are they weak to wind or something, why jinpu
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-10 14:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hybrids are busted AF
Hybrids are even stronger when you are super-buffed because you can improve both halves of the equation (physical and magical)
Jinpu makes SC with itself infinitely without having to think about skillchain properties or which button to hit

This is pretty much the answer any time you see a recommendation to use Jinpu. It's also really accessible so chances are any random SAM you pick up (or maybe you!) will have this. Making a strategy around a St5 prime GKT doing a 4-step SC might also do 99k, but it's not braindead enough.
[+]
By Taint 2024-06-10 14:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Especially if Wind Threnody II sticks. Then its on like Donkey Kong.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-10 15:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
[+]
By K123 2024-06-10 15:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

buttplug said: »
Very Difficult
BRD/GEO/GEO/SAM/SAM/SCH
Tachi: Jinpu Skillchain > Dojikiri Yasutsuna

Kill Order > PET / DRG / MNK / Ignore WHM
BRD > Horde Lullaby II
Dispel > BRD Songs

BRD > March X2 + Lightning Carol X2
GEO #1 > Geo-Frailty + Indi-Fury / Entrust-STR
GEO #2 > Geo-Malaise + Indi-Acumen / Entrust-STR
SAM > Omelette sandwich +1
SCH > Enhancing Magic / Windstorm II + Adloquium

Barwater + Barparalyze
Tried this and both SAMs got raped by the Sea Monk. No Idris though and Jinpu did 30k, Sea Monk hit for 1k.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-10 15:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

My notes from last time this one came around:

Quote:
DD DD BRD COR GEO WHM

Sam/Chaos, HMarch 2 minuet lightning carol, barthunder
Keep up shadows if you have them, their stun can be quite annoying.
Pull the 2 MNKs and 2 DRGs back to the entrance and sleep them. Go kill the WHM ontop of the BRD. After the WHM is dead, pull a single mob over to the BRD one at a time and kill them.
If you kill all the mobs before they start respawning, you can kill the BRD. If not, keep killing adds until she dies.
Might be a good idea to silence the BRD, we did fine either way.

Doesn't list the GEO stuff unfortunately. I'd say Barrier/Frailty/entrust-Haste, personally. Haven't tried this one yet this month.

Been a while since this rotated in but I seem to remember killing the kraken in-place in the center of the arena, but I'm not positive.
By K123 2024-06-10 15:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confident this will work:
PLD SAM BRD WHM COR COR

PLD holds mobs, sleep them, do Samurai, Chaos, Gallant's, Misers/Tact. 4 step Doji.
By buttplug 2024-06-10 15:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I was on SAM in the group... Actually i think maybe they swapped bubbles to Indi-Wilt + Indi-Barrier on the MNK mobs... Pretty sure buffs where Protect / Shell / Regen / Phalanx / Barthundra / Lightning Carol maybe a Minne... Never got raped was capped DT and Omelette sandwich... We cleared both style Tachi: Jinpu or 4 Step skillchain... But I think light SC damage was healing sometimes...
By K123 2024-06-10 16:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it true they are piercing weak?
By Dodik 2024-06-10 16:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

FWIW, physical WS can do capped dmg with idris frailty only when fighting on top of brd. Don't "need" hybrids, nor need to double up malaise/acumen and frailty/fury, already capped with the geo spell if idris.

Also second entrust should switch to something else, the second indi-str won't do anything if it's already on from other geo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2024-06-10 17:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This game is too hard for me so I'm using DRG to basically stunlock the mobs. This is especially useful on those scumbag MNKs. DRG is King!

DRG WAR BRD COR WHM GEO
March x2, Minuet x1, Madrigal x1
Indi-Barrier, Geo-Frailty, Entrust-Precision
SAM, Chaos Roll

Everybody target the same mob. Open with Leg Sweep, everybody else is just using Savage Blade. I can usually get a Diarmuid in between Leg Sweeps. Crank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKr_9k5HQWI&t=480s
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-10 18:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU works for that too. BLU in place of a 2nd DD in a 'normal' setup works great and makes the fight a lot safer.

btw you mention not knowing how to prevent Virelai so: you can stop it by making sure she's silenced during Soul Voice. Need to land 4 other debuffs before you can Silence her. She removes debuffs every 2mins
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-06-10 18:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
BLU works for that too. BLU in place of a 2nd DD in a 'normal' setup works great and makes the fight a lot safer.

btw you mention not knowing how to prevent Virelai so: you can stop it by making sure she's silenced during Soul Voice. Need to land 4 other debuffs before you can Silence her. She removes debuffs every 2mins
Do the debuffs have to be things like Paralysis etc. or can they be like defense down and such?

Could slam some Full Break on that hoe and take care of all 4 debuffs in a single WS :O!

(or well I guess not since you kill it last, but I'm all about Full Break these days)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-10 18:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Idr if it had to specifically be enfeebling magic or not. It's ultimately easier not to silence her and just kill her fast because the sahagins will start leveling up if you miss stuns on their TP moves while she's silenced but, that is the way you avoid charm otherwise.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-10 19:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I remembered the BRD going through a rotation of songs before getting to charm. Like after she's finished doing her round of 6 buffs or w/e the number is, then she starts charming. That's how I remember it being anyway.

This ambu really is about striking the balance between doing enough damage and getting yourself killed.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-10 20:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

She does, during SV she does the song rotation and the last one is Virelai (like WoC), that's why if you are killing slow, having her silenced at least for SV is good.
By ForteGSX 2024-06-11 00:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if this was mentioned previously but if you kill all of the adds and nothing is up but the brd, you can attack the brd and kill it before it has a chance to summon anything else. Mind you I remember doing this the last time this ambu was around and havent done it this time around so maybe that got patched out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By K123 2024-06-11 03:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So would regular stun from DRK not just work as well?
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2024-06-14 19:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

(Starts about 25mins in)
Alternative I saw, still needs everyone to be super well geared though.
They open breakga, silence the BRD and kill WHM > Manta > MNK > MNK > DRG > DRG > BRD
They just bulldoze through the level ups.
By Tathamet 2024-06-15 16:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Especially if Wind Threnody sticks. Then its on like Donkey Kong.
Aren't tier 2 threnodies better? How I'm reading BG I'm not getting the sense tier 1 would be better.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-15 16:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course they mean 2, but no one ever differentiates 1 from 2, it's just implied that you know
By Tathamet 2024-06-15 16:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, they're quoting the post above them which explicitly stated they used tier 2. Wondering if there is something I'm missing here.

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-15 16:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
So would regular stun from DRK not just work as well?

normal stun has half or less the duration of leg sweep/sudden lunge (unresisted sweep/lunge can be 5x or more the duration of a regular stun spell). the idea is keeping the mobs from being able to do anything
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-15 17:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Tathamet said: »
To be fair, they're quoting the post above them which explicitly stated they used tier 2. Wondering if there is something I'm missing here.

He edited his post to fix it, prior to my comment it said Wind Carol. Eiryl is correct, I was just putting Threnody assuming anyone who knows BRD would fill in the gap of Threnody = Threnody II. I was just replacing the word in his existing sentence, nothing to see here.
By Tathamet 2024-06-15 17:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

;) thanks for clarifying