Qutrub Ambuscade V1
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-12-10 23:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is the Bigwig so resistant to Frazzle/Distract? Boo.

Fun seeing the occasional 20k Enfire round when he TPs though.
 Asura.Jdove
Server: Asura
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-12-10 23:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Zeto said: »
tank/smn + whm/rdm/sch/smn
It looks like you have smn in this setup.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-12-11 00:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone having hate reset on mega boss around 30%?? Keeps running away from DDs and going straight for the PLD holding the adds.

Tried using a NIN to keep hate on the mega, but even with voke and WS the mega boss was running to the PLD, doing Triple Reversal, and killing our tank.

Could it be because the PLD built hate at the start?
By Pantafernando 2020-12-11 01:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »

According to BG, Qutrub family has higher elemental resistance to ice and darkness, what are frazzle and distract elements.
By Pantafernando 2020-12-11 01:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
Pandemonium.Zeto said: »
tank/smn + whm/rdm/sch/smn
It looks like you have smn in this setup.

He meant sub SMN, not full job SMN.

His point is that he dont want to bring a SMN to the party just for mew, as this role can be sucessfully replicated by two or three /SMN
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2020-12-11 01:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Botosi said: »
Anyone having hate reset on mega boss around 30%?? Keeps running away from DDs and going straight for the PLD holding the adds.

Tried using a NIN to keep hate on the mega, but even with voke and WS the mega boss was running to the PLD, doing Triple Reversal, and killing our tank.

Reflecting on this what I think was happening was I had a small amount of Cumulative Enmity on the MB from having to Cure myself occasionally. Enmity in Ambuscade is automatically registered on any given action even if you have not performed any action on a given target.

Way around it would be to use Regen V or see if more distance helps. Reprisal is only Volatile Enmity which decays quickly so it likely was not that, the Cures might have been what did it. The Cumulative Enmity generated would have been reduced since it was split between multiple targets but it was still enough to bring the MB over.
[+]
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-12-11 07:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I noticed this behavior on Easy in Solo mode, in fact it's one way to easily beat the move at 30%. It seems to erase hate on the person who is at the top of the hate list at the moment the weapon breaks. Here is how I came to that conclusion.

The entire fight I'm obviously the tank and voking, ws'ing for 99k etc. None of my trust have anywhere near the hate as me... then at 30%, the instant the weapon breaks I turn and switch to the first mob that pops. This always makes the main NM go after the second on the hate list (Matsui-P) in my case. And me provoking doesn't even get it back. After 1-2 99K WS's and 99K sc's he's back on me. This allows me to beat both of the two adds while hate for the main NM is on Matsui-P and I avoid the nasty move. Now the other strategy I put forth I feel is more reliable but I found this so odd I almost made a second strategy going over this. Hope this helps.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-12-11 10:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

According to BG, Qutrub family has higher elemental resistance to ice and darkness, what are frazzle and distract elements.

Frazzle = Dark, Distract = Fire, but I can land Blind II, Paralyze II and Addle II on it no problem. Just seems very resistant to Frazzle and Distract specifically. Not a big deal, just something I thought was odd.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-11 11:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Dumbass idle musing: is the Mnejing trust immune to endeath the way player automatons are?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-12-11 13:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »

Reflecting on this what I think was happening was I had a small amount of Cumulative Enmity on the MB from having to Cure myself occasionally. Enmity in Ambuscade is automatically registered on any given action even if you have not performed any action on a given target.

Way around it would be to use Regen V or see if more distance helps. Reprisal is only Volatile Enmity which decays quickly so it likely was not that, the Cures might have been what did it. The Cumulative Enmity generated would have been reduced since it was split between multiple targets but it was still enough to bring the MB over.

That's what happens if you've only got 1 DD on the megaboss. Almost all of his moves have some kind of hate reset. If one of the DDs died, the remaining DD would often lose hate at some point to the kiter/super tank and end the run.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-12-11 14:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Dumbass idle musing: is the Mnejing trust immune to endeath the way player automatons are?
I'd also like to know if this is true.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-11 14:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
I'd also like to know if this is true.

I don't know whether there'd be a good way to exploit it given you're toast at 30% without shadows anyway, but it'd be interesting to know.
By Thunderjet 2020-12-11 15:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Put yonin use JA Parry right after voke, Use gekka too, pld hate should not effect u, outside of hate reset
 Asura.Crowned
user: Crowned
By Asura.Crowned 2020-12-11 19:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Distract = Fire, but I can land Blind II, Paralyze II and Addle II on it no problem.
Distract is ice based, as is paralyze. If you're landing paralyze but not distract, the element of the spell is not the issue.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2020-12-11 21:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying it the kite method, it seems to boil down to the kiting more than anything else. RDM helps a lot to keep astrologer's silenced, and a Regen II on the PLD (RUN can Regen IV themselves) should be enough. There isn't much time for the kiter to stop except for the occasional sentinel/foil.

For the boss it's pretty simple. One nin is useful but I don't think it's essential if you have 3-4 dd/nin (with one brd) sharing hate. Dual wield DD seem to work out better here, because they have similar damage, better evasion and moves like stun (on BLU). A good RDM is enough to keep DDs healed and enfeeble the boss & astrologer adds. Might need to throw out a cure on the tank if they are desperate.

It's either a long drawn out fight with the other methods (they still have risk), or a difficult shorter fight.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-12-12 03:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bigwig ***

Is tanking adds on Vd with pup viable? nope
By Afania 2020-12-12 06:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
ksoze said: »
Seeing his dmg is high but capped, isn't it something to use that breaks the damage cap like barrage or hot shot?

Here's a screenshot I took back when this ambuscade appeared in December 2018- Corsair Tripleshot:

As you can see, each individual shot is not capped, and because the game processes each one at a time, the total damage isn't susceptible to that hard cap. (The 100k+ damage shown is due to Battlemod compressing the attack round into one line, but still shows crit hits vs non-crit as unique damage, hence the 3rd shot showing up by itself and not being compressed like the first two).

Boo...2 crit shot did 109k, each does 54k only. Get that crit damage gears Cele, 60k crits or bust :) (or was it 82k/27k crits? :p)

Also I think enmity- from WF wouldnt do much with 3 DDs tanking it. Someone will take hate then theyll be the one that may die if they arent keeping shadows up. IMO its best to bounce hate between 3.

WS in 99999 or bust IMO, I had to WS in SB to cap WS damage if pdif is lowish, I couldnt get other WS hitting 99999 all the time.
[+]
By nomarzenun 2020-12-12 07:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Complex but efficient:

RDM-PLD-NIN-SMN-BRD-MNK

NIN pulls boss->DDs get it to 80%.
RDM debuff boss.
PLD grabs adds while NIN holds boss turn back and provoking.
PLD goes to Northwest corner with everyone but NIN follows.
RDM silence BLM adds,SMN mewws, PLD pick a target to focus hate.
Get all adds to 5% each-> SMN + PLD holds them.
DDS + RDM go back and get the boss to 30%, at 32% RDM must silence it.
30% SMN finished the adds double thunder spark.
at this point is a win even if the boss manages to kill anyone.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-12 08:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

nomarzenun said: »
Complex but efficient:

You mean, INefficient. It's a good strat, but significantly slower to bother with the adds at all.

Instead (since you brought a SMN anyway) you can have all those killing the boss and the PLD+SMN simply mew the adds.
[+]
By nomarzenun 2020-12-12 09:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

that's is fine if you have enough DMG to kill the boss without dying at 30%, this strategy for those who are failing to do so.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-12 09:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's safer for sure, a more preferable strat. Less points of failure etc.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-12-12 12:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
ksoze said: »
Seeing his dmg is high but capped, isn't it something to use that breaks the damage cap like barrage or hot shot?

Here's a screenshot I took back when this ambuscade appeared in December 2018- Corsair Tripleshot:

As you can see, each individual shot is not capped, and because the game processes each one at a time, the total damage isn't susceptible to that hard cap. (The 100k+ damage shown is due to Battlemod compressing the attack round into one line, but still shows crit hits vs non-crit as unique damage, hence the 3rd shot showing up by itself and not being compressed like the first two).

Boo...2 crit shot did 109k, each does 54k only. Get that crit damage gears Cele, 60k crits or bust :) (or was it 82k/27k crits? :p)

Also I think enmity- from WF wouldnt do much with 3 DDs tanking it. Someone will take hate then theyll be the one that may die if they arent keeping shadows up. IMO its best to bounce hate between 3.

WS in 99999 or bust IMO, I had to WS in SB to cap WS damage if pdif is lowish, I couldnt get other WS hitting 99999 all the time.

hehe cut a man some slack my dear- that was 2018 after all :) My arma is much more productive these days :)

And in regards to using WF for -enmity purposes, I've found it just does more to "keep things even" between the DDs when Arma's white damage has that much advantage over the others.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-12-12 13:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Logical said: »
The entire fight I'm obviously the tank and voking, ws'ing for 99k etc. None of my trust have anywhere near the hate as me... then at 30%, the instant the weapon breaks I turn and switch to the first mob that pops. This always makes the main NM go after the second on the hate list (Matsui-P) in my case. And me provoking doesn't even get it back. After 1-2 99K WS's and 99K sc's he's back on me. This allows me to beat both of the two adds while hate for the main NM is on Matsui-P and I avoid the nasty move. Now the other strategy I put forth I feel is more reliable but I found this so odd I almost made a second strategy going over this. Hope this helps.

This is probably a little more worth considering for non-NINs, as I've found 80-30 to be significantly more harrowing as DNC/NIN than 30-0 (Unblest stripping shadows, tanking two mobs) and eliminating endeath would speed up my runs considerably.
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2020-12-12 14:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We put up BOOST AGI, 2x Mambo, GEO-SLIP, INDI VOID, utilitizing Ninja and Thf on main, with RUNE kiting, they guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and we still hitting for max damage, good month for evasion builds.
[+]
By tyalangan 2020-12-12 15:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Added several links/edits and a hold method video.
By ksoze 2020-12-12 15:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

another pup strat:

doing the D with 4 pups.

2 pups tank 2 adds each.
1 2x blm
1 2x drk

tanking with pup is a bit tricky when you use yoran.
he gets alot of hate from the adds

2 pups on the bigwick.

18 min ish used 1 od
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-12-12 15:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hearing a lot about empy weapon being really nice, but wondering how Mythic AM3 does. Later I might try Koga over Masa on SAM
By Taint 2020-12-12 15:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Hearing a lot about empy weapon being really nice, but wondering how Mythic AM3 does. Later I might try Koga over Masa on SAM

You are after white damage. Emps are king here.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-12-12 16:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Crowned said: »

Distract = Fire, but I can land Blind II, Paralyze II and Addle II on it no problem.
Distract is ice based, as is paralyze. If you're landing paralyze but not distract, the element of the spell is not the issue.

I never said the element was the issue, I was trying to point out the opposite to whoever was suggesting it was just normal resistance. It's just highly resistant to Distract and Frazzle for some reason.

I dunno why I always get Distract's element mixed up.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7