Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 97 98 99 ... 129 130 131
By Viciouss 2020-04-24 08:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
So, US numbers kinda of stabilized.

Good news

30k new cases and 2k deaths per day for weeks now, with an inadequate testing program that is underreporting the numbers. I've never understood the model that says we will hit 60k deaths by August, we will hit that number next week.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2020-04-24 10:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

abknight said: »
Celebrating unemployment by buying luxury items with unemployment check. Can’t make this ***up. I wonder what percentage of the $1200 Trump bucks and mass unemployment payments gets spent on things other than rent and food... and then people will complain they’re not being given enough.
yet due to back child support I will not see an trump bucks but still working this whole time so if I do lose my job or it shuts down can't pay support I lose my license again then have to pay all the money for lawyer reinstatement fees just so I can drive to go back an forth to work this world is just *** up leaving those that are trying doing without making choices to eat or have roof over there head
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-24 11:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Michigan's lowering restrictions this weekend.

Third highest death rate in the nation. Two of the biggest minority groups/clusters/cities in the nation.

You'll be able to buy seeds again, so you can grow flowers for your funerals, which people can attend again.
By Pantafernando 2020-04-24 11:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Either a disaster gonna happen or simply nothing will change.

I believe (and hope) obviously contamination and deaths wont become any better, but also wont be any worse.

Its a situation to observe.

Here in Brasil a city with very low numbers also lowered restrictions. The results, given how long it takes till the sick manifest simptoms, just gonna be clear next weeks
By Ashleyz 2020-04-24 13:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Illinois Dept of Public Health

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined.

https://week.com/2020/04/20/idph-director-explains-how-covid-deaths-are-classified/
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-04-24 13:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes we have known that for a while.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2020-04-28 12:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
abknight said: »
Celebrating unemployment by buying luxury items with unemployment check. Can’t make this ***up. I wonder what percentage of the $1200 Trump bucks and mass unemployment payments gets spent on things other than rent and food... and then people will complain they’re not being given enough.
yet due to back child support I will not see an trump bucks but still working this whole time so if I do lose my job or it shuts down can't pay support I lose my license again then have to pay all the money for lawyer reinstatement fees just so I can drive to go back an forth to work this world is just *** up leaving those that are trying doing without making choices to eat or have roof over there head

Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-28 12:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Raise a hand if you THINK you already got it and recovered.

/
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-28 12:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Also:

TOTALS IN UNITED STATES
Confirmed
1.02M
Recovered
Deaths

33%
By volkom 2020-04-29 09:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-plague-doctor-hellesdon-094550603.html

Quote:
Police in Norfolk are keen to speak to a person who has been spotted dressed up as a 17th-century plague doctor on walks during the coronavirus lockdown.

The unidentified individual has been spotted in the Norwich suburb of Hellesdon wearing a long black cloak, a hat and a pointed beak-like mask in recent weeks.

People posting on a community Facebook page said the outfit could frighten children, and Norfolk Police said they wanted to give "words of advice" to the person.

Jade Gosbell, 21, took a photograph of the person walking across a recreation ground in Hellesdon.

plague doctor dress is coming back into style!
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-04-29 10:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol they gonna charge him for wearing a historic costume? 'oi you gota loicense to be breechina peace there?'

no thank you nanny state.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-29 10:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Also:

TOTALS IN UNITED STATES
Confirmed
1.02M
Recovered
Deaths

33%

4/29
Recovered:

30,000 Americans recovered in one day, it's a miracle!
By Pantafernando 2020-04-29 10:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Brasil had like 80% deaths and 20% recovered. Then they fixed this number to the current 14% - 86%.

So, this number is ***. No garanteed they actually follow up people recovering and people dying
By Viciouss 2020-04-29 12:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

We just had another meat packing factory temporarily shut down cuz of covid. Yesterday Trump signed an executive order forcing them to stay open. The response from the workers was predictable, they just aren't showing up. Now the company is just straight ignoring the order and closing. There is plenty of meat in cold storage throughout the country, but delivery could become an issue soon.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-29 13:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Third hand, but I guess Fauci just came out and announced one of the drugs trialed has a 100% effect on reducing the life span of the virus by 1/3

Quote:
'Clear-cut' evidence coronavirus drug remdesivir works, Fauci says
Despite conflicting reports over the success of remdesivir, the NIH's Dr. Anthony Fauci says there's proof the drug can block the coronavirus.

Gilead stock about to skyrocket lol
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 13:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Farmers are culling their herds and turning their livestock into pet food because there aren't enough processing capacity for the meat.

It's a systematic problem because of high market concentration (monopoly) and the chase for efficiency. The US only has something like 20 super high capacity slaughter facility. They can go for something like 1 million cows year in each plant. Something close to 5% of the whole country going into a single plant.

So if one of these location got the Corona, it gets shut down and you could imagine the impact if half of them shut down. Something like a 40% meat capacity of the whole country would be gone.
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 13:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Third hand, but I guess Fauci just came out and announced one of the drugs trialed has a 100% effect on reducing the life span of the virus by 1/3

Quote:
'Clear-cut' evidence coronavirus drug remdesivir works, Fauci says
Despite conflicting reports over the success of remdesivir, the NIH's Dr. Anthony Fauci says there's proof the drug can block the coronavirus.

Gilead stock about to skyrocket lol

Already did. like 6.5% today. Pretty meh though

Oil went something like 25% up. Man I should have bought one of those oil index when they hit rock bottom.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-29 13:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't pretend to know how the oil market works but I'm under the assumption you had to literally take possession of the oil you bought. So it's not something you could really do.

You buy a contract to buy the barrels but basically never actually do. Had you bought in you were contractually obligated to actually take delivery of said barrels. It's why they dropped like that... no one actually would or could take possession.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-04-29 13:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Since it was already bumped, it was lovely to not see this topic on the main page for four days. Thanks, Phoenix.Thorbean.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 14:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't pretend to know how the oil market works but I'm under the assumption you had to literally take possession of the oil you bought. So it's not something you could really do.

You buy a contract to buy the barrels but basically never actually do. Had you bought in you were contractually obligated to actually take delivery of said barrels. It's why they dropped like that... no one actually would or could take possession.

It really depends on what you do actually. The most common thing people would think about would be one of the future contracts for the oil to be delivered at a certain date.

Once the date arrive and you don't want to sell the oil because of the price, you store them into one of the floating tankers and let them run around until you can sell them.

However, this costs money and the more ships that floats around waiting to dump their oil the costlier it will be to store the oil. At some point, the oil can get so cheap you would be storing years and years worth of oils. So it might be better to just sell them off to someone else.

However, unless you're one of those million dollars investor, what you really interested in would be the oil companies, drilling companies and the shipping companies as well as refineries. If you don't have an interest in them you buy an index. It's sort of like a tracker that tracks the oil industry as a whole.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-29 15:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So Whitmer rolled out a program that gives free college to ALL essential employees.

That's b.a.n.a.n.a.s.

Quote:
The Futures for Frontliners program is our way of saying ‘thank you’ to those who have risked their lives on the front lines of this crisis," Whitmer said. "This program will ensure tuition-free college opportunities and give these dedicated Michiganders an opportunity to earn a technical certificate, associate degree or even a bachelor’s degree.”

Basically, if you were working at kroger in march and april you could get a Bachelors degree for free

On top of that; the Hero's fund could give an extra $13 per hour that you worked during this period "bonus pay" up to $25k. Great time to be a grocery bagger.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 16:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Let's see what works, what is operational, and what needs other attention. Others have suggested a minimum income, a guaranteed income for people. Is that worthy of attention now? Perhaps so.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Normally this would have been a cool idea if they would run it for about 6 months but considering the US has a government that couldn't make money and is deeply in debt... this look sort of out there.
By Viciouss 2020-04-29 16:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So Whitmer rolled out a program that gives free college to ALL essential employees.

That's b.a.n.a.n.a.s.

Quote:
The Futures for Frontliners program is our way of saying ‘thank you’ to those who have risked their lives on the front lines of this crisis," Whitmer said. "This program will ensure tuition-free college opportunities and give these dedicated Michiganders an opportunity to earn a technical certificate, associate degree or even a bachelor’s degree.”

Basically, if you were working at kroger in march and april you could get a Bachelors degree for free

On top of that; the Hero's fund could give an extra $13 per hour that you worked during this period "bonus pay" up to $25k. Great time to be a grocery bagger.

Its just a proposal. Not really a bad one, but its not in effect unless the Michigan legislature passes it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-29 16:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it sounds like a "no way in hell" scenario but damn, if you don't have a degree and live in MI... you should go apply to a grocery store, like, immediately.

Just on the chance it may happen. That's worth 5 figures.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-29 17:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Quote:
Let's see what works, what is operational, and what needs other attention. Others have suggested a minimum income, a guaranteed income for people. Is that worthy of attention now? Perhaps so.

Normally this would have been a cool idea if they would run it for about 6 months but considering the US has a government that couldn't make money and is deeply in debt... this look sort of out there.

US government has unlimited funds, and all governments run a deficit. Its not looked at as debt the same way you or i would see it but in terms of what it produces out of the debt. Welfare programs are some of the biggest returns on investment into the economy, so a UBI type thing would only be a net positive for the overall economy, resulting in more future revenue through taxes. The debt pays for itself immediately.
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 18:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Quote:

US government has unlimited funds, and all governments run a deficit. Its not looked at as debt the same way you or i would see it but in terms of what it produces out of the debt. Welfare programs are some of the biggest returns on investment into the economy, so a UBI type thing would only be a net positive for the overall economy, resulting in more future revenue through taxes. The debt pays for itself immediately.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Then there is no such thing as free money. And there is no such thing as unlimited funds.

Government debt has an interest. It's like any other debt, you pay it down slowly principal and interest.

A government can tinker with its own debt to a point by working on the currency or interest rates but at some point the debtors are going to get a handle on it and it gets hairy.

Normally, you can see it as government investing on its own country and have a "return to investment" through taxes. In an ideal world it would always work. Until your investment tank like the stock market and you have to borrow more to save your investment.

Then you keep repeating the same investment only to see your investment failing before the "return" date and you keep having to borrow. At some point you could only afford to pay the interest.

Then the market crashes again and you have to borrow more... Then you would be insolvent.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-29 18:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Then there is no such thing as free money. And there is no such thing as unlimited funds.

Government debt has an interest. It's like any other debt, you pay it down slowly principal and interest.

A government can tinker with its own debt to a point by working on the currency or interest rates but at some point the debtors are going to get a handle on it and it gets hairy.

Normally, you can see it as government investing on its own country and have a "return to investment" through taxes. In an ideal world it would always work. Until your investment tank like the stock market and you have to borrow more to save your investment.

Then you keep repeating the same investment only to see your investment failing before the "return" date and you keep having to borrow. At some point you could only afford to pay the interest.

Then the market crashes again and you have to borrow more... Then you would be insolvent.

You say this, but its not true at all.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch" sure, but heres the thing; money put into the economy to those that need it gets spent, and productivity as a whole goes up.

Also, the US is already a very heavy welfare nation. Anyone trying to make this type of argument you are is either using someone, or being used. The reality is we have very heavy social welfare systems and policies, but are only given to major companies that use the money selfishly, and dont redistribute it as effectively.

Ontop of that; heavily supplementing the economy right now is always going to return more money than you could lose. Failure to put money out with no strings attached means the economy will tank harder and harder, and youll get less and less in return in future taxes as fewer people can put money into taxes, and those that can put forth less.

And finally; yes, the federal government has unlimited funds. It can also completely invalidate its currency and make a new one if they so please.
By abknight 2020-04-29 21:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s pointless to engage nyaarun in any conversation related to money. He literally believes that the federal government generates unlimited cash. He doesn’t understand what the federal reserve is or how taxes work, and refuses to listen to anyone or read any sources provided. It’s not surprising since he’s unemployed and lives off his parents. If you showed him what percentage of taxes pay for welfare programs that directly benefit the poor, he would still claim that:
1) They somehow only benefit big business;
2) “The Government” can just print more dollar bills indefinitely with no negative consequences;
3) Some inexplicable nonsense he’s stated several times about the government creating some kind of magical fake new money that they start using, that they can then buy back later (?) with no negative consequences for anyone;
4) Taking taxes from person X, giving those taxes to person Y, and then collecting a percentage of that money given to person Y as tax creates a positive ROI and unlimited money cycle (lol);
5) Inflation doesn’t exist and printing trillions of dollars directly causes deflation.

This kid is one step away from believing that money grows on trees. I can’t imagine how he managed to learn the opposite of the truth about everything related to money, the economy, the government, etc... it’s baffling how profoundly wrong and aggressively stupid his positions are. I want to believe he’s a middle schooler and has been brainwashed by communist parents, but it’s very possible he’s a 40+ year old NEET with a 60 IQ.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-29 22:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

"There is no such thing as a free lunch" sure, but heres the thing; money put into the economy to those that need it gets spent, and productivity as a whole goes up.

Also, the US is already a very heavy welfare nation. Anyone trying to make this type of argument you are is either using someone, or being used. The reality is we have very heavy social welfare systems and policies, but are only given to major companies that use the money selfishly, and dont redistribute it as effectively.

Ontop of that; heavily supplementing the economy right now is always going to return more money than you could lose. Failure to put money out with no strings attached means the economy will tank harder and harder, and youll get less and less in return in future taxes as fewer people can put money into taxes, and those that can put forth less.

And finally; yes, the federal government has unlimited funds. It can also completely invalidate its currency and make a new one if they so please.

You are wrong. There is no such thing as unlimited funds. If you don't know anything about debt. Grab a book and read it.

Also, you don't just invalidate a currency. It's doesn't work. Nobody cares about your currency. Debt is not a currency. Read up Russia collapse.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-29 22:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

You are wrong. There is no such thing as unlimited funds. If you don't know anything about debt. Grab a book and read it.

Also, you don't just invalidate a currency. It's doesn't work. Nobody cares about your currency. Debt is not a currency. Read up Russia collapse.

I didnt say invalidating it is a good idea, i said they could. Money is just a piece of paper people have some degree of faith in. As far as the government is concerned, they literally cannot go bankrupt, and they literally can generate as much money as they want. Its why theres no questions about who is going to pay for it whenever youre signing a bill for bombs for someone else's back yard, or to bail out big businesses who refuse to save even though they have the means to, or banks. The government cannot go bankrupt, it has unlimited funds by law. If congress signs it, it has the money.

Add onto that welfare/social programs being the best return on investment you have in any economy whatsoever with tax spending... and there is literally no reason not to implement UBI, ESPECIALLY during this crisis.
First Page 2 3 ... 97 98 99 ... 129 130 131