If You Could Change One Thing About FFXI...

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If you could change one thing about FFXI...
If you could change one thing about FFXI...
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2020-09-02 14:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

My desire would be remake the game, keep a lot of the underlying lore and content. Focus efforts on a cellshaded engine, controller friendly UI for gear macros and the like, voice acting and maybe partner with discord to make in game audio communication a thing. Crossplay with consoles and PC again.

I guess .... I guess that's more than one thing.
By Pantafernando 2020-09-02 14:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point in game, some change in game design to match more current game would be welcome but it will never happen.

Content-wise, some Progression paced content would be great. Not talking about horizontal progression but vertical, that would be necessary to advance in content. Like original delve idea: first farm bayld to match delve fodders, the beat NM and farm fodders to get better gear, then try beating 1-5 for better plasm, finally have enough to actually do bosses.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2020-09-02 15:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

endxen said: »
They need to make a dungeon that is bottomless with completely random content in it with corresponding rewards. 1 ki a day with 1 hour time limit, 18 person max with mobs starting at i119-i150+. Example: One floor could be an Omen boss and then the next floor could be a dynamis set up with boss, then to a Unity NM floor and so forth. No end and maybe a monthly ranking of furthest progression that would reset every maintenance with a reward at the reset. Nothing crazy but maybe a set amount of currency, rank up stones, voucher for reforged artifact/relic/empy armor, etc.

More master trials. Something with a i150+ Bahamut...

Other thing I would change is in Odyseey to let the NM's have a chance to drop their unity gear pool.

I'm pretty tired of random procedurally generated content because for balance it will be random enough to be frustrating like nyzule isle but very samey at the same time.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-02 15:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
They need to make a dungeon that is bottomless with completely random content in it with corresponding rewards. 1 ki a day with 1 hour time limit, 18 person max with mobs starting at i119-i150+. Example: One floor could be an Omen boss and then the next floor could be a dynamis set up with boss, then to a Unity NM floor and so forth. No end and maybe a monthly ranking of furthest progression that would reset every maintenance with a reward at the reset. Nothing crazy but maybe a set amount of currency, rank up stones, voucher for reforged artifact/relic/empy armor, etc.

Other thing I would change is in Odyseey to let the NM's have a chance to drop their unity gear pool.

I'm pretty tired of random procedurally generated content because for balance it will be random enough to be frustrating like nuzzle but very samey at the same time.
eventually you start running out of iterations of ways to make, kill monster > gear up. kill monster again > gear up more. Honestly the variety in gameplay in this game is already pretty flipping substantial. There are limits, it's not RL.
 Asura.Tawhoya
Server: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-02 15:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »

I'm pretty tired of random procedurally generated content because for balance it will be random enough to be frustrating like nuzzle but very samey at the same time.
eventually you start running out of iterations of ways to make, kill monster > gear up. kill monster again > gear up more. Honestly the variety in gameplay in this game is already pretty flipping substantial. There are limits, it's not RL.

How about an Ambuscade Frenzy... where you are in Legion for 1hr with all of the Ambu fights 1 after the other. I think that this would give players something to complain about keep busy with for a bit due to the different mechanics that are involved.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-09-02 15:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

An Epic battle with "The Legendary Mage" Abdhaljs would be cool. Like an Ultra Mega Master Trial.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2020-09-02 16:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

its not somethign the developers could change, but if i could change one thing, or part of any one thing, it would be the people. - XI is a good game, but for an mmorpg it really is the ppl your playing with/around that can make or break it. Both some of my best memories, and my worst all center around the people i was with/around at the time. And unfortunately, much like in real life,.. there are to many *** around'
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-09-02 16:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish they'd remove dial-up support and increase packet size to 1500 from current 200 bytes max.

(If you're entering Ambuscade or just zoning and are mostly 80/80 on all inventory, it takes 40-45 seconds to load all your items. Sucks to wait for this when you're buffing your party).
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2020-09-02 16:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
it's a video game of pixels and textures, wouldn't a real woman be better?
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2020-09-02 17:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

animation lock, without the use of third party tools
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2020-09-02 18:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Upping the delivery box to more than 8 per cycle would be a godsend.
Most, if not all meds need to be reworked. Usage timers need to be drastically reduced, if not outright removed. Meds, among tons of other items in game need to be stackable to 99. (Looking at you, pup oil and pet food.)
I've always thought RA and casting interruptions due to movement were idiotic. If nothing else, why not do away with the actual interruptions and instead apply a slight penalty for movement like reductions in duration or potency for enhancements and accuracy loss for offensive spells and RA.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-02 18:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
Make it so I don't have to install a bunch of mods and have to do some light coding to play the game.
You don't, lua is a scripting language, not coding.

By Rolodex 2020-09-02 18:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shut the game down, find the guy who made FFXII and tell him to make XI but single player after telling Nexon that their services are no longer needed.
By Jetackuu 2020-09-02 19:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Make it so I don't have to install a bunch of mods and have to do some light coding to play the game.

Scripting is absolutely coding.

Edit: to stay on topic, I'll add another thing. Add the proper jobs to the relics and empyreans. BLU on Excal, GEO on Mjollnir and Gamba, etc. There's no reason to keep them off.
A. Agree to disagree

B. Definitely disagree, ya'll stay off my Gamba and Mjollnir.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-09-02 19:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »

Hi, I'm Jet. Resident pedant.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-02 22:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cid's teeth.

[+]
By Prong 2020-09-02 23:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it so my game doesn't have to clock for 10 mins due to Wardrobe 3 & 4 before I can look in my inventory after zoning.

Feels like I'm trying to load Besieged on Xbox 360.
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-03 02:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

A. Agree to disagree

I would love to hear what precisely you consider the difference between code and script is.
 Carbuncle.Shyuko
Server: Carbuncle
user: Davilles
By Carbuncle.Shyuko 2020-09-03 04:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ballista/Monstrosity.
My life needs these to be complete.

Shame Monstrosity was low priority/dropped, was having fun with it personally. That's pretty much all I can say on the matter. ^.^
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-03 06:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

On most MMORPGS I've played that had a faction system with a chat channels like Unity, they split that faction up into sub channels.

So Apururu 1, 2, 3, 4

This way everyone can get onto it. I don't get why we have so many unity factions and not just pick 4-5 and give multiple chat channels for each one. Who picks Aldo or Ayame unless it's just to get on with no hassle.

It's really damn obnoxious to have to struggle to get onto unity chat to see where DI is or finish your unity quest every day.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-03 06:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Cid's teeth.

Whats wrong with them? Zero cavities.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-09-03 07:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
I would love to hear what precisely you consider the difference between code and script is.

There is no difference, but it's been a gatekeeping thing forever. "Well, your language isn't compiled/doesn't manage memory manually/etc/etc".

The fact of the matter is that unless you're crawling into the server rack and flipping bits by hand with a fridge magnet, you're using some form of abstraction. Some of those forms are more abstract than others, but the claim that one is more "valid" than another is *** and always has been.

Those higher levels of abstraction are there to reduce the time it takes to complete a complicated project (and reduce errors in doing so). Could you write a whole website in C? Sure, I've even done it. But there are better languages for it, in the sense that they keep you from re-inventing wheels (and inevitably *** up said new wheel). C in particular is prone to this as people aren't always as careful as they should be with memory management, etc.

On topic:

I'd add an iLevel Nyzul Isle investigation that gives significantly more tokens, but is tuned to the difficulty level of Omen. It'd let people finish that phase of the mythics quicker without just turning it into a copper voucher festival. It wouldn't even take that much work, just copy the uncharted survey and bump up the levels of the mobs.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-03 07:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

A. Agree to disagree

A code lets you create a program. A script lets you control the program you created with coding.

https://medium.com/@tyler_25661/is-there-a-difference-between-scripting-and-coding-f14b69eca4e#:~:text=A%20code%20lets%20you%20create,a%20certain%20aspect%20of%20it.

*shrug*
By soralin 2020-09-03 19:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

Sounds like you are using "Script" to be synonymous with "Interpreted language"

As a developer, who works with developers in the office (Well now on zoom lol), I can 100% assure you every single one of us professional devs still refer to programming in an interpreted language like Python or Javascript to be "Coding"

As a professional dev, here's what I would lay out as the definition that defines the difference between "script" and "code"

A script is code, but not all code is script. Script basically just refers contextually to a chunk of code that is fairly linear, has minimal to zero logic branches (so no if statements basically, but loops, breaks, and guard clauses are okay)

Basically, a script runs straight from start to finish and should logically run nearly every line of the code.

Basically, "Do A, then B, then C, then D, then E... then Z, then done"

Whereas code is a more broad term that covers all.. well... code? Like its everything. Scripts, UI, Queries, Markup, CSS, anything that is "Human readable text representing a series of abstracted computer commands" I would call "code", all of it is code.

Basically I would consider "code" to be the most abstract term that everything falls under.

Its actually easy to see, in the actual terms.

"Code" literally means "One thing that attractively represents another", like "They seem to be speaking in code!" or Morse Code, or coding a program.

"Script" is a list of things to be done, but its pretty much always in a specific order and you would never consider skipping parts or doing it out of order. Like a script for a play, you simply read it out from top to bottom and do what it says to do.

"Program" on the other hand is more complex, kind of like a script, but it can have logical breaks, junctions, and forks. You wont necessarily follow a program from top to bottom, it may send you all over the place, it may abruptly end at the start, it may put you into an infinite loop!

Markup, on the other hand, is a form of Code that holds data in a shape. Markup doesnt inherently *do* anything, its more like a lookup. Like a phone book. Phone books dont have a plot or story, but they certainly can be used to look people's phone numbers up.

Compiled languages simply are languages that take your code written one way, and then compile it into a different language, typically because that one is better understood by computers and removing the layer of abstraction makes things run smoother. The most common example of this is compiling into Machine Code (.exe files), but there are other types! Like compiling Typescript into Javascript!

Interpreted languages are ones that one program reads, then does actions of its own based what it read. So machine code is technically the lowest level of interpreted language, since the CPU reads the machine code directly and performs actions. Other examples include Python and Javascript, or Lua!

There's even more types too, Declarative, Object Oriented, Functional, Esoteric, etc.

But the key thing to remember is this:

Any given program or script you write, can be written in any language, and any language can have multiple of these labels apply to it. Lua is both an Object Oriented and Interpreted language, and you can write both Programs and Scripts in Lua.
VIP
By Lili 2020-09-03 19:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

[cut]

Too many words, the correct reply would have been

soralin said:
Jetacku pls
[+]