users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Tips From Job Masters
Tips From Job Masters
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Ermah 2020-07-20 18:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Epigram said: »
Quote:
If Correlation exists, Bst can also provide a massive damage boost with Killer Instinct, in addition to the -33% Def/Attack, -10% HP by swapping pets. BSt damage can also be very very high with a proper master set, not sure what led you to believe otherwise.

I would say it's a solid boost +15% DT/Dmg + 33% DMG down etc... is great and all but it doesn't help when it isn't active (every omen boss, dyna etc...) it also doesn't at all compete with a GEO. Like I said before, bst is a competent DD with the buffs it gets, it is not a competent buffer.

Quote:
Beatific Shield helps a ton, when you're in pet DT gear, your own DT is not capped, and even with Pangu, which single handedly caps your MDT with Shell V, you often swap to Aymur for a ready maneuver and its very easy to get hit by an Aoe during that time and die. You spend a lot of time in swaps on BST and in my opinion they are far more at risk at getting hit by things mid swap than most jobs. Beatific Shield is literally free as it gives you the HQ for doing the RoE. There are also tons of scenarios where you may not have Shell V or it gets dispelled. Especially if low manning with a Pup or Smn. Malignance is for the magic evasion and STP, Pangu + Beatific + Ambuscade Cape nearly caps PDT and MDT on its own.

Shell V is extremely common, you pull out a trust and you have it. Malignance minus boots is 27 MDT (for skadi +1), Congratulations your capped with Shell V. BST given its roll as a DD shouldn't really be swapping axes that much either. It may have some use if you are playing gimp smn, but I'd rather just use smn for that content.

EDIT: Torque + D. Ring + M. Boots + Tathlum+1 will get you to capped DT w/o loosing TP (much better than using that shield).

Um okay, you give up pet stats to make your point then, I'll not give up pet stats and cap MDT the same on one of the easiest items to get in the game... Not really sure what kinda point you're trying to make, there are tons of ways to cap MDT, but Beatific shield is a way you can do it without losing pet stats during a ready maneuver when you don't sub ninja or dnc, which isn't the optimal way to go anymore. Not to mention also giving up weaponskill damage or fast cast, or cure set, or anything you might swap into because for some unknown reason you refused to use a free slot to cap MDT. You do you, I'll continue to do what I do best.
By Shichishito 2020-07-20 18:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oyama said: »
Yea, you can't close Fragmentation off of Distortion. SAM can follow the opening Disto with Kasha for Fusion, then Savage > CDC for Light > Light.

So Enpi > Expi/Savage > Kasha > Savage > CDC for Disto > Fusion > Light > Light.
yeah i think you are right, i screwed up above. however kasha -> savage is fusion -> fragmentation = light so CDC on top results in double light.

oyama wrote it right, fixed it in my post above.
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-07-20 18:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
however kasha -> savage is fusion

Ah, not quite. Enpi applies Transfixion, then Savage/Expi have Scission secondary property, so they trigger Distortion. Then Kasha closes a Fusion off of Distortion, and the Fragmentation on Savage takes it to level 1 Light. Then CDC's Light primary property can close Level 2 Light/Radiance.
By soralin 2020-07-20 19:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Every bit of damage you gain in the sc you lose by calling a jank dd trust instead of a support. You're giving up rolls songs or rdm by calling her.

Qultada sucks hard, I dont mind losing him, he often gives the wrong rolls anyways and messes up my solo SCs like 1/5th of the time resulting in fat DPS loss.

Trading up from Qultada to Ayame is definitely a good call on jobs that can close Dark/Light off her.

Id say Ayame over doubles my DPS, since many NMs are very susceptible to SC dmg, on some targets SC's do double the dmg of the closer.

I mean there are obv some targets you dont bring her out for, either AoE stuff where Ayame just ends up dead, or stuff that resists skillchains.

***is Situational, as per the usual, but there are MANY cases where Ayame will definitely be a huge clear speed boost over Qultada.

If you really want both, you can also summon qultada for 10 secs, whack an enemy, get rolls, drop Qultada, summon Ayame, pop NM, and down it.

Can help give that extra 'oomph' for the tougher solo fights where you can use that lil extra bit of dps to push you farther.
 Asura.Epigram
Server: Asura
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-07-20 22:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Um okay, you give up pet stats to make your point then, I'll not give up pet stats and cap MDT the same on one of the easiest items to get in the game... Not really sure what kinda point you're trying to make, there are tons of ways to cap MDT, but Beatific shield is a way you can do it without losing pet stats during a ready maneuver when you don't sub ninja or dnc, which isn't the optimal way to go anymore.

I think you're missing the point. New players shouldn't be playing with tactics that are pretty much dead. Unless you are weakened, or trying to do a solo (no trusts) you shouldn't be idling in pet dmg gear.

Quote:
Not to mention also giving up weaponskill damage or fast cast, or cure set, or anything you might swap into because for some unknown reason you refused to use a free slot to cap MDT. You do you, I'll continue to do what I do best.

That make's no sense, enjoy WS'ing in your Beatific Shield... Gear swaps take a fraction of a second, there is no reason to cap DT in them... not to mention pre-cast.
By Ermah 2020-07-20 22:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Um okay, you give up pet stats to make your point then, I'll not give up pet stats and cap MDT the same on one of the easiest items to get in the game... Not really sure what kinda point you're trying to make, there are tons of ways to cap MDT, but Beatific shield is a way you can do it without losing pet stats during a ready maneuver when you don't sub ninja or dnc, which isn't the optimal way to go anymore.

I think you're missing the point. New players shouldn't be playing with tactics that are pretty much dead. Unless you are weakened, or trying to do a solo (no trusts) you shouldn't be idling in pet dmg gear.

Quote:
Not to mention also giving up weaponskill damage or fast cast, or cure set, or anything you might swap into because for some unknown reason you refused to use a free slot to cap MDT. You do you, I'll continue to do what I do best.

That make's no sense, enjoy WS'ing in your Beatific Shield... Gear swaps take a fraction of a second, there is no reason to cap DT in them... not to mention pre-cast.

I see you don't play BST. Swaps are much longer on BST than a "Fraction of a second" pets don't instantly use their ready maneuvers, its very common to get hit by AoE in the middle of a ready maneuver, or while in PET DT gear, which isn't the same as master DT gear or a hybrid DT gear set as well where you don't want to waste your valuable slots getting MDT when you can just use a shield to cap it. There's also stoneskin, which is cast many many times in a fight, it's extremely easy to get hit by an AoE mid-stoneskin.

All that doesn't even matter because there is literally a way to not sacrifice any meaningful slot to cap your MDT but for some ungodly reason you refuse to, for no other reason than you just don't want to be wrong on the internet on a piece of gear thats easier to obtain than everything you listed so by that I'm done arguing with you, you do you.
 Asura.Epigram
By Asura.Epigram 2020-07-20 23:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I see you don't play BST
Lol...

Quote:
pets don't instantly use their ready maneuvers

15 frames, a fraction of a second 1/4th to be exact (I never said instant).
SE JAN 2020 Update

Quote:
There's also stoneskin, which is cast many many times in a fight, it's extremely easy to get hit by an AoE mid-stoneskin.

I don't think your DD'ing with /mage...
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-07-20 23:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

SE JAN 2020 Update

They reverted that:

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/56444-February-12-2020-%28JST%29-Version-Update

Just FYI.
[+]
 Asura.Epigram
By Asura.Epigram 2020-07-21 00:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't find the right one, oops. Either way, I just knocked out an ambu on beast and a Kin last night. It isn't too bad, can't keep up with my other jobs, but is perfectly serviceable as a DD, provided that you play it as a DD. K-club + Guttler is pretty fun :P I had to switch back to a better axe set, but was great on fodder.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-07-21 00:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't find the right one, oops. Either way, I just knocked out an ambu on beast and a Kin last night. It isn't too bad, can't keep up with my other jobs, but is perfectly serviceable as a DD, provided that you play it as a DD. K-club + Guttler is pretty fun :P I had to switch back to a better axe set, but was great on fodder.

Kin is one of those fights which is actually easier on pure pet strat because the TP feed is lower. But yeah, BST is serviceable as a DD. It just lacks some kind of exploitable mechanic like the "big" melee DD jobs have. The fundamentals are there; BST has the best enmity dump in the entire game, you can reach very high levels of attack after the last beastmaster update, etc. I hope S-E actually takes BST DD seriously but I don't want to lose the pet side of the job either.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-21 02:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless of what S-E does its the player base who needs to take it seriously or nothing is gonna change. I'm sure bst is awesome if played right unfortunately most people are too ignorant and lazy to know what the job can really do with out someone pointing it out that they are just going to default to "ME MINDLESS DD I only want jobs that make ME More mindless and DD better" attitudes, which I think is pretty gimp to begin with.
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-07-21 04:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura people probelms
[+]
 Asura.Lothire
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-21 09:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Razziel said: »
Asura people probelms

Every other server is like an incestuous redneck village with 30 people all related, so I'm fine with these Asura problems.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-07-21 15:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If that means we don't party up with randos, then sure.
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
Server: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2020-07-22 07:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I see you don't play BST
Lol...

Quote:

SE JAN 2020 Update

Quote:
There's also stoneskin, which is cast many many times in a fight, it's extremely easy to get hit by an AoE mid-stoneskin.

I don't think your DD'ing with /mage...

They sadly reverted it back. Sucks too since I loved the instant Whirl Claws from the rabbit. Just makes me cringe seeing it hang hard before it does the move.
By Teuphist 2020-07-22 08:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

From a PUP for others. Please gear beyond Taeon/Rao (automaton builds) and put time into multiple master sets. Some players are killing this job in the community's eyes being one dimensional, and the job doesn't even excel as a tank or in taeon as dps. SMH!

Also, Xiucoatl should NOT be locked in full time when just the automaton is engaged.
 Asura.Lothire
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-24 15:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Teuphist said: »
From a PUP for others. Please gear beyond Taeon/Rao (automaton builds) and put time into multiple master sets. Some players are killing this job in the community's eyes being one dimensional, and the job doesn't even excel as a tank or in taeon as dps. SMH!

Also, Xiucoatl should NOT be locked in full time when just the automaton is engaged.

If one is leveling a PUP just to solo stuff, what would you say are other important sets, then?
 Asura.Trumpet
user: Trumpet
By Asura.Trumpet 2020-07-24 16:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
Dynamis (D)
Until you do get a Death Penalty, please do not Leaden Salute Dyna bosses if there is a DP15 COR in the alliance. A properly buffed DP15 COR can hit 90k+ Leaden Salutes. But if your 10k-20k Leaden lands before mine does, you can reduce my Leaden to 5k damage. Use Wildfire, Last Stand or Savage Blade instead please. The object is to kill bosses as cleanly and and fast as possible to get the win for the whole alliance.

These kinds of tips aren't very helpful without explaining the underlying mechanics imo. It doesn't help new players to be told what to do without knowing why... you just end up with more of the monkey-see, monkey-do players you're complaining about.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-24 17:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Trumpet said: »
Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
Dynamis (D)
Until you do get a Death Penalty, please do not Leaden Salute Dyna bosses if there is a DP15 COR in the alliance. A properly buffed DP15 COR can hit 90k+ Leaden Salutes. But if your 10k-20k Leaden lands before mine does, you can reduce my Leaden to 5k damage. Use Wildfire, Last Stand or Savage Blade instead please. The object is to kill bosses as cleanly and and fast as possible to get the win for the whole alliance.

These kinds of tips aren't very helpful without explaining the underlying mechanics imo. It doesn't help new players to be told what to do without knowing why... you just end up with more of the monkey-see, monkey-do players you're complaining about.

While I do agree with the sentiment, I see it as slowly building a new/returning player's knowledge base to be functional without overwhelming them from the start. Explaining statue eye color mechanics, kill order of mobs, maintaining rolls, and shooting statues can often be enough to throw at someone at first.

The mechanic certainly should be explained- again, the more knowledge out there, the better- if for nothing else that when someone knows the "why", they're a lot more likely to do the "what" required. But sometimes getting a few runs under someone's belt is a better teacher and a quick word from a more senior COR there on just the "what" is enough to start.
By Teuphist 2020-07-24 23:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lothire said: »

If one is leveling a PUP just to solo stuff, what would you say are other important sets, then?

Pet:
STP
Bone Crusher/String Shredder
Arcuballista/Armor Piercer/Daze
Armor Shatterer
hell...even a nuke set would work if you have your blm puppet sc/nuke with you when solo

Master:
STP
Accuracy
Crit
Martial Arts (when using Godhands/Xiucoatl)
DT
MDT
and various WS sets. PUP

If care is taken into your sets, PUP is no slouch as a dd job. Many players don't gear it for group settings though with hurts the outlook. And no, it still won't match WAR, but I imagine you'd give a number of...(/disgusted)MNKs a run for their money.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-07-25 02:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

uhmmm when its just automaton as a DD, why would you swap the weapon slot? ESPECIALLY if you are using sharpshot frame.

Yes, I already have pet stp, ws, nuking and idle sets.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-07-25 09:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Pirinolon said: »
now one of the things i dislike, its
*Not having support outside the main party, RDMs wont haste ppl outside their party, and dont like to be asked for it.
*WHMs not liking being asked for stonas or erases, well.... if you were doing your job , you wouldnt have to be asked.
*Not having diversity of jobs "I'm DD only" wont cut it anymore.
any player should have all aspects covered support, tank, healer,
dd, or bring an alt who does.
I hate this comment about whms not being asked. Most DD's are brain dead and ask for it the second it gets on like the whm isn't healing others or getting it off others. DD's asking for haste when everyone got slowed also is annoying. Line I hate the most is when you ask a geo if bubbles are on because you start missing or not doing high damage before checking your own stuff. 99% of the time the person didn't check food or gear before asking.
[+]
By Teuphist 2020-07-25 09:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
uhmmm when its just automaton as a DD, why would you swap the weapon slot? ESPECIALLY if you are using sharpshot frame.

Yes, I already have pet stp, ws, nuking and idle sets.

Every time you engage your puppet, you're not going to be using OD. You are hindering your puppet's dps by it meleeing w/ Xiucoatl instead of Ohtas simply due to being under gear haste cap (if using BiS) and additional regain. Also, the additional 20 acc/racc.
For the puppet, Xiucoatl is nothing more than a WS piece and should be used exclusively for that purpose.

When you are not engaging and using gearswap, you should have enabled main slot and have mythic in your maneuver set. If not that...Midnights.

You'd best improve the automaton's dps when you are actively engaged in it's gear swapping. Many players have pretty much gotten accustomed to engaging the puppet and practically AFKing, but that's not efficient.
By Teuphist 2020-07-25 09:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lothire, I forgot to add enmity sets for both master and auto.
By Taint 2020-07-25 15:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Tip:

Pop JAs prior to engaging when able. During a fight stack/pop JAs before a WS.

You can also anticipate having enough TP and hit your WS macro right before you swing. You will hit and WS at the same time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-25 17:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a little known trick for GEO that allows you to place your Geo-spell bubbles off-center of your target, which can help when you're trying to better position your bubbles in a group of enemies or if you want to keep your bubbles just out of range of various AOEs. Unfortunately, it has been mostly forgotten thanks to it not working with Gearswap, but I suspect some GEOs out there might find good use for it (it has served me well).

I was going to screenshot some examples, but I found a post by Tychefm from 2015 that already explains it with a video, so I'll just plug that here:

Source Thread

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

- Enter /gtst 95
- Stand exactly opposite of your tank and look streight at him. Use 1st person camera to help align.
- Select your GEO- spell and hold the CONTROL key.
- Go exactly 4 steps back towards yourself. You can be much further away than in the video. I just stand there for showcase reasons.
- Enjoy your max range Bubble. Might not manage to hit small Mandys, but bigger NMs should definetly be hit.

Disclaimer [EDITED]: Using Gearswap this will NOT work and you cannot manually place your Luopans while it is loaded.

The prime example for using this on current endgame content is Maju. If you place your bubble this way, it will be outside of Backdraft range. Backdraft is a 200damage/tick DoT AoE centered around the main target. using this trick will make the fight less annoying and more stable. Nothing like backdraft killing your bubbles as BLM is about to unload a Death volley.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-25 21:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Tip:

Pop JAs prior to engaging when able. During a fight stack/pop JAs before a WS.

You can also anticipate having enough TP and hit your WS macro right before you swing. You will hit and WS at the same time.

This is solid, especially the latter part. If you hit your WS everytime your TP is over 1000%, you're wasting a hit that could be going to your next WS because of server latency.

If you have a 5-hit build, this hurts your overall WS output by a whopping 17% each run. (Assuming that your WS does not scale damage according to TP. If it does, you will still be losing DPS, just not as much.)

I know people that actively prevent WSing early because they're afraid of accidentally TPing in Slow%+ gear, which hurts your DPS a little bit. But many times we're overcapped on Haste anyway, and even if you aren't, making a single hit occur 20% slow is still WAAAAAY better than losing 17% of your WS output.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-25 22:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My "main" job is Dancer; I have all of its Ultimate weapons and cleared all of the Wave 3s when they came out on this job.
There is a lot of high-skill tech you can perform with the job, and I hope over time more people come to appreciate how powerful and versatile it can be. In my mind, it's one of the jobs that best captures the core design philosophies of FF11-- along with BRD, BLU, PUP, NIN, and RDM.

With that said, the pro DNC players don't need me to talk about that stuff since they know it already. This is more for the novice DNC, which I see a lot for new players who are working on progging through 117~ content. DNC is attractive to these people because of how versatile it is, and it is especially good at soloing easier content with trusts. ("You get buffs, heals, and great DPS for free!")

Except that's the problem: it isn't for free. If you wanna main the job... Please make unique gearsets for your main abilities. This isn't just for DDing, WSing, and Waltzing; I'm talking MULTIPLE hybrid sets with differing amounts of Haste, enmity+ gear, DT/magic evasion, the whole shebang. I know, I know this isn't specific to DNC, every job needs to swap gear to succeed. DNC just has way more separate things to gear for, requiring more gearsets in total compared to most other jobs. (Exceptions being the jobs I mentioned above.) Gear your damn job. It helps DNC tremendously. You can do WAY MORE than you think you can do with this job but you have to take it seriously if you want to reach those heights. Otherwise, just play WAR or THF.

Also, please don't use Fan Dance until you're about to get hit in the face.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-07-25 22:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, don't become a Bard main. It's just not worth it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-07-25 23:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Also, don't become a Bard main. It's just not worth it.
Don't become a Idris Geo either gets old after years lol.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7