor from a presentation standpoint but because of how the game works, you very often get the story pushed off the screen from party chat or /yell etc.

Also due to how this addon works you can make custom story box backgrounds for it, here is one I made.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Cesil
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-09-08 23:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for this! I love it :)
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-15 06:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Some info for Yuki if needed, before I forget what I did.

The font I swapped to, that seemed to offer far better character support is "Meiryo"

I fixed the disappearing bubble sometimes by altering line 141, I think it happens if it registers movement at the exact moment you talk to the npc.

"if moving == true then close_balloon () end" to "If moving == true then end"

at line 289 I changed the delay time to 30 seconds, this kept the balloon from closing in 5 seconds before you could read it under certain circumstances.

I'm not a lua coder, I just fiddled with it and it seemed to have no negative impact and fix the problems I was having. Hope it helps improve the addon.

balloon png

https://i.imgur.com/V3pYCuZ.png
[+]
By Draylo 2021-10-01 15:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes the text is empty, on all NPCs. Even reloading doesn't fix, not sure what happened.
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2021-10-01 16:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Oooo this will make the Voracious Resurgence even better.
[+]
By Draylo 2021-10-04 19:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Sometimes the text is empty, on all NPCs. Even reloading doesn't fix, not sure what happened.

Anyone else running into this? Happens to work with 1 character but the rest is blank.
By RadialArcana 2021-10-05 05:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you using the original one or the one I made? Have you tried deleting the addon and re-adding it?

Yuki is working on an update, he doesn't use XIAH though. According to the windower discord.
[+]
By mhomho 2021-10-05 07:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
old school rpg
Didn't realize FFXI was suddenly new school or even modern. If anything, the chat bubbles are more modernized in comparison to older rpg's.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-10-05 08:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

mhomho said: »
old school rpg
Didn't realize FFXI was suddenly new school or even modern. If anything, the chat bubbles are more modernized in comparison to older rpg's.

its more that the modernized RPGs that you see using chat bubbles are returning to that style from 25+ years ago. Talking stuff that didn't have a general chat box for damage/effects and all communication scripts happened in temporary chat boxes vs a constant space we see now.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2021-10-05 12:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets be real; they always existed (mostly RPGs), but we can't deny that technology has effectively allowed for them to change in a way that couldn't exist when, well some of us played in the 80's or 90's.

Some exmaples.

It really comes down to the game, but having voiceovers now has changed a lot imo.
They don't nearly have to try to put any where near as much expression through text since they can convey it through voice or facial expressions.
[+]
By Draylo 2021-10-22 21:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This has just stopped working entirely for me, just a blank box. I've tried reinstalling new and still same issue. Must be another addon messing with it
 Asura.Nebohh
Server: Asura
user: Kealohaa
By Asura.Nebohh 2021-10-22 22:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Still works for me. Don't know what other addons you're using.
By Draylo 2021-10-23 19:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

There are too many to list, is nobody else having the issue? Even multi boxing? Is there any support for the addon or?
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-11-16 11:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The good news is the bubbles work. The bad news is they seem to have a habit of immediately disappearing before I can read them.
I think i've narrowed down what caused it. It seems like logging out/in makes them act that way from what I can tell?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [68 days between previous and next post]
By RadialArcana 2022-01-23 10:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This is an addon that a lot of people have worked on over the years, it was originally called Balloon and was basically a copy of the onscreen story dialogue system in FF14. It was made by a JP player called Hando, and then Yuki added English support.

However it had a lot of issues, I waited about 6 months for Yuki to finish it off but it seemed as though they lost interest in it. Since I really liked it, I tried to finish it off and make it more fitting to XI. Kenshi helped me with some annoying issues, such as character recognition.

Balloonblue.

YouTube Video Placeholder

The addon adds a what looks like a 3rd chat window and all text that comes from a cut-scene or NPC (also things like home points) is also displayed onto that. It auto hides when not needed.

The balloon can be moved with the mouse and the new position is saved. The text is still displayed in the normal chat log.

It works with enter key, mouse button (just don't press the left mouse button on the addon itself) and gamepad.

When talking to an NPC (or in a cut) that requires a prompt to continue it will stay on the screen until you give one.

If you talk to an npc that does not want an enter to proceed it will wait 5 seconds and close.

If you're fighting and the monster says something (for example Odin or some Ambuscade monsters) it will display for 5 seconds and close.

Pressing enter will always close the window before it auto times out in 5 seconds.

Turn off enternity or it will just skip the bubbles along obviously.

Download the zip, put the folder in your windower addon folder and start it by typing

//lua l balloonblue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o4Epm3bi31jlQBT1sviPGOKOS8xgfWNx/view?usp=sharing
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [96 days between previous and next post]
By GhostyStar 2022-04-29 18:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I've made some modifications on top of this here: https://github.com/StarlitGhost/Balloon

ver 0.9 30/3/22 Ghosty's first modifications.
  • Added a bunch of FFXIV-like features; animated advancement prompt, background for names, dark balloon with light text for system messages.

• Added the ability to load custom balloons based on NPC names (make a folder called character_balloons and create eg: Iroha.png).

• Added settings and commands for soft maximum line length, promptless close delay, prompt animation, and closing by movement.

• Added a command to generate test balloons.

• More reliable closing-on-movement, for less balloons closing randomly in the middle of conversations.

ver 0.9.1 27/5/22 Better word wrapping.
  • Rewrote the word wrapping function to obey a strict character count, maximum line length is now an actual maximum.

• Improved ellipses and dash handling (no more "......" becoming "... ...").

• Better Japanese language support, by making it switch fonts automatically when first loaded [English: Segoe UI, Japanese: Meiryo] (the font can still be changed in settings.xml afterwards).

https://github.com/StarlitGhost/Balloon/releases/tag/v0.9.1

I'd welcome PRs if anyone wants to add more features! I couldn't find an existing GitHub repo so I figured I'd just make one.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
By GhostyStar 2022-05-30 18:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello again!

I've rewritten a big chunk of the addon to support multiple themes, and live-loading of those themes.

FFXI theme:

SNES FF theme: (uses this free font: https://www.dafont.com/depixel.font - will fall back to Segoe UI/Meiryo if you don't have it)

default/FFXIV theme:

Each of those also has a 'system' variant, like in my last post.

You can switch between these with:
Code
//bl theme ffxi
//bl theme snes-ff
//bl theme default

I'm still planning to make a few more (FF Tactics/Tactics Advance style, FFVII-R subtitle style), but I'd be very happy if anyone else wants to make some and share! Maybe a GitHub PR even? :)

Each theme is a subdirectory under themes/<theme name>/, with balloon.png, system.png, name-bg.png, advance-prompt.png, and theme.xml which has all the image offsets and font settings.

ver 0.10 30/5/22 Theme support.
  • Rewrote a large chunk of the addon to support multiple themes, and live-loading of those themes.

• Added FFXI and SNES FF themes.

• Moved line length setting to each individual theme.xml

• Per-character balloons still work, they now go under eg: themes/<theme>/characters/Iroha.png

https://github.com/StarlitGhost/Balloon/releases/tag/v0.10

I'm also on the Windower discord, @Ghosty in #unofficial-addons if you want to ask questions there.
[+]
By Onimaru 2022-05-30 19:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya, Kinda new using the addon. Love it so far, but would like to know if there was a way to increase font size. I cant seem to find a command or anything related to it.
By GhostyStar 2022-05-30 19:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Onimaru said: »
Heya, Kinda new using the addon. Love it so far, but would like to know if there was a way to increase font size. I cant seem to find a command or anything related to it.
Yes, you'll have to edit <Size>10</Size> under <Message> in the theme's theme.xml, and probably lower <MaxLength>81</MaxLength> so the text still fits.

You can refresh it in-game with eg //bl theme default to see how you're changing it (MaxLength needs a new line of dialogue to apply)

I might make commands to set those, it would be convenient when I'm making themes too!
[+]
By Onimaru 2022-05-30 20:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank u, sir
By GhostyStar 2022-05-31 15:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

ver 0.11 31/5/22 Scaling.
https://github.com/StarlitGhost/Balloon/releases/tag/v0.11.1

Another update! I've added a scale command to change the size of the balloon, both the images and the fonts at the same time.
Hopefully now you won't have to go manually changing the theme.xml files if you just want it bigger or smaller!

Use //bl scale <scale> in-game, where <scale> is a decimal multiplier like 1.2
[+]
By GhostyStar 2022-06-03 16:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

ver 0.11.2 3/6/22 FFVII-R Subtitle Theme.
https://github.com/StarlitGhost/Balloon/releases/tag/v0.11.2

I made a new theme based on the dialogue subtitles in FFVII Remake.

The font used is a free one called Libre Franklin Medium https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Libre+Franklin
It was the closest I could find to match the paid one that Remake actually uses, FOT-スキップ Std M https://eng.fontke.com/font/10602156/
It will fall back to Meiryo/Segoe UI if you don't install it.

I just played through the ending of Chains of Promathia with this, and it looks great in cutscenes!

//bl theme ffvii-r if you want to switch to it!
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-06-04 01:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the update but last patch I had it set to not show dialogue in the bottom left SE box while instead only showing dialogue in the Balloon itself. I dont recall how I was able to toggle such ON tbh. I can only guess such was listed on the old github page of the prior patch. How do we do that?

Edit : Nvm I found it. Such was indeed listed on the old prior link GitHub page as such. Thx anyways.

Log display.
//Bl 1
Balloon display. Log hidden.
By GhostyStar 2022-06-04 04:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

//bl help lists all the commands in the chat, and they're in the readme.txt of the addon folder too.

I figured linking the release zips would make it easier to download, and easier to go back to an earlier version if you find something broken.
[+]
First Page 2