Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 129 130 131
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 15:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
NO PARKING THERE ON TUESDAY FROM 2PM-11PM??
WHAT KINDA FREEDOM IS THAT?!

The same kind of freedom where you decide to call "french fries" "freedom fries" because youre mad at the french.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-04-18 16:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
The idea that farms are "closed" because you can't buy seeds at walmart is absolutely ludicrous.
Yeah, because how else are you going to produce with no supplies, right?

But I believe that you think that things just pop out of the ground by itself.

Want an XBox? Go to the wishing tree to get it!
Most farmers buy their seed in huge bulk well before planting seasons, some even go so far as to re-harvest previous years seeds also, the art of agriculture didn't start with the advent of selling seed. There are ways to have seeds on hand, most smart farmers had their seed by now.

As much as I hate to agree with Eiryl, he does have a point with that one.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ruaumoko 2020-04-18 17:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

'Murica

This is exactly why AI will kill us all. Save humans from humans.
2020's Darwin Awards are going to be an absolute screamer.
By missdivine 2020-04-18 17:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Strict lockdown in Puerto Rico, everything is closed. The only time to go out is 5am to 6pm and if you're outside without a mask the police will file a report on you. Police is strictly monitoring all the vehicles that go out after 7pm. The government is not allowing anyone from Newyork or FL to land here but for business purposes.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 17:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
'Murica

This is exactly why AI will kill us all. Save humans from humans.
2020's Darwin Awards are going to be an absolute screamer.

Sadly, it wont be darwin awards, as most of these asswipes wont off themselves, but their family or strangers they never even met.
By Draylo 2020-04-18 19:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

They may not be the most intelligent, but can you blame people for panicking? Most can't just stay home all happily because they are losing tons of money... A lot of people. Not everyone can work from home or survive off a laughable 1,200 check. They say that should last you 10 weeks... LOL, when avg rent in NYC exceeds that by quite a bit. I just don't get how there aren't more protests from people, I'm honestly surprised its as tame as it is right now, I'm guessing people are scared of the virus.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 19:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
They may not be the most intelligent, but can you blame people for panicking? Most can't just stay home all happily because they are losing tons of money... A lot of people. Not everyone can work from home or survive off a laughable 1,200 check. They say that should last you 10 weeks... LOL, when avg rent in NYC exceeds that by quite a bit. I just don't get how there aren't more protests from people, I'm honestly surprised its as tame as it is right now, I'm guessing people are scared of the virus.

Thats on the government for not taking any of this seriously. Hell, a few republicans even complained that "1200 is too much because minimum wage is less than that and we dont want to give people more money than they normally get"...

Doesnt really excuse them for being idiots and falling for the same exact bs talking points the people *** them over tell them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-18 20:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The idea that farms are "closed" because you can't buy seeds at walmart is absolutely ludicrous.
Yeah, because how else are you going to produce with no supplies, right?

But I believe that you think that things just pop out of the ground by itself.

Want an XBox? Go to the wishing tree to get it!
Most farmers buy their seed in huge bulk well before planting seasons, some even go so far as to re-harvest previous years seeds also, the art of agriculture didn't start with the advent of selling seed. There are ways to have seeds on hand, most smart farmers had their seed by now.

As much as I hate to agree with Eiryl, he does have a point with that one.
Fine, I was wrong.

But the executive order did originally ban them until it issued a "clarification"

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 20:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably the biggest upside to all this is that it likely helped with the threat of global warming a decent bit, even if only a temporary measure.

Kinda sad that you need a pandemic to get nations to do something that will help combat the even worse threat looming in the distance, even if unintentionally so.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-04-18 20:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Probably the biggest upside to all this is that it likely helped with the threat of global warming a decent bit, even if only a temporary measure.

Kinda sad that you need a pandemic to get nations to do something that will help combat the even worse threat looming in the distance, even if unintentionally so.

This is true to a lesser extent than you might believe from headline browsing for four reasons:
1) much of the automotive emissions are from trucks, and we have more of those than ever
2) industry hasn't really shut down too much outside of China
3) the US reduced air quality standards as we were using less gas
4) OPEC+ failed to function as a cartel due to the brief blip in Chinese demand and tanked the price of oil
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-18 20:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kind of incredible the difference a month makes.

On this note, it snowed 4 days in a row... in mid april. Now that's not entirely abnormal, but you can't help but wonder if that has at least a little to do with air quality/pollution etc. 1-2 degrees can mean the difference between april showers and april blizzard.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 21:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

On this note, it snowed 4 days in a row... in mid april. Now that's not entirely abnormal, but you can't help but wonder if that has at least a little to do with air quality/pollution etc. 1-2 degrees can mean the difference between april showers and april blizzard.

I dont think it would have that big an effect that rapidly, and is more likely due to seasonal shifting because of global energy increasing. Climate isnt static and is generally very weird and volatile.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-04-18 21:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Where are you on the jet stream curve?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/what-are-jet-streams-and-how-do-they-influence-the-weather-we-experience-2/433431
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-18 21:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I mean look, snow isn't abnormal here. Lots of lake-effect.

Typically, it's only ~1 day of snowfall in april (averages) we're at 4 in a row.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Michigan/snowfall-april.php#a
https://www.michiganradio.org/post/snow-april-not-fun-not-uncommon-michigan
By Viciouss 2020-04-18 21:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When I lived in Chicago it snowed in April every year and often in May.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-18 21:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Record April snowfall on the way

Quote:
For the second time in less than 48 hours, the Chicago area is set to eclipse another late-season snowfall benchmark.

I'm in no way saying it's directly related (yet) just, interesting right now. All of our factories are shut down and we just so happen to get record breaking snowfall. (instead of rainfall)

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-18 23:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Record April snowfall on the way

Quote:
For the second time in less than 48 hours, the Chicago area is set to eclipse another late-season snowfall benchmark.

I'm in no way saying it's directly related (yet) just, interesting right now. All of our factories are shut down and we just so happen to get record breaking snowfall. (instead of rainfall)

Youd likely see a massive reduction in pollution and improvement in air quality, which would actually make it less likely to rain/snow in the immediate future, as pollution does encourage droplets forming.

Its likely just a case of correlation =/= causation. Interesting to think about, but unlikely to be a major short term influence. And unlikely to see much long term affects because, ya know, after all this... probably have everything start up again.

Would be nice to finally start working on revamping our infrastructure to renewable energy.... If only people would realize that solar panels means lower electricity bill.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-18 23:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/tech/science/environment/2020/04/16/wind-energy-iowa-largest-source-electricity/5146483002/

Quote:
A new report from the American Wind Energy Association says wind is now the largest single source of electricity in Iowa.

According to the trade association's Wind Powers America 2019 Annual Report, Iowa is now generating more than 10,000 megawatts of wind energy, accounting for more than 40% of the state's electricity.

Wind became the leading source of electricity in both Iowa and Kansas this year, making them the first states to reach that benchmark. Previously, coal-fired power generation had been Iowa's main source of electricity.

Solar is a little trickier, snow and hail are from from optimal for solar panels.

Musk actually had an "thought experiment" that we could build a (huge) solar farm out in BFE and actually did a scaled down version for Australia for a bet.

Quote:
Elon Musk's Plan for One Giant Solar Farm Is a Little Insane, but Not Completely Insane
Quote:
Musk guesstimates the farm would be 100 km by 100 km. His idea isn’t feasible on its own, and is largely considered a gestural idea toward the possibility for new solutions with existing technology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNFxUHeftK4 (the first five minutes talks about it)
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-19 00:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/tech/science/environment/2020/04/16/wind-energy-iowa-largest-source-electricity/5146483002/

Quote:
A new report from the American Wind Energy Association says wind is now the largest single source of electricity in Iowa.

According to the trade association's Wind Powers America 2019 Annual Report, Iowa is now generating more than 10,000 megawatts of wind energy, accounting for more than 40% of the state's electricity.

Wind became the leading source of electricity in both Iowa and Kansas this year, making them the first states to reach that benchmark. Previously, coal-fired power generation had been Iowa's main source of electricity.

Solar is a little trickier, snow and hail are from from optimal for solar panels.

Musk actually had an "idea" that we could build a (huge) solar farm out in BFE and actually did a scaled down version for Australia for a bet.

The biggest hurdle to solar at the personal level is just energy storage, which some prototypes have been out and in use a while. Not really sure how well theyve been holding up.

At an industrial level; its consistency, or a full overhaul of our infrastructure... which we need anyway. Hell, would be nice to FINALLY adopt EU electrical appliance ***.... the stupid bare prong death traps and shitty power strips really should have died a long time ago in the US. First to invent, last to update.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-19 00:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched something recently on the batteries we would need with current tech. It was pretty wild.

Acid/Iron and Lithium/Ion just don't cut it, but there's promise in something around the corner.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-19 00:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-19 00:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The irony is that the mask depicted does nothing to keep the person wearing them safe (well, it does help, but its minimal as its not exactly air tight)

The point of that mask is so if you have it, most droplets from your speech/coughing/general breathing gets caught so you spread much less of the virus if you do have it.

So its literally not an example of "my body, my choice".
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-19 00:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched something recently on the batteries we would need with current tech. It was pretty wild.

Acid/Iron and Lithium/Ion just don't cut it, but there's promise in something around the corner.

Solid state batteries are really something, and its the same guy thats invented so much other ***. Goodenough was definitely more than good enough, dudes a *** legend.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-19 00:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude is a gangsta.

Quote:
Goodenough still works at the university at age 97 as of 2019, hoping to find another breakthrough in battery technology.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-19 00:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

One more Corona thing before bed:

The Governator made masks. A little expensive... and unfortunately won't ship for two whole weeks.
https://represent.com/arnold-schwarzeneggers-well-be-back-mask
Quote:
100% of the profits will go to After-School All-Stars, which I founded in 1992.

(Michigan protesters, Witmer is MI Governor)
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-19 00:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the one person protesting while wearing a mask....

"Open back up, but i still dont wanna get sick"

So close to being intelligent. So close.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-04-19 00:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone know someone that has contracted the coronavirus?
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 129 130 131